main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Ignorance is Bias: The Diversity Manifesto

Discussion in 'Literature' started by CooperTFN, Sep 2, 2012.

1. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    They at least have pink eyes and chalk white skin, so it could be far worse.

2. Skaddix

Skaddix Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 3, 2012
    Near Human tells us very little in Star Wars it is so overused. I mean lets say the Chiss, Near Human absolutely. Blue Skin and Red Eyes are not natural for humans.

But yeah offensive.

Contessa likes this.
  3. Mia Mesharad

Mia Mesharad Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    That just compounds a poor stereotypical Asian caricature with additional albino features. Which is still problematic due to the unfair characterization albinos often get in media―freaks, outcasts, or evil―being mixed with something that is either borderline or outright racist. No good all around.

Contessa likes this.
  4. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    Even the name - "Ropagu" - sounds like a terrible reference to a stereotypically thick accent.

Contessa likes this.
  5. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004
    I’ll just go with reading to much into it with this one, as the species description and history really doesn’t support anything in that direction.

6. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Dude--I'll grant that we can occasionally be quick to pick things apart in here, but that image is pretty bad. Their story IU could be Citizen Kane and it wouldn't excuse it.

Contessa likes this.
  7. The Loyal Imperial

Nov 19, 2007
    Their story isn't actually all that great, if we go by Alien Encounters.

Contessa and Mia Mesharad like this.
  8. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004
    Of course the image is unfortunate but I would find it way more insulting if the species is meant to fulfill the stereotypes associated with it, which they really don’t. So all the image really is to me is one guy in a billion or so of them having an exotic taste in clothing and beards.

They fought regular battles in the past, just droped the idea over time and good at warfare is relativ. After some 4000 years of having stoped taking part in battles they really are likely not to be great at it compared to lets say Trandoshans, who physically stronger than humans, have spurious senses to humans, can regenerate wounds and many of which spent their whole lives honing hunting and fighting skills.

9. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    We had a rather prolonged conversation about this earlier--it's a fairly common, and lazy at best, trope to translate a caricature of a foreign culture into an alien one, and just change a superficial detail or two (or worse, mix in a stereotype of another culture) to make their derivation seem less blatant.

Put another way--if Chalctans had four arms or carried battle axes, they'd still be a sloppy Hindu pastiche.

Contessa likes this.
  10. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004
    It just strikes me as odd to take the dress style of one or two members of a society and try to conclude something about the society as a whole from it. Sure it is sometimes done on purpose (Babylon 5 for example is pretty open about the Centauri being old style European Imperialists) but it needs more than just for one of them to just dress a certain way to make it so. The Centauri have pretty much the whole package, dressing like it, having a society with clear similarities and even a building and art style to match.
    The Ropagu are democratic, deeply peaceful, technology minded philosophers who live in symbiotic relationship with floating telepathic jellyfish, so I am somewhat hard pressed to find something they are meant to be a cliché of.

11. The Loyal Imperial

Nov 19, 2007
    That would be worse, actually. :p

12. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
  13. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    Yeah... I try to forget the existence of the albino Fu Manchu there. But, every now and then, he has a way of reminding me. And then I cringe.

14. Rilwen_Shadowflame

Rilwen_Shadowflame Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 27, 2005
    If they wanted cowardly pacifists, maybe they shouldn't have made them humanoid.

...They could have made sheep-people or something. Or people with a resemblance to cows. There you go, now the cowardly pacifism thing is a reference to the passivity of a grazing animal, instead of an insult to a human group.

And that's me coming up with those solutions in under a minute. The people who write for Star Wars should be creative enough, and have minutes enough, to think of at least what I thought of, or more likely something better. Not this... current example.

15. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004
    They aren’t cowards, they just figured if it has to happen it is better for them to pay someone else to fight for them, since they have been pacifists for 4000 years and are physically relatively fragile (they used to wage extremely bloody wars in the past).

16. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    Probably still would have been best if they weren't Human-looking.

17. Rilwen_Shadowflame

Mar 27, 2005
    You could even go all-out on the 'fragile' thing. Make them long-limbed and skinny - sapient stick insects or something. Anthropomorphise them a little if you really must, but generally make them look as though they'd snap in half if something hit them.

Either way, my point stands; there are about a billion better ways to convey that kind of species-personality than the one they chose.

18. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    You can never have too many insectoids. With the diverse range of insect species we have, I wouldn't expect anything less from the GFFA. And, I simply have a soft spot for our hard-shelled friends.

19. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004
    Hmm which just got me wondering if we ever got any Arthropods as sentient species… *tries to think of any*

20. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    Verpine, Vratix, Gand, Colicoid, Brizzit, Kibnon, Killiks, Kamarian, Hiromi (YAAAAAAAAAY!), Flakax, Tritonite, Titterbugs, Yam'rii, Geonosian, whatever Skeeter is...

Gorefiend likes this.
  21. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004
    I was just being stupid sorry I meant Arachnids specifly, of course we have seen tons of Arthropoda.

22. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    Harch, Charon, Assembler, Sic-Six, Lucents from the Polyhedron magazine, Spider People, Charr Ontee, Rakaan...

Gorefiend likes this.
  23. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    Assemblers and Harch, just off the top of my head.

Edit: Trak, please tell me you're an entomologist in real life. :p

Random Comments likes this.
  24. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    Technically a naturalist with a love for bugs. I have a ton of research and reference material at my disposal and practically memorized my field guides as a kid, but I don't have a degree. I've toyed with the idea of going into forensic entomology, though.

25. Rilwen_Shadowflame

Mar 27, 2005
    Or, while still going insectoid, butterfly people!

Big fragile-looking but pretty wings say 'we have a good reason not to want to fight' far more than dubious caricatures of humans...