main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit A/V Clone Wars Continuity Discussion (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by sabarte, May 12, 2008.

1. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    It's just that we've seen situations with injured characters who would benefit from the kind of healing described in the EU, and there are Jedi around but nobody does anything. ( Kind of like in ROTS. )

2. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    In light of these latest revelations, I'm assuming Barriss is charging her cards with explosive force, Gambit style, and is ready to murder everyone at the table.

Zorrixor, Sinrebirth , Nubbs and 4 others like this.
  3. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    She has to frame someone first. My money is on the guy with the bandaged head. He looks threatening.

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  4. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
    Wait.. wait... wait... wait.

No.

No, don't you see? If she's a Sorcerer of Tund or Rhand and she wants to truly "hide" her facial appearance, there's only ONE possible explanation:

SHE'S A CROKE!!!!

5. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    The light in the middle of the table = bomb.

6. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    But that might hit her as well. I bet it's in the droid. She's all evil now, after all, she'll sacrifice a droid.

7. HEDGESMFG

HEDGESMFG Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 20, 2010
    So I've given it some thought after what I said earlier...

1. Barris' rank is not mentioned in the arc, so Med Star is perfectly safe. No reason she can't be a Knight by this point. It would make more sense, even, Considering Luminara is all but missing throughout the arc to assume she's already Knighted by this time.
    2. I forgot about Old Wounds. If Maul ain't dead by the show's end... Old Wounds is canon to me. Problem solved! (I don't care about the legs. His new ones in the Mauldalore arc broke, so he built another set.)
    3. Barriss' death was featured only in the Episode III comic adaptation, not the Republic comics like I initially thought. While I still consider the change of her fate annoying, I can actually accept the scene as seen in the Ep III adaption as non-canon fairly easily. Why? Very often, comic adaptations of film work have major differences from the film version. Most are often downright poor adaptations of the main films (unlike the Ep III novel, which is excellent and surpasses the film's writing in many respects). Sadly, Reversal of Fortune (which I was unaware of until this week) will have larger problems, much like Obsession. The real issue remains the outright changing of her character, however, so if I'm to accept this change, she better have a damn good motive in the final episode.
    4. Just kill Ashoka in Dark Times at Vader's hand and we're good to go.

Thank god for Visionaries. I feel better now.

8. GGrievous

GGrievous Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2005
    Zeta1127 likes this.
  9. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    I don't even know what to say in response to TCW ruining everything anymore...

mnjedi likes this.
  10. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Embrace that feeling.

Havac likes this.
  11. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    Your hatred makes you powerful.

GGrievous You don't want Vader to kill Ahsoka? Do you have a preferred death for our young Grand Master? ^:)^

Esg likes this.
  12. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
    Eh, it's all good practice for when EVII steamrolls over everything and Disney usher in the EU 2.0.

13. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    Just for the record, I will reiterate for the thousandth time that I feel TCW's reputation as a canon steamroll is a bit exaggerated. Their "do what we like and to hell with the consequences" attitude is, of course, incredibly smug, disrespectful and annoying for the fans, and these changes hit the hardest when they're first airing, but I still feel it's ridiculously melodramatic to decry the death of the Clone Wars EU because of them.

It's still terrible that what I feel is Star Wars greatest strength, a true shared and cohesive continuity, is being so casually disregarded, but I've still yet to see anything that I feel tears a hole in it. That, I feel, is yet to come with the sequel trilogy. On that front, I'll echo Ulicus in saying you ain't seen nothin' yet.

14. Zeta1127

Sep 2, 2012
    So many things I like are history at this point, Supply Lines made it so officially the Tantive IV was never in RotS, the portrayal of the Republic and CIS is ridiculous in comparison to everything else we have been told about the Clone Wars, and the timeline is completely different. I haven't even read at least half the things TCW has contradicted, and I am starting to wonder if I even should.

15. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    Your mileage may vary, of course, but generally I'm much more interested in the big picture when it comes to continuity. It's great to flesh out a universe with smaller details, but I find some of the smaller contradictions, such as the Tantive IV and Ryloth don't bother me very much (particularly because these smaller details are easy to ignore).

