main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit A/V Clone Wars Continuity Discussion (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by sabarte, May 12, 2008.

1. The_Forgotten_Jedi

The_Forgotten_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 12, 2010
    It's the internet: anyone and everything that can be shipped, will be shipped.

As for the spoilers: :mad:

2. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    I demand a Yoda/Mace ship. Anyone who can provide me with such a fic will forever be in Waru's favor.

3. GunganSlayer

GunganSlayer Jedi Master star 4

Jan 24, 2013
    Heh, I know they're spoilers, but, let's be honest, most of us already know how this (unfortunately) plays out.

4. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    I am, sort of. Not so much pushing the pairing (like Jeff/Annie on Community) but more of a sure, why not, I can see it.
    As for the potential spoilers, it is not hard to change from straight shipping to Foe Yay

5. GGrievous

GGrievous Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2005
    Only great thing about an eventual TCW Barriss death: No more Ahsoka/Barriss nonsense. [face_sick]

6. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Who says she'll die?

For all we know, she'll eventually escape, and the Clones finally catch up to her to kill her around the time of Order 66...

;)

7. GGrievous

Nov 6, 2005
    Oh, I'm sure TCW would axe her...

She'll probably die within Ahsoka's arms.

8. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    Don't worry, Ahsoka/Chuchi and Ahsoka/Padme are also still possible :p

9. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    No. It's considered a dark side power because it requires use of the dark side to create it in the first place. Its application is ultimately irrelevant, and in theory it cannot be used with impunity without danger of corruption. The question of "what is dark" has often been replaced by the question of "what is bad" as if these are equivalent concepts, but this tends to ignore the duality in the Force itself in favor of a focus on good and bad behavior. There is a necessary dark component in the Force itself, as we know from Overlords. Admonitions against the dark side as seen in the OT lose some of their original meaning if they are reduced to "don't be bad".

10. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    Plo Koon remains an issue, I think. Assuming he wasn't lying in his report to the Jedi Council, he generated lightning without the use of fear, anger, hate or any of the other emotions that are required for one to touch the dark side, and in fact argued that it was the Force's will that he taze the terrorist bro.

I'm still fairly convinced that there should be a distinction drawn between generating mere electricity -- like Koon describes -- and generating the life-leeching, soul-sapping kind of horror employed by Palpatine and his ilk (see: Trip 's thread on Force lightning, oh, wait...). I see no reason why the former should not be classed in the came category as telekinesis, with whether it's deemed "dark" or "light" depending on its application. Are you using it destructively? Dark. Creatively, or in such a way to preserve life? Not dark.

Zorrixor and instantdeath like this.
  11. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    One more for the prison!

12. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    It's also quite similar to another much loved (by their creator) character: Ferus Olin.

So basically she sit 5 seasons out and never have a fate?

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  13. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    See, I have a problem with the idea that the dark side is something tangible, like Tales of the Jedi sometimes like to portray it. When a Sith fries someone with lightning, they aren't "using the dark side". They're using the Force. They're using the Force in a twisted, malicious manner. They're using it to cause pain. Where the Jedi draw from it, the Sith seek to control it. That, I believe, is what makes the dark side what it is. It's not a pool of power, completely separate from the light side. The Jedi and the Sith draw from the same well of power. It's all the Force: the way that it's used makes all the difference, and because the Force is more powerful than any living thing, it can easily corrupt if misused.

14. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    "That place... is strong with the dark side of the Force. A domain of evil it is."

15. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
    "What's inside?"
    "Only what you take with you"

Oh, impasse again. :p

16. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    People always seek to label what they don't fully understand. I'd argue that religions entire existence is reflective of the human desire to explain what can't be explained. I'm not saying the dark side doesn't exist, I'm merely saying that I've never bought the idea that it's an entirely separate entity from the light. "Light and "dark" are just names, after all. Just labels. The Force is beyond human (or alien) conception. The concept of "good and evil" itself exists only to categorize. There's no such thing as an inherently "good act" or an "evil act". It's merely what we call them, even if the exact definition of a "good act" and "evil act" can change from situation from situation.

In the Force's case, I don't believe it's split directly down the middle, with Jedi drawing from the light and Sith drawing from the dark. I believe they're all just using the Force, and it's conveyed in different ways through the individuals that use it. In the cave's case, it had been inhabited by a dark side user. That person had left their personal corrupt influence behind. It's not like the dark side is intended be something alive, something that can snatch you out of your bed if you aren't careful. The individual has to give into it. The individual has to use it.

Said it better than I did :p

17. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
    I think, essentially, it boils down to the distinction between primary and secondary qualities.

(Note: it's not a great article, but it gets the gist across well enough)

18. Barriss_Coffee

Jun 29, 2003
    This conversation is reminding be of Traitor. And for that I approve.

EDIT: And to add, tangentially, @instantdeath's opinion of the Force and people's actions was what I always originally thought Lucas had intended, up until TPM and the midichlorians. As soon as they were introduced, you had somethig of a third party involved in the decision-making process. If the Force was something that imbued living and nonliving alike (Yoda did mention rocks, after all, in ESB), there's no reason to believe that one's consciousness is separate from the Force. But as soon as midichlorians enter the picture, the Force now has boundaries.

19. Random Comments

Random Comments Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 25, 2012
    Midichlorians just allow you to use and speak to the force, they aren't the force.
    A rock is part of the force, but can't make people be shoved against the wall or blasted by lightning...that requires sentience and Midichlorians.

20. my kind of scum

my kind of scum Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2002
    The Insider is indeed out there. I received mine yesterday. I'm not sure how to do spoiler tags, so beware: SPOILERS AHEAD.

There is one picture of Barriss with a red saber, an image of Palpatine seeing a transmission of Barriss, and an image of Ahsoka walking away from the council with her head down. Barriss' fate is not mentioned, just her motives "She thinks they have lost their way and that the only thing the council reacts to or believes in anymore is violence. And she's right, everything she says is true, but her reaction to the situation is wrong and it's devastating to Ahsoka. That is the main motivator at the end of this season for why Ahsoka does not come back to the Jedi Order. It's a combination of her faith being shaken and the way the jedi council operates, because she can't deny what Barriss says is true." Filoni later says that the end of Ahsoka's character arc is planned out but that this is not it - we will see more of her. No mention of Ventress in the article.

END SPOILERS

21. Random Comments

Random Comments Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 25, 2012
    my kind of scum

[ spoiler ] your text here [ /spoiler ]

Without spaces.

I can also confirm the above, received my copy yesterday.

my kind of scum likes this.
  22. Sable_Hart

Sable_Hart Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 28, 2009
    Does Filoni discuss anything about the previous arc and the Maul stuffz?

23. my kind of scum

my kind of scum Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2002
    Thanks. Fixed it now.

24. GGrievous

Nov 6, 2005
    [​IMG]

CT-867-5309 and fett 4 like this.
  25. Barriss_Coffee

Jun 29, 2003
    Oh for the love of crumbcake....

(thanks for the spoilers, my kind of scum!)