main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Leia and Han in "THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK"

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by DRush76, Dec 29, 2012.

1. sg1A

sg1A Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 20, 2013
    Im just going to be the one that's an A**. LOVE don't even try to understand it!.:D

2. sg1A

Feb 20, 2013
    =D=

3. EvilQ

EvilQ Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 8, 2013
    Han and Leia are the personification of the saying "Opposites attract."
    Hormones + emotional codependency + myth. There. Understood.

sg1A likes this.
  4. sg1A

Feb 20, 2013
    Those two just have great chemistry they were meant for one-another.
    Scoundrel +Princess= Love

J_Girl likes this.
  5. J_Girl

J_Girl Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 18, 2001
    Now that sounds about right.

6. DRush76

DRush76 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 25, 2008
    That's it? Their love story jumps from mild flirtation on Han's part in one movie to them exchanging soulful glances in the next without any explanation? Are there any novels that filled in the story, set between ANH and ESB?

It was his feelings for Luke (friendship) that led Han to return for that final scene. Leia played no part in that.

7. Julius Vernon

Julius Vernon Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 7, 2012
    That's how he described it, but any hot blooded male knows the good looking princess with lots of money would factor into that equation.

J_Girl likes this.
  8. KilroyMcFadden

KilroyMcFadden Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 31, 2012
    Three years pass between IV and V ( http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Timeline_of_galactic_history ) If you are playing the "didn't happen unless it happened in the movies" game then it's totally plausible that we viewers are meant to make the leap and understand that they developed a growing attraction to each other over the course of all those years together and that there was nothing instant about it. If you add to that the reference to shared adventures with each other, it's almost surprising that ESB didn't open with them sharing sleeping quarters together.

Julius Vernon likes this.
  9. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    I'm going to re-post what I said from another thread where you asked the same question:

Does it really matter when? It's one of those things that happen over time and sometimes even the people involved don't even see it happening. You can clearly see this in the way Leia continues to deny what she feels for Han. She fell for him and she doesn't know when or how, only that it happened and by the beginning of ESB, she's afraid to admit those feelings to herself, much less to Han. These feelings culminate throughout the whole film until it comes to its climax with the, "I love you," "I know," exchange in the carbon freezing chamber.

Things just clicked and the rest is history. That's all the explanation we really need to understand what's going on.

10. Garrett Atkins

Garrett Atkins Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 11, 2013
    The romance was much more realistic than the Anakin and Padme relationship.

11. Leias_Left_Bun

Leias_Left_Bun Jedi Master star 4

Feb 18, 2013
    Yes, what happened with Han and Leia between SW and ESB is a bit vague, and yes it is a dramatic cheat as far as their romance is concerned. But it almost had to be this way, for two reasons:

1. The SW movies are primarily action flicks that eschew any deep relationship stuff, which was never Lucas' forte anyway. In Lucas' early drafts of ESB, the dialogue for Han and Leia was cringe-worthy and I think most fans would agree that his writing for the Anakin/Padme romance wasn't exactly first-rate stuff, either.

2. In the OT, both Leia and Han are supporting characters. Ultimately, it's Luke's story.

As far as the "classic" romance is concerned, the idea of lovers that start out fighting and acting like they hate each other is an age-old movie template. But in the end it comes down to whether or not you see chemistry between the characters. To me, Han and Leia had incredible chemistry together.

12. Leias_Left_Bun

Feb 18, 2013
    It was on YouTube but LFL had it taken down. I think you have to rent or borrow the blu-ray set if you want to see it.

13. Leias_Left_Bun

Feb 18, 2013
    Ah, somebody else who remembers the old days of the O-OT. Back in 1977 right up until the premier of Empire, everybody I knew thought that Luke and Leia were THE romantic couple of the story, destined to end up together. And that was the main slant of the comic books and Splinter of the Mind's Eye.

