main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series For Discussion of Old TCW episodes...

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by CT-867-5309, Nov 19, 2012.

1. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Duchess of Mandalore

First episode of the arc without an excellent cookie.

Sweet shot of a CIS fleet, complete with Lucrehulk and Vultures on patrol. We also get to see Mandos gearing up for war. Oh yeah, it never comes, though. Good idea, TCW.

lol @ the painting of Satine.

For some reason the Senate just puts me to sleep. I was really struggling to maintain attention.

Satine and Kenobi just strike me as incompatible. Their differences are deep, their arguments are not trivial.

Stuff happens, but I don't care about any of it.

The chase scenes are just coma-inducing.

Okay, now they want to kill Satine. They've had several easy opportunities to kill her before this throughout the arc, but for some reason did not. I don't see why they couldn't have killed her before. I don't even care why.

Kenobi and Satine choose the worst meeting place ever. It's out in the open and full of police droids. You're telling me there was no better place on all of Coruscant?

lol, the Mando assassin just drops a grenade at Satine's feet. I guess the time for subtlety is over. But oh hey, Kenobi drops his lightsaber AGAIN. It's like the Mandos secrete some kind of chemical that makes their enemies' hands slippery.

I think I just noticed this for the first time, but why does the Senate meet in the dark? Don't they have lights in that damn building? It's pretty spooky.

Jerec (not the cool one) says "We've been training for this. We can stop them." Didn't look that way in the Mauldalore arc. Or any of the Mando episodes, really. They were having a hard time handling merchants/smugglers in Corruption. Padme had to step in and go to work.

Having Satine and Kenobi spew the "moral of the story" at the end was just painfully tedious and contrived. This episode could be used to cure insomnia. 1/10

So much for that arc. I was hoping to find something noteworthy from Pre Viszla, but I didn't get it, nor did I get anything to endear me to Satine/Kenobi.

I'll be skipping Senate Murders. **** that noise.

ImNotAStarWarsFanboy likes this.
  2. CT-867-5309

Jan 5, 2011
    Hey Dark Lord Tarkas, I was just thinking the laser trap in Mystery of a Thousand Moons is kinda like some space obstacle you'd see in Star Trek. Usually these traps take the form of some "spacial anomaly", but sometimes it's tech. IIRC, "The Last Outpost" had some sort of energy drain trap to prevent intruders. "Booby Trap" has, well, a booby trap of course. It, too, drains power to prevent escape.

It's a common trope, but not one I've seen often in Star Wars. It's probably more of a sci-fi trope, trapping the Enterprise is something Star Trek does constantly.

A Star Trek style episode of TCW might be pretty damn cool.

3. 07jonesj

07jonesj Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2010
    You heard who's directing Episode VII? :p

4. Dark Lord Tarkas

Dark Lord Tarkas Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2011
    That is really interesting, I had not considered that similarity. I've actually been meaning to make a thread about TCW episodes that in some ways resemble Star Trek episodes for a little while now. I'll probably make it next week after S5 ends. After spotting that very Enterprise-looking speeder they used in Sabotage and The Jedi Who Knew Too Much, you've already contributed twice now without even realizing it. :p

5. CT-867-5309

Jan 5, 2011
    Bounty Hunters. Another episode I haven't seen in a looooong time. I did not have fond memories, but I've never thought of it as being one of the worst episodes or anything.

This episode was a tribute to Akira Kurosawa, though I'm almost completely unfamiliar with his work.

Ahsoka: How come every time you fly, we crash?

*****. SHUT. UP. I'm tired of this little "joke" of theirs, she just comes off as a ****. I mean really, in what universe is Anakin not an awesome pilot? Does she think she could do any better? If it wasn't for his piloting, she'd be dead a dozen times over, so just shut up already.

Those jungle rancors looked pretty cool. I guess I just liked how massive they were.

I noticed the samurai music. Cassiss, the village elder, sounds just like Mako. I know it's not him, but the influence is obvious. Dilanni, however, sounds like an offensive Japanese stereotype.

