main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Darth Maul is underrated!

Discussion in 'Star Wars Community' started by wookiedookie, Feb 26, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wookiedookie

wookiedookie Jedi Knight

Feb 24, 2013
    Got bored earlier and was watching the battle at the end of Phantom Menace and realized how under rated AND under used the character of Darth Maul really was. Would have liked to have seen him continue onto another episode or at least be shown more in the one he was in!

Sitara likes this.
  2. benknobi1

benknobi1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2002
    There is definitely a back story to Maul, one that Lucas chose not to tell, but it could surface as part of a spin-off movie, or in a prequel prequel trilogy.

wookiedookie likes this.
  3. wookiedookie

wookiedookie Jedi Knight

Feb 24, 2013
    A Movie of his own would just be amazing!

4. benknobi1

Jun 12, 2002
    That it would. Personally, I would love to see the Zabrak homeworld and culture explored.

SithStarSlayer likes this.
  5. wookiedookie

wookiedookie Jedi Knight

Feb 24, 2013
    Yeah, I'm sure I came across a picture years ago of a female Zabrak..

6. Crystalia

Crystalia Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 24, 2013
    I say Dooku is more underrated

TX-20 and Pearlsaber like this.
  7. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Well, Dathomir was explored in TCW, which has a Zabrak colony, if that counts

8. Axle-Starweilder

Axle-Starweilder Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jan 6, 2005
    in some ways Darth Maul was a bigger disappointment than Jar Jar Binks. mostly because we got to hear from Maul two or three times and we had to hear Jar Jar for half of the movie. that and, if you remember the television commercials, we were made to think Maul would have an almost equivalent role to Vader in TPM and was basically the Boba Fett of that movie. sooooooo glad that Disney is taking over to make the movies less-disney than the prequels

SithStarSlayer and benknobi1 like this.
  9. Roberto Calrissian

Roberto Calrissian Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 26, 2012
    Darth Maul is the Boba Fett of the prequels he was killed of to soon before Lucas realized the popularity the character had gained.

TX-20 likes this.
  10. Axys

Axys Jedi Padawan star 1

Feb 27, 2013
    He actually gets resurrected in the Clone Wars animated series mid last year... You do learn a bit more about him, though I won't mention much due to spoilers... Here is a link you might find interesting.

wookiedookie likes this.
  11. Placeholder

Placeholder Jedi Master star 4

Jan 30, 2013
    I think that the Maul lightsaber battle in The Phantom Menace was probably the best of the prequels

12. benknobi1

Jun 12, 2002
    I did not like TCW adaptation of Maul.

Sitara likes this.
  13. Axys

Axys Jedi Padawan star 1

Feb 27, 2013
    He does seem very... Girly in it lol

14. Placeholder

Placeholder Jedi Master star 4

Jan 30, 2013
    I did not like when they brought him back to life in TCW, but I did really enjoy his story arc once he started consolidating his power. That was fun. I still think of him as having died on Naboo as for me TCW exists on it's own, but I do really enjoy it.

15. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    The Wrath of Darth Maul by Ryder Windham, is a good place for Maul backstory- what happened during Maul's early life, up to TPM and just after.

16. Julius Vernon

Julius Vernon Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 7, 2012
    I've thought about it a lot and couldn't Maul have fulfilled the role of Dooku in the war? Yes, he wasn't one of the lost 20, but he would have become more and more impressive as time went on. Imagine Anakin slaying Maul at Sidious' command, the scene could have been more amazing (imo) because of the lengthy relationship of the pair.

17. Axys

Axys Jedi Padawan star 1

Feb 27, 2013
    Not to mention the fact that the light saber battle would be [Removed.] EPIC!

Please do not attempt to circumvent the language rules. ~Sx3

Julius Vernon likes this.
  18. Lord Optimus

Lord Optimus Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 30, 2011
    I wish they would have not killed him off and used him in AOTC and ROTS, there's still a possibility of a spin-off though.

19. Stormtrooper Dave

Stormtrooper Dave Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 23, 2013
    I actually disagree with this. It's my belief that Lucas did not want a character that would rival the popularity of Vader.

The Maul character is the only interesting aspect of The Phantom Menace, and probably the most intriguing character in the entire prequel trilogy, and he's in the film for only 4 1/2 minutes. Had the character been given more screen time, or appeared in another film, there would be fans saying that Maul made for a much cooler Sith Lord than Vader. The geek in me says that Maul would destroy Vader in lightsaber combat.

20. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012

NO, going to far :p

Vader would rip Maul to shreds [face_phbbbbt]:cool:

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  21. TX-20

TX-20 Force Ghost star 4

Jun 21, 2013
    And like Fett, he died in a really idiotic way.

Sarge likes this.
  22. Sandtrooper92

Sandtrooper92 Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 31, 2013
    I imagine most people would agree with the OP.

23. QsAssistant

QsAssistant Jedi Master star 3

Apr 13, 2011
    I would've preferred him to be the main villain over the entire PT rather than Dooku. But then he was brought back in TCW, which at first I didn't like how he was presented but over time I ended up liking it. With the character's popularity I highly doubt we've seen the last of him on the big screen. I hear the book Shadow Hunter is great, I own it but haven't gotten around to reading it yet, but they could do a movie about that.
    Here's a good question, if, or should it be a matter of when, they make a Darth Maul movie will it be Ray Park in the role and who should be the voice? Peter Serafinowicz who voiced Maul in TPM, or Sam Witwer who voiced Maul in TCW, or someone else entirely?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.