As for the rest of the CW material, you should definitely read all of the comics. The Republic series in general is fantastic, and is great proof that, though the movies aren't exactly masterpieces, the era has vast storytelling potential. The novels are hit and miss. I don't care if every single word is contradicted by TCW, Shatterpoint is a must read (I sometimes wake up screaming from nightmares of TCW adapting it). Same for Dark Rendezvous. For the most part all of the novels are standalone, though.

I love the CW multimedia project, but it isn't exactly as tight in continuity as some like to remember. When I first read the CW material, I was disappointed it all wasn't more connected. The novels have nothing to do with each other, and the comics and novels are separated, aside from one Shatterpoint reference in Republic. I suppose in light of TCW, it's a good thing the CW project wasn't so unifed. It's actually similar to TCW, in that every novel and comic arc tends to function on its own. Where I do believe it succeeded in a way that TCW hasn't, though, is that it gave a much greater depiction of the events of the war (and, of course, it always felt like a war).

16. Zeta1127

Sep 2, 2012
    How is completely changing the Clone Wars timeline not the big picture? When I envision the Clone Wars, I can't help but see the timeline from the front of the multimedia project works, like Republic Commando: Hard Contact.

17. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    Ansem obviously just made two computers, because he's Wise like that, you know.

18. CeiranHarmony

CeiranHarmony Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 10, 2004
    now that we are up to a third TRON sequel, who nows. they are working on it already. can't wait for that one.. but wonder where it will go with last one killing lots of folks off. guess.. death is no longer permanent eh?

19. GGrievous

Nov 6, 2005
    During the actual CW, thanks.

20. CeiranHarmony

May 10, 2004
    read the Essential Guide to Warfare... there is a second/third clone war after TCW and ROTS ;) all but in name, but it exists. so technically it would be during the CW

21. GGrievous

Nov 6, 2005
    [​IMG]

22. mnjedi

mnjedi JCC Arena Game Host star 5 VIP - Game Host

Nov 4, 2012
    I suppose her dying during the dark times, would be ok (though not preferable).

Provided that Vader kills her before she finds the Death Star plans, founds the rebellion, marries Starkiller, and then reappears in episode VII as the main protagonist.

23. Cronal

Cronal Jedi Master star 4

Dec 17, 2009
    I have been wondering for a while now on whether Ahsoka dies or not. Really, my top three theories are; 1) she gets killed in the Clone Wars either by Anakin which I find unlikely or by someone else which further steers him to the dark side 2) she gets lost or trapped somewhere such as Mortis where she is forced to remain behind and unable to return to the known galaxy 3) Ahsoka manages to survive everything and grows to adulthood by becoming an Order 66 survivor (and joins the club of similar such people :p ) Kind of torn on which one I would like to see.

The first two would be an emotional impact with one being separation of the character by killing her and second option being separation from her master by being torn from his side though out of the two it would be the first one that would have a more lasting impact. Might even explain another reason why Vader is so tough and dismissive to his own apprentices in the future... sure, he is Sith and would have practiced manipulation and betrayal as an art but would that mean when he had Starkiller or others that he dismissed them because they are all shadows of Ahsoka for him?

...or maybe I am reading too much into that.

24. CeiranHarmony

May 10, 2004
    actually... you forgot one option Cronal

4. She goes dark, survives TCW and Vader finds her again but instead of killing her... he takes her on as his first ever secret apprentice! moving with her against Palpatine in kinda TFU #0

I think any fight between Anakin and Ahsoka in TCW itself would be anticlimatic.. all know the outcome and if not the fight/location/soundtrack is really really special and good like ROTS duel between Obi/Ani or the awsome Palpatine/Maul/Savage scenes in TCW, then it would be a boring end.

though if she stays alive she might become a loose end instead of death in the EU which fears to touch her fate due to future series maybe contradicting it that's then not optimal either.

Guess they go for a Mace Windu here... have there be a "death" but no body.. leaving it open but halfway concluded as possibly dead.

25. TychoCorde

TychoCorde Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 3, 2012
    Maybe all of the worm from Brain Invaders didn't die, and has taken control of Barriss again, during her duel with Anakin it comes out and she is back to Pacifist Barriss again.