main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit SOS: Save Our Skywalker, Luke Skywalker (v3)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Jedi Ben, Mar 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    When they stop trying to flog the Scoundrels hardback at £15-17 and drop it to £12-13, which is the net discounted market rate for hardbacks, I'll buy it, but not before!

2. kataja

kataja Jedi Master star 4

May 4, 2007
    Speaking HTTE, I saw LOTR yesterday with my son and it struck me how evil things being drawn to Fordo, reminded me of Vornskr being drawn ot Luke. I also started to specualte if there was a parallel between the danger of using the Ring, to the reluctance to let Luke use all his powers. Not necessarily a parallel Zahn's made deliberately, but one that runs pretty deep, at least in more reflexive people in our society - the fear of power, a lesson taught by WWII... Well, just a thought... But if there's something about it, I think GFFA is a universe where one shuldt fear the power of the Force. Not in itself. It's the way you use it, that can be dangerous.

Yes, that scene is something of the best written in SW. It has the additional qualities of Lando's total belief in his freind (and hey - when is Lando normally a 'believer'? - it's Luke and Luke alone who pulls taht up in him!) plus Karrde's POV on the scene and recognition of what's happened.

And like Child, i think this fits ill with Zahn's potrayal of Luke in Allegiance and CoO - which makes me look even harder for how I read those novels wrong!!! But I still don't get it.:(

3. Mat Skywalker

Mat Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2005
    I have a feeling that Abrams, Ardnt, and Kennedy are still weighing their options. As I have a feeling their story isn't as complete as we would like to believe. If the story does indeed take place 30 years after the OT then I do want them to get the original actors.....BUT on the condition that they shape up, have that familiar chemistry they did in OT, and bring back some of that energy. I would like to see Hamill back in jedi master black robes but I want it done right.

it's such a great scene, and one of Luke using his wits and his skills without the Force. Now if he is that dangerous without his power just imagine him with it ;)

Skyrim is a fantasy video game which pits you as the hero dragonborn who use his or her Thumn abilities to defeat a great evil(think of it as Luke embracing his destiny minus the space stuff and more emphasis on medieval stuff and there you go ;))

They still need to have a certain energy, Clint Eastwood, Tommy Lee Jones, Helen Mirren, Liam Neeson, Sam Jackson, and Judi Dench all have energetic and strong performances despite being in their 50's-80's. Sam Jackson himself was pretty active for being an older actor...I want Hamill to do some actual sword fighting besides the expected digital fighting.For Hamill I wouldn't see it as too difficult as he did some singing and dancing in broadway not too long ago, so he could be active if needed.

but question is will it be live action or cgi animation ?

well it could be possible that Luke and Mara have twins(brother and sister) ;)

exactly even Obi-wan said that Luke has a different path than himself.

yup it finally arrived, it was a long wait and a lot of bugs but now we have it, and it's running well :)

no kidding :rolleyes:

I was thinking the same here when I heard about the story doesn't rely on deaths to tell a good story.....shock:eek::p[/quote][/quote]

kataja likes this.
  4. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    ChildofWinds, aren't you a teacher? You should know what the kids are blowing off their homework for :p

MasterSkywalker86 likes this.
  5. kataja

May 4, 2007
    Agreed to all of it.

I've never thought of that quote in another context than the actual one in ANH, but it works very well! :) Let's hope someone "out there" thinks like you too!

I think 'energy' is the key work, yes. I think Hamill's Broadway career is as far back as the 80's, at least it was in the last millenium. But I'm positive he's been so active once, that he still knows what it's about. Also, I'm sure the key actors are aware of the enourmous pressure - they've been evaluating themselves the past months to figure out what they can deliver - no one wants to reprise his/her golden role and look like a failure.

6. Mat Skywalker

May 8, 2005
    I hope so too, as I feel the same as Child, who really could be powerful enough to kill off Luke ? I mean he just defeated a Force god :p He only started learning about the Force in ANH and he ends up destroying the Empire's super weapon, in Empire he destroyed an AT-AT and held off a more experienced Vader for a bit, and in Jedi he kills a rancor, dismantles Jabba's criminal empire, defeats Vader and brought back Anakin which in turn eliminated the sith hierarchy/Imperial leadership with his son, And then he became a Jedi Knight.....imagine what he could do as a Jedi Master ? [face_hypnotized]

actually in 2003 Mark did some broadway musical called Six Dance Steps in Six Weeks, although it has been 10 years since then he's only in his 60's and could definitely be active again. On another topic, I know Mark had a son named Nathan, I don't think he acts as he's a comic writer for Bongo Comics. But what would you think if Nathan played a Luke after ROTJ ?

also as a comic fan I love this image

[​IMG]

7. kataja

May 4, 2007
    LOL Indeed. No one. But sheer numbers might. Not even a Jedi Grand Master can go on forever against multiple enemies. And in general, I think it's a dangerous road to enter. If the plot requires Luke to die - I'd rather accept it and enjoy the glory I can get than start nitpicking if it was a death that made Luke "look weak". I trust them to make it look 'grand'.

