main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Legacy Number Kriffing One, Baby: Prisoner of the Floating World

Discussion in 'Literature' started by CooperTFN, Dec 12, 2012.

1. Skaddix

Skaddix Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 3, 2012
    Well its not unlikely communication was crippled during the wars. Might just be a massive tech upgrade though.

2. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    Well, I was more referring to the fact that his name is Grand Admiral Jello.

Though, the Empire is overall overwhelming militarist, and got its start in the militarist movement of the Old Republic. Even the aristocrats of the Empire were typically from old military families.

True enough.

3. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    I really liked the dynamic between Admiral Stazi and Empress Fel in the preview. You can see where both are coming from.

But why is K'kruhk siding with Stazi? Surely he must see the obvious reasoning behind it? Right now it's looking like Stazi might be the moderate, the compromiser, not K''kruhk, which would be... odd. I don't get where K'kruhk is coming from at all.
    (Nevermind that the Jedi shouldn't even be in the Triumvirate. Nevermind that even if there has to be Jedi in the Triumvirate, they shouldn't be led by K'kruhk. It's the only thing about the Legacy:War finale that I didn't like. I wish Wolf Sazen had lived, and it was him who was leading the Jedi now.)

And yeah, that guy definitely killed the crew. Either he's an Imperial Knight who fell to the dark side, or he's a Sith who had adopted the IK armor.

Looks like we now know whose lightsaber Ania Solo will find, and why it will bring her trouble...

Force Smuggler likes this.
  4. Dawud786

Dawud786 Chosen One star 5

Dec 28, 2006
    Great granddaughter. Allana is Han and Leia's granddaught. Great-great is 2 generations after Allana.

5. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012

Allana's Leia's granddaughter
    Allana's daughter is Leia's great-granddaughter

Allana's granddaughter is Leia's great-great granddaughter.

Summer Dreamer likes this.
  6. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    2 generations after Allana would make it Allana's granddaughter :p

Which makes sense, since Kol is probably Ben's grandson and Roan is almost certainly Jaina's grandson. Allana is about 20 years younger than Jaina, so Ania's age/heritage fits with her being Han/Leia's great-great-granddaughter and Allana's granddaughter.

7. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Yes, but we're talking Tarkinist sort of militarism here. New Order fascist nonsense. Pelly and his ilk still follow the New Order lock, stock, and barrel. Stazi seems to be following in the same mold: you have big guns, and the citizens will stand in line. Her Imperial Majesty has a more responsible view of government, as did those like Ars Dangor, Osvald Teshik, or Teren Rogriss.

The First Empire wasn't overwhelmingly anything. If you were in the Rim, you saw the hard military aspect. If you were in the Core, you saw the civilized governing aspect. In both cases though, the noxious rot of COMPNOR and the New Order were ever present. It's just that in the Core, the good and just could stave off its foul tentacles the way that the Rim could not. Consider: the greatest atrocity of them all, the destruction of Alderaan, was perpetuated by the barbarous war criminal Tarkin, who took his Rimward lawlessness and inflicted it on a noble Core World against the express orders of Lord Vader.

Do not conflate the military with militarism. The Generationals were a different sort from the jackbooted thugs that patrolled the distant reaches of the galaxy. WEG is replete with examples of Imperial governors of the "Old Republic mold" -- those who used the auspices of the Empire to civilize and pacify a war-torn galaxy, but who refused to engage in brutality or act like lawless military despots. You would not see Grand Admiral Teshik use some sort of revolting gardening metaphor to discuss who was worthy to live and who was not. His was to serve and protect all citizens of the Empire, not just those who fit some sort of creepy totalitarian guide for the ideal slave or subject.

The Old Republic failed as a government. That doesn't mean that the Core World values that created it failed; more that it was corrupted by Rimward corporate greed and libertarianism. The Empire -- at least in civilized space -- restored the Republic's dream.

