main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Anyone NOT want the BIG3 in ST?

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by clone3131, Feb 27, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. clone3131

clone3131 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2004
    ***Lets try NOT to turn this into a bashing thread***

But, is anyone afraid of having the Big 3 back on screen in the ST?

I would understand the concern.....

To me, growing up in the 80s with Star Wars, Han Solo and Luke were iconic. Leia was the definition of gorgeous. The OT is the most celebrated trilogy of movies in the history of film.

I can see the argument of leaving those memories untarnished. Locked in a vault. Especially after the disappointment most people feel with the PT and Indy 4.

I mean, does anyone want to see Han survive a Death Star 3 explosion inside a fridge? Or Luke swing through Dagobah with a bunch of CGI monkeys?

I mean, Carrie isnt the same. She is older, um, bigger, and now hospitalized for bipolar (might make her performance off).

Harrison is in his 70s. Indy 4 wasnt the same as Indy 1-3. And Han wont be the same in "Star Wars 4". Even though Han probably wont have to do as much stunt work as Indy. Han can sit in the Falcon and "out run" everyone.

Mark is probably the safest bet. But, that is just because his character would be more OB1-ish and less hero-ish and he can hide in big robes.

I dont want to bash the Big 3 here. But, I am a bit concerned we expect 80s Mark/Carrie/Harrison instead of expecting 2010s Mark/Carrie/Harrison...and that can only lead to disappointment.

-C

Darthbane2007 likes this.
  2. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Argh, no offense but this whole discussion is getting quite tedious. We've had probably a dozen or so threads about this topic and pretty much every thread that involves the big 3 in some way usually devolves into this same discussion. People age and to expect our heroes to remain in some kind of ageless bubble is unrealistic. They aren't 20 or 30 anymore and there is NOTHING WRONG WITH THAT!

(P.S. Again no offense but this whole argument is getting sooooo annoying.)

3. clone3131

Feb 11, 2004
    While i havent paid too much attention to the "Whats the hold up with the Big 3" and other Big 3 threads, I havent seen any discussing the realm of them NOT being in the ST. And any fears people may have of them coming back.

But, like I said, I havent been reading all the Big 3 threads.

If this thread dies, it dies....

[​IMG]

4. Fleab88

Fleab88 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 12, 2012
    I'm pretty sure there is already a thread on this with a poll and everything. Might need to search for it. If I find it I will try and edit the post. That being said, this conversation is pretty much the bones of a dead horse still getting beaten. Not sure what else there is left to say on the issue. *Waits for the inevitable comment that mentions the words "overweight" "old" or "Drugs"*

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  5. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    Meh, I don't think we fans have to bash the big three to be in favor of a new cast. Personally, I just think it would be more interesting if Star Wars went the "Next Generation" route and introduced an all-new cast, in a new timeline and setting, but with a familiar feel to the story. That's a totally separate issue from certain actors being older, chubbier, or druggier than they used to be. :p

DARTH_BELO and Darth Claire like this.
  6. Darth Claire

Darth Claire Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2012
    *Le sigh* My basic views on the OT cast returning is this:
    1. Have them be supporting-cameo roles
    2. Dont force them to return if they dont want to *or are not needed to complete the story*. So if Carrie feels that she can't return, I better not see anybody bashing her *or even Disney, or JJ* for not being able to get her to return. Its not their fault she's not returning
    3. Focus on the New Cast. Don't just throw in random, unnecessary OT action/focus scenes just for fan service. Actually have it serve the plot or not do it at all

7. Blur

Blur Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 1999
    I'm a child of the OOT, and have 0 interest in seeing the Big Three (or any of the other OT Rebel characters, i.e. Lando, Wedge, etc.) in the ST. Note that this has nothing to do with their age, and everything to do with the fact that, IMHO, the story of these characters (at least in films) ended in ROTJ. Seeing them in additional films would ruin the feeling I have when watching the perfect ending of ROTJ with Luke burning the body of DV; Luke seeing the three spirits (that noone else could see); and, finally seeing all of the characters together right before the credits. Fantastic & very moving; though I didn't like the replacement of the S. Shaw ghost w/Anakin, it's still an amazing ending.

Note that I would feel the same way if the ST had been released in the late '80's or '90's. I know some fans wanted to see a ST instead of the PT back in the day, but I was one who really preferred to see the beginnings of DV & the Empire, etc. rather than a sequel to ROTJ.

That all being said, C3-PO & R2-D2 should (and probably will) return in the ST. IIRC, I read an article years ago in which Lucas mentioned that the droids would be in all 9 films. Even if Anthony D. doesn't want to return to the suit, he could always just provide the voice...

8. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    Regardless of any redundancy....

