main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series The Clone Wars - 5.19 - To Catch a Jedi - discussion thread

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Seerow, Feb 21, 2013.

1. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011
    It is pretty sad to see how far lil' Soka has fallen from grace. From getting praised by Barriss for how in control she is to losing control of her emotions and going on the run. She is exhausted both mentally and physically. Lost in the ghetto. She is teaming up with an outlaw who tried to kill her before. For all that Ahsoka is still calling herself a Jedi and believes she has enough pull to get someone pardoned. Perhaps Anakin does since he was going to pardon Lux. However even Anakin has had a moment of doubt. Plo is the only other person who arguably may believe Ahsoka is innocent. Ahsoka is then beat up pretty bad and now she is in the clutches of two clone officers. One used to be like a brother and the other one is the one I think is destined to shoot Ahsoka down like a dog or atleast try to. Once again, was that a sunrise or a sunset at the end. I think its a symbolic sunset, the sun setting on an era and the sun on Coruscant will rise with things forever changed for Anakin's Padawan.

Knight3440 and rumblewagon like this.
  2. Billy_Dee_Binks

Billy_Dee_Binks Force Ghost star 4

Mar 29, 2002
    Oh wow, I just realised Barriss wasn't seen on-screen in ROTS. For some reason I kind of automatically assumed she was in it because of Luminara's blink-and-you-miss-it appearance on Kashyyyk. Now I'm worried.

(can you tell I haven't been keeping up with this thread?) o_O

3. pronker

pronker Force Ghost star 4

Jan 28, 2007
    She's bearing up pretty well, as runaways are classically vulnerable to any bad influence that sees them as prey. Ventress' uneasy alliance was sort of like that, but not the awfully dishonest usage of exploiters in RL. Ventress is raw, but honest.

TCW hasn't explored much of Ahsoka's 'otherness', except for her looks. For instance, she hasn't used her montrals to echolocate, at least that viewers can perceive. Especially in this ep, it's kinda funny that Wookiepedia says 'In order to protect themselves from dangerous predators, and to hunt their own prey, Togruta banded together in tribes and relied on their natural pigmentation to disrupt and confuse slow-witted beasts.

4. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    The horn things are used for echolocation? Hah, the pattern stuff makes me think of a Zebra's stripes actually with the way the Wook described their purpose. Most predators like the lion don't see in color (cats are actually believed to see in blues and greens). When the herd panics and runs their stripes cause the zebras to seem to run together making it hard for a predator to pick out an individual animal. Its to bad Ahsoka doesn't have a her of togruta's to run with. xD

More seriously, Ahsoka seems sad to admit she has anything in common with Ventress when they meet. Ventress is easily persuaded though because at this point I think she more than anything seeks freedom to make her own way in the galaxy and go wherever she wants. That's harder when your a wanted criminal.

Ahsoka is probably vulnerable to bad influences at the moment but none of Ventress's traits seemed to rub off. It seems more like Ahsoka rubbed off on Ventress with her not cutting down the clone troopers whens cornered and later thinking about going back to help Ahsoka after leaving her. Ventress is becoming more and more 'good' but Ahsoka helped move her along on that path a little in this episode.

pronker likes this.
  5. PrincessKenobi

PrincessKenobi Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 12, 2000
    Alright I am finally caught up. And all I keep coming back to is why would someone frame Ashoka, what does it gain them? How does it help them?

And enjoying this story arc better then most of them this year so far.

6. Master_Gallia

Master_Gallia Jedi Padawan star 2

Mar 29, 2004
    If the attacker is Barriss, then IMHO absolutely nothing. However, if the attacker is not Barriss (nor a Jedi for that matter) then there's room for a non Jedi setting up the Jedi Order for internal confusion and mistrust, especially if there really are Jedi who don't like their involvement in the Clone War. As contrived as Letta's involvement (as a force user) may sound, its a lot more plausible than Barriss being a traitor. In Letta's case, we've seen both deception and hints of aggression.

7. rumblewagon

rumblewagon Force Ghost star 4

Sep 24, 2004
    Those questions may be left as a type of "cliffhanger" for Season 6. The voice actor for Tarkin recently said on a Rebel Force Radio podcast that his character gets a lot nastier (pure speculation on my part).

