main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation Will (Insert Character Name Here) Be in Episode VII?

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Jordan1Kenobi , Oct 31, 2012.

1. ShabbaTheHutt

ShabbaTheHutt Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 8, 2013
    Well in that case we should have seen Anakin slaughtering younglings on-screen because those deaths and their part in Anakin's fall to the dark side are a far more important part of the saga as a whole than losing Chewbacca.

Don't you think Chewie not being in the film would be enough to help an audience familiar with him to empathise with Han losing his best friend?
    And wouldn't his initial presence followed by an on-screen death not work as well for a younger audience that don't have the same affinity with the character?

Yes they are, and without a good enough story telling reason other than the fact you obviously want the EU over-written without being 100% certain what with, you just want it gone, then you are seeking to please "some fragment of the fanbase", namely yourself, whereas what I am suggesting is an approach that respects the tastes of all sides of fandom and doesn't seek to agitate one "fragment" on behalf of another :)

More like 40 years and, erm ...... good luck with that :p

2. CarthOnasi

CarthOnasi Jedi Youngling

May 12, 2008
    If Chewie will be in Ep.7, it means they will publish new Books/Comics/Toys/Video Games contradicts with EU. So basically they will say;

"Hey! Forget what you read,they were not real, we TOOK your money and we FOOLED you! But, hey look, there are new Books/Comics/Toys/Video Games, all are Canon now! Don't worry, we won't change Continuity again. Please believe us and buy new Books/Comics/Toys/Video Games."

Yeah, yeah, i will buy Books/Comics/Toys/Video Games for sure. Bring Chewie from Dead, no problem!

3. STARBOB

STARBOB Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 11, 2002
    Isn't that what they did when they filmed the PT? The return of the jedi novel had Vader & Palpatine with no clue who yoda was.

4. ShabbaTheHutt

Jan 8, 2013
    I'll be happy either way to be honest.

If his deceased status remains, along with that of Mara, Anakin and Jacen then the new trilogy becomes an extension of the existing saga.

If not, I am relieved of the burden of incorporating these new stories into what I know and can draw a line between pre- and post-Disney Star Wars and go about my business.

One thing I won't do is stick around to complain about it, I'll just write the new films off as "the alternate universe" and pay them no mind.

5. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    We were shown in the hologramm. GL didn't show it more closely because of rating reasons. Those are important too, I never said they weren't.
    Anyway, there were many other scenes were it was made abundantly clear that Anakin had gone over the edge (like the choking scene). Therefore the youngling slaughter was somewhat redundant.

I think an off-screen death wouldn't have the same emotional and dramatic impact as would have an on-screen death. The reason for this is show, don't tell.
    If you are interested: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ShowDontTell

Hm, I'm not sure what you are saying here.

What is a good enough storytelling reason in your eyes? Isn't any storytelling reason already "good enough"?

I don't think it is even possible to respect the tastes of all sides of fandom. Disney needs to think about the general audience too, all kinds of different target groups, etc.

Btw. I am willing to compromise. Put Jade in? Okay, as long as she is well written, even if I don't like her.

Maybe 30, maybe 40. We don't know yet.

6. ShabbaTheHutt

Jan 8, 2013
    So you envision Hamill, Fisher and Ford at 63, 59 and 72 (their approximate ages by the time of VII's filming) respectively playing their characters aged 48, 48 and 59?

7. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002

Oh, nice catch! =D=

Been an age since I read ROTJ, but you're right...

Oh dear, now the whole 6 (soon to be 9) saga arc is positively ruined!!!! ;)

8. STARBOB

STARBOB Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 11, 2002
    Sorry to ruin the saga for you.:p

9. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    Considering how old Guinness and Shaw were, no, not at all, especially considering the benefits Make-up and CGI can offer.

10. Placeholder

Placeholder Jedi Master star 4

Jan 30, 2013
    Maybe they won't even give us an exact amount of time. Star Wars doesn't exactly use dates. That stuff always comes from outside sources. I highly doubt the movie will actually speak on the matter at all.

DarthBreezy likes this.
  11. ShabbaTheHutt

Jan 8, 2013
    I don't quite understand that response for the following reasons...

