main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena "The Beautiful Game" - The Official JCC Football (Soccer) Thread.

Discussion in 'Community' started by FORCE_SKIN, Feb 7, 2004.

1. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    Ba's goals largely dried up last season once Cisse came along and he went out wide. When he played alongside Cisse up front this season his goals started coming back.

He can play up front with Torres too I'm sure, but Chelsea seem to prefer the one-stirker system.

2. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Good point- you're right. I think we'll have to wait and see what the new regime brings in, I'm assuming there are going to be many personnel changes, and Torres may not even be in the discussion.

I know City has some of the largest defenders around, but Chelsea needs some size at the front, too. Cahill was the only real target on corners today. Hazard, Mata, Ramires, all great players, but noticably undersized- a larger striker like a Dzeko or an Adebayor (not necessarily them, just someone of the mold) would be nice. Ba is the largest target at attacker, maybe he'll work out.

3. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    Chelsea won't get rid of Torres unless Abramovich says so, he was Roman's big pet buy and to lose him so soon would make him feel he made a big £50million mistake (which he did) and he can't be made to look bad (which he does anyway).

4. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    I saw quite a bit of Ba in Germany, Stuttgart almost signed him as a replacement for Gomez. Aside from serious questions about his health (knees, iirc) he's never really struck me as a particularly consistent perfomer.

5. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    He's been pretty consistent the last couple of seasons for Newcastle (apart from when he moved out wide when Cisse turned up as I mentioned). Harder to perform so well at a higher level with a bigger team like Chelsea, especially if you don't start every game

6. epic

epic Ex Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 1999
    so, Bale eh.

shame he isn't English.

7. epic

Jul 4, 1999
    £55m for Ronaldo. £50m for Bale.

WE RULE THE WOOOOORLD

8. epic

Jul 4, 1999
    If he doesn't come to United (which I doubt, obviously), I hope he stays at Tottenham. It'd be a shame if he went overseas, particularly Spain.

yankee8255 likes this.
  9. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    He should stay with Spurs. Chance to play at the highest level. Chance to be the man. Young enough that this wouldn't be his last chance to move, should he want to in the future.

Darth McClain and yankee8255 like this.
  10. yankee8255

May 31, 2005
    I'd definitely think twice about moving to Madrid, unless he thinks it would be pleasant to chew the fat on the bench with Modric.

And lol@Barca. Not the best 7 days for them, eh?

11. Darth_Omega

Darth_Omega Force Ghost star 6

May 19, 2002
    Indeed, although they have a rematch on Saturday. :p

As for Bale, if an English top club doesn't want him how about a German top club. I think Bale could easily replace Robben or Ribery at Bayern.

12. yankee8255

May 31, 2005
    Robben has already been supplanted by Müller on the right, and Ribery has been tremendous, was voted best player of the first half of the season. He and Alaba combine very well on the left. Of course, Pep may decide to make a change, but Bayern have been incredibly loyal to Franck. And Bayern's pretty much the only German side I can see splashing that kind of money.

What about Barca? They could certainly use more width, though they really need to start shoring up their defense. Did anyone see the highlights from last night? love DiMaria totally embarrassing Puyol on the second goal.

Back to Germany, easily the biggest domestic match of the year tonight, Bayern-Dortmund in Munich in the QFs of the German Cup. Bayern have been incredibly dominant in the league this year, but one still gets the impression that Dortmund have their number. Given Bayern's insurmountable lead in the league (17 points), this is Dormtund's best chance of collecting silverware this year.

13. yankee8255

May 31, 2005
    Likely starting lineups for tonight's match:

[​IMG]

How big is this match? Stuttgart plays tonight as well and I am not even remotely interested.

14. epic

Jul 4, 1999
    two great starting line ups. they look like they start with the same kind of formation and type of player (lone striker, clever playmakers behind, supported by two stronger midfielders -- kind of what Chelsea are trying to emulate i guess) - is their play similar in fashion to eachother?

15. yankee8255

May 31, 2005
    Definitely similar. Dortmund are a bit more aggressive in pressing and quicker on the counter-attack, not as obsessed with possession as Bayern. I think one of the reasons Bayern picked up Mandzukic was to have someone who could emulate Lewandowski's skills holding up the ball up front. Both are very strong in the holding positions, Gündogan has been world class all season (Dortmund have yet to win a match he's missed), while Martinez is starting to show why Bayern paid € 40 mil., great job reading plays and intercepting opponents' diagonal passes.

16. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    If United are going to put effort in the summer into getting a good defensive midfielder and Vidal proves too expensive then Gündogan would be a good choice.

17. yankee8255

May 31, 2005
    Lineups weren't quite right, Hummels is out due to injury, plus Grosskreuz instead of Kuba.

Rather intensely fought in midfield so far, both sides trying to get forward quickly but without success so far.

18. yankee8255

May 31, 2005
    Dortmund ended up playing more of a 4-3-3, which Klopp has been doing quite a bit of late. Regradless, Bayern won deservedly, absolutely dominated a big chunk of the first half, should have led by more. Dortmund rallied a bit in the second half, but alot of that had to do with Bayern falling back. Game was decided by the play of the "6"s, Schweini and Martinez were tremendous, the Dortmund threesome (Gündogan, Grosskreutz and Bender) not able to impose their will on the match. Reuss may have had the worst match I've ever seen him play.

19. George Roper

George Roper Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 31, 2012
    Good news! Rafa has confirmed that he will be going after this season. Apparently, he confirmed it in some sort of rant. That I will listen to with absolute glee at some point.

heels1785 likes this.
  20. yankee8255

May 31, 2005
    I had assumed you had it playing on an endless loop.

George Roper likes this.
  21. epic

Jul 4, 1999
    Rafa? They're just not interim.

DarthIntegral likes this.
  22. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    Wasn't this always the case?

He was never likely to do well given Chelsea were slipping up even before he came in. Plus he has next to no authority which doesn't give the team any confidence or interest in playing for someone who used to play for a major rival and was rude about them plus he isn't sticking around.
    But, ditching him before the end of the season would be a bad move IMO, it would further dirupt the team when they are trying to maintain their hold on the top 4 and have to play United soon in the FA Cup.

Frankly it would have been better to keep Di Matteo in for the whole season, he had the trust and confidence of the players and they seemed to want to put effort in for him.

heels1785 likes this.
  23. George Roper

George Roper Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 31, 2012
    More good news! Grant may replace Rafa after this weekend but much more importantly, The Special One is being lined up for a return to Chelsea this summer!

24. yankee8255

May 31, 2005
    Honestly, he'd be a fool to go back. The club is a mess and will take some time to fix. Not sure TSO has the patience for that, or, more importantly, believes that Roman has the patience for it.

SithLordDarthRichie likes this.
  25. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    Indeed, Mourinho left because he hated being undermined by Abramovich. There seems to be little evidence to suggest that Mourinho will have greater control than before or be allowed time to rebuild the team the right way, none of the other managers were afforded that opportunity.

But then, if Jose wants to come back to England which other team is he going to manage? I can't see him being that keen on Man City and Ferguson is still managing United.