main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion "Dirty" firefights

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by IG_2000, Feb 26, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. IG_2000

IG_2000 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 5, 2008
    I always thought the prequels had boring shooting sequences since all of the shots were usually clean and precise. While the original trilogy had sparks flying and people tumbling in all directions with flaming holes in their chests. Anyone else want to see this style brought back?

2. Darth Claire

Darth Claire Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2012
    Dirty? :p
    I'd like a return to the more brutal, "I'm beating the **** out of you no grace no choreography no nothing" types of fight

3. Darth_Zandalor

Darth_Zandalor Jedi Master star 4

Aug 2, 2009
    Less lightsabers and hokey religions. More good ole' blasters at your side.
    It's telling that my favorite parts of Phantom Menace were the scenes on Tatooine. The criminal element of Star Wars was almost nonexistent in the prequels after TPM, and I felt that was a big letdown.

Star Wars has all the trappings of a Space Western, but they never seem to exploit this nowadays, favoring lightsabers or politics over Bounty Hunters and gunslinger Smugglers. I want moar Crime syndicates, hutts, Black Sun, bounty hunters, blasters, thieves, convicts, wretched hives of scum and villainy.

4. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    I wish they make fight scenes along the lines of those from The Old Republic cinematic trailers.

Whatever one thinks of the game, those cinematics were some pretty ****ing epic things.

EDIT - In fact, I just rewatched them and even though I do enjoy the game itself... damn, why isn't it more like the cinematics...

starmin76 and Pro Scoundrel like this.
  5. Placeholder

Placeholder Jedi Master star 4

Jan 30, 2013
    Star Wars needs gangsters!

Death T likes this.
  6. Darth_Zandalor

Darth_Zandalor Jedi Master star 4

Aug 2, 2009
    Make the Sequel Trilogy like a 40s Gangster flick.

7. clone3131

clone3131 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2004
  8. Darth Xalfrea

Darth Xalfrea Jedi Master star 4

Jan 2, 2013
    Considering that it was the lightsaber era, you shouldn't be surprised.

9. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    "Dirty" may not be an appropriate word to use on this forum . Some of us have vivid imaginations. :p

So would a dirty firefight involve who has the biggest light saber or blaster rifle? :p

10. Jedi_Ford_Prefect

Jedi_Ford_Prefect Jedi Master star 4

Jun 9, 2003
    You mean the ones with Jedi that looked like they were on steroids and fight sequences that included bullettime slow-mo? I shudder at the thought of that in a real SW movie.

Anyway. I much prefer the PT style of lightsaber choreography combat to the simplistic shootouts of the OT. I'd say if you combine the duels of the PT with the dogfights of the OT, you have a good compromise.

11. The Hellhammer

Nov 4, 2012
    Eh...no Jedi looked like they were on steroids in those cinematics, man.
    The game itself has a stylized look, but the trailers are pretty realistic in their appearance.

Slow motion looked rather cool to me, but if you don't like it fair enough.

12. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    You sound like my type of Darth. :cool:

eDisc and Darth Claire like this.
  13. TheManFromMortis

TheManFromMortis Jedi Master star 3

Nov 19, 2012
    _ _ _ _

I actually thought that some of the battles scenes involving the clones fighting on Geonosis in AOTC were really well shot - bit of shaky cam, dust, explosions, smoke, blaster shots. Those scenes impressed me.

14. starve

starve Jedi Youngling

Nov 4, 2012
    I agree. Those TOR cinematics were amazing. I could live without bullet-time, but the overall fight choreography was incredible. In my opinion, the best sword fight in the entire series was Obi-Wan vs. Maul in TPM, but even that is trash compared to the TOR trailers.Those trailers also had other things, like gun recoil and people getting their heads force-slammed into the ground so hard is cracks the concrete. ...very visceral and brutal. I love it.

The thing about the trailer choreography is that every swing of a saber is a STRIKE that would have killed its target if it hadn't been blocked or parried. If you watch the prequel fight choreography closely almost every fight consists of them clanking sabers together, often in swings that wouldn't have landed even unblocked. ...and then of course you have things like Anakin inexplicably sticking his arm out to be chopped off by Dooku.

