main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT What was Order 66(Great Jedi Purge,etc) about to you?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Megatronus Prime, Feb 26, 2013.

?

It was about...

Poll closed Mar 5, 2013.
  1. The killing of all the Jedi

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Destruction of the Jedi Order

70.8%
  3. Both were just as good motivations

25.0%
  4. Neither

4.2%
  1. Megatronus Prime

Megatronus Prime Jedi Youngling

Feb 23, 2013
    Hello all. As you could probably tell I'm quite new here and haven't posted that much. Like I said in my introductory topic I've been lurking the forums for quite a bit and have liked this place so yeah I hope I stay. :)

Anyway as I was lurking the TCW forum I saw that a lot of people quite a few people disliked the fact that more and more Jedi have been surviving O66. I actually disagreed as I thought it was more about the extermination of the Jedi order itself rather than the Jedi themselves. But what do you guys think about the subject?

2. Reveen

Reveen Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 4, 2012
    Alot of Jedi got shot.

3. themetresgained

themetresgained Jedi Master star 4

Feb 23, 2013
    I think it's about both. Palpatine knew that if the Jedi were to find out who and what he was, that they would stand the only chance of taking him out. After he'd converted the most powerful Jedi (Anakin) to the Dark side, the rest would be a threat to him. Hence in the OT, "the Emperor knew as I did, if Skywalker were to have any children they would be a threat to him." He couldn't allow any of the Jedi to survive and possibly regroup and train new Force-sensitives to take him down. His destruction of the Jedi Order was less about killing the Jedi and more about what he presumably did as Emperor, which is to destroy most of the records of the Order, how it worked, its philosophy, training etc.

4. Darkskar95

Darkskar95 Jedi Master star 1

Feb 25, 2013
    Tbh, I cried when I saw the jedi get killed. xD

5. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    The top two options are pretty much the same thing.

6. janstett

janstett Jedi Master star 3

May 29, 2004
    If you look at history, most revolutions involve a purge of the loser's army because leaving them around means they may become a resistance group (as we saw both the Separatist leaders were taken out and the Jedi as well) and further an extermination of the educated and the skilled who could pose a threat of counter-revolution (for example Pohl Pot killed all the educated and skilled people, doctors, etc.)

themetresgained likes this.
  7. themetresgained

Feb 23, 2013
    Exactly my point - he got rid of the Jedi and the means to 'make' more Jedi (the history of the Order etc) in order to ensure that there were no threats. Plus, in an alternate universe where the Jedi order survived in some small way beyond just Yoda, Obi-Wan and Luke, you could totally see them joining up with the Rebellion and kicking arse in all sorts of ways.

8. Zane the Reaper

Zane the Reaper Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 5, 2012
    One is about killing them, one is about making them dead ;)

rumsmuggler likes this.
  9. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    It was about the rise of a tyrant and the end of Freedom.

10. TheDarkSyde

TheDarkSyde Jedi Padawan

Feb 27, 2013
    One of the best scenes ever.

11. Darth kRud

Darth kRud Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 1, 2012
    I'm going to be mean and say this poll is silly.

Darth Ibonek and Joe Antonetti like this.
  12. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    The destruction of the order? I don't exactly know.

13. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Definitely the destruction of the Order, and there is a difference- I like the discussion. Re-reading the Plagueis novel now, and the deep level of hatred for what is portrayed as a "corrupt system" (a corruption that Damask, and later Palpatine certainly perpetrate themselves) is evident in the scheming that takes place many years in advance. It is reminiscent of the mindset Malgus has towards the Order during his own sacking of Coruscant mission- it is necessary to take out the vessels, but eliminating the ideals is the true intent.

Megatronus Prime likes this.
  14. Joe

Joe Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 25, 2012
    I think the OP is asking whether the relatively large amount of Jedi left after Order 66 marks it as a failure, or if the destruction of the order itself makes it a success..

15. sg1A

sg1A Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 20, 2013
    It should be a sad moment of tears to the eyes to all. I was thinking how sucky it is to be shot down by your own army , After you have been leading them into battle for three years. And to know that the clones lives your were protecting and the republic you were fighting for betrayed you. The best example that comes to mind would be Cody and Kenobi they went through alot as far as i know , then when the chancellors or Emperors order is given....Like that they change.