I've said it before and I'll say it again-I am perfectly happy if they don't show up: meaning that I would also be excited if it were a completely fresh new story with fresh new characters and not having Han, Luke or Leia in the story In any capacity as part of it.

But, given the choice I would prefer to have them in there.

TreborSabreon likes this.
  9. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    This.

I also agree that I would prefer them to be a supporting character capacity...the way they portrayed Amb. Spock using Leonard Nimoy in the 2009 JJ Abrams Star Trek movie was perfect in my opinion: not too much, not too little. It was just great to see him as Spock one more time! (And I would not be at all surprised if that's how it ends up being four episode VII as well!)

10. Darth Claire

Darth Claire Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2012
    I'm just hoping that IF one of the OT doens't return, people here don't start freaking out and going "the sky is falling" and start making crazy assumptions on why they're not returning like "Disney made them not do it!" "The script must be terrible!" "They're making it all about the new cast and not caring about the old cast!" ect ect ect. Hopefully that doesn't happen.

11. Axle-Starweilder

Axle-Starweilder Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jan 6, 2005
    i'd like to see luke as a force ghost

12. Brandon Rhea

Brandon Rhea Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 26, 2004
    I’d like to see the Big 3 again but I totally understand the concern about them being in it. I agree that it’s unrealistic to expect people to remain in an ageless bubble, but doing it wrong can also shatter good feelings that people have about those characters and the original performances. However, given the talent of the big 3 as well as the talent behind the scenes, I think it’ll be fine if they’re utilized right.

If I was making this trilogy, the younger characters would be in the primary roles, but the big 3 would still have important secondary roles. Han Solo would be killed in the first act of Episode VII and his death would serve as the catalyst for the rest of the story. Luke and Leia would have a storyline where they have to grapple with their relevancy. They’ve become older, and the world they live in is no longer empires against rebellions. It’s different political factions against one another within the New Republic. What do two former rebels do to fit into that kind of world? That allows them to be in more passive roles as a recognition of their ages, but still lets them be very important.

I have a lot more to expand upon that idea but I get the feeling this isn't the correct thread for it, so I'll leave it at that. :)

13. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    and I'd like to see Leia (or Cade Skywalker) addicted to death sticks but it aint likely going to happen either. :p;)

[​IMG]

14. Axle-Starweilder

Jan 6, 2005
    leia is addicted to death sticks

Ryus likes this.
  15. Bobatron

Bobatron Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    Did anyone ever refer to Luke, Leia, and Han as "the Big 3" before all this?

16. Brandon Rhea

Brandon Rhea Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 26, 2004
    Probably not, but there was never much reason to. With so much discussion lately about Luke, Leia, and Han, just saying "the Big 3" is easier to write.

17. Axle-Starweilder

Jan 6, 2005
    not that i know of

18. krtmd

krtmd Jedi Master star 4

Sep 5, 2012
    They've been referred to as the Big 3 in the EU fandom for a long time.

TreborSabreon likes this.
  19. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    This.

I've been calling them the "Big 3" for as long as I can remember. The term certainly isn't new.

Hitchhiking-Ghost likes this.
  20. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012
    Who in their right mind would not want to see the big 3 in EP7 !!! :

They are the perfect age to reprise their roles as mentor's they will not carry the film & will have smaller roles .....they will bridge the gap from the OT to the new trilogy.....I mean how the hell could you watch EP6 then watch EP7 without the big 3 , it would be plainly rediculous......

21. Fleab88

Fleab88 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 12, 2012
    Well that didn't take long. *rolls eyes*

22. darthtuttle

darthtuttle Jedi Master star 4

Apr 2, 2004
    Luke is clearly the most essential, followed by leia.

23. Darthbane2007

Darthbane2007 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 31, 2007
    QFT. However, I wouldn't mind if they had minor roles or even cameo appearences. But it's getting out of hand when about 95% of the threads in the Sequel Trilogy has to do with " Will Luke/Leia/Han/Lando/Wedge/C3P0/R2-D2 be in and what role they'll play?". Not saying to ignore the older characters, but I want to see who will be the new guys this go around. Focus on that first.

Darth Claire likes this.
  24. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002
    The reason we're so focused on the 'Big Three' (or the Magnificent Seven if we include Chewie, the Droids and Lando) is because they are a known quality. We have no clue about anything or anyone else as far as characters go - we don't know who, if anyone, that 'got busy' and made little Skywalker/Solos/wookiees etc... it's just a little scrap on the bone until we hear anything.

TreborSabreon and Darthbane2007 like this.
  25. clone3131

Feb 11, 2004

Do you really think Mark and Carrie are "known quality" these days? Carrie hasnt been in a major picture since "The Burbs" that I know of. And Mark has been doing voice work for so long for a reason.

I think this is the attitude I mentioned in the OP - that we want 80s Big 3, but forget it is 30 years later....

-C

Darthbane2007 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.