main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit A/V Clone Wars Continuity Discussion (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by sabarte, May 12, 2008.

1. Sable_Hart

Sable_Hart Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 28, 2009
    I object to your objection!

2. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    I remember when I first saw the trailer for the finale, I thought the police kind of looked like the Coursicant Police from Bounty Hunter.

Well, I was very wrong on that count, but now I think they look a bit like the Oovo 4 gaurds from the same game:
    [​IMG]

Though I really wish I had a better picture to double check.

3. GGrievous

GGrievous Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2005
    [​IMG]

Great game

Gorefiend likes this.
  4. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004

You can see them pretty well here, the suits are similar though they seem to have the Alderaan Guard like blast helmets.

5. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Spoilers abound? Perhaps I should avoid this thread until Sunday, for my health :p

As for BH, lol. When Bounty Hunter first came out, I was in awe of its graphics. Somehow, in my head, its graphical quality has steadily upgraded to the best of whatever's current. Seeing those screenshots of what BH actually looks like -- well, wow. That's ugly. :p

darthcaedus1138 and Zorrixor like this.
  6. JediAlly

JediAlly Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 31, 2000
    I have to wait and see the episode on Saturday and read the article. But if all this is true, I'm not surprised by Ahsoka's decision to leave in response to how the Senate acted. But the Jedi Council's reaction from the preview, however... That was a surprise. Especially from Plo Koon's part, since he brought Ahsoka to the Order and could be a pseudo-father figure to her. Obi-Wan's the only one at the tribunal who seemed to be neutral. He didn't say anything in her favor, but she didn't say anything against her either. He seems unwilling to consider Ahsoka guilty right away. Probably because of what happened to Satine back in Season 2 or 3. Where she was accused of a crime she didn't commit and was later exonerated. Obi-Wan said the line between friend and enemy has becomed blurred.

As for Barriss, once again we have continuity issues here, but the potential for this to be straightened out seems to be higher than Even Piell's case.

7. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    [face_laugh]

8. Danz Borin

Danz Borin Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 16, 2012
    Oh joy, how convenient she leaves the Jedi Order just before the initiation of Order 66.....

Gee, who might show up in EP7 I wonder?

9. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    Don't voice such unclean thoughts [face_sick]

RC-1991, Esg, JackG and 2 others like this.
  10. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    It's easy to see why Anakin is majorly pis@ed with the council though,

Summer Dreamer likes this.
  11. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    It was easy to see why Anakin couldn't stand the council before TCW, but no, they would rather make the Clone Wars so black and white, with many factions of the CIS apparently being neutral, and have it so much of the show isn't even about the Clone Wars.

12. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    I bet she's
    coming back to the Jedi Order during the next season's premiere.
    Does not compute.

General Immodet and instantdeath like this.
  13. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    By black and white I mean the Republic always wins.

14. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Yet we have been told, many times, that they are. The phrasing "use the dark side" appears in film dialogue: He's been trained to use the dark side. Thus when Lucas' view of a two-sided Force is thrown out one of the many problems created is an issue of redundancy. If we try to make the term "dark side" refer to use of the Force rather than a side of the Force, "use the dark side" becomes "use your use of the Force". ( Also, since the entire balance plotline in the PT depends on a concept of duality, the proverbial baby is thrown out with the bathwater. )

In a sense it doesn't matter. We see examples of Jedi use of the Force causing pain often enough. We can't define the darksidedness of a power after the fact by its outcome.

Yet the Force has two sides. Anything can be subdivided; the Force is granted no special protection in this area. We might just as well say "it's all the atom" or "there is only the atom". Along come subatomic particles. I don't know if it's useful to call the sides of the Force "completely separate" given that they are both components of the same overall Force, yet they are indeed distinct components. This is why Revan can channel both of them at once, just as the Annotated Screenplays describe Luke using both sides.

But even if true that doesn't mean the Force can't be dualistic. We can suppose for the sake of argument the existence of a dualistic Force without undermining our beliefs regarding good and evil, because in this dualistic view the sides of the Force are not categorizations of behavior into "bad acts" and "good acts".

It's important to resist the urge to divorce this dialogue from its historical context. Simply put, TESB was not written in 2003. From the same film: But how am I to know the good side from the bad? This becomes an entirely needless question if in fact the good side is "being a good boy" and the dark side is "being a bad boy". We have sources describing the production of TESB at our disposal, so we know that a dualistic view of the Force ( with the dark side portrayed as tantamount to a malevolent external entity ) was in effect during the writing process.

Those are not entirely mutually exclusive concepts, though. In the EU the dark side is said to have a will; the Sith are said to be servants of it; it whispers to Anakin; it appears to sometimes provoke incidents of Sith succession; and it is implied ( by none other than the author of Traitor ) to have provided Vader's Sith name.

