main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC On Gender, Catfishing and the Internet

Discussion in 'Community' started by jp-30, Feb 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AaylaSecurOWNED

AaylaSecurOWNED Jedi Master star 6

May 19, 2005
    Just for the record, Frieda (and others who opened up to ASG) knew about the suspicions and rumors for about as long as everyone else and chose not to give them any heed. I don't think there's anything wrong with that, the prevailing attitude among people who felt that way when I talked to them was "Well even if she's lied about some things, there's still a person there that I've been talking to for years." which is a sympathetic view and makes sense if you're intimately acquainted (or think you are) with someone. It wasn't until everyone figured out the extent of the fraud that that point of view became moot for most everyone. I don't think there's anyone who shared intimate details with ASG who "had no idea" there might be something off.

As for sexual harassment, it was against the rules and people other than Sapient had been punished for it before that whole issue came to light. The specific problem in that situation was: who do you complain to when it's the Head Admin perpetrating it?, and that's what resulted in an overhaul of the existing sexual harassment policy to provide other avenues for complaints and give admins more power to investigate sexual harassment claims.

2. Blue_Jedi33

Blue_Jedi33 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 12, 2003
    Well if it was at AIM that most of these things were perpetrated, and then by extension just accepted here, by those that knew, how can TFN be faulted ?

I wonder if Sapient getting a new IP address and sock visits TFN, and posts?
    And I wonder the same about ASG/Juli/mike/Gina...?

3. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    I'm sure they lurk.

4. Debo

Debo Force Ghost star 6

Sep 27, 2001

5. Blue_Jedi33

Aug 12, 2003
    Even though Sapient, turned out to be deviant, he was still a SW fan and posted in many of the threads I posted in when he was a MOD. I remember him being a decent MOD.
    If anything would bring him back, it would be episode VII. Too bad he harassed the ladies, very immature and evil for any age. People who do this have issues.
    All he could really say on re-registry is he used to post here and lost his info in the change over.

6. Blue_Jedi33

Aug 12, 2003
    double post quote edit

7. The Great No One

The Great No One Jedi Grand Master star 8

Jun 4, 2005
    i still find it hilarious that it was ASG that was the first person to actually post sapients name in that thread.

not because of what sapes was doing to other people, but just that it was someone else under very false pretenses. and that sapes was harassing a guy.

8. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    I think that the thing to do if a mod actually knew (or even had a strong suspicion) about a user perpetrating such a fraud over a long period of time that the thing to do would be to keep an eye on the person for while and watch whether their behavior really verges into the creepy once you know it's some of the other gender. Mike would obviously have fallen into this category, it seems. Then, this is what I'd do at least, the time has come for a PM to the user to let that person know that someone is on to their little game and that they need to either give said mod a compelling reason for their subterfuge or else come clean or the mod will take the issue to the Mod Squad as a whole to decide if the situation warrants outing the person to the community at large.

The beauty of this is that really any user could do follow this procedure, though it would probably have more weight coming from a mod. And the purpose of a rule like "knowingly posting false information" isn't so you can be a dictator with it; it's so you can use it when the situation merits.

Trimaj likes this.
  9. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    Who says Sape didn't harass guys knowingly?

10. Eeth-my-Koth

Eeth-my-Koth Jedi Grand Master star 9

May 25, 2001
    Can't this damn thread just sink already. I blame blue_tard69.

11. The Great No One

The Great No One Jedi Grand Master star 8

Jun 4, 2005
    if he harassed guys it's equally despicable, but there seemed to be a pretty consistent modus operandi there. which would heavily suggest he didn't know.

12. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Sapient wasn't as smart as Juli... he did all his creeping here via PM. All it took was some people speaking up and an admin to go in and read the PMs.

Anyway... I agree with Vin. Let this thread die, already. Dude just upped it for the dramz.

DarthTunick likes this.
  13. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    Sorry to have posted and run before, had to catch my train.

I don't mean to argue that there should be major rule changes. I'm not really convinced anything should be done. Mainly I just wanted to use the opportunity to make sure that MS is discussing it. 1.5 makes a pretty good suggestion.

The weird thing in all of this is that for all this deceit, the damage is relatively minor compared to what kind of things internet monsters (to use @harpuah's term) are capable of.

14. Blue_Jedi33

Aug 12, 2003
    How funny is it, if a guy who he thinks he is harassing is female, but it is really a guy, then for the guy pretending to be female goes along, playing it up and along for all it's worth.
    I guess it's funny and sad.
    I think there was a movie scene something like this, from some type of futurist movie where you could become your avatar, and play it out from home.
    Anyway they show this old fat ugly brute playing a hot female, and regular guy is interacting with her/him not knowing. I found it to be a disturbing scene the way they did it.

15. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
  16. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    ))<>((

17. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002
    juli is the little kid and y'all are the middle-aged lady

kiss her one last time (for the very first time) and move on (quickly before anyone catches you)

18. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    Why are you so obsessed with this?

RC-1991, Darth Guy and harpuah like this.
  19. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002
    gotta get ur jollies somehow

20. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    Maybe it's an old sock of Mike's.

21. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    My grandfather once caught a catfish that was 22 inches long.

22. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002
    "the 22-inch catfish" is my nickname for my dilz

23. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Don't catfish me on the internet, Johnny... my great uncle catfished me on the internet once. ONCE.

Darth_Invidious and Master_Jacen like this.
  24. Blue_Jedi33

Aug 12, 2003
    Not sure why, it has elements of these variables that make it a story of interest to me:

-Creepy
    -Strange
    -Fascinating
    -The Unknown
    -Betrayal
    -Deceit
    -Tragedy
    -Sadness
    -Funny
    -Insanity

I guess if we knew for 100% sure about Gina it would have no more interest to me, that is the part that is left open and unknown, and a previous poster did research and still it was literally a dead end.
    Everybody is like, let it go, but who decides when a thread on any topic has enough posts, mods I guess. And I guess it seems to be the consensus that we have reached that point, from the comments coming in now.

The question I would ask those that don't want to discuss this anymore in the JCC is, What makes all the threads below this one, so much more interesting, and so much more worthy of continued posting ?

Plus on the first page new people get to post like when I upped this :)

25. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    You know, that thing where Mike/Juli would say "everyone either masturbates or lies" just got a little creepier.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.