main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST JJ Abrams to direct Episode VII

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Kuestmaster, Jan 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. J_Girl

J_Girl Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 18, 2001
    I was thinking: J(ar) J(ar) Abrams.... but I can't be the first to notice or cringe at that. [face_nail_biting]

2. DarthBrian

DarthBrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 9, 2002
    I've never laughed so hard in my life. Thank you for that. [face_laugh]

He's said on multiple occasions that he's not a Star Trek fan and I've been a Star Trek fan since 1975 so I'm pretty sure I know more about Star Trek than he does. LMAO

3. DarthBrian

Apr 9, 2002
    Nothing to get. It's not funny.

4. Darth Claire

Darth Claire Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2012
    I for one am HUGELY happy its JJ *is it bad that I kinda trust him more than Lucas?*. I'm just hoping he gives me a new "ship" (and not the kind you're thinking of. He already tried to kill Spirk, and made me hate Uhura. I kinda need a Star Wars OTP. I dont have one and I need one. NEED ONE!) I also want more wonderful emotions. Because dammit I love emotions! :D :mad: :_|

5. anakin-the-chosen-one

anakin-the-chosen-one Jedi Master

Feb 17, 2013
    Kind of worried about this because I though Star Trek 2009 was just okay. It wasn't terrible, but it was an okay film, I don't want Star Wars to be like that, Star Wars has to be amazing. :(

DARTHSHAME and Darth Chiznuk like this.
  6. Angel Eyes

Angel Eyes Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 1, 2012
    Just OK? It was a lot better than the prequel trilogy. Nowhere to go but up my friend.

Ulicus and The_Hellhammer like this.
  7. Darth Claire

Dec 21, 2012
    Star Trek 2009 is one of my favorite films ever so I am optomistic the Sequel trilogy will AT LEAST be better than the prequels. It has a good fanboyish director, a good writer *lets pray he doesn't fail with Oblivion and Hunger games* , and Kennedy. Plus...Abrams is good at getting good performances from young actors so if all goes well the new "Big Three" just might not suck :)

The_Hellhammer likes this.
  8. my kind of scum

my kind of scum Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2002
    I liked it a good bit, but not nearly as much as the prequels,personally.

9. Darth Claire

Dec 21, 2012
    I'm just hoping he doesn't pull a "Bryan Singer" and be such a fanboy that your whole film is basicly a tribute to the old franchise and doesn't move it forward and instead just milks the cow of the old franchise. Time to move forward. I doubt JJ will do that but he's working with a new batch of people so who knows. I also kinda wonder how much power he has. Cause I dont think you'd sign on somebody as big name as JJ Abrams to just have him show up and do exactly as he's told.

10. Luukeskywalker

Luukeskywalker Force Ghost star 5

Jun 23, 1999
    And I don't believe it was as good as the prequel trilogy.

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  11. KED12345

KED12345 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 10, 2012
    It has a higher RT rating than all but two of the Star Wars movies, for what it's worth. But then again, it's a matter of preference.

12. Darth Claire

Dec 21, 2012
    I love Star Trek 2009 for multiple reasons *and I'm not including the usual reasons*
    1. Its sexy as heck
    2. It revived Spirk *even if JJ tried to deny it. You can't deny spirk. You embrace it*
    3. My friends and I have developed an unhealthy obsession with Chris Pine
    4. ANNNNNNNNGGSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSST! SO MUCH ANNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNGST :_|
    5. It sadly gave me an addiction to hurt/comfort fan fics

13. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    I share your opinion. It didn't even come close for me. I'm a Star Trek fan but ST 2009 was just average for me. However, I have faith that George Lucas has come up with a great story and Michael Arndt has written a great screenplay and if JJ can just bring it to life (which I think he can) then I think we'll be in for a treat.

