main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena The Official NFL Discussion Thread (Now Featuring Time's Person of the Year, Taylor Swift!)

Discussion in 'Community' started by PRENNTACULAR, Nov 25, 2006.

1. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
  2. Eeth-my-Koth

Eeth-my-Koth Jedi Grand Master star 9

May 25, 2001
    Hahahahahahahha

3. EMPEROR_WINDU

EMPEROR_WINDU Force Ghost star 5

Nov 23, 2002

With Crennel running that team, you actually probably would have. Dude's a trainwreck (coming from a Browns fan)

4. DT421

DT421 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2003
    That would be the absolute smart thing to do. They could trade down to perhaps a 5-10 pick, pick up that possible rookie QB and get another pick or two, for some of the later rounds. None of the QB's in this year's draft are worth wasting a #1 overall on.

5. EMPEROR_WINDU

EMPEROR_WINDU Force Ghost star 5

Nov 23, 2002
    Everyone wants to trade down, but who in their right mind is going to want to trade up?

As for the sumo wrestler discussion, I don't see a sumo wrestler being able to play offensive line in today's NFL. Even the centers are pulling to block on the edge from time to time and I don't see them being able to do that. Only place on the field I could see them fitting in would be at the nose on 1st and 2nd down as they aren't going to get a pass rush, could see them commanding some double teams and collapsing the pocket though.

6. Teegirloo

Teegirloo Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 26, 2005
    So the first player chosen is going be Mr. Irrelevant.:p

Juliet316 likes this.
  7. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Plenty of teams will want to trade up. Not many will want to give up a ton to do so. Joekel is a heck of a take. Could be a franchise piece on the level of a Joe Thomas.

8. Rox

Rox Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 24, 2000
    I would love to see the Steelers trade up and get Joekel but that isn't gonna happen. The Steelers are so week on the O line but they have bigger holes on defense. I hope they grab a running back in round two.

9. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
  10. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
  11. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
  12. Rox

Rox Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 24, 2000
    Roethlesberger is expected to restructure his deal to free up a bunch of cap room by weeks end. Timmons already has today so thats a plus. Rumor is they are pretty interested in wide receiver Steve Breaston. I don't understand this at all. Breaston is a slot receiver they have a handful of those. They need to replace or sign Wallace. Putting a slot guy on the end is kind of blah.

13. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Nah, Clark Hunt wouldn't have let him do that. He values his investments a bit more. And Crennel is an idiot, but I don't think he would have pushed RG3 to play that injured.

14. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005

So it's all Shanahan's fault for RGIII's injury? There's like, no way that RGIII, knowing how high the stakes were in the Dallas game, didn't just say all the right things the coaches wanted to hear and hid any pain/sorness/stiffness he was feeling in his knee; then paid for it a week later in the Seattle game? I mean, yes, the coaches should have had more talks with James Andrews about the condition of RGIII's leg was before letting him play in Dallas and Seattle, but let's face it, in the NFL these days unless it's a concussion, if a team's best player says he's ready to play, then 90% of the time a coach is going to let that player play (Gronk for example, you could easily make the case that perhaps if Belichek had put Gronk on injured reserve instead of letting in play in the playoffs, then he wouldn't have needed three surgeries for his broken arm already). And most players admit they will downplay/hide injures to get back out on the field.

Yes, Shanahan probably deserves a big chunk of the blame for rushing RGIII back on the field before he was truly ready, but I don't think it's as absolutely 100% as you believe.

15. JM_1977

JM_1977 Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 23, 2011
    Alex Smith has been traded to the Chiefs. Finally that team makes a good move

Asterix_of_Gaul likes this.
  16. Eeth-my-Koth

May 25, 2001
    solojones
    Probably the best thing the Chiefs could have done. Now dump that #1 pick for some middle round hidden gems.

17. DT421

DT421 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2003
    It's about time. The Niners pretty much ruined Smith's career from day one. Glad to see Smith finally get away from them and hopefully have a better time of it in KC.

18. JM_1977

JM_1977 Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 23, 2011
    Now KC doesn't have to draft a QB and place their future in the unknown abilities of a rookie player.

Juliet316 likes this.
  19. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    JediMaster_1977 likes this.
  20. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Now? You clearly didn't read my posts during the game :p But seriously, if I at home could tell that they were going to get him seriously injured, how could Shanahan not? I mean, of course he had to know that was possible, but he's so incredibly arrogant in the way he coaches that I'm sure he thought RGIII would be invincible. But the bottom line is that he shouldn't have even been playing in that game. And even if he was, he shouldn't have been running. And even if he was, he shouldn't have kept running when they could have given it to other people and he could hardly even walk at that stage. These are a head coach's decisions to make, bottom line. It rests almost entirely on Shanahan's shoulders because, guess what, that's the responsibility you assume when you're a leader and it's ultimately your call whether someone plays and how they are utilized if they do play. Period. Sorry Shanahan, but coaching isn't all about finding creative ways to cheat, as much as we know you like doing that.

The problem is that I don't think they're going to be able to trade down. I mean I guess if someone really wants a QB and wants to reach. The thing is, in my heart I still believe Geno Smith has the tools to be a really good NFL QB. I'm not saying that means he necessarily will be, and I totally understand the risk involved... but it just rubs me the wrong way to not even go after such an opportunity. I'm not kidding, I would do what Seattle did and still draft a QB even though we have a veteran. Because the thing is, we still don't have any good backups at all either, and we have gotten burned in the past trading for QBs is all.

I mean, yes, Alex Smith is way better than Cassel ever was, even his one year starting in New England. And it's obviously a much higher level of confidence than having to draft and develop a rookie. As you guys probably know, I like Alex Smith a lot. I think it's a good get, I'm just disappointed our first ever first overall pick had to come in such a crappy draft. I mean, I don't really think there are players in any position who are worth #1 overall money in this draft. Just our luck.

Nothing's ever a sure thing. But the only big downside to this of course is that even if Smith stays on a roll and doesn't slip back into mediocrity again (which I don't think he will), he's still 28. But here's the thing, and what I've tried to tell my mom (who is really pissed about this because she really wanted to draft Geno)... Trent Green was 30 when we traded for him, and he was the best QB we've had since Len Dawson. With Alex Smith, we might only get 6-8 years really, but if they are a good 6-8 years I really don't care. I am guardedly optimistic.

21. Eeth-my-Koth

May 25, 2001
    There's talk of the 49ers interested in trading some of the million picks they have for Revis. Not sure if the jets are even interested in entertaining that idea. But if I was the Chiefs I would dangle that #1 pick plus another pick for Revis. People want to point out that Revis has crappy numbers the last few years. But what they forget is that it's hard to put up numbers when the QB ignores your half of the field. Shutting down half the field for the offense > stats.

22. The Great No One

The Great No One Jedi Grand Master star 8

Jun 4, 2005
    yea. deion sanders had the same problem. although he'd still force the issue sometimes.

23. LloydChristmas

LloydChristmas Baseball and Three-Time Jedi Draft Champion star 5 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 3, 2012
    HEY! You spelled his name right.

24. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
  25. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Jay Glazer reporting that Flacco and Baltimore have a deal, finalized Monday.

Edit- Just missed the last line of your post, Juliet, oops. :-B