main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Unscheduled Pizza Run (Outage)

Discussion in 'Communications' started by LAJ_FETT , Feb 28, 2013.

1. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Looks like MySQL took a hike overnight. Unfortunately I'd already gone offline for the evening here in the UK and Grimby was offline for a meeting. By the time he found out and emailed Grahame (our server person) he was also offline for the day. But we're back now...

2. Adalia-Durron

Adalia-Durron WNU/Costume/Props/EUC Mod. star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jun 3, 2003
    How dare you guys have a life outside this place!?!? LOL! It's all good, I do know some had withdrawal symptoms, but I know I survived!!

Lazy Storm Trooper likes this.
  3. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Gotta sleep sometime..:p

4. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    I thought a Star Trek Fan sent over a Botnet. :cool:

5. Bazinga'd

Nov 1, 2012
    On a serious note, how much memory do you have allocated to SQL. With the increase in traffic on this site, is it going to a problem.

6. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    Grahame has already said he doesn't think it was a memory issue. We had some of those in the past but we made some changes and that seemed to have sorted it out. Right now he doesn't know what's causing this.

7. Bazinga'd

Nov 1, 2012
    I hate SQL-I think it was designed by the Sith and the Empire....oh wait it was ......Microsoft. ;)

Cleaning out the cache may help it temporarily, but the long term fix is additional memory. (Just a thought......dont mean to interfere).

8. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    Right now it's a bit of a mystery - MySQL just stops. You haven't seen much of the outages because either Grimby or I have been around when it happened so we could email Grahame. Yesterday was just unlucky that we were both offline. I'm in the UK so I tend to be on early in the board day. Grimby and Grahame are in the US so they are around later. Grahame has updated the software to the latest releases. It could be something as simple as one of the plugins throwing a hissy fit. Problem is that our server error log doesn't show anything before/after it happens.

9. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    Grand Admiral Boodle had his cruisers create a perimeter while his fighters flew into the infrastructure and attempted to knock out the system...........

10. Bazinga'd

Nov 1, 2012
    Are you rebooting the server every time it goes down?

11. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Would it help if I got out and pushed?

jcgoble3, eht13, ophelia and 11 others like this.
  12. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    Not sure what Grahame is doing - whether he's rebooting the server or just restarting MySQL.

13. Bazinga'd

Nov 1, 2012
    BTW- Sorry for the technical questions....Always trying to learn

14. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    That's no problem - glad to help.

Bazinga'd likes this.
  15. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    The prior Pizza Party was a longsuffering travesty, but last night was simply outrageous. I tried 3 times to get on and update an info page in WNU and, instead, I had time to accomplish stuff in service of DarthRL and spend time with my wife. Completely reprehensible. You'll read my detailed indignation in the First World Problems thread!!!

16. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    Hope your wife doesn't see that post - you'll be posting from the doghouse if she does.. :p

Juliet316 likes this.
  17. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    Yeah that Pizza Run was completely unacceptable. I ended up finishing all of my homework and hung out with friends! This better not happen again.

18. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    I was going to suggest starting a pool in Community for the time of the next outage.. :p

DarthBreezy likes this.
  19. Jedi_Liz

Jedi_Liz Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 24, 2000
    is this what the unexpected database error I got last night was? I couldn't even get on using Tapatalk

20. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    Make it a hot tub party and you got yourself a deal!

DarthBreezy likes this.
  21. Eryndil

Eryndil Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 18, 2012
    Outage? I thought it was the forum telling me it was time to go to bed...

22. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    And it happened again!

Random Comments likes this.
  23. Grahame

Grahame Former Server Admin star 2 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 3, 2012
    Indeed. I'm working on it, sorry folks.

Adalia-Durron likes this.
  24. Katya Jade

Katya Jade Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 19, 2002
    It's time to go outside, my nerdlings! Smell the fresh air, take a walk, talk to a person!

25. thesevegetables

thesevegetables Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 11, 2012
    WHAT IS A PERSON? I KNOW NOT WHAT YOU SPEAK OF.