main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation Will EP VII win an Oscar?

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by bluemilkcheesypuffs77, Feb 24, 2013.

1. anakin-the-chosen-one

anakin-the-chosen-one Jedi Master

Feb 17, 2013
    I highly doubt it, Star Wars was always snubbed at the Oscars and Episode VII will be no different unfortunately ): I hope I'm wrong!

2. Echo-07

Echo-07 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2012
    Actually I hope it wins no awards. Being awarded an Oscar is realy a joke, a sham. These major awards -- millionaires awarding other millionaires -- has become a farce. Who really takes it seriously? They have zero indication of quality whatsoever.

DarthBreezy and Ryus like this.
  3. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I can see technical awards being given, but the Academy usually hates sci-fi.

4. Big Bad Yoda Daddy

Big Bad Yoda Daddy Force Ghost star 4

Mar 8, 2000
    Isn't the big shots awarding the big shots everything that Star Wars isn't about? There's a reason one of the most influential movies of all time lost to Annie Hall in 1978, and it's not because it Woody Allen had the superior movie.

5. CloneTrooperFox

CloneTrooperFox Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 27, 2013
    I agree with you on this. Avatar lost out as best motion picture to the hurt locker. I really did like the hurt locker. But I have re watched Avatar several times, and only seen hurt locker once and i have no interest in re watching it.

Same as last night. Argo was a great movie. But The Avengers blew Argo out of the water in my opinion and the avengers wasn't even up for best picture. I can rewatch Avengers and in never gets old. Argo i will watch once or twice and i probably won't watch it for a really long time.

Star Wars Episode VII may be up for best picture in two years....But than again I thought The Avengers was going to be up this year... So scratch that. Yeah maybe just be nominated for visual or something like that, but it will not win anything.Sadly... I can tell you that without even knowing anything about episode VII. :(

6. BoromirsFan

BoromirsFan Jedi Master star 4

May 16, 2010
    I highly doubt Episode VII will be considered thought provoking enough to warrant a nom.

Maybe it will have fanboys cheering at generic fanservice thrown their way ala The Avengers, but I don't think there will be much depth. I say this because of J.J abrams. But if the writer's work comes through more than the director, we might have something special.

7. CloneTrooperFox

CloneTrooperFox Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 27, 2013
    Has nothing to do with star wars... but i heard of a mass effect movie coming out. :)

8. Dranem

Dranem JCF Banner Contest Winner star 1 VIP - Game Winner

Oct 31, 2012
    The best chance Star Wars had at winning an Oscar was when it lost to Annie Hall in 1978. I can't name you the last 3 best picture winners besides Argo, and that is only because it is fresh in my mind. On the other hand, I can pretty much name every background character in episodes I-VI and quote more of those movies than I can most books. The Oscars are a joke, but I do like when the movies pick up technical honors. But if you are looking for any award show as a barometer for good movies, you might want to look elsewhere. Don't get me wrong, Lincoln and other films were superb this year but I don't watch those on a annual rotation like I do Star Wars or other personal favorites. If I let critics, others, or Oscars determine my tastes I'd be a "recommended for you" computer algorithm on Netflix, not a human.

9. DarthPancho

DarthPancho Jedi Youngling

Feb 22, 2013
    See: The Dark Knight.

'Cause that's the best we can aim for. [face_whistling]

10. Trebor Sabreon

Trebor Sabreon Former Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 15, 2010
    I was thinking to myself last evening, "wouldn't it be great to have Daniel Day Lewis in the ST?" From the world of television, I've considered that Andrew Lincoln might make for a fine choice, too.

Can't say I agree with your 'con,' though. An actor as good as Lewis lifts up those around him, helping to pull better performances from other players in a way in which even a good director often cannot. That and I disagree that Mark Hamill (who's wonderful performance, along with Frank Oz, was so vital to making Yoda believable in ESB) would be made to look "awful" by anyone. The same goes for both Harry and Carrie (and we don't even know who the rest of the new cast will comprise).

In the end, the point is moot, as, shame that it is, we'll never get Lewis. I doubt that 'feelers' will ever even be sent out to gague whether he even has any interest.

As you say, the awards for the more technical categories are probably the most likely.

T-R- likes this.
  11. Darth Claire

Darth Claire Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2012
    Tell that to the academy/critics. If DDL was in SW7 you can bet your bottom dollar they're gunna be more tough on a actor who hasn't played that character in over 32 years than you know...Cinema Jesus *as the academy calls DDL*. *plus I can imagine acting with him would be intimidating as heck. I'd be nervous acting along side a 3 time oscar winner* EIther way the only way DDL would be SW7 is if A)The script is BEYOND amazing and he gets a lot of say in how its made and B)He's a major character and gets a lot of screentime. I can't see somebody like him being just a supporting role *and no way can he pass off as a skywalker kid. :p*

12. Boba's Jetpack

Boba's Jetpack Jedi Youngling

Feb 24, 2013
    A bit daft this eh? The things not even started filming.