It was a huge surprise when she got involved with Han. But to me and my best friend, it was a very pleasant surprise. I wasn't expecting the Han/Leia romance at all, but when it did happen I really enjoyed it.

Shortly before ESB premiered it was adapted to the comic book series, which I believe was the first leak of the actual ESB plot. I can still remember a letter to the editor from an outraged fan, who started out by saying he had just read the ESB comic book adaptation and he was very upset with Leia. He railed at Leia for forgetting everything that Luke had done for her and choosing "Hot-Lips Han" instead. [face_tee_hee]

14. J_Girl

Feb 18, 2001
    "Hot -Lips Han"? [face_rofl] [face_rofl]

I remember having a 10 cent bet with my friend about this. She swore Luke would end up with Leia. I knew it would be Han. I sort of got the idea that all the girls just adored Luke in ANH and wanted to marry him. So, wishful thinking along those lines meant Leia would choose Luke. He's the sweet blonde boy fighting for the princess and obviously smitten with her from the start. Yet, what I saw was her hugging Han in the trash compactor, using the word 'love' in conversation with him, and throwing herself into his arms after the battle even sorta elbowing Luke out of the way as she did so. My money was on the bad boy!

I did get hold of the ESB novelization about 1 week before it came out and decided that was written 'proof' that my friend should pay up. She insisted on waiting for the movie. She was really disappointed. That girl still owes me me a dime! Maybe I should put a bounty out on her.

"Hot-Lips Han" [face_rofl][face_rofl][face_rofl] Love it!

15. DRush76

Jan 25, 2008

"It almost had to be this way"? This is your explanation? Hmmm. Not buying it. I'll just chalk it up to a dramatic cheat and sloppy writing. Hey. This happens to even some of the best movies.

16. KilroyMcFadden

Oct 31, 2012
    I agree with you, the Empire Strike Back is one of the best movies! :D

17. J_Girl

Feb 18, 2001
    You have heard some of our thoughts, I'm interested in hearing what you think brought on the 'exchange of looks' and when Han and Leia started harboring serious feeling for each other?

18. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    How is that considered sloppy writing? What's so hard to understand that these two people have spent a lot of time together during the three years between ANH and ESB and it's only natural for something like this to happen? There's also plenty of other clues thrown in, which I highlighted above. I mean, really? What do you want us to do? Break it down into some complex psychological study to explain the nuances of love?

Hitchhiking-Ghost and Yanksfan like this.
  19. KilroyMcFadden

Oct 31, 2012
    Do not discuss the user -Darth Boba

CT-867-5309 likes this.
  20. DRush76

Jan 25, 2008

One, I never mentioned the PT. But I guess that didn't matter. All you had to do was make an assumption. People are very good at that. And all I wanted to know is how Han and Leia's relationship evolved so drastically without any narrative - either from the movies or the novels. Apparently, no one can answer this question. Gee, I wonder why. And two, I'm a SHE.

Really? I call it sloppy writing . . . especially if its about the romance betwen the two major supporting characters who are closest to the main protagonist.

21. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    Let's watch the personal sniping.

22. KilroyMcFadden

Oct 31, 2012
    First warning. Don't make it personal. -Darth Boba

23. Leias_Left_Bun

Feb 18, 2013
    Yeah, "Hot-Lips Han" had me ROTF too, which is why it has stuck in my mind after all these years.

Well you had better foresight about the romantic triangle than most of us. Back in 1977, everybody I knew expected Leia to end up with Luke. But my girlfriends and I were all pleasantly surprised to see her hook up with Han. The only person I knew who was disappointed was my brother -- he identified with Luke and wanted Luke to "get the girl."

24. Leias_Left_Bun

Feb 18, 2013
    I'm just being realistic. The SW films are mainly action flicks. Lucas doesn't write romantic relationships well. Han and Leia are supporting characters. All that adds up to no major onscreen development for the Han/Leia romance.

Is it imperfect storytelling? Sure. The SW films are loaded with examples of flawed storytelling.