main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Poll: Clone Wars or Prequel Anakin

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by phonz3, Feb 21, 2013.

?

Anyone else like TCW Anakin way better than movie Anakin?

1. Yes - Love Cartoon Anakin

76.7%
  2. No - Like Hayden better

23.3%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ObiAlKenobi

ObiAlKenobi Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 10, 2012
    The Clone Wars version of Anakin is a much better character. You can actually see the friendship between him and Obi-Wan. The prequels never convinced me of that supposed friendship. In the movies, he comes across as whiny and a bad apple. TCW Anakin you can really see this noble Jedi. Nothing against Hayden. I think he did a fine job with what he was given. I blame how his character was written.

AvadaKenobi and Dark Lord Tarkas like this.
  2. JEDI-RISING

JEDI-RISING Chosen One star 6

Apr 15, 2005
    Well honestly CW Anakin is inconsistent with the prequels. I can't see ROTS Anakin having already had an apprentice. And i'm not sure CW Anakin would have given into Sidious.
    I'm leaning towards Hayden-Anakin i think.

3. Placeholder

Placeholder Jedi Master star 4

Jan 30, 2013
    The movies butchered the character, I never believed that that was the guy Obiwan tells Luke about in ANH.

The cartoon version is much better

Dark Lord Tarkas likes this.
  4. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Jedi Master star 5

Sep 21, 2012
    We are talking about Anakin's characterization here.

5. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    TCW isn't a cartoon, it's animated ;)

6. KilroyMcFadden

KilroyMcFadden Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 31, 2012
    The movies do a pretty bad job of making Anakin into a hero and good friend. I actually like TCW Anakin. I can actually imagine being friends with or looking up to someone like him. The true tragedy of the PT is that Anakin was supposed to be a good person that was seduced by the dark side, but instead what the greater movie going public got was a whiny, petulant, creepy, spiteful little self absorbed punk. He was basically a bad guy from the beginning, so it didn't resonate emotionally when he changed his name and started killing good guys. Kudos to the writers of TCW for the hard work they are doing to erase the damage GL did to Anakin's back story.

7. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    With Lucas role in the TCW and that it was his decision to make Ahsoka, Anakin's apprentice, rather than another Jedi, I wonder if Lucas maybe agrees with this view a bit too.

8. Dark Lord Tarkas

Dark Lord Tarkas Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2011
    =D=
    I already backed off "hours of evil" so I'm not sure why you're clinging to that so tightly. I admit it was hyperbole. But you still haven't clarified what is so different about being a good man versus being noble. That's okay though, I can make the point without use of that word if that's the problem here.

The OT tells the story that Luke Skywalker's father was one of the Jedi Knights, a guardian of peace and justice in the galaxy, the same as Obi-Wan Kenobi, and is then seduced by the dark side of the Force, betrays his true self, and becomes a totally different person. It is heavily emphasized that the person who Anakin Skywalker was ceased to exist once he became Darth Vader. The PT just doesn't illustrate that clear breaking point. Ep. I has no meaningful development in this regard, it just reveals where he came from. Ep. II shows him struggling to embrace the Jedi way and knowingly violating it. Ep. III shows someone with a warm relationship with Obi-Wan (finally) but otherwise still constantly clashing with the Jedi as an organization - and then betraying them, perfectly in line with his proclivity toward the dark side and opposing the Jedi he already had going. That's not the story Obi-Wan tells in Ep. VI or the story he tells in Ep. IV as amended by Ep. VI. Yes, Yoda tells Luke about how Darth Vader showed anger and other dark side traits before his turn to evil in Ep. V, but the PT story could have been told in a way that fit both descriptions instead of abandoning one and going wholesale on the other.

Certain TCW episodes like The Jedi Who Knew Too Much finally show the side of Anakin that was a true Jedi Knight, the same as Obi-Wan, that we didn't really get to see in the PT. When his Padawan was on the run, he told her to come back and plead her case to the Jedi Council even though he knew it looked really bad for her. Even when it was emotionally tough (there's the dark side aspect), he did what a Jedi should have done (there's the true Jedi Knight aspect).

9. Legacy Jedi Endordude

Legacy Jedi Endordude Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 9, 2012
    For once I almost agree with you, ALMOST.........

10. KilroyMcFadden

KilroyMcFadden Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 31, 2012
    Lol. You'll get there.

11. Rawne

Rawne Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 2, 2008
    TCW Anakin by far. Benefits of a medium don't cut it for me. In the Prequels he goes from a freshfaced kid to a whiny, petulant, impatient and thoroughly unlikable young man. it's very hard for me to reconcile him butchering Tusken Raider children and railing against the Jedi Order with Obi-Wan's "good man" and "good friend" comments in the OT.

Hayden's best work is once Anakin is 'gone' and replaced with Vader.

Dark Lord Tarkas likes this.
  12. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    Since TCW takes place during the PT era, I'll say both.

13. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    Anakin was not a Jedi Knight yet in EP II, and in EP III he was in big struggle since so many problems were surrounding him so he could not keep calm.

14. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    Anakin was a hero, just in EP II he had not experienced the war and become a knight yet. Even in OT Obi Wan never said he was a mature hero from the beginning.

As for self absorbed, Vader is quite self absorbed in OT, and Yoda also said "Much anger in him...like his father".

