main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Social Sketch Jam! (Week 4: April 15 - April 22)

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by HanSolo29 , Feb 24, 2013.

1. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    Greetings!

Welcome to the Fan Art forum's first ever Sketch Jam! For those not familiar with the term, a sketch jam is designed for both artists and fans alike. Each week, a random topic will be chosen from the Star Wars universe (and for those who wish to expand upon their creative juices, there will also be a non-Star Wars topic) and it will be your job to interpret that topic any way you wish as long as it is done in a traditional media (NO photo-manips). It could be a quick pencil sketch, a painting, full-scale drawing with color, etc. The possibilities are endless.

The main thing to remember is that this is NOT A CONTEST. The main purpose of the Sketch Jam! is to get those creative juices flowing and to get a chance to practice your skill. In some cases, it may even be a chance to improve your skills as an artist. With that said, I am looking for new pieces of art created specifically for the topics of the Sketch Jam! Critiques are welcomed, but if you prefer to not have your work critiqued, please say so at the bottom of your post. As always, please post all entries to this thread (you may post your entries to your individual artist threads as well).

And of course, remember to have fun!

The Topics for Week Four:

Star Wars: Ahsoka Tano

Non-Star Wars: Batman

Requests:
    If you have a topic you would like to see, please send a PM to HanSolo29 with your recommendations. All requests will be put into a queue and are guaranteed to make an appearance in a future installment of the Sketch Jam!

Corellian_Outrider and TrakNar like this.
  2. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    Placeholder for index

Hitchhiking-Ghost likes this.
  3. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    I have drawn and painted Yoda numerous times and this is one of them

[​IMG]

4. HanSolo29

Apr 13, 2001
    First of all, let me say great Yoda. Thanks for posting it! :)

However, I want to point out that I was specifically looking for new pieces of art for this exercise (I might not have been clear about that in the OP and for that, I apologize). The idea is to practice your skill and perhaps even use this as a daily warm-up exercise. Remember, it doesn't need to be a finished piece of art; a simple pencil sketch will do. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask. :)

5. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    Since Yoda is on my sketch card drawing list, then I know who to draw this week! :D

6. Antlers

Antlers Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 30, 2012
    I like this idea! I'm pretty busy with grad school right now, but hopefully I'll have time for a little sketch soon!

7. Corellian_Outrider

Corellian_Outrider Former FanForce Admin star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 9, 2002
    After wrestling with the new format Photobucket had deciding to go with...(It's frustrating to get a direct link going as it overrides the link to go with their beta page...) I did a sketch of Yoda.
    [​IMG]

Due to my scanner being out of order, I had to resort to photographing it with my iPhone. Worked with 2B and 4B graphite.

TrakNar likes this.
  8. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    If Photobucket is giving you trouble, might I suggest Imageshack? I started using them when AdBlocker blocked all of Photobucket's interface, rendering it unusable.

9. Corellian_Outrider

Mar 9, 2002
    I'll look into it. I've been considering reactivating/restarting my blog and link from there. There's also DeviantArt which I haven't been updating as much.

I'll try my hand at doing Tony Stark... Iron Man's suit reminds me too much of Samus Aran and I've got an artwork of her on the backburner.

10. Lord_Dubi

Lord_Dubi Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 3, 2012
    Good idea HanSolo29, with the sketch jam, and an awesome yoda painting Obi-Wan and great sketch Correlian_Outrider. I'll drop in a piece or 2 this week too. As for uploading the art, I use my deviantArt account, which I recently restarted, to link images to the forums :).

11. HanSolo29

Apr 13, 2001
    Okay, this is going to be a dumb question, but how did you embed the image like that (with the small thumbnail as a link)? For the life of me, I can't figure it out with the new boards. The usual [image= ] doesn't seem to work.

12. Corellian_Outrider

Mar 9, 2002
    It's a url code with the image code within.

Code:
    [URL= ][IMG][/IMG][/URL]
    You put the direct link after the equals and alter it for between the IMG set. If you are using Photobucket, you add 'th_' before the name of the file in the link for the thumbnail. If the thumbnail has a different link for a different service then you put that link in there. The [image=] is obsolete and no idea why it doesn't show up.

13. HanSolo29

Apr 13, 2001
    Mmm...yeah, I would've never figured that out on my own...especially with the 'th_' thing. Thank you! :D

Also, I don't think I said this earlier, but awesome Yoda! It has a neat animated feel to it! Almost as if it's a cross between TCW style and realistic. I like it!

14. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    I just cheat and use Imageshack's thumbnail code. :p

Speaking of which, here it is down to the wire.

[​IMG]

15. Lord_Dubi

Sep 3, 2012
    Awesome Yoda :)

TrakNar likes this.
  16. Lord_Dubi

Sep 3, 2012
    Here's my Yoda:

[​IMG]

17. Lord_Dubi

Sep 3, 2012
    Iron Man sketch card
    [​IMG]

18. HanSolo29

Apr 13, 2001
    TrakNar: Wow! Great Yoda! I love your use of light and dark - it really gives it a whole new dynamic!

Lord_Dobi: Great work and I really dig your style! Those are some nice pieces!

New topics will be up in a second! I just need to get around to updating the first post.

And just a reminder, I am always taking requests for topics! If you have something you would like to see, please send me a PM with your suggestions! :)

19. Lord_Dubi

Sep 3, 2012
  20. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    Down to the wire again!

[​IMG]

21. Lord_Dubi

Sep 3, 2012
    Nice :D

TrakNar likes this.
  22. HanSolo29

Apr 13, 2001
    Great work, everyone! :)

The new topics have been posted! Sorry for being a day late.

23. Lord_Dubi

Sep 3, 2012
    TrakNar likes this.
  24. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    Good to know that I'm not the only one who drew Kit looking a bit... crazed.

[​IMG]

Lord_Dubi likes this.
  25. Lord_Dubi

Sep 3, 2012
    A turtle fight...was going to draw the whole group, but had another idea when I found and old orange envelope lying around...

[​IMG]