DARTHSHAME and stormcloud8 like this.
  14. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    Well, ST 2009 was kind of a test run, if you will. Not on purpose, not premeditated or something - just kind of him having a go at a huge franchise reboot, and it worked.
    It wasn't a very deep or moving picture, but that does not necessarily mean it was a shallow CGI-fest, as some Star Trek fans seem to bemoan. It was, for me, the perfect balance of old and new, adventure and action and story development.
    It was a surprisingly succesful blockbuster flick which fulfiled it's purpose and managed to reboot a dying franchise. I expect the second one will be even better.
    And it proved that he can make a great sci-fi blockbuster flick that is balanced and fun, which is exactly what the first movie on the new trilogy needs to be. It needs to be a spark that ignites the "New Era" of Star Wars universe and I have no doubt that he can pull it off and that the end result will be noticeably better than ST2009 since now he's quite experienced in these matters.
    I have full faith we'll get a great start to the new trilogy.

15. Luukeskywalker

Luukeskywalker Force Ghost star 5

Jun 23, 1999
    And therein lies the problem with Star Trek 09 vs the prequels. Trek 09 was by all accounts an entertaining picture, but the Trek franchise had been "dying". People leading up to Trek 09 were not that high on the franchise. It was perceived as being boring, too techie oriented, and on a whole different level of geekiness than SW. then Trek 09 comes out and JJ makes it Trek with a Star Wars flavor but without the mythological and symbolic depth of Star Wars. Needless to say it was a fun 2 hours, seemed alot more accessable to non geeks, and didnt have alot to live up to. The perception becomes that Trek 09 had resurrected a dying franchise.

Compare that to the prequels which due to the cultural phenomenon of the OT and the fact that they were 3 of the most hype movies ever, they had alot more to live up to. The OT was already accessable to non geeks and the general public. The perception was that they were a let down compared to the OT. the prequel hate only grew from there.

Expectations for Trek 09 and the PT were polar opposite and perception of the public regarding the quality of each really highlights that IMHO.

16. bergstrom

bergstrom Jedi Master star 2

Jan 26, 2004
    It would be nice if the OS started posting behind the scenes stuff, like JJ and Kathleen's meeting, JJ and George and some video etc...

17. Darth Claire

Dec 21, 2012
    I would pay to see behind the scenes stuff. Pay millions

bergstrom and Darth Chiznuk like this.
  18. DarthBrian

Apr 9, 2002
    Neither Star Wars nor Star Trek should have angst. >_<

19. anakin-the-chosen-one

anakin-the-chosen-one Jedi Master

Feb 17, 2013
    I respectfully disagree with you there, I adore the Prequels. :) Although I admit I am incredibly biased since Star Wars is my favourite film series, I don't know why but Star Trek didn't draw me in as much. I wish it did, I want to enjoy it like everyone else seems to. D:

20. Darth Claire

Dec 21, 2012
    Star Wars doesnt have angst? Lets take a count of all the angsty/depressing things that have happened in star wars: Decapitations, murder, planets being destroyed, hatred, betrayal, mothers dying in your arms, mothers dying after giving birth to their children, abusive relationships, torture, choking, more murder, more choking, forced amputations, seeing people you care about die in front of your very eyes, genocide, ruthless murder of children, persecution, slavery, revenge, being burned alive, trying to be forced into the darkside by using your friends against you, manipulation, finding out that girl you kissed is your sister, growing up without a paternal figure, dealing with the sins of your father, accidently killing your allies, having to face fears, acceptance of death, not knowing what to do, doomed love, and the fall of a republic. Yep....no angst whatsoever in Star wars ;)

21. Placeholder

Placeholder Jedi Master star 4

Jan 30, 2013
    AOTC is almost all angst. At least the Anakin stuff

22. Darth Claire

Dec 21, 2012
    And lets not forget Revenge of the sith. That film is made of angst and depressing ****.

23. Placeholder

Placeholder Jedi Master star 4

Jan 30, 2013
  24. DarthBrian

Apr 9, 2002
    Angst is defined as a feeling of anxiety, apprehension, or insecurity. None of what you listed is angst.

25. Lord TW

Lord TW Jedi Master star 2

Dec 25, 2012
    These last few posts are making me angsty

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.