main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit A/V Clone Wars Continuity Discussion (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by sabarte, May 12, 2008.

1. The_Phantom_Calamari

The_Phantom_Calamari Force Ghost star 5

Nov 10, 2011
    You heard it here first, folks: Doctors can't be murderers.

"Your honor, how could I possibly have killed her? I know I was found standing over her mutilated body with a bloody kitchen knife and a deranged smile on my blood-flecked face....but I've taken the Hippocratic Oath, for cryin' out loud!"

2. Esg

Esg Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    He's saying it's OOC

Zeta1127 and Mia Mesharad like this.
  3. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    In her books, Barriss doesn't believe there's a dark side, and would rather fight with a lightsaber than negotiate...

4. Esg

Esg Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    So it suddenly equals turning people into bombs

5. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    No, but the older EU Clone Wars books do seem to offer foreshadowing, in retrospect.

Random Comments likes this.
  6. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Isn't it funny how the ones who don't believe there's a dark side usually turn out to be on it?

7. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    I imagine someone who didn't believe in lions would also likely be eaten by one.....

..............if they lived in an area around lions of course. I mean, I guess in most of the world they would be pretty safe.

8. Mange

Mange Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2003
    As I've mentioned before, I think the Tantive IV retcon is TCW's single best retcon. As for the other CW stuff, read it (at least Shatterpoint). What does it really matter if its contradicted if you like the story? The world doesn't come to an end if lower canon is changed (I mean, we have the ST coming up which will surely obliterate the post-ROTJ EU but we will have to wait and see to what degree).

9. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    John Knoll was already equivocating on the issue of the Tantive IV on the ROTS DVD commentary well before TCW even existed.

10. The_Phantom_Calamari

Nov 10, 2011
    Yes? I know. Hence....my post.

11. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    I have RotS novelization that says it was the Tantive IV, those white corridors look the same for a reason, and George Lucas never said anything to the contrary of it being the Tantive IV. Sometimes I just don't understand some people.

The reason why I have been saying I am starting to consider not even reading the multimedia project is, what is the point of even caring about the EU if they just going to ignore it? Of course, I am going to read the multimedia project, but they are making it very hard to care about the EU.

12. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Ask the Fleet Junkies sometime.

Then take a step back.

CT-867-5309 and Gorefiend like this.
  13. The_Phantom_Calamari

Nov 10, 2011
    If it really was intended to be the Tantive IV, why was it made to look like a similar yet clearly different ship? Why didn't they just make a digital version of the original model and just touch up the paint scheme to make it look newer?

14. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    In fairness: George Lucas is not a thorough man.

Zorrixor, Arawn_Fenn and Zeta1127 like this.
  15. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    They even had a reasonable explanation for their "mistake," that even added to the history of the ship, but no, if it isn't identical it must be a completely different ship.

16. The_Phantom_Calamari

Nov 10, 2011
    Yeah, but that's not Lucas at that point, that's ILM animators performing a very basic aspect of their job.

The confusion basically stemmed from authors legitimately thinking, "Why wouldn't Lucas just put the Tantive IV in Episode III? It would make more sense. I guess that is the Tantive IV? Okay, um.....I guess it went through a re-fit or something? Yeah, that's the ticket."

Then George comes out in that one TCW episode and reveals that he inadvertently trolled everyone by making them think that a spaceship in one movie was the same as another very similar-looking spaceship from another movie. The public lets out a collective gasp, the newspapers run special editions to cover the controversy, and Leland Chee resigns his post in disgrace.

That's how I remember it, at least.

JoinTheSchwarz likes this.
  17. TheRedBlade

TheRedBlade Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 17, 2007
    Beyond the neon(!) package, the presence of that hanger bay on the Corvette's belly was a major curveball to it being the Tantive. Nothing ever indicated that she could carry fighters or any other craft, and generally was assumed to not be big enough to do so. To add or remove the kind of hanger space necessary to house Grevious' fighter as completely as the Corvette does in EpIII would be an expensive and time-consuming proposition, not to mention an unnecessary one: if the Royal Family needed a Corvette with different capabilities, they would just use one of their other Corvettes.

Don't get me wrong: it's cooler if that ship is the Tantive IV, and I really wish it was. But if that being true was always Lucas' intent, then he did a pretty crappy job demonstrating that on film. We could have seen the Tantive with its original paint scheme, and then it wouldn't matter if the ship had a docking bay or not. We are, instead, show a ship with a wildly different configuration and a different cosmetic appearance. I guess CEC/Alderaanian ships just go for a white, plasticy look on the inside.

18. darthzac14

darthzac14 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 8, 2012
    What level of canon are The Clone Wars novels? Like Wild Space, No Prisoners, and Clone Wars Gambit. T-canon or C-canon?

19. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    They're C-Canon.

T-Canon = TV Canon, exclusively.

So just TCW, Ewoks, Droids and the Holiday Special. [face_mischief]

DarkEagle likes this.
  20. CeiranHarmony

CeiranHarmony Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 10, 2004
    T-Canon is only TCW... I doubt old series however cool or the Holliday Special.. however bad it may be are actually T-Canon since T-Canon only is for stuff since its creation and onwards. right? The Holliday Special can't be more canon than well.. anything!

21. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    Don't make me "whoosh" you. You wouldn't like me when I "whoosh" you. [face_waiting]

But, yes, you're correct. I was joking. :p

22. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    To be fair to George, at the time he was quite obviously planning to update the appearance in the ANH 3D rerelease to match the redesign. But when they decided to do the ST instead of more 3D remakes, they had to go and retcon the ROTS ship as a different ship after all. It's that obvious!

"It was always my vision for the Tantive IV to look like this. We just couldn't make a model quite like it back in the 70s."

Valin__Kenobi and Summer Dreamer like this.
  23. Darth_Zandalor

Darth_Zandalor Jedi Master star 4

Aug 2, 2009
    Kyle Katarn got over it, and it didn't stop him from force choking people who got in his way when he was a lightsider.

24. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    In the Jedi Vs Sith: Essential Guide to the Force book, it mentioned that the orthodox opinion is that no-one ever completely gets over it.

25. Darth_Zandalor

Darth_Zandalor Jedi Master star 4

Aug 2, 2009
    Which I think is a good thing. True enlightenment involves a greater understanding of the force than just what is taught by a single sect.

Mia Mesharad likes this.