They had a fanfiction i liked alot called "Chronicles of a confederate" it is a pov of CIS soldier and you read from the time the droids shut down to the time that the CIS is fighting the Empire in small CIS holdouts.

16. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Destroying the Jedi Order

17. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    If that is the question, then I guess it would have to be considered a failure, or at least a temporary means to an end. The goal was to wipe the ideals out of the galaxy, and as much success as Sidious had, he was unable to do so.

18. bibfortuitous

bibfortuitous Jedi Grand Master star 3

Oct 7, 2000
    Where have they been "surviving" Order 66? Certainly not in TCW which is set before ROTS.

19. PMT99

PMT99 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 23, 2000
    Maybe, it's because the idea that there were other Jedi survivors post-ROTS contradicts with Yoda saying that Luke is the "last of the Jedi".

20. themetresgained

Feb 23, 2013
    Not necessarily, it's only a contradiction if they were alive past, say, the ten-year mark of the Empire. I think it's realistic that a handful of Jedi other than Obi-Wan and Yoda surviving through the end of ROTS into the intertrilogy era, but it's pretty clear that by the time the Death Star is built, the grip on the galaxy is solidified - no more Jedi.

21. darth_mccartney

darth_mccartney Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 3, 2008
    I think that as well as getting rid of as many Jedi as possible, he wanted to make a MASSIVE statement to the Jedi that survived (or indeed anyone that thought they could do something about him). It's pretty much the Emperor saying "DO NOT ***K WITH ME!"

22. Cryogenic

Cryogenic Force Ghost star 5

Jul 20, 2005
    It was -- or *is* -- about the systemic and metaphysical killing of all the Jedi.
    It is about the decimation and destruction of the Jedi Order.
    It is about political oppression, coercion, control, and scapegoating.
    It is about drawing links as far and wide as Spielberg, Coppola, Eisenstein, and Salvador Dali.
    It is about the constellated vision of George Lucas: techne and poiesis combined.
    It is about the Emperor's dizzying reach and power to blind and confuse.
    It is about local and global tragedy.
    It is about Anakin's betrayal and the inevitable domino effect.
    It is about ugliness in beautiful places; and beauty in ugliness.
    It is about sight, sound, music, and montage.
    It is about all the things that fire Lucas up as an artist and ethical human being.
    It is about loss, triumph, isolation, and interconnection.
    It is about logistics, timing, sequencing, and numbers.
    It is about neatness, symmetry, correlation, and order.
    It is about the flow of objects over a wide canvas.
    It is about digression, discursion, incursion, recursion, and transitioning into a higher tier, and using that to transform the remainder of the kinesthetic transcription.
    It is about putting the "opera" in "space opera".
    It's about the needlessness of words and how the ability to speak does not make you intelligent.
    It's about how Jar Jar could have saved the Jedi and the entire galaxy from wrongs darker than death or night.
    It's about sneaking another montage in to remind us all and justify the inclusion of the "victory celebration" addition to ROTJ.
    It is about sedimentary movie-making and tipping one's hat in multiple directions.
    It is about violence and cinema in general.
    It's about that time that Yoda survived because some Wookiees showed him a moment of tenderness; it is about watching closely.
    It's about the quiet persistence and indifference of nature.
    It's about lakes, forests, rivers, trees, etc.
    It's about the past bursting into the present; and the present being effaced by the future.
    It's about men, women, and machines.
    It's about the look and sound of inevitability.
    It's about being a paean for doomed souls and the squalor of war.
    It's about that time you closed the fridge door and the clock fell off the wall.
    It's about the dangers of improperly tarmacked roads.
    It's about Bert and Ernie's ambiguous living arrangement.
    It is about time I stopped listing things it's about.

StarWarsVerses likes this.
  23. StarWarsVerses

StarWarsVerses Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 14, 2013
    33 itisms. Subtle, Cryo, nice.

Cryogenic likes this.
  24. Cryogenic

Jul 20, 2005
    Your insight serves you well.

The Matrix has me. Or GL's honeycombed abstractions -- and homages to Kubrickian hexagons -- have me.

http://www.wisdomportal.com/Haikus/Number6inNature.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hexagon

25. Cryogenic

Jul 20, 2005