Obi-Wan's "we can't stay" was a transparent excuse to make Ahsoka look like the compassionate one. It even came off as a clumsy reference to Qui-Gon's not freeing slaves and hesitancy to get involved in Naboo's affairs in TPM.

Is Hondo's group the only group of pirates in the galaxy? I'm so tired of them.

Anakin puts on a display of staff mastery and I was expecting to break out into Mulan's "I'll Make a Man Out of You".

Embo snaps the pirate scout's neck, and Anakin approves. Ha, Anakin, you're so not a Jedi.

lol at Embo's hat throw, which strangely returns to him. Not a problem, though. Btw, I've seen comparisons to Captain America, but he's definitely more similar to Kung Lao.

SMH at Hondo going toe to toe with Anakin. Apparently Hondo just happens to have a lightsaber resistant electrostaff on him, and he just happens to be really good with it. I just couldn't buy it, Anakin would handle Hondo in three moves or less. Plus, the choreography wasn't even entertaining.

I did laugh at the Kowakian monkey-lizard firing the tank. It was legitimately amusing.

lol at Hondo screaming "this effort is no longer profitable" for some reason.

The little "size matters not" aesop they had going with Seripas annoyed the hell out of me and just doesn't make any sense. I guess little people have to be little, they aren't allowed to use kickass suits of armor.

Just about everything about this episode was just mediocre, just as I remembered it. The idea had potential, but the action and the delivery of the story was just poor. If they had done anything impressive, anything at all, it could have gotten a passing grade. If the action was consistently awesome, it could have gotten a very good grade. But as it is, 5/10.

6. GGrievous

GGrievous Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2005
    Ahsoka is the galaxy's most prominent starfighter pilot, CT.

7. 07jonesj

07jonesj Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2010
    In regards to the overuse of Hondo's pirates, we do see a different group in Nomad Droids.

8. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Of course she is. She became one the first time Filoni had a little too much Jack Daniels, went to the drawing board and said "**** canon."

I would have paid good money to see Anakin *****-slap Ahsoka for that comment though.

9. GGrievous

Nov 6, 2005
    Ahsoka would say that she is overly qualified to be leading a squadron on her own. She would then demand to lead at least 10 squadrons.

10. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    :eek: That is terrible. You should see at least one of his films. Put simply Kurosawa is (arguably) one of the most brilliant and innovative director's off all time and that is not an exaggeration.

Some of the most famous films out there are copies of his work

Starwars basically took the plot of the Hidden Fortress and put it in Space.
    A Fistful of Dollars is Yojimbo as a Western
    The Magnificent Seven again is just the Seven Samurai as a Western, which is also the film they were trying to do with this episode unsuccessfully I might add.

Seriously give at least 1 of those three films ago they are worth it.

cwustudent likes this.
  11. Orrelios

Orrelios Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 21, 2005
    Having watched several Kurosawa movies, including The Seven Samurai, makes that episode so much better to me. It has to be one of my favorite standalones.

12. CT-867-5309

Jan 5, 2011
    Not really worried about not having seen any Kurosawa movies.

The Zillo Beast

The Battle on Malastare looked like it could have been awesome. The droid army was HUGE, maybe the biggest I can recall seeing in TCW. So, both sides are just massing in formation. How can they, or at least the Republic, not know what a bad idea that is? Who needs a nuke? Why no orbital bombardment? I'd love to see some orbital bombardment on screen. Anyway, this show has a habit of setting up ridiculously awesome looking battles, only to not show them. Oh yeah, this episode is about Godzilla.

So the two sides open fire, and the clones are just standing out in the open, even though cover is like right next to them. So these guys are supposed to be smart? They're supposed to have knowledge of tactics? They're supposed to be able to think creatively? Oh, maybe the stupid Jedi ordered them to stand out in the open, and the clones have no choice but to say "yes, sir".

