main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion How serious should Episode VII be!

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Jimstarwarsfan, Feb 27, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jimstarwarsfan

Jimstarwarsfan Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 30, 2012
    From watching the OT and then the PT, i find the serious nature in the OT appealing. The forced comedy gags in the PT were just awful and made me cringe. Floppy ears Jar Jar idiot... (please don't start a PT debate). The comedy relief in the OT was so subtle and clever that it was adsorbed by the movies. Episode IIV no doubt will be a serious plot and have no need for comedy relief.

2. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    I prefer the serious approach myself, dare I say grittier.

On the other hand, a lot of people would crucify someone for suggesting "a grittier" Star Wars.
    On the other other hand, there's a fair bit of people who would prefer a bit more mature take on the universe.
    On the third (or is it fourth?) hand, there are those who just want their personal version of Star Wars and are generally never happy with the end result.

Oh well.

Ryus likes this.
  3. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    Prefer more serious and dare I say grittier myself too, but suspect if ep 7 will aim to be more like the OT it will end up more like Star Wars than Empire (but ep 8 could be more like ep 5 though)

4. Jimstarwarsfan

Oct 30, 2012
    As J.J. Arams is of the old School of the fan base i would maybe see him taking and empire approach alyhough he wants hes own unique stamp on the franchise. I would love that! All what Hamill said, regarding input from him to go back to sets and less CGI made me think really. PT comedy NOOOOOOOOOO!

5. Redfivee

Redfivee Jedi Master star 2

Sep 28, 2008
    I hate to say this but it should have the 2009 ST tone to it,maybe Alittle more serious but it should be a fun adventure.Then EP8 should be the dark one then EP9 be the serious finale.

6. clone3131

clone3131 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2004
    Either way, just PLEASE no more Fart or Burp jokes for no reason.

They really are out of place....

-C

Darth_Invidious likes this.
  7. Jimstarwarsfan

Oct 30, 2012
    Defo! a fun element is good to have. a deep story with some amazing twists.

8. Placeholder

Placeholder Jedi Master star 4

Jan 30, 2013
    It can be both. It needs to be both IMO. Star Wars needs an element of fun

9. Fleab88

Fleab88 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 12, 2012
    Find it rather ironic that the OP gets his jabs in on the PT, but then says he doesn't want any PT debate. Seems to be trying to get in the last word as the first word. Hmmmmm.

Anyway, I prefer neither tone. I want the ST to have it's own tone. I don;t think that is necessary a grittier tone. So long as it has a sense of adventure, and makes me care about the characters then I am good. Trying to be like the OT, or do everything they can to not be like the PT would just be one big mistake imo.

10. ShabbaTheHutt

ShabbaTheHutt Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 8, 2013
    Well the request was to not start a PT debate.
    No-one has been asked to refrain from partaking in the one initiated by the OP
    :D

11. my kind of scum

my kind of scum Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2002
    Kind of difficult to ask not to start a debate when you start your post with an inflammatory statement...

At any rate, I do think the humor in the OT was more organic and less forced - more subtle. I would prefer that type of humor to Eopies farting any day of the week (even though I think the humor in the PT takes an undeserved beating sometimes - but I certainly wouldn't want to start a PT debate...)
    That said, I would say in general that the PT actually had a more serious tone than the OT. I guess it depends on how one looks at it.

DarthBreezy likes this.
  12. yggdrasil311

yggdrasil311 Jedi Master star 3

Oct 7, 2004
    The prob with the PT for me was that the majority of the characters in the movie, outside of yoda and qui-gon and obi-wan, were not likable or relatable. There was no sense of care or urgency or feeling towards what their endgame and goals were. So I couldn't take them seriously.

We need to get back to some good writing and directing and filming. Side stories are important. I loved Pietts rise through the ranks, due to people being killed some way or the other (mostly by Vader comically) . I miss that.

13. Han Burgundy

Han Burgundy Jedi Master star 3

Jan 28, 2013
    Serious enough to get invested in the story, light enough to have fun with it.

BTW, humor =/= lightness. ESB is the funniest episode in the series, and it's also the second darkest.

14. Jimstarwarsfan

Oct 30, 2012
    I don't really want a a total remake of the OT trilogy, Just that it has it's own feel, but i feel what the BIG 3 will bring will be enough to satisfy me regarding the fan boy element of the OT.

I do have a JAR JAR punch bag that i jab every now and then!:p But this is not a debate on the PT...

15. Axys

Axys Jedi Padawan star 1

Feb 27, 2013
    I think it's because now a days, humor has to be put right in front of your face with a sign saying "HUMOR HERE".

16. Fleab88

Sep 12, 2012
    You keep using that phrase. I do not think it means what you think it means.

17. Axys

Axys Jedi Padawan star 1

Feb 27, 2013
    Inconceivable!

Jedi Merkurian , lbr789 and Fleab88 like this.
  18. Jimstarwarsfan

Oct 30, 2012
    I don't really have a jar jar punch bag. This is not a debate about the PT. A lot of threads on here end up having a debate about the PT. Please can we keep to topic. :) maybe i should not of called jar jar an idiot. now please!

19. Fleab88

Sep 12, 2012
    Right now you have been the only one bringing up the PT all others have been a response to you bringing the topic up. You have been the only one making debate like points on this non existent debate. I prefer the OT too, but seriously, if you don't want a PT debate then stop talking about. This should be especially true consider the majority of your first post was about hot bad the PT is.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  20. Axys

Axys Jedi Padawan star 1

Feb 27, 2013
    I look at it as this... Doesn't matter if Disney releases a total flop, clay-mation, 6 hour long bore fest. I'd probably still enjoy it and give them all my money, as I currently do [face_talk_hand]

DarthBreezy likes this.
  21. Jimstarwarsfan

Oct 30, 2012
    I dont keep on about it. The only comment i made was a light hearted reponse to me getting my jab out first. PUNCH BAG! jab jab...

How serious should Episode IIV be?

Thank you for co-operation...

22. anakin-the-chosen-one

anakin-the-chosen-one Jedi Master

Feb 17, 2013
    I think the first Episode of the new trilogy wont be as serious as the second or third, I think they'll focus more on introducing the new cast and familiarising people with them before they get into the more serious stuff.
    Episode VIII or IX will probably have more of a ROTS sense in them than VII.

STARBOB likes this.
  23. Fleab88

Sep 12, 2012
    I agree with this, though I think it is possible IX will not have as dark of a feel by the climax. I think it really depends on in this trilogy would literally be finishing up the Skywalker legacy so that future films will take on completely different stories. If that is the case then I think IX would finish on an incredibly bright note.

24. Placeholder

Placeholder Jedi Master star 4

Jan 30, 2013
    ROTS was about the fall of SkyWalker and the fall of the Republic. The new trilogy will certainly not end on such a dark note. The second movie of the trilogy is the one most likely to be dark

anakin-the-chosen-one likes this.
  25. Axys

Axys Jedi Padawan star 1

Feb 27, 2013
    Fleab88 Do you think that once the Skywalker legacy is done, people will lose interest? Because I think people will. They will complain "it's not the same". "It sucks because there is no more Vader". etc etc.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.