Valin__Kenobi likes this.
  8. DarthMane2

DarthMane2 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 20, 2003
    Like I said over at the DH forum, I love the art, and I'm really excited where the new writers are gonig to go. Still, I really really hate K'Kruhk. I lot of which is my own fault I guess. In the scheme of things K'Kruhk really doesn't matter. Most Star Wars fans, and hell probably a good many casual EU fans don't even know who he is. So he shouldn't really bother me, but he does. Maybe it's because of the fame he has, not so much because he's a great character, but because he has a cool hat.

When K'Kruhk was introduced no one ever said he was an AWESOME character, well developed, etc. They liked his damn hat. Kruhk has as much personality as the rest of the prequel Jedi, which is pretty much NONE.

Maybe it's because this minor character has outlived every single great character in the EU. Which since I don't really care about the EU, he should be nothing more than a character in a comic book to me. But that he has survived this long makes him note worthy, and I don't think K'Kruhk should be note worthy. Why does he get this great honor? Because of a HAT. For me it's like a Legacy comic where we find out Jaxxon is alive and now owner of the Millenium Falcon. It's like...Wut?

I hope he dies!!!

AusStig and Jeff_Ferguson like this.
  9. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Except for the anti-alien policies:

The Rise & Fall of Darth Vader
    page 130:
    Whereas by Pellaeon's time as ruler:
    Vision of the Future page 281:
    I suspect too much is being read into the potential implications of him making a "gardening metaphor" here.

Vader's conversation with Tarkin about the destruction of Alderaan does not involve him giving any "express orders"- simply a recommendation:

The Rise & Fall of Darth Vader
    page 150:
    Not to mention that:
    page 145:

10. Esg

Esg Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    [​IMG]

K'Kruhk likes this.
  11. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Sure. There's ample evidence to show that Pelly's Remnant didn't discriminate against aliens (thanks to Daala, of course). No, the point of the gardening metaphor was to show that he was a social Darwinist nutjob, not that he despised aliens. So yes, you are correct that he did not import that aspect of the New Order.

I'll note that a "law[] that promote{s} hatred" of aliens is a curious phrasing. The Imperial Sourcebook does indicate that all Imperial citizens were equal under the law, so I question to what extent there were actually laws on the books against aliens. I suspect that we saw many COMPNOR affiliates and local legislatures stuffed with New Order Party zealots creating planetary-level anti-alien laws, rather than any sort of Empire-wide legislation.

As regards the Death Star -- Lord Vader's phrasing nonwithstanding, it's clear that Tarkin took it as interference with his command. He objected quite strongly to Lord Vader's assertion of authority, and bristled at the notion that *he* had to answer to the Emperor. He cites the Emperor placing him in charge as if it were some sort of talisman warding off the criminality of his actions. Tarkin was the grand moff of Oversector Outer; he had no authority whatsoever in the Core Worlds. It was not his call to make. He is a governor outside of his province. indeed, at the time, Grand Admiral Teshik was the Imperial plenipotentiary for the Core Worlds, not Tarkin. He succeeded Grand Moff Trachta, was in turn succeeded by Grand Moff Tigellinus, and then he in turn by Lord Golthan. The Core was never Tarkin's.

Valin__Kenobi likes this.
  12. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    Hmmmm.....not sure how to respond, especially as I do not want to derail the thread...

but...your distinctions come off as kind of arbitrary Jello. Tarkin isn't a generationalist even though his family is one of the oldest and most powerful families of the Republic? And while his homeworld is geographically in the rim, its culture has been described as "more core than core."

For that matter, the nature of hyperspace travel makes the core/rim distinction rather hallow - physical distance matters less than how clear the routes are. In any case, plenty of Rim worlds have been civilized just as long as the core - longer in the case of the Gree and Columni.

Similarly, I don't think you can separate the aristocrats from corporatism: many CEOs in Star Wars also have noble titles, and many nobles own at least some businesses. The CIS member corporations, in particular, are based out of some of the oldest and most influential core worlds.

