main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Leia's Novel

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Danz Borin, Jan 16, 2013.

1. The_Phantom_Calamari

The_Phantom_Calamari Force Ghost star 5

Nov 10, 2011
    The Threepio/Han scenes were one of the few things I unequivocally enjoyed about that novel. I mean, Han's had to hang around with the guy and go on dangerous adventures with him for years. I'm sure he feels at least some measure of camaraderie with Threepio way down deep below the surface, it just takes the love of his life spurning him and a whole lotta alcohol to get him to admit it.

2. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    What a man! Solo.

He's every Princess's dream!

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  3. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I just don't see it that way. Leia's wedded to duty. She's human, of course, and has feelings -- and I like to think that her initial coldness towards Solo was mostly her not wanting to confront her emotional turmoil.

As far as the ideals of the New Republic -- remember that just about a year or two before the events of this novel, the "New Republic" released hardened murderers onto the galactic capital in order to make their invasion easier. I don't think that they would really bat an eye at a matriarchal society.

4. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I Could. Not. Stand. COPL.

The matriarchal society didn't bother me at all, but the whole concept of Mon Mothma trying to arrange a marriage between Leia and Fabio Isolder, and Leia playing along even for .2 nanoseconds after she had already established a relationship with Han in ROTJ, was absurd.

The "courtship of Princess Leia" took place in Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi. Period, end of sentence.

I really liked Tatooine Ghost. I wouldn't call it a commercial for TPM but it does bridge the two trilogies pretty well, with Leia meeting Kitster and finding an entire videolog of Shmi as well as sensing the Tusken slaughter through the Force--there was great dialogue between Leia and Han on that subject. And that book had good romance.

I'd love to see a well-written Leia novel, with "well-written" being the operative word. If it focuses on Hoth and the surrounding time frame, that sounds like a good set-up. I want to see the feisty smart-ass Princess we met in ANH, the one who was not afraid to tell her rescuers in a diplomatic way to go **** themselves if they were acting like idiots, even if they were rescuing her at the time. I'd like to see her dealing with Alderaan in her own way, and when we're talking about Leia, that probably won't involve a lot of emoting, more introspection that would translate much better to the page than the screen. I'd like to see her as a strategist as far as protecting the Rebel fleet on Hoth and making their next move.

And for ****'s sake, nothing about her trying to choose between her brother and Han.

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  5. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I know everyone likes to see Leia as an individualist who isn't afraid to stand up for herself and make her own decisions. Those attributes are a big part of what makes her such a strong character, and what made her refreshing in the era when the movies came out. But we also can't forget how committed she was to the cause. I have no doubt in my mind that she'd suck it up for the sake of her movement. I mean, she already gave up her entire life for the Rebellion and already risked everything else. Do you think after giving up all that, she'd be unwilling to give up another aspect of her personal happiness?

As for what you'd like to see in the Leia novel, I largely agree with everything you've just said, a_g -- with the caveat that I find Luke/Leia stuff pre:ROTJ to be intrinsically hilarious. I'm sorry! I just do. :p

6. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    She was a career politician and they all suck up, it goes with the territory. Didn't make COPL any more palatable though.

On the career politician aspect--she went into politics, as I understand it, because it was tradition on Alderaan for the heir to the throne to serve at least one term in the Senate. That's another angle that could be addressed in the novel. Did she really enjoy politics, or did she enter into it for Bail and Breha and then come to accept it as her duty?

GrandAdmiralJello likes this.
  7. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Good point -- Children of the Jedi has her remembering a bunch of aunts fussing over her and trying to teach her how to behave properly for the Imperial Court, and she seemed have not been very cooperative. There's also all that stuff about people often mistaking the more graceful Winter for the princess. Of course, that doesn't necessarily mean she didn't enjoy the politics, just that she was a little too rough and tumble for the more ceremonial stuff. She ends up getting used to it, but does that mean she came to terms with it or came to like it? Hard to say.

8. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    The best thing about COPL is the Wraith trilogy ;)

The conversation between Han and Leia regarding the Tusken slaughter is the absolute highlight of the book for me. TG is the only Denning work I've read, and I enjoyed it overall. I know many hate Han and Leia in later books, but judging from TG alone, it seems like Denning has a good grasp on both their characters. Maybe that changes.

9. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Does it ever.

RC-1991 and Zorrixor like this.
  10. krtmd

krtmd Jedi Master star 4

Sep 5, 2012
    Hey, we're all entitled to our opinions, right? If they had just sold the marriage to Isolder in COPL as one that was purely political, and showed Leia as being prepared to sacrifice her own happiness with Han as a price for peace in the GFFA, I might have been able to see it. But that's not exactly what Wolverton does. By chapter 7, she's considering telling Isolder she loves him. o_O And giving Han the extreme brush-off. "Look, Han, I'll always be fond of you..."

I, too, have high hopes for the new Leia book, and would love to see the things anakinfan mentioned. Particularly, her grief about Alderaan, her feelings about Breha and Bail, and the push/pull of her relationship with Han.

GrandAdmiralJello likes this.
  11. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Fair enough. I suppose I hadn't read the book recently enough to recall that: I just saw it as purely political. I'll agree that it's extremely out of character for her to fall for some "dashing prince," esp. given what we know about her personality growing up.

12. krtmd

krtmd Jedi Master star 4

Sep 5, 2012
    From SWBooks on Facebook

13. Manisphere

Manisphere Jedi Master star 5

Aug 25, 2007
    So it looks like we finally have a title for Leia's entry in the Rebels series. It's simple. It's clean. It's Rebels.
    Imaginative.o_O

14. krtmd

krtmd Jedi Master star 4

Sep 5, 2012
    Well, that's anticlimactic, to say the least. o_O

15. Lugija

Lugija Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2009
    It could still be a placeholder title. The series has been called Rebels in interviews.

16. JediMara77

JediMara77 Force Ghost star 4

Mar 5, 2004
    Rebels is the name of the series. The Leia novel itself is currently untitled. See above Facebook page quote.

17. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Hoping it is a more than one word title.

18. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Should've been Dark Rebels.

No wait.

DARK REBELLION.

Zorrixor likes this.
  19. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    Star Wars: Dark Rebellion of Darkness.

20. Manisphere

Manisphere Jedi Master star 5

Aug 25, 2007
    It's possible. It was listed as, Untitled Leia Novel before yesterday.
    Star Wars: Leia's Dark Rebel Bloodlines.

21. Allana_Rey

Allana_Rey Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    Stoked. I can't wait for this Leia novel!

22. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    THE NEW DARK REBELLION: A NOVEL OF THE OLD DARK REBELLION II: REBEL HARDER AND DARKER.

23. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    LEIA CAKE.

Havac , Zorrixor and krtmd like this.