Obi-Wan Kenobi was only 5 years older than his character at the time of filming ANH, not 15 so that point would support my argument for 40 years after ROTJ, not your argument for 30 years after.
    You then follow consideration of that with "...no, not at all..." which, with proper reading of my comment, implies that you DON'T believe that Episode VII will feature the big three at the ages they will be in 30ABY.
    Finally you ask me to consider the benefits of make-up and cgi which WOULD be an argument FOR the actors being able to play younger characters but the sentence initially started out saying the opposite of this.

So I'm completely baffled by what you mean here to be honest.

12. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    It also had Owen as Ben's brother and mother Skywalker surviving into Leia's toddler years.

Let's not forget the original Star Wars novel that said there were multiple Dark Lords of the Sith.

While we're at it, it even contradicted dialogue such as Yoda training Obi-Wan, Anakin as a great starfighter pilot when Ben 1st met him, etc.

13. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Very true, hell, the only flick that indicates how much time has passed between films is AOTC where Anakin sez "It's been ten year since I've seen her, Master". Barring a direct reference to whenever the ST takes place (opening crawl, offhanded line of dialogue that it's been X-amount of years since the Death Star was blown up) I'm sure the ST will be slotted into the official timeline where it most fits at the end of post ROTJ EU / pre Legacy stuff. And if there is a direct reference, the timeline will simply shift.

14. metr0man

metr0man Jedi Padawan star 1

Nov 13, 2012
    You might as well get a head start on "only consider[ing] pre-Disney Star Wars to be relevant." right now in the various Episode VII news threads. Because that's going to happen.

15. run_luke_run

run_luke_run Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 18, 2004
    We all know that these are works of fiction, right?

16. Rainbow Knight Star

Rainbow Knight Star Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 18, 2005
    I have a firm grip on the difference between fiction and reality, but thanks for the concern.

:)

17. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002

With the obsessiveness that surrounds it, sometimes I wonder...

lbr789 likes this.
  18. kubricklynch

kubricklynch Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 10, 2012
    Except for the fact, the ST likely won't fit in the EU timeline.

19. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    I'm a little confused about what you're after here...

On one hand, you want them to ignore the Vong, but then you go on to say that they better keep Chewie dead. If they ignore the Vong's existence for the story, then theoretically, Chewie would still be alive. I know you mentioned something about the briefest of references in dialogue, but come on. Something as HUGE as the Yuuzhan Vong invasion and the resulting terror and loss of life that followed (Chewie's death included) can not simply be written off by one or two lines of dialogue. It had too much of an impact on the galaxy to simply be swept under the rug like that.

With that said, they would probably be better off just writing off the Vong Invasion altogether and to keep Chewie alive and well.

20. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Well I guess this is looking to be a lose-lose situation.

ShabbaTheHutt likes this.
  21. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Rectons and guide books and character encyclopedias make the whole thing fit together, awkwardly, ham-fistedly, badly, but they do. The ST probably won't fit the EU timeline, then the EU timeline shifts around to make it fit anyway. That's what it does, it doesn't really spin off and declare things non-canon, etc.

22. Placeholder

Placeholder Jedi Master star 4

Jan 30, 2013
    That's why I keep it simple and only worry about what is in the movies. The EU is a world onto itself.

23. kubricklynch

kubricklynch Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 10, 2012
    That's what it has done so far. The Sequel Trilogy and the buyout by Disney makes it a whole new ball game.

If in Episode 7, Chewie is alive and Han and Leia have kids not named Jacen, Jaina, and Anakin, then post ROTJ is non-canon in any reasonable persons mind, regardless of the official stance taken by Lucasfilm.

Plus, some things have been declared non-canon, such as Adi Gallia's and Even Piell's deaths. And that's just for a cartoon that has a small percentage of the audience the ST has.

DARTHSHAME and Darth Chiznuk like this.
  24. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    I would actually be more happy with a wacky time-travel / great disturbance in the Force sweeping retcon story (in a spin-off media, obviously) than just stamping "Non-canon!" on it. Like I always get a kick outta "Crisis On Infinite Earths" style "capper" stories to a certain continuity. (Crisis on Infinite Infinities! Crisis on Infinite Chewbaccas! etc.) Heck, even if they still try to cram it all together, I'd read, like "Jania Solo and her Wacky Sequel Trilogy Adventures" novel which would be, like, 300 pages worth of continuity back-flipping. More fun than just *shrug*, not canon.

25. sethg

sethg Manager Emeritus star 2 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 3, 2012
    chewie will be in the movie and he's going to be on every poster, soda can, mcdonald's bag, and piece of promotional material possible.