A HUGE starfighter screen for the Enola Gay. Again, one of the biggest gatherings of starfighters I've seen on the show. The ARC-170s are looking cool and get the full X-Wing treatment, with all the SFX from the Battle of Yavin. Z-95s are a cool EU reference, but I'd much rather see the ARC-170s.

So the Republic drops a nuke on the droids, demonstrating the obvious problem with gathering out in the open in such massive numbers. You don't even need a nuke. Oh, the EMP effect of the nuke was neat-o. The nuke awakens Godzilla, which is of course, dead on.

The initial Zillo reveal is actually pretty cool looking. It's a bit foggy, and it just works to have something that massive appear from a foggy shroud. To be surprised by something that large is obviously a rare occurrence.

The Zillo design, however, is just goofy. It just looks stupid. WTF is that thing on its back? Who thought it was a good idea to give it an awkward fifth limb? It looks like a drawing by a five year old. Get rid of the fifth limb and definitely make the hands/feet look less smashed. The head is alright, but it could be better. This arc is heavily dependent on the Zillo Beast and its design is a failure, imo.

So apparently Dr. Sionver Boll is an expert on the electro-proton bomb.....and zoology. So versatile.

It was cool seeing the Zillo SMASH during the battle with the stun tanks at the end. Not quite as boring as I remembered, but not great. I guess it deserves a passing grade? I don't even know. It wasn't horrifyingly bad, but it wasn't particularly entertaining. Whatever, I'll be kind. 6/10

The Zillo Beast Strikes Back

Great title. The Zillo beast will always strike back!

"The most dangerous beast is the beast within". Okay, I like it.

Palpatine notes "Such size. Such power." lol, damn this guy loves size. The Death Star, Imperial Star Destroyers......you think he's compensating? Nah.

lol Dr Sionver Boll "The beast is a priceless resource, it will be well treated, I assure you." Cuz it's a priceless resource, not cuz it's a living being, amirite?

Awwwww poor Zillo is being experimented on.

lol Palpatine and the Zillo stare each other down.

So, Palpatine orders the Zillo to be killed. What good will that do? Will that somehow make its hide less impenetrable? I guess they'd better hope so.

Alright, I know it's a like, a compassion thing, but if the Zillo beast truly is the last of its kind, why not kill it? It's doomed as a species anyway, unless it reproduces asexually, I guess. They can always clone it if they want to keep a living specimen, and they can always gather the genetic material required to clone it after it dies. So, other than some nice idea of letting it live peacefully just for its sake, I don't see the problem.

The best part of the episode is definitely seeing the Zillo smash Coruscant. That's what Godzilla does, he smashes things. It was great to see the Zillo send random civilians flying.

I got really tired of hearing them say "I've got a bad feeling about this".

Mace "How can it be a plan if it's improvised?" lol

Not sure of the point of having Yoda and Aayla run around on the Zillo. It was nice seeing them do something, I guess. lol the Republic gunships fire on the Zillo, even while Yoda and Aayla are still on it. Having Palpatine ride R2 was just ludicrous.

I guess it was cool seeing the Jedi hold off the gas.

I definitely would have preferred to see the Zillo just smash Coruscant instead of having it chase Palpatine.

Oh, Dr Sionver Boll is also a cloning expert. She's a triple threat!

Uh, 6/10. Whatever.

I'm skipping the three part S2 finale and the first six episodes of S3 and going straight to "Assassin". No, I'm not watching the adventures of BFF Ahsoka and Riyo, I'm not watching poisoned tea, and I'm not watching Scrappy lead Fred, Daphne, Velma and Shaggy.

13. ImNotAStarWarsFanboy

ImNotAStarWarsFanboy Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 25, 2011
    I will make it my mission to watch them for you then.

14. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    MST party, Fanboy, MST party. And since you don't drink, I'll drink enough wine for both of us.

15. ImNotAStarWarsFanboy

ImNotAStarWarsFanboy Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 25, 2011
    It'll most likely be a one-a-day thing as I have a fair amount of other work to do in the coming weeks.

16. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Yeah I'm there. I didn't have a definitive time frame.