13. Darth Claire

Dec 21, 2012
    Its never too early to make quick assumptions and go into panic mode ;)

Padme501st and Boba's Jetpack like this.
  14. darthgator1217

darthgator1217 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 25, 2005
    No way. Not even for visual or sound effects. If Ben could not take home an Oscar for the brilliant pod race sequence alone (TPM has one of the best sound mixes period) I just do not see it happening.

CloneTrooperFox likes this.
  15. Trebor Sabreon

Sep 15, 2010
    Well, I don't care about the critics or the academy, just a good SW performance. I wasn't considering them at all in my equation.

I think the chance to work with Mr. Lewis would be embraced in a heartbeat by the OT cast. Intimidating? Nervous? Nonsense! These are professionals. I understand when you say you'd be nervous (so would I), but then, I imagine that, like me, you're not a professional actor. These folks are. They are among the small percentage of people on earth who have the talent to carry big-budget feature films. It's like saying an NBA player wouldn't want Michael Jordan to play on their team because they're afraid of being around his talent (and that's just silly, no?).

But again, moot point. We have as much of a chance of seeing Daniel Day Lewis appear in Jedi robes during the ST as we do you or I appearing. It's not going to happen.

16. Darth Claire

Dec 21, 2012
    While I dont want to argue on whether a guy who hasn't played a character in 32 years will be able to perfectly slip back into character but whatev thats not the point. Point being that if ST wanted to get some acting/director/whatever oscar it would probably need to....well.....lets just say unless a miracle happens from the new cast I can't see it getting any actor nods. Writing maybe since the academy likes their pixar but they'll probably just go for one of those oscar bait films about mental illness or a historical figure. Best bet is visuals. As you said we're on star wars standards not oscar standards *plus I'll never forgive them for not nominating Avengers and Star Trek 2009 and TDK for more stuff*

17. TheManFromMortis

TheManFromMortis Jedi Master star 3

Nov 19, 2012
    _ _ _ _

I think Lucas's independence would, even if he were the greatest director, work against him. In my opinion, the Oscars are, to a great extent, just Hollywood obsessing about itself and giving itself a big pat on the back. To be frank, I just don't understand why millions of people want to watch all that back-slapping. Still, they do get some things right, including a third best male for Daniel Day Lewis.

TreborSabreon likes this.
  18. George Roper

George Roper Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 31, 2012
    No chance. There are at least 10 other films that haven't been made that are more deserving of an Oscar in 2016 than Episode VII.

19. Samuel Vimes

Samuel Vimes Force Ghost star 4

Sep 4, 2012
    About the academy hating scifi/SW.

I would agree that there is a bias but that is towards genre films as a whole.
    Scifi/Fantasy/Horror/Adventure/Super Hero haven't done all that well.
    But som have been nominated and some have even won.

Ex; Raiders of the lost Ark, ET, Star Wars, Apollo 13, the Sixth Sense, Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, Gladiator, all three LotR films, Avatar, District 9, Inception. Even some animated films have been nominated, Beauty and the Beast, Up, Toy Story 3.
    Don't forget Pulp Fiction, Inglorious Basterds and Django Unchained.

Bye for now.
    Old Stoneface

20. snap-hiss

snap-hiss Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 23, 2001
    What specific awards are you referring to? Best Actor/Actress, Best Picture?... probably not.

Best visual fx, sound editing, hair/makeup, ect?.... perhaps.

21. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    Couldn't agree more. Mark made a puppet appear real. A puppet he couldn't even hear by the way. This is one of the finest acting performances committed to film.

If he wasn't nervous acting against a puppet in the biggest movie sequel of all time with all the expectations a sequel to Star Wars had, he wouldn't be nervous acting opposite DDL or any other actor. If anything, they would be nervous acting opposite Luke Skywalker.

22. Trebor Sabreon

Sep 15, 2010
    +1.

Those scenes are a shining example of not only Mark's acting chops, but Frank Oz's absolute magic with a puppet, the incomparable work of John Williams and George Lucas' wondrous, fanciful vision. The paring of Luke Skywalker and Master Yoda (not forgetting R2 and Ben) on Dagobah is responsible for some of my very favorite moments in all of Star Wars.

23. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    Peter Jackson even said that the hardest role for an actor to portray is the "everyman", the character that the audience is supposed to identify with and connect to.

I'll say that I can't think of one character in movie history that the audience connected to more than Luke Skywalker.

24. MrFantastic74

MrFantastic74 Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 4, 2010
    About as likely as monkeys flying out of my butt.

25. Ron Fett

Ron Fett Jedi Padawan star 1

Nov 1, 2012
    Not going to happen. Well, maybe for visual effects or musical score.