main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation Will (Insert Character Name Here) Be in Episode VII?

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Jordan1Kenobi , Oct 31, 2012.

1. Placeholder

Placeholder Jedi Master star 4

Jan 30, 2013
    A general movie audience won't care one bit about that continuity. I'm a Star Wars fan, and I don't. Disney put billions into buying this property, they won't handcuff themselves to a minority who obsess over books read by few. They will make a movie with wide appeal, and if they want Chewie, there will be Chewie

2. run_luke_run

run_luke_run Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 18, 2004
    False, at least for the majority of us.

At a time when there was no intention of ever creating movies beyond ROTJ, much less the guarantee that there would be.

You seem to be missing the entire point. It's not "EU bashing" to point out the fact that anyone who has the knowledge that Chewie died in a book (much less the name of that book) belongs to a minority of a minority.

Let's say we have 1,000 people in our little society.

750 of those are Star Wars fans/interested parties who will go see the film.

300 of those know all the characters extremely well, and own copies of the films at home.

50 of those join websites like this to talk about the films/critique/debate.

1 of those has read Vector Prime.

It simply makes no sense whatsoever to not have a star character not in the next film, especially if all his chronies are in it. You want him dead? Fine...but that will be done onscreen.

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  3. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002
    But even many of those fans who read Vector Prime and are familiar with it (and the following books) will just say 'No Matter, bring him back, I still enjoyed the books for what they were." - Granted, not a lot of them, but still some. I'd say it's only a vocal handful that live and die by the written SWU...

4. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Han: "Hey why is Chewbacca's ghost over there with those old guys and that frog?"
    Luke: "Oh yeah Obi-Wan said he was a Jedi before the Clone Wars... wait you didn't know that?"

LOL that's the way to go!:p

Darth Claire likes this.
  5. Darth Claire

Darth Claire Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2012
    Better than
    New Hero #1: Hey what happened to Chewbacca
    Han: He was crushed by a moon and you're not gunna question it.
    New HEro #1: ................what?
    Han: I SAID DONT QUESTION ME!

6. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Chewbacca Force Ghost would be compellingly awful. Chewie just shimmers into existence, growls a bit, Luke sez "Hey! You're right, Chewie! Thanks!" Chewie growls, waves and disappears. Might as well run a scrolling graphic underneath that says "READ VECTOR PRIME!" during the whole bit.

7. jedimikey

jedimikey Jedi Padawan star 2

Oct 21, 2012
    LOL! That's YOUR opinion, LowBudget. Actually, VP made the NYT bestseller list (I know that doesn't mean much). In MY opinion, it was one of the most well-written books in the NJO series. On the other hand, you can't really expect SW books to read like Tolstoy...it's pulp sci-fi, and ALL OF IT is written as such. By your logic, one could say Robert E. Howard, or even H.P. Lovecraft is poorly written. So, you kind of have to like that sort of thing to enjoy it.

Also, are you aware that R.A. Salvatore wrote the Icewind Dale trilogy, and created one of the most popular fantasy heroes EVER? I highly recommend Salvatore's books to anyone who likes high adventure-fantasy fiction.

As for Chewbacca appearing in the ST...can anyone post a real, good, logical reason WHY he "must" be in it? Because I have yet to see one.

8. Boba's Jetpack

Boba's Jetpack Jedi Youngling

Feb 24, 2013
    Yeah in a book a vast majority of the movie going public doesn't even know exists.

9. DarthBreezy

Jun 4, 2002

1) Because he will be a huge magnet for the more 'casual' fans - even people who didn't car for the prequals raved about Chewie being in it. Casual fans = $$$ for Disney, and while we love Star Wars (including all different aspects) for our own reasons, for Disney and Lucasfilm, it's an investment.

2) $$$ for Lucasfilm

3) $$$ for Disney

4) Han with out Chewie is like the Falcon without a Hyperdrive...

10. jedimikey

Oct 21, 2012
    Uh, yeah...Breezy. That's all been said already. Like I said...I have yet to see one. Even the term "casual fan" is not logical. You are either a fan, or you are not (not means "general audience", a moviegoer who will see the movie in the theatre ONCE, and maybe buy the DVD or even a Visual Guide coffee table book, and that's it). I don't want to read the same pudu over and over. I want a REAL reason WHY we (I mean they) "must" have Chewbacca in order to tell a new and good Star Wars story. Posting dollar signs does not make a convincing argument, either. Chewbacca was a secondary character and never was a big money-maker. The original blue walrus face action figure is worth ten times what the original Chewbacca figure is worth, and the walrus-face didn't even have a speaking line in ANH.