Even Obi Wan had certain time being a bit "whiny" and rebellious young man when he was a young padawan. Even Palpatine was a bit "whiny" when he was young.

15. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    It was not a natural part of his personality, no, but I wouldn't say he "could not" keep calm. Palpatine encouraged him not to, told him that his feelings "made him special" (yeah, they did, but not in a good way), therefore he didn't even try. Jedi training is good for someone whose natural personality does not tend towards remaining calm. Anakin chose not to use it.

16. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    Hayden's Anakin comes across as dark and moody, because during AotC and RotS he was going through some terrible things. Not to say the Clone Wars isn't terrible, but coping with his feelings for Padme, later killing his now wife, losing his mother, wiping out the Jedi Order and attempting to murder his mentor don't really lend themselves to a happy, nice guy Anakin.

17. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    The situation is too complexed for him, more than anything he experienced in TCW(maybe except when he saw the future in Mortis). Palpatine was luring him with the power of the Dark Side. The Jedi Council were asking him to watch Palpatine and could let him go against Palpatine, he was also in a big panic about the nightmare of Padme and his children's death. I'm not saying his action is right or wrong, it's quite nature for a young man to lose his calm, even a Jedi.

I now think PT didn't really "mischaracterize" Anakin, of course certain lines could be better. It just showed the most "rebellious" and immature(EP II) and the worst moment of Anakin, which a man is hard to keep calm.

18. DARTH_small_paw

DARTH_small_paw Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 7, 2012
    Easily I like Clone Wars Anakin better. To me he IS my version of Anakin that I picture in my head. I pick and choose what I acknowledge and ignore in the Star Wars franchise and for me its all Clone Wars all the way.

KilroyMcFadden likes this.
  19. Dark Lord Tarkas

Dark Lord Tarkas Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2011
    That may be the problem, but it doesn't make the issue go away. You can identify why the PT didn't match the OT, that doesn't make them match.

20. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    What didn't match? Did Obi Wan say Anakin was already very mature before he became a Jedi Knight? He actually said Vader was once a young student. Vader said he was just a learner last time. Yoda also said there was much anger in Anakin.

People ignored Anakin's situation in EP II, he was 19 and hadn't experienced the war yet, most of the people have "rebellious, whiny teenager" period during their 16-19, even the perfect old Jedi like Obi Wan or a pure Sith like Palpatine. Not to say Palpatine was keep luring him to the Dark Side and he lost his one of most important relatives in EP II.

21. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    "The boy you trained, gone he is. Consumed by Darth Vader."

There were no multiple descriptions. There was one portrayal of Anakin in the OT, and it was entirely consistent. We may note that over the years no one ever complained that the "Holy Trilogy" had inconsistent descriptions of Anakin. What you apparently wanted was for TESB's information on the matter to be ignored, and "noble" to be confirmed, even though "noble" was never said anywhere in the films ( or even by Lucas ) and was made up by a segment of the fan base. In essence Lucas chose to be consistent with the OT on this point and is being faulted for doing so. Because kowtowing to the revisionism of fans would by definition have been so much better.

Except for the places we did see it, which didn't count, because he wasn't a paragon of virtue like Obi-Wan never told us he was.

When his mentor confessed to being a Sith, he ratted out said mentor to the Jedi. Even when it was tough because he knew that doing so looked potentially really bad for Padme ( there's the dark side aspect ), he did what a Jedi should have done ( there's the true Jedi Knight aspect ).

Context is important. Once again, Obi-Wan wasn't talking about Anakin's character during the conversation where he said he was once a Jedi Knight "the same as" Anakin, despite the fact that fans feel the need to insist that he was. He wasn't discussing who was a "true" Jedi Knight and who wasn't - that's a conversation some fans are having with themselves, not anything expressed in the film. Luke's question was "You fought in the Clone Wars?", not "Was my father a paragon of virtue and exactly like yourself?" The only way the PT would have failed to agree with Obi-Wan's dialogue here would be if it failed to depict Anakin and Obi-Wan as card-carrying Jedi fighting together in the Clone Wars. Did it?

22. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    I think these people only remembered Obi Wan's words in EP IV, even though he was NOT telling all the truth at that time and ignored everything else.

23. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    Pls, if we want to talk about "OT's description of Anakin", we have to take out people's quote, that include Obi Wan, Yoda and Vader's. Obi Wan's lines in EP IV has the weakest effect compare to other lines since he was telling a LIE to Luke about his father. And most importantly, Darth Vader himself.

Also Obi Wan is not a paragon of virtue, he is a paragon of the Old Jedi, but the Old Jedi itself has quite a few flaws.

24. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    There should have been a Both option.

rumsmuggler likes this.
  25. Dan_Grievous_Tikkes_Fan

Dan_Grievous_Tikkes_Fan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    It is so hard to choose, but the latest S5 arc has really made me love Anakin again. I used to despise Anakin and his way of speaking and ways of acting through Seasons 3 and 4. But this finale arc has done wonders with him in every way and the most magical thing - everything he says or he does does not annoy me. Matt Lanter is doign a genius job in the episodes like "The Jedi who knew too much" and "To catch a Jedi". All of his performances are so amazing in this arc, especially, the dialogue he performs for the Pipe scene with Ahsoka preparing to jump.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.