:cool: Use it, you say?

15. The_Phantom_Calamari

The_Phantom_Calamari Force Ghost star 5

Nov 10, 2011
    There's a difference between dark side use and dark side abuse, maaaaan.

*puffs on cigarette, puts it out on a homeless orphan's face, gives orphan a dollar, takes it away from him, gives it to him again, sets him on fire, finally achieves balance between the dark and the light*

Ulicus likes this.
  16. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    This just in from the Insider magazine: the writers are "no longer restricted on anything".
    Kill me now. :)
    Say goodbye to your canon, people.

fistofan1, Esg and darthcaedus1138 like this.
  17. General Immodet

General Immodet Jedi Master star 5

Dec 5, 2012
    Hopefully, 'anything' does not refer to the movies... ;)

18. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    I almost wish it did so we could ostracize TCW from both the films and the regular EU.....

19. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    What? Hopefully it DOES.

TCW would be AWESOME if it just said: "Screw the whole "Anakin becomes Vader" thing, lets see what happens when he doesn't -- to Infinities, and beyond!"

20. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007

21. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    Another interpretation is that with Lucas toning down or cutting out his involvement (I think?), they can go ahead and make what they want without him vetoing the idea. Like how Ryloth was originally going to be tidally locked and that was going to be important to that story before that idea got changed.

That said, I am not expecting a consistent change in quality for better or worse in any case. For one, I bet by now that Lucas' attitude of "do what you think is cool, continuity be damned" has rubbed off on people, like it did the Force Unleashed team. Second, sometimes Lucas was the one to veto dumb ideas, like the one where Durge is back but retconned to be human, so Lucas introduced the idea of Cad Bane instead (which does not contradict the EU since he is Duros :p)

JoinTheSchwarz , Grey1 and Ulicus like this.
  22. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    The Anakin Sykwalker that became Darth Vader was a clone, created by the same Kaminoan separatists that cloned Adi Gallia, Even Piell, and Barriss Offee. In the future, fangirls will now be able to watch ROTS without crying about how their hero would never do that.

In Episode 7, Hayden Christensen will be unfrozen from carbonite, where he has been held prisoner in the Separatist Clone Facility in the heart of Duros, where nobody in the Republic thought to investigate because they are Duros, not Neimoidians, and which was built during the Jedi Clone War during the Second Clone War that will form the backdrop of the next five Seasons when Ahsoka Tano becomes Grand Master of the real Jedi Council as the Clone Jedi Council takes control of the Jedi Temple in time for ROTS.

While Luke Skywalker may be old and fat, he will be there as his father's Best Man at Anakin's second wedding, when Anakin marries Lando's daughter, who will be the same age as Anakin was when he was frozen.

23. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    I agree that the light and dark sides are a suitable way in which to partition the Force when one speaks of it... but I think it's a huge mistake to view things in terms of there being a "light mana pool" and a "dark mana pool", as Karpyshyn so clearly does in the example you note.

If what I remember of the Dark Empire sourcebook is correct, then the dark side is described as no more or less than the Force's natural capacity for destruction, corruption, etc. with the light side its opposite capacity for creation, nurturing, etc.

And, that, really seems more appropriate.

One can "use" and be literally seduced or corrupted by the Force's destructive aspect... but the Dual Mana Pool hypothesis is like someone looking at a bonfire, pointing to a part of it and saying, "Yup, there's the Light Fire that warms your homestead" before pointing to another part and saying, "And here's the Dark Fire that could burn it down."

Given Yoda has literally just finished giving Luke a cliff notes explanation of when the dark side comes into play, it is a needless question in context, and Yoda's answer is, essentially, "be a good boy":

Yoda: You will know... when you are calm, at peace, passive. A Jedi uses the Force for knowledge and defense, NEVER for attack.

Translation:

Yoda: First you take a deep breath, contemplating your innermost self... and then you don't be a dick.

24. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    ... and what 'restrictions' were the writers working under before?

Havac and CeiranHarmony like this.
  25. CeiranHarmony

CeiranHarmony Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 10, 2004

oh my... who said that, and why? because of Disney? LFL? Kennedy? Lucas himself as a last goodbye wish to us litfans?

If it is a free for all now.. I demand my fanfiction to be canonized! I mean, I can follow them through good and bad writing, I can follow them through mistakes, errors and retcons, even through some severe issues that in the end turn out to lead to great fun or genius discussions and retcons ultimately... but there is a point one should consider quality out of the window.

And that is when your own writings are far superior to any professional folks writings who get paid a hell lot of money for it.. money you and your family could live better than you do under your current job.