main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Species: Force-users

Discussion in 'Literature' started by General Immodet, Feb 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. General Immodet

General Immodet Jedi Master star 5

Dec 5, 2012
    Authors have already created Jedi and Sith who are members of many different species.
    For example, Darth Nihl was a Nagai. Plagueis was a Muun.

However, some species have seldomly been used for such purposes.
    I cannot come up with a Geonosian or Skakoan Sith Lord (or Jedi Master).

Thoughts!

2. BultarSwan

BultarSwan Founder: Grand Rapids, MI FF star 10

Jul 5, 2003
    Hmmm I'd think that a part of it is that no one has specifically gone into the right mode, where they would go about creating characteristics for less well-known species, shown those ideas to the proper authorities (GL?) and then gone on with their story. Also, speaking as a writer it's also easier to write what you know. Human, for example or near-human. *shrugs* Just a thought.

General Immodet likes this.
  3. General Immodet

Dec 5, 2012
    It is probably because it is easier to let humans or near-humans express emotions.
    Geonosians and Killiks are controled by a hive mind. It is problamatic to imagine how they express emotions.

4. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    I am not sure why people think Geonosians have a hive mind. They have clearly and repeatedly been shown to have individual personalities. Even their caste system is more like a human one than an insect one.

5. BultarSwan

BultarSwan Founder: Grand Rapids, MI FF star 10

Jul 5, 2003
    Killiks yes, but we've seen it clearly in other aspects of sci-fi/fantasy say, in Star Trek with the borg... Other examples elude me at the moment but it is more than doable. Geonosians, as far as I'm aware do NOT have a hive mind. Although my knowledge is by no means complete. Sure, it's easier to let humans/near humans express emotions but anyone who has taken the time to draw a 'facial expression' of a dog or cat can do that with an alien species. Also, it would seem to me that there is an abundance of cgi programs, modeling material and drawing skills to overcome that sort of thing. I don't think we should limit this conversation to movies only however. In books you have many more. I'm not sure, are we talking about movies only?

6. Mechalich

Mechalich Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 2, 2010
    The EU currently posts ~1800 sentient species according to Wookieepedia. The majority of which are represented by a single individual. An extremely small number of species, less than 100 all told, have been used to represent the overwhelming majority of all characters in all works (TOR, for example, currently operates with ~60 sentient species). Of these species, which are the only ones we can examine as species and not as individuals, the vast majority have been shown to possess at least some potential for Force sensitivity.

Killiks are an exception to normal cases, and it probably has something to do with their unusual shared mental processes, in that most true Killiks lack any individual identity.

7. Super_Battle_Droid

Super_Battle_Droid Jedi Master star 5

May 8, 2002
  8. Cronal

Cronal Jedi Master star 4

Dec 17, 2009
    Wow, nice touch by TOR there. A Geonosian AND a Drall, kind of cool :D

Also, in my opinion, Geonosians I believe are hive minded but not a hive mind race. Hive minded in that their society has it be the case that the hive is all important. But they don't have a hive mind otherwise you wouldn't be having Geonosians that resent the caste system and seek to either leave their homeworld or gain glory in the arena.

9. Mechalich

Mechalich Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 2, 2010
    Okay, I can't resist getting onto the entomological soapbox for a minute here.

'Hive mind' is one of the most ridiculous, poorly structured, and often outright absurd terms/tropes in science fiction. It's based on a fundamental understanding of how eusocial insect populations actually work. The idea of a 'hive mind' comes from failing to understand of a complete sequence of chemical cues, responses, and behvaioral patterns present the illusion of vast numbers of individual organisms acting as one. The 'superorganism' reresents ecological functionality, not the inherent nature of ants or termites.

Therefore 'hive mind' is a fantastical construct that implies shared thought across all members of the colony or colonies in a eusocial context. This is largely, abject BS, since there's no real mechanism short of universal braod-spectrum telepathy to produce such a phenomenon, but we're somehow stuck with it. it is a fantastical invention designed to reconcile eucosial behavior with conscious thought, and does so poorly at best.

In Star Wars the Killiks have a true 'hive mind' the various members of the individual breeds do not have individuality, and neither do really any members of the nest save the entity that acts as its leader/representative. The Killiks really, really do not make much sense but I guess we're stuck with them. Other species, such as Geonosians and Colicoids do not appear to have a true hive mind, but they have some sort of division of labor caste structure that includes physical differences. This may extend to the point, as TOR implies it does in Colicoids, that only certain components of the species are actually sentient.

MercenaryAce likes this.
  10. General Immodet

Dec 5, 2012
    Does anyone else know other examples of species who have not been used much as Sith or Jedi?

Hmmm, hive mind, it would probably have been better if I did not use the term, but you know what I mean.

11. Cronal

Dec 17, 2009
    Other species? Plenty... Yevetha, Ssi-ruuk, Vagaari etc.

12. Super_Battle_Droid

Super_Battle_Droid Jedi Master star 5

May 8, 2002
    Neimoidians, I think we've only seen one Sith, and I think no Jedi.

13. General Immodet

Dec 5, 2012
    The Neimoidian Sith appeared in Legacy if I am correct.
    I would love to see more Neimoidians in the post-ROTJ time period.
    That is probably because they all are species who stick to themselves. Apart from that, they are also pretty agressive.
    The Jedi did not encounter them much and if they did, I am not sure whether those species would just give their child away to the Jedi Order.
    For the Sith, those species draw too much attention.

14. Cronal

Dec 17, 2009
    Indeed, ultimately such species would end up as darksiders even if they did become Force users. Sources like the Alien Anthology I think say that the Yevetha and Ssi-ruuk are Force blind as a species but that seems more like a game mechanic rather than something definitive.

15. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    It seems he was fanon...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.