main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Will Disney/Lucasfilm remake Episodes I-III and/or IV-VI?

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by bighairedaristocrat, Feb 27, 2013.

1. Darth Claire

Darth Claire Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2012
    Then again....they already remade the prequels. Its called X Men: First Class

Come on change bits and pieces of XM:FC and it can totally work as a star wars prequel. They're both basicly about a good guy turning into a villain with a funny helmet.

Axys likes this.
  2. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    It's never going to happen. George Lucas isn't going to sell his life's work to a company that is just going to remake it a few years (or even a 100 years) down the road. He talked in the first video posted after the Disney acquisition about selling SW to a company who would protect it. Does anyone really think he wouldn't put stipulations into the contract that would forbid any remakes. I think that's quite likely. Like I said, never going to happen.

3. Placeholder

Placeholder Jedi Master star 4

Jan 30, 2013
    Disney has complete creative control over the property, they can do anything they want.

4. Poor Greedo

Poor Greedo Jedi Master star 2

Nov 6, 2012
    Reboot the whole damn thing...in anime :)

Episode Swag likes this.
  5. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    Not if the contract stipulates no remakes. ;)

6. stormcloud8

stormcloud8 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 24, 2002
    I have almost no doubt in my mind that it will happen, but I think it will be decades from now. Kids in the year 2050 will find both the PT and OT dated and boring, George will be dead, and Disney will see the chance to make a billion or two.

Episode Swag likes this.
  7. Placeholder

Jan 30, 2013
    Complete creative control, they were never going to spend that kind of money on a property that they can't control

Pro Scoundrel likes this.
  8. Zane the Reaper

Zane the Reaper Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 5, 2012
    He plans to put himself into carbon freeze after Episode IX comes out.
    [​IMG]

9. Placeholder

Jan 30, 2013
    I don't actually think that they will, but as to whether or not they control the property and can do whatever they want, they absolutely do.

10. appleseed

appleseed Chosen One star 5

Dec 5, 2002
    Do Not Want.

11. Axys

Axys Jedi Padawan star 1

Feb 27, 2013
    It's called TCW

Pro Scoundrel likes this.
  12. black_saber

black_saber Force Ghost star 5

Apr 4, 2002
    Its never going to happen!!!!!!!!!

13. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    They have complete creative control over the future of SW but that says nothing about their ability to remake the films. Again George Lucas is a smart guy and he's not going to sell his life's work to company without making sure that his stories are protected in the future. I don't see how that is such a crazy idea.

Julius Vernon likes this.
  14. Placeholder

Jan 30, 2013
    They have "unfettered control" over the property. It's that simple. It's right there in black and white. There is nothing ambiguous about it.

15. Jedi_Ford_Prefect

Jedi_Ford_Prefect Jedi Master star 4

Jun 9, 2003
    I've always thought it would be interesting to see a full-scale retelling of the "Star Wars" story, but in another medium. Especially after seeing the quality of work done in TCW, the ideal way to "remake" the saga might eventually be in animation, and specifically animation for television. Take each of the movies, convert the plot into a season's worth of half-hour shows, and have at it. This might actually benefit some of the movies whose plots are more on the episodic side (TPM and ESB especially-- it could solve that nagging "how long was Luke training?" question). With animation you'd have the ability to remain true to the visual substance of the films while embellishing things, putting a new spin on them. It's not really necessary as a whole, but it could be worse.

But just plain remaking the films in live action? Stupid. Even worse, the idea of remaking just one trilogy, as some kind of fanboy revisionism. Enough of this whiney, spoiled entitlement.

16. Zane the Reaper

Nov 5, 2012
    If I had the choice between a new story and a remake, I'd chose a new story every single time. That goes for SW and anything else. But hey ... that's me.

17. Jedi_Ford_Prefect

Jedi_Ford_Prefect Jedi Master star 4

Jun 9, 2003
    Except for the legal red-tape between them, Fox and Warner Bros on the pre-existing 6 films and TCW.

18. Zane the Reaper

Nov 5, 2012
    I love this sentence.

19. STARBOB

STARBOB Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 11, 2002
    Please leave starwars as is. they can remake spaceballs if they want .

20. Placeholder

Jan 30, 2013
    What part of unfettered is unclear. You guys see what you want to see. The quote is clear. "UNFETTERED"

21. Zane the Reaper

Nov 5, 2012
    I've wanted a Spaceballs version of the Prequels for the longest time!

Axys likes this.
  22. SithLord_1270

SithLord_1270 Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 5, 2008
    No remakes....besides that would be a really stupid thing to attempt.

23. STARBOB

STARBOB Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 11, 2002
    You wouldn't even have to change JAR JAR for that prequel. Just leave him as is.:p

24. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    They have "unfettered rights" over the future of SW. But they don't have the distribution rights for Episode I-II-III-V-VI until 2020 and ANH will continue to stay with 20th Century Fox in perpetuity. So that is certainly not "unfettered rights" over the properties and why I don't think it's out of question for Lucas to put in stipulations to protect his story. He would be crazy not to and I don't see Disney having any problem with that. But we will never agree so its best not to argue in circles.

25. Placeholder

Jan 30, 2013
    They have control over the title and the characters. They can just reboot it at will. They don't need distribution rights to the original films, they wouldn't be the original films.