main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Is it terrible turning 30?

Discussion in 'Community' started by Emperor_Billy_Bob, Feb 25, 2013.

1. zigazigahh

zigazigahh Jedi Master star 1

Sep 2, 2012
    Turning 31 was harder or me, because there were a few things I wanted to do/have done by the time I was 30, and turning 31 meant I'd officially failed.

But everyone keeps telling me self-imposed deadlines like that are silly, so I guess I'm probably not a failure. (SO LONG AS THEY HAPPEN BEFORE I TURN 32!)

They waited until then?! We got married July 21 and my grandmother asked that Labor Day weekend.

Darth Guy likes this.
  2. JediYvette

JediYvette Pacific RSA emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 18, 2001
    I got married at 28 so I made them wait a while already and I live on the other side of the ocean from them so it kept their opinions at bay.... until now. :p

3. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I'm a youngling still. I'm in my early 20's. I look forward to hitting my 30's, but I don't mind waiting and enjoying my life thus far.

I would never EVER want to relive my teenage years, especially high school. Please, I'll do anything than that. I'll watch A Serbian Film and The Human Centipede at the same time while getting bowling pins thrown at me, than relive high school.

All jokes aside, high school was miserable, and I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemies.

4. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    I turned 30 last fall, and honestly, I think being 29 was worse. The whole time I was 29, I was dreading my next birthday, and when it arrived, I was like "Oh, is this all there is to turning 30? Meh."

5. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    The majority of my twenties was terrible, so I'm happy to be in my thirties.

6. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    [​IMG]

Debo and Juliet316 like this.
  7. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    I probably enjoyed my thirties more than any other decade: well-paying job, lived in Manhattan, got married, became a father twice. None of the angsty crap of the teens and twenties.

Unfortunately that **** kicks back in in the forties.

8. Zapdos

Zapdos Force Ghost star 5

Jan 7, 2013
    It will be terrible for me, since I probably haven't achieved anything by then. Then I will have lost all my 20 something perks and gained no 30 something perks. Perkless.

MrZAP likes this.
  9. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    I've enjoyed each year I've lived. I kept expecting to be freaked out by the decade markers but it just hasn't happened yet. In my mind I'm still just a kid.

10. JediYvette

JediYvette Pacific RSA emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 18, 2001
    and that is why we love you. [face_love]

Healer_Leona likes this.
  11. Emperor_Billy_Bob

Emperor_Billy_Bob Jedi Grand Master star 7

Aug 9, 2000
    How much did it cost to live in Manhattan?

12. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    You're missing the point. 69 is the new 27. Simple math, people.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  13. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    So 27 is the new non-existent person? Does this mean I'm not a being yet?

14. Darth Morella

Darth Morella Force Ghost star 6

Apr 5, 2004
    Continuing on the "well-meaning but rude relatives who harass you about having progeny":

I got married a few days after turning 30 and a couple weeks after the wedding an aunt asked me if I was gonna get pregnant right away. I took offense at how she somehow deemed I have reached my expiration date and must therefore waste no time. I mean, I had just married a few days earlier, gimme a ******* break, let me enjoy this for a while. I reminded her I was in my last year of grad school and I had other priorities at the moment.

Things like this is why I dread family reunions, now it's become an incessant "so maybe next time you visit you'll be carrying a baby in your arms" every time we take off.

I don't care if you're a beloved family member. **** off, seriously.

Ok rant over [face_blush]

anakinfansince1983 and Debo like this.
  15. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Yeah, **** off, Grandma. :p

But I agree, it is rude. People may not want kids, may not want kids yet, may be trying and not successful, etc.

Rogue1-and-a-half likes this.
  16. Lady_Sami_J_Kenobi

Lady_Sami_J_Kenobi Jedi Master star 6

Jul 31, 2002
    I cried for a month before I turned 30. My generation came up with the line, "Don't trust anyone over 30," and now I was going to be 30.

Cried for an entire year before I turned 40. Seriously, every time I thought about being 40, I cried. Never mind that I had accomplished most of my life goals.

The year I turned 50, I was so happy to still be alive, I quit crying.

So, turning 30 ain't nothin', folks!

17. Darth Morella

Darth Morella Force Ghost star 6

Apr 5, 2004
    Well, I cried on my last birthday but I was probably drunk.

18. Debo

Debo Force Ghost star 6

Sep 27, 2001
    I'm 36. Age has never bothered me one bit. Sure, you like to maintain your looks, your flexibility, but you know you can't. Fortunately it happens gradually. When I look in the mirror, I don't see that I've aged--the person that's looking back at me, is the same person I saw when I was 8, 13, 24, whenever. And when I'm 90, I'll still see that same person. It's the same guy. It's me.

They say the Sun is a young star. It's about 4.5 billion years old. We exist for roughly 80 years, an ultra-small fraction of that time. In the grand scheme of things, it's next to nothing. Surely I'm not going to spend that short time I'm here fretting over being 30 or 40 or whatever. You might as well lie down in a coffin and wait if you're going to think like that.

19. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Yeah... I really don't get crying for a year about getting older... seems like such a waste of a year.

20. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Crying on your birthday is a waste of that day.

"It's my birthday and I'll cry if I want to...". OK.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  21. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    *lies down in a coffin and waits*

Debo, Darth Guy and tom like this.
  22. MrZAP

MrZAP Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 2, 2007
    The way I see it turning 30 (or any other age) won't really matter. My birthdays usually have some sort of celebration, however small, but that's it. In the end they're really like any other day, for the rest of the world and certainly for me as well. I turned 23 last year. The day after I turned 23 felt the same as the day before I turned 23, and I have no reason to believe it will be any different for any other year.

I also reject the idea that getting older necessarily means becoming wiser/more experienced/more cynical/really anything. I think it depends on the person, and I also think aging isn't really much of a factor. I think it's got more to do with one's attitude and philosophy towards life and living. Opposing viewpoints on this are one of my major pet peeves because I consider them exceedingly short-sighted, and was the most prominent of the many reasons why I didn't get along with Wormie when she was around.

That said, you all know my viewpoints on death itself, and I am NOT happy about the aging process at all, just because I want to be in good physical health (which I need to work on somewhat now as well, but still, that's far easier now than it will be thirty years from now). On the other hand I think I also have a tendency to look to the future too much, sometimes to the detriment of the present; it's certainly made it harder for me to accomplish some things. Amusing considering history is my greatest passion, but ah well. I do believe that to be truly healthy and to live (most) intelligently one must have a balanced outlook and keep past, present, and future in mind, but I also think it's a lot harder for it to be done than said, and I fully admit I need to work on it myself.

23. imperial_dork

imperial_dork Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 11, 2003
    I had a mini-freak out when I turned 29, but couldn't care less when I actually turned 30. Being in Vegas helped. :p

Before I even turned 31, I knew my thirties were going to be much better than my twenties (everyone said that would be the case, but I didn't believe them). I looked better, felt better, could still get away with mildly jackassy behavior, but could actually afford it now.

Healer_Leona likes this.
  24. Yoda_S

Yoda_S Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jul 11, 1999
    I turn 30 in about a month and I'm a little anxious but not really to concerned about it.

25. Rogue1-and-a-half

Nov 2, 2000
    It's hard to believe we're all so old. Is there anybody here under twenty?