11. DarthBreezy

Jun 4, 2002
    If you are discounting TCW (which has some excellent stories - 'Rookies' had nary a mention of any main character but was an epic story...

IN THAT CASE

Harrison is all but confirmed.

12. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    You really think Disney isn't gonna get the chance to sell some Chewbacca Episode 7 masks? They'll probably sell as much as Hulk hands, and freakin' Hulk hands sell like hotcakes and is one of the reasons Marvel kept putting Hulk into stuff!

13. run_luke_run

run_luke_run Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 18, 2004
    There have been several good, logical reasons posted. Simply because they are not good or logical from your perspective does not make them less-than. It's rather obvious that you have a difficult time correctly identifying good, logical reasoning. With that, we cannot help you.

DarthBreezy likes this.
  14. StarWarsFan91

StarWarsFan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2008
    I really think retconning Chewies death will take away a bunch of character development that Han had in the NJO, which would be dumb.

Besides I don't think Chewie is needed anyways to make Episode 7 successful, and i think if they kept Chewie's death, it could be done in a way that would not leave film only fans confused.

I just wish people could accept that he died, and that he isn't needed anymore in the GFFA. Sure he could appear in the EU, set sometime before his death, but his death signified the end of his journey. He had a great run, and he sure played his part in saving the world, but all heroes have an end, even Chewie.

jedimikey likes this.
  15. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    The EU doesn't exist. (Neither do the prequels for that matter...)

16. StarWarsFan91

Oct 14, 2008
    Look over here guys we have a SUPER UBER purist over here.

Move along, move along.

Darth Chiznuk , mes520 and Seagoat like this.
  17. DarthBreezy

Jun 4, 2002
    It was a BOOK - a part of a series of books that were loosely based on Star Wars and a bunch of author's ideas on 'what could have happened'... (I know, I know, so is all of Star Wars - but it sometimes disturbs me how hard some people are clinging to the idea that the EU is concrete when it comes to the new films).

I for one hope we do see the big furry oaf, alive and kicking in the films...

18. StarWarsFan91

Oct 14, 2008
    Just because it was a BOOK, does not mean it isn't important in the context of star wars canon. Most of the material on the star wars universe is not shown/presented in film, but in tv series, books, and comics. But that doesn't mean all that material isn't really that important, and should be overridden just because a new film comes along.

Just because said material CAN be overridden by a new film, doesn't mean it SHOULD.

Episode 7 should be made in a way that can please many type of star wars fans, not just those that only care about the films.

By the way, Lucas had a hand in killing Chewie.

19. Darth Claire

Darth Claire Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2012
    This is reminding me of the "Do you include kid Bucky in Cap" arguments. One side saying it was in the comics so it has to happen, the other side saying that you have to sacrifice somethings for the film. Nobody really won but whatever...........I still think the EU is not gunna matter in the end *I'm assuming by original story they meant not including ANYTHING from the EU....including Chewie's death*

20. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Anybody think that when Lucas is sitting down with various writers to kick around story ideas for the ST he's gonna be all like "Can't use Chewie, we killed him off in a novel in 1999!" Heck, I doubt he even remembers.

21. DarthBreezy

Jun 4, 2002
    Looks like it's going to be:
    Granted the article is from 2004 and the days of 'Sith' but
    "No wonder Peter "Chewbacca" Mayhew is smiling. Not only has he been rescued from obscurity and given the chance to reprise his role as our Wookiee comrade for Episode III, but his contract also stipulates that he'd be required to appear in Episodes 7, 8, and 9.

http://www.killermovies.com/s/starwarsepisodeiii/articles/3538.html

22. StarWarsFan91

Oct 14, 2008
    We don't know that.

23. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    No, we don't know that, but we do that Lucasfilm employs people whose sole purpose is to prevent continuity errors. If he forgot that he approved that, he'll be reminded.

24. DarthBreezy

Jun 4, 2002

You REALLY think some 'gofer' guy is going to tell the Creator 'You can't do that, it'll ruin continuity.'?

25. jedimikey

Oct 21, 2012
    *LOL* yes, well, personally I accepted Han without Chewie a long time ago. But that's neither here nor there. :) agreed, also, on TCW ep "Rookies". My fave TCW eps feature artoo and his various droid companions.

But the fact remains.

I would like to reiterate here what I have posted before on this subject: I actually don't care if they do, or do not, include everyone's favorite "walking carpet". I'm not going to flip out over it. I would view it just another silly thing that George and LFL would do, like having Darth Maul "resurrected" in TCW. It's cool, but also kinda...dumb.