But like you, I don't hope they just kill him as routine 'because mentors are in habit of dying early'

He did? Cool!!!:D I have to be honest and say i think he'll be able to step into the role pretty easily, at least physically. He migth be a bit overweight right now - but it's rather new, he's been more or less in shape all of his life, so it won't be anything revolutionary to get back to it. I think it might be more a question of (if they hang on to EU) adapting the mindset of the man Luke's become. Then again, I think it will work out fine, particularly with Abrams as director.

It's cool! Am I the only one who'd like him to swing around with Mara too?

8. Mat Skywalker

May 8, 2005
    exactly :cool:

True even after going on "god mode" in TUF there was an exhaustion point for him...although he was going on long.

the thing is GL has made statements that the big 3 live happily ever after post ROTJ, and wouldn't allow the book writers to kill him off even though he regards it as AU....why ? o_O it could be that maybe GL won't have him kill off onscreen ?

you think ? all he needs to do is get a personal trainer so he could slim down and keep active with sword fighting. another thing I mention is how would you feel if Mark Hamill's son play Luke post ROTJ, during his younger years ?

agreed, but Mara has to wear the bikini :D

9. kataja

May 4, 2007
    I look forward to that book starting to pull me in. Finished chapter 4 yesterday - 41 more to go...:p

At least he didn't want him killed off offscreen...

Personal trainer is granted. I wish I had one... and a professional reason to put everything else aside...[face_blush]

As nor Nathan Hamill, I've seen pics of him and I'm surev he's a great guy but he doesn't have the dashingness his fathers had in his younger days - not does he seem particulrly fit. And since I have seen no indication he's done any acting I'd say it's a no go. When they recast Luke, they need a charismatic young actor

[face_laugh]

10. Mat Skywalker

May 8, 2005
    hmmm I forgotten that the book has 45 chapters... the beginning takes some time to get the ball rolling but once it does it keeps on moving. Luke's battle is specifically well done. Ironically I haven't read anything EU related since my reading of DE in January [face_thinking] I'm on sort of a sabbatical from EU even before the announcement of ST. Currently I'm reading Feast of Crows book 4 of the Song of Fire and Ice series aka Game of Thrones.

any who finish that book Kataja ;) There is something that Jacen does in the book that I want Luke to do in another book.

or maybe he doesn't want him dead...he won't sell as many toys if he died :p

lol it's not too late to start an acting career. I been doing my best to stick with 3 days a week regimen. Another thing I want to note I expect Luke to do some Yoda acrobatics fighting via cgi but much faster ;)

true and he doesn't act but just a thought. so who could perhaps play a younger Luke ? nobody really comes to mind so it would have to be an unknown actor.

11. kataja

May 4, 2007
    I'll do my best, Master. I've not manage to start on SoFaI properly, though I've witnessed firsts eason and liked it a lot. Then again, the last thing I need is more stuff to read, my list is long enough as it is.

Well, Obi-Wan still sells toys...;) But IF Lucas identifies with Luke (as many people believe) maybe he'd finally believe in a happily ever after now he's gotten mariied anew and all. Then again - it's not up to him to decide what will happen anymore...

You go to acting classes? Hey! Maybe YOU could play Luke? :D

I'd definitely go for some one realitively unknown. But of the suggestions made back in november, (when everyone was falling over themselves to make wild guesses) I wacthed YouTube clips for two who weren't totally off; Emile Hirsch, who seemed a tad cooler and 'wilder' than Luke, but who had that same amount of energy as Hamill - and Anton Yelchin who has a sincerity about him that I really like. I think what particlyaly characterizised Luke - and that distinguishes him from so many screen-heroes - is his vitaily and earnestness. I even remember Mara thinking of him as Mr Earnest in a NJO book :p

Funny, though, taht you should ask - I remember in november when you were positive there were a lot of suitable actors - and I was very doubting.

I think sugesstions like Chris Pine or Liam Hemsworth are terrible, though. Not that I don't like them as actors - they're just not Luke material at all!

12. Mat Skywalker

May 8, 2005
    go get/watch second season. I can see a lot of Luke in Jon Snow and their story arcs :) also Dany, Arya, and Tyrion are equally as awesome.

well young Obi-Wan I dare say due to the PT :p but you're right Luke is Lucas avatar, and I think it's possible that Disney might honor his wishes.

lol, I don't act but I assume it's never too late to take a class, as for playing Luke well I have his height(at least Hamill's) but I'm neither a sandy blonde nor have his blue eyes. I think I look a bit more like a mixture of Wedge and Jango/Boba if I look like any character in GFFA.

agreed

Emile seems a bit too wild for my preference but I only seen him in one film. Yelchin was great in Trek, Terminator Salvation, and Fright Night. In the latter he truly shined
    as an underdog trying to save his girlfriend and stop an ancient evil vampire and he use his wits/resourcefulness. So maybe Yelchin [face_thinking] he also did a young Kyle Reese/ Michael Bien and that's the only other actor I could have seen as Luke back in the day....so maybe

positive of there being others, yes. do I know any of them ? I have no idea :p

too cocky or alpha maleish plus they're both taller than Mark

13. kataja

May 4, 2007
    Bah. Luke doing a Force disguise to the audience :p

Ah [face_thinking] Yes. Michael Bien was pretty close to Luke. Indeed some similarties there....
    Good point about Emile Hirsch. Thing is, that Luke shouldn't be wild or cool and leaned back - not as type.

