main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena The NBA Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by KnightWriter, Nov 16, 2006.

?

Which team is the favorite to win the title?

1. Boston Celtics

8.7%
  2. Cleveland Cavaliers

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Dallas Mavericks

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Denver Nuggets

39.1%
  5. Los Angeles Lakers

4.3%
  6. Miami Heat

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Milwaukee Bucks

34.8%
  8. Phoenix Suns

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Other

13.0%
  1. Runjedirun

Runjedirun Force Ghost star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Allen Houston used to own that contest Knicks never got a championship :(

2. The Great No One

The Great No One Jedi Grand Master star 8

Jun 4, 2005
    steve kerr was pretty good at it too

3. Runjedirun

Runjedirun Force Ghost star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Larry Bird was probably the best, but even I'm too young to really remember his playing days.

4. The Great No One

Jun 4, 2005
    given that kerr holds the career record for 3 pointer percentage, i'd think he might have been the best at it. possibly.

5. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    he only won the three point contest once. bird won it three times. allen houston only entered it once and was eliminated in the first round, incidentally.

6. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000

I loved how he kept on the jacket each time.

7. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    You and your facts ... And your logic ...

8. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
  9. The Great No One

Jun 4, 2005
    it's not over yet tunick. they still might make it.

unlikely, but possible.

10. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    Big difference between Bird and Kerr was that Bird was the Celtics primary offensive weapon, so that he often drew double teams regardless of where he was on the floor. Kerr was a secondary option behind Jordan and Pippen, and generally only shot if he was wide open. Bird wins this debate hands down.

epic and DarthTunick like this.
  11. The Great No One

Jun 4, 2005
    if you're asking who was a better offensive player overall, yea. no question. who was better at that specific skill... i don't think it's quite that cut and dried personally. especially since you have ray allen to mention in that as well. and arguably reggie miller.

EDIT

bird's 3pt% was under .400. and barely over it during any season he played. i think it's dubious at best to say he was obviously a better 3pt shooter than kerr.

12. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Wow. Cavs take down Bulls without Kyrie. Didn't see that coming. Future is looking bright in Cleveland.

DarthTunick likes this.
  13. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    yeah, i watched that game. cavs just wanted it more. they seem to have really good chemistry right now.

14. epic

epic Ex Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 1999
    Amazing how much worse we are on defence with Taj not out there.

Boozer is so bad defensively. So bad

15. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    The Good: Starting off Oscar Sunday (one of my favorite days of the year) on a great note, the Lakers did this:

A niiiiiiice Kobe (38 points)/Dirk (30 points) duel that ended in an exciting Laker win, semi-unusual in Nash's offense (20 points) and the bench continuing to improve (since D'Antoni has limited their rotations to basically Blake-Meeks-Jamison). Normally this kind of game features these team's positioning their seeding in the playoffs, rather than fighting to just make them. And it's not breaking news that Mark Cuban is sometimes a **** (context:http://espn.go.com/dallas/nba/story...omments-kobe-bryant-amnesty-were-hypothetical).

The Bad: The following night in Denver (in which Kobe still gets booed more than in any other arena in the league), this happened:

Too much Wilson Chandler, Lawson & Cory Brewer... would have been a worse loss for the Lakers if not for them going 8-19 on 3-point shots. And to add to that annoyance: I was coming down with a possible cold during the game, so I went to our pantry to see if we had any soup... the only can left was corn chicken with bacon flavoring. Terrible, terrible soup, but I forced myself to eat it since there wasn't another option. As it stands, 3 games out of the 8th seed... the potential for the final regular season game (at Staples) against Houston to be for the right to be the 8th seed brings out all sorts of potential feelings & thoughts. :p

[​IMG]

"Wait, the Lakers missing the playoffs? WTF?"

16. DT421

DT421 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2003
    Grizzlies going for 8 in a row against the Mavs tonight.

17. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
  18. DT421

Nov 6, 2003
    Nice comeback by the Grizzlies last night. The Grizzlies were trailing Dallas 51-26 with 5:25 to go in the second quarter, then went on a 36-4 run spanning intermission, including a 20-0 rally to open the third quarter. I'm sure Cuban loved that game.

DarthTunick likes this.
  19. The Great No One

Jun 4, 2005
    wow. 20-0 run sounds like playing a video game.

20. DT421

Nov 6, 2003
    Yeah, I almost turned the game off in the second quarter. That's 8 in row for the Grizzlies, but that's being overshadowed by the Heat right now. The Grizzlies play the Heat Friday night. Should be a good one.

21. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    That has been headline news in Philly for the past few days. What a completely reasonable meltdown. Doug is absolutely justified in that. I love how you can hear the 76ers' press manager attempt to wrap it up 4 or 5 times and Doug just keeps ignoring him and taking more questions. Building this entire team around a center who has never played has driven the poor guy mad.

DarthTunick likes this.
  22. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
  23. epic

epic Ex Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 1999
    Noah 23pts 21rbs 11blks 3 stls

Hell of a stat line

24. The Great No One

Jun 4, 2005
    damn... a triple double without using assists. that's freaking rare.

25. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    pretty rare yeah, i think ibaka had one last year. hakeem had a quadruple double once.

i watched that game last night, and also impressive was that noah only attempted 12 shots. he should have had a bunch of assists too, but his teammates kept missing open looks.