8. MistrX

MistrX Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2006
    I don't think it needs to be that complicated. Framing Ahsoka followed from needing to silence Letta. As soon as the assailant killed Letta, they had to make it look like Ahsoka was the one doing it, that way everyone would be looking at Ahsoka and not looking for whoever really killed Letta and therefore whoever Letta's accomplice was. If it is Barriss, why wouldn't she frame Ahsoka if she can get away with it?

Seerow and Dark Lord Tarkas like this.
  9. Nubbs

Nubbs Jedi Youngling

Feb 16, 2013
    Of course, if the assailant(s) had "silenced" Letta from the beginning instead of stupidly Letta-ing her live and protest outside the Jedi temple, none of this would have happened. Anakin and Ahsoka barged right into her apartment, so it's not like she was hard to get to. And if the assailant is against the war, they should have framed a Council member instead of a Padawan who has no responsibility for the direction of the Clone Wars or the Jedi Order. I can't wait to see how this is explained next week. And (IMO) the bombing better be explained instead of having some cliffhanger cop-out to draw viewers to whatever Disney channel this show will be shown on next season. We'll probably get the cliff-hanger, though.

Valairy Scot likes this.
  10. Master_Gallia

Master_Gallia Jedi Padawan star 2

Mar 29, 2004
    I don't see any full explanation in the upcoming episode. Personally all I care about knowing is whether or not the attacker is Barriss. IF it is her, there's no chance an explanation is coming in the same episode. If it isn't, then we have a new character to look forward to in season 6.

FWIW I think Ahsoka is going to be expelled from the Jedi Order either way.

V-2 and SithStarSlayer like this.
  11. Saga_Symphony

Saga_Symphony Force Ghost star 4

Oct 30, 2010
    I wonder if that was also Barriss who strangled Letta. In disguise as a clone maybe?

12. Darth_Zandalor

Darth_Zandalor Jedi Master star 4

Aug 2, 2009
    Because screw canon. Who needs a pacifist Barriss when we can have a bizarre contrived villain?

ERMAGHERD TALKIN ABURT CANON GET URT ERF DER THRED. Nah, see, if we're talking Star Wars, canon is pretty much always a point of discussion. And this just pisses me off too much for me to omit anything. Barriss turning evil makes no sense in any way I can see.

07jonesj likes this.
  13. 07jonesj

07jonesj Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2010
    Just give me great Ahsoka development, season finale. This seems like the biggest step in her development since the Season 3 finale, her being on the run there too and losing Kalifa (that image of Ahsoka looking defeated and just walking away as she is being shot at is still one of this series most powerful IMO).

rumblewagon likes this.
  14. Quirkiness101

Quirkiness101 Jedi Padawan star 1

Jan 9, 2013
    I honestly don't think anyone had brought up that theory yet. The guy watching the prison monitors perhaps? They would have access to the camera and sound systems, and we've seen people force choke via holograms/video screens before (ESB).

Nah, too difficult. The chance would be too great that they would think rationally, dodge the traps, and hunt down the source. Asohka is young, frightened, and not thinking totally soundly. Besides, they are trying to show the jedi council that the war is distorting the jedi order. What better way to do that than through the murderous actions of a padawan who has long been participating in the war effort?

Gain? Nothing. My theory on a motive for using Asohka if it's Barriss still stands though:
    "By framing a jedi for a terrorist attack that kills clones, the Senate will force the Jedi out of the war. That framed jedi will be an unsung hero who saved the order by their sacrifice. I will frame my best friend, and by this make her the hero who saves the order, even if I'm the only one who ever recognizes it."

QuangoFett likes this.
  15. V-2

V-2 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 10, 2012
    Sid gains from the Jedi losing face, and from the Jedi's growing paranoia regarding each other, but perhaps Dooku gains by turning Anakin against Palpatine..?

16. 07jonesj

Aug 16, 2010
    How aware is Dooku of Palpatine's plans to turn Anakin at this point? I know the ROTS novel states this: "The survivors of the Jedi Order would become the Sith Army." which is part of Dooku's inner monologue on the future plans of Sidious, but of course he doesn't know the full picture.

17. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    The more I read through this thread the more I want the next episode to just totally surprise me with how they handle the attacker's identity and the why. Its a pitty my predictions rarely come true because I would laugh so hard if after all this happened my theory that Barriss is actually trying to help Ahsoka and not evil at all came true.

18. The Shadow Emperor

The Shadow Emperor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 29, 2012
    So why would she attack Ahsoka and leave her next to the incriminating nanodroid depot to be recaptured?

Never mind the fact that she wouldn't have known where the factory was in the first place if she hadn't already been there. [face_thinking]

V-2 likes this.
  19. Darth_Zandalor

Aug 2, 2009
  20. Coric

Coric Jedi Knight star 4

Jan 19, 2011
    [face_laugh]

Yeah, it's hard not to talk about canon with this arc, mods.

Isn't this thread where discussion is to take place? Canon being severed is a discussion is it not? Why are people being banned from discussing what is being effected by this episode? Ok, you're trying to direct a discussion to another thread.. why? Spoilers from the episode are allowed to be discussed and picked apart here.

Also
    if you can't tell who the bomber is by now you probably haven't been around in the forums a lot anyhow since it's everywhere in thread titles and ect

Main point is, why is discussing canon this episode deals with a bad thing?

21. K'Kruhk

K'Kruhk Jedi Master star 4

Dec 11, 2011
    Actually I did, back in the TJWKTM discussion thread ;)

Dark Lord Tarkas likes this.
  22. 07jonesj

Aug 16, 2010
    Coric If you can't tell who the bomber is, you're too young to watch this show. :p

Coric likes this.
  23. Darth_Zandalor

Aug 2, 2009
    But kids are stupid right?

07jonesj and Coric like this.
  24. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    If they throw out Barriss' fate as depicted in the graphic novel of ROTS, then I would think that Dooku's view as explained at the beginning of the novelization is equally on the chopping block and it's unknown whether the goals of Dooku in TCW are consistent or completely different. It would help if he actually got some character development.

It's my suspicion that maybe Lucas regrets making Dooku. He's a visually unexciting character, they killed him off ASAP in ROTS and replaced him with the four armed, lightsaber wielding cyborg. And in TCW where most, if not all, of the stories originate from Lucas in some capacity, Lucas hasn't really dedicated any effort to developing Dooku and the most we really got to see from him was in Dooku Captured. Since then he's pretty much just Sidious 2.0 with the occasional Anakin fight. And then they subsequently brought Savage and Maul into the picture to be poster boys for the show. That's just my speculation though.

It's difficult to say how far the Jedi will be removed from power. In ROTS they are still generals, so it's not like they get removed from the war entirely nor are they made subordinates to people like Tarkin AFAIK. There is the cutscene in ROTS where it is mentioned about the establishment of moffs as military governors and Padme is concerned about that. It's unclear in the scene itself if maybe the Jedi had to answer to the Moffs?

If the goal was for the Jedi to lose face though, I would think that any political building would be better to attack than the Jedi Temple. I mean if you want to make the Jedi look bad, why frame the Jedi for attacking themselves? Attack the senate building and blame it on the Jedi, etc. I don't know what throwing Ahsoka under the bus accomplishes. She gets killed or arrested. If Barriss was having misgivings about the Jedi Order and Ahsoka was her very close friend, wouldn't it be expected that Barriss would have maybe mentioned such misgivings rather than falling to the Dark Side over night and wanting to frame her best friend and killing her training partner?

If she were a prospective new apprentice to Dooku or something like that, then betraying Ahsoka could fill the same role as Dooku killing Sifo-Dyas and Anakin betraying Mace - sort of a blood pact to prove one's commitment to the Sith and sever ties with the Jedi by committing an unforgivable offense.

The Shadow Emperor likes this.
  25. Coric

Coric Jedi Knight star 4

Jan 19, 2011
    ...and the masked person is...

AURRA SING!

There to conduct her revenge against Ahsoka for crashing Slave I..
    No one would see that coming.