Additionally, I don't think the generationalists are saints either - Admiral Piett, a scrappy rimworlder, is presented as more sympathetic than Ozzel, who is foolish and uncaring and only got a command position because of his family's connections in Cardia.

Finally - yeah, there are plenty of examples of sympathetic old school imperial aristocrats, but that is also true of the rebel alliance and the confederacy of independent star systems.

13. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    I will be collecting the TPB's. Not sure if I can get the regular issues or not. I am so excited for this series. I will be following this series closely.

14. TychoCorde

TychoCorde Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 3, 2012
    The preview looks awesome! I am thinking the species of that governor was the same species pictured on the cover of #2.

15. Jeff_Ferguson

Jeff_Ferguson Force Ghost star 5

May 15, 2006
    K'Kruhk is a moron who calls on archaic 150-year old precedents when making decisions, completely ignoring everything that's happened in the interim. He's a coward and a relic of an outdated past who shouldn't be in any sort of leadership position. Like Darth Mane, I hope he dies a fiery, fiery death.

AusStig, RC-1991 and DarthMane2 like this.
  16. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    I wouldn't say I "hate" K'kruhk. It's not even necessarily a problem that he's still alive in this era.

The problem, I think, is that he's the Jedi leader in this era, and (as an extension of that and as an extension of the Jedi being in the triumvirate) he's now one of the 3 leaders of the new Triumvirate government.

If he was just another Master on the Council, even now, it wouldn't bother me that much.

17. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    I've read a lot of the comics that had K'Kruhk in the PT era but wish he was not in the Legacy era.

18. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    I don't blame the new comic at all, since this was given at the end of "Legacy: War," and I'm glad we're picking up right where we left off, and this really one of the few (perhaps only?) thing John&Jan did that I didn't like in volume 1 of Legacy... so I guess I'm just hoping that K'kruhk leaves the Triumvirate soon, one way or another. Or at least starts making sense.

19. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    I would have liked it if it was someone from Luke's order. Lowie or a descendant of Corran, Kyp, Saba etc.

20. DarthMane2

Sep 20, 2003
    K'Kruhks mere survival was nothing more than the self indulgence of Ostrander. He took a character he had fun playing with in Republic and used him in Legacy.

Nothing wrong with that, it's harmless. What writer doesn't love to use characters they are familiar with? But even the anti-EU in me can't help but sit here and think that of the 150 years of EU. Of all the great EU characters, and Jedi character who were actually interesting people. It's K'Kruhk who survived to lead the Jedi in the far future. Obviously John couldn't use more well known Jedi Masters from the NJO, like Horn or Kip, but man it just annoys me. Plain and simple.

What is so great about K'Kruhk?

Raiden wore the hat better. Man that would be awesome. Have Raiden come in, fry K'Kruhk with lightning and take his hat. [face_skull]

AusStig likes this.
  21. Esg

Esg Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    He doesn't have a human life expectancy

[​IMG]

K'Kruhk likes this.
  22. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    A Kyp or Corran descendant would have tied in the NJO and Luke's legacy so much more than K'Kruhk ever could.

23. DarthMane2

Sep 20, 2003
    that's the thing, John couldn't use them. Well I think he COULD have used them, but he felt that by using them he would have tied the hands of those working on the novels for the FOTJ and whatever else they're working on. Which is fair guess. I mean I can see John and Jan discussing Legacy and just coming thinking, "why not thrown K'Kruhk in there? He was popular in Republic."

Like I said harmless, but now, and unfortunatly for me, K'Kruhk gets to go down as one of the great Jedi Masters who out lived pretty much everybody.

AusStig and Summer Dreamer like this.
  24. DarthMane2

Sep 20, 2003
    No @#$%

RC-1991 likes this.
  25. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    You mean stop Denning from killing everyone? Sucks to be Denning. Or actually keep someone alive from the YJK or the rest of the Next Generation? How is that tying their hands? They can actually flesh a character out and not kill them off

Zeta1127 likes this.