17. Sable_Hart

Sable_Hart Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 28, 2009
    Been purchasing episodes from iTunes and re-watching them. Of the ones I can remember and re-watched, "Massacre" is the only one that kept my attention from start to finish upon multiple viewings. Don't know why, but I suspect it has to do with the recurring Star Wars trend that the villains are a zillion times cooler than the heroes (yes, yes, including Han Solo). It had the right combination of menacing!Grievous, sympathetic!Ventress, and, y'know, actual warfare. Not to mention that the Nightsisters broaden the mythos and show other elements to the universe.

The Maul two-parter in season 4 was decent and the Maul arc in season 5 was good. "Revival" and "Eminence" were clunkers, IMHO. "Shades of Reason" started to fall into the same trap, but was rescued from the Scrappy Heap by the second half (particularly the duel with Pre Viszla). "The Lawless" is even better, but the moment Sidious shows up, I stop caring about everything else... which is actually not good for an episode.

A lot of potential to be found here, alas it's slowly but steadily being pissed away.

The Shadow Emperor likes this.
  18. CT-867-5309

Jan 5, 2011
    I'm going to try to blow through S3 and S4 as quickly as possible.

Assassin. I remember enjoying this one for all the Force vision stuff. Looking back, all the trash leading up to this episode may have influenced my feelings. I don't have much to say about this episode, it was just bad. All bad. Bad everywhere.

The sense of Anakin 2.0 is just way too strong in this episode. The conversations she has with Padme are just bizarre, it's like watching ROTS but with Ahsoka jammed in Anakin's place.

Ahsoka says "I've been mostly unsure about my abilities on my own.." SINCE WHEN. Ahsoka, I hate your face.

It gets to the point where Ahsoka is literally having a vision every time she closes her eyes. It just trivializes Force visions.

Ahsoka: My vision is telling me one thing, but reality is telling me another. Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe no one's out to kill you.

LOOK HOW MUCH MORE REASONABLE THAN ANAKIN SHE IS.

This whole episode, this whole show, spends way too much time having Ahsoka live Anakin's life, only better. What's the ******* point?

1/10

19. Dark Lord Tarkas

Apr 29, 2011
    Assassin does seem a lot better than it is because it's one of the best episodes of that section of S3. I've rewatched every TCW episode a number of times, and the Force visions always hold up for me, probably because it's the only time we see them in first-person in the show. I also love the Ep. IV Princess Leia theme when they visit Alderaan and the Ep. V Yoda theme when Ahsoka is talking to Yoda. It's fairly dull in general, but like I said, better than surrounding episodes, and I'm big into the Force vision concept.

I think it makes sense for Ahsoka to be more open to the visions not being true than Anakin in Ep. III, Padme isn't Ahsoka's wife and biggest attachment.

20. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I don't even remember that episode, that's how well it resonated with me. :p

I'm planning to watch and review the Ryloth arc and Hostage Crisis tomorrow night, so I can finish season 1. Damn, I'm slow.

21. GGrievous

Nov 6, 2005
    It seems that you are unfamiliar with how Force visions work. They are not instantaneous. ;)

Odds are they did that for time constraint. Or unless it's another way of showcasing Ahsoka's powers....

22. Dark Lord Tarkas

Apr 29, 2011
    The impression I got, from the films more than anything else, was that Force visions could be about something in the immediate or distant future (or merely possibilities).

23. GGrievous

Nov 6, 2005
    That is correct. However, the way the visions are portrayed in Assassin and in ROTS are vastly different. In the film, they randomly came to Anakin (which does connect well with how they work), but in TCW, Ahsoka received a vision anytime she felt like having one.

24. Dark Lord Tarkas

Apr 29, 2011
    I recall the Force visions in Assassin coming to Ahsoka unbidden and at least one time during sleep, like Anakin in Ep. III.

25. GGrievous

Nov 6, 2005
    Not all the time, however. IIRC ROTS was consistent, while TCW either let Ahsoka decide for herself (instantaneous vision) or have a randomly occurred vision (which is how it should be).