The dumbest fight was Anakin v. Obi-Wan in ROS. ...just a bunch of swinging sabers at nothing.

starmin76 and The_Hellhammer like this.
  15. Han Burgundy

Han Burgundy Jedi Master star 3

Jan 28, 2013
    I dunno exactly what the OP is referring to, but I LOVED that practical effect that happened whenever you saw a Stormtrooper getting shot by a blaster. That big, fiery hole they made caused the fights to feel legitimately dangerous.

16. Darth Cornish

Darth Cornish Jedi Grand Master star 1

Nov 7, 2000
    Definitely would like to see a return to the OT style of gunfights. Thing is in order to have those visceral scenes of a big fiery hole when someone was shot you need to have real actors in suits so they can do a practical effect when the laser bolt hits. Just doesn't look the same when its a cg droid or clone.

Assuming there is a baddie army of some description, i hope its represented by actors in suits - at least for close up shots - so they can do those practical effects.

Agree with Themanfrommortis though. The Geonosis scenes were good - reminded me a lot of the battle of Hoth.

17. bighairedaristocrat

bighairedaristocrat Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 6, 2013
    One of the things i diliked about the OT was the bad guys were a bunch of droids. Watching CGI aliens fight CGI droids just isnt compelling. Clonetroopers vs. Droids was a bit more interesting, but not by much. When the combattants are soulless robots or clones, its just hard to be invested in the battle or stakes. I mean, lets be honest - who really cared if a bunch of GGI gungans or droids died? The sequels would do well to have real humans (with aliens) fighting other humans (with aliens). It would make it easier to "emotionally invest" in the conflict.

The_Hellhammer likes this.
  18. Darth Cornish

Darth Cornish Jedi Grand Master star 1

Nov 7, 2000
    Agree. The battle of Naboo was like watching a loony toons cartoon. No emotional investment at all. A sharp contrast to the Obi / Qui Gon / Maul lightsaber fight.

KevinM1 and The_Hellhammer like this.
  19. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    I cared. Then again Jar Jar is one of my favorite characters of the Saga. I love that goofy b%$@#&!. That said I hope the ST has its own tone just like the OT and PT have. I don't want a rehash of what I've already seen. I want something totally fresh.

20. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    There should definately be smoke coming out of everything the blaster bolts hit.

21. The Hellhammer

Nov 4, 2012
    I cared.

I was hoping they would wipe them out.
    All of them.

22. KevinM1

KevinM1 Jedi Master star 2

Nov 15, 2012
    I certainly hope we do see smoke, sparks, and real people in costume/armor. CG clones/Gungans vs CG droids in a CG setting just doesn't do it for me.

More on the screen != better. Ground battles like Hoth and Endor worked so much better because of real people in real snow/forest, carrying around real props and wearing real costumes. Tangible is always the way to go, especially in sci-fi/fantasy where so much is already testing our suspension of disbelief. There needs to be something mundane to ground the utterly fantastic.

Darth_Cornish likes this.
  23. Bobatron

Bobatron Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    My favorite shootouts were the first shootout and the escape from Cloud City.
    It was easier to maintain a PG rating with Jedi chopping down creatures and droids with lightsabers than people getting shot. Remember the "60 Minutes" episode before TPM with Lesley Stahl interviewing George Lucas? There was a clip where he was reviewing Naboo shooting scenes and pointing out "that guy doesn't have to die on camera."
    For the Special Editions, Lucas also trimmed some of those flaming laser wounds. As for The Clone Wars, there have been some serious blaster deaths on that show.

24. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    The two shooutouts in ANH (Tantive 4 and Death Star) are amazing. The escape from Cloud City and to the end of the movie is my favorite sequence ever.
    Bobatron when you refer to the Episode 1 death are you referring to the guard that charges out in front of Amidala and does the Wilhelm scream in the hanger at the end?

yodasbum and General Immodet like this.
  25. General Immodet

General Immodet Jedi Master star 5

Dec 5, 2012
    Yeah, the shootouts in the OT were more exciting than the shootouts in PT. In my opinion, that is probably because of the digitalized special effects.
    Watching Han Solo shoot Stormies in Mos Eisley really pumped up your adrenaline. Plus, there was more smoke in the shooting scenes.

Force Smuggler likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.