I know exactly what you mean! Luke can be cocky too - but it's ina different way - and he reaches the alpha male role through what he becomes by hard work - it's not given to him - and he would never imagine he'd have it as youngster.

Some have suggested Andrew Garfield too, as he did a nice Peter Parker - but he's not right either.

Also, I hope they find a Luke with nice looks - but not some one polished like Hayden Christensen was - or like the Hemsworths or Paul Walker (whos' been rumored to play Kyle Reese next).

14. Mat Skywalker

May 8, 2005
    lol :p

they look alike a bit and Michael Biehn in Terminator had the underdog arc and could stay cool under pressure especially in Aliens.

basically it's like how Superman acts in the 1978 film....that's how I see Luke act in Jedi.

I dunno if it was his acting or the direction but I didn't like his portrayal of Peter....I believe it's with the latter. Either way nah it doesn't strike me as Luke either.

you mean more what ? farmboyish ?

15. ChildOfWinds

ChildOfWinds Chosen One star 6

Apr 7, 2001
    kataja:
    Yes, that's what I'm hoping will happen too..

instantdeath:
    I remember that, and I really loved it! :)

MasterSkywalker86:
    Yes, but the book cover underneath has the complete artwork from the original HttE, except it's not in color.

Nobody145:
    Hi, N! Welcome back! I've missed you!

Which is always a plus, since far too often Luke does seem to be put down in the novels!

Well, since I usually agree with you, it's nice to see that others feel the same way that I do about the books we've been getting for a long time now in the post RotJ timeline. As I have said, I wouldn't really be all that upset if the new sequel trilogy pretty much negated everything after SQ.

While I am not at all looking forward to Crucible, as I truly fear what Denning will do with Luke especially since he gave Luke that terrible Force injury, I am cautiously optimistic and excited about the ST.

I completely agree!

I really hope that Luke will last throughout the ST, and not just as a Force ghost either.

That's the way I feel too. And, yes, it would be great if Luke had more than one child! I DO want him to have a family! I really hope that Lucas changed his mind about not letting Luke marry and have kids! I think that would be a mistake, both for the ST, and for the future SW tales that will come once the ST is over. I want to continue to be able to follow a Skywalker, a descendent of Luke's, into the future.

More another time!

16. Mat Skywalker

May 8, 2005
  17. ChildOfWinds

Apr 7, 2001
    kataja:
    I agree. One shouldn't be afraid to use the Force as long as one isn't abusing it, and is using it to help others and to defend oneself or others.

Well, if you're reading Allegiance and CoO wrong, so am I, because I too feel that Zahn isn't portraying Luke well in them. I GET that Luke isn't a Jedi during the time when those books take place. I'm not expecting Luke to be a Jedi or use the Force. What I wanted to see, but didn't, was Luke using his other gifts and talents. I wanted to see Luke accomplish something using those other gifts. I also expected Luke to be active; to rush into a situation when someone else is in danger, not stand back and wait because someone he hardly knows told him to do that.

I also expect that Luke would have carried a blaster at this time and not only a lightsaber.

So, I completely agree with you, K. And it's especially puzzling because Zahn DID understand that Luke is capable in many other ways as is shown by his Thrawn trilogy. So why make Luke look so inept and useless not that many years before the Thrawn Trilogy?

MasterSkywalker86:
    I definitely want to see him as a Jedi Master! And I want him to have restored the Jedi Order.

Exactly!

I'd like to see that too. But what I don't want to see is Luke needing to fight one of his own children or nieces or nephews. I don't want to see any Solo or Skywalker Jedi going dark!

The animation would probably be cheaper. While I always prefer live action, I would watch cgi animation stories about Luke and his Jedi too.

I'd like that!

I agree!

instantdeath:
    Yes, I am, and I usually hear about what is popular at the moment, but this is one thing I've never heard about. Is this Skyrim for all ages? I teach first graders. Are they maybe too young for it?

More another time....

kataja likes this.
  18. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    Probably. It's rated M for mature. Not that kids don't easily get around that, but first grade might still be a bit too young to start defying the ratings :)

19. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008
    As for how Mara began to regain her power, well, I certainly have a theory on that. My general theory on Mara is that she gains her power from Force bonds, just like the Jedi Exile in KOTOR II

I have never heard of this idea before, but it makes much sense.

I was off for a week of vacation and forgot to stop in here. Hope everyone is well. Honestly i can't imagine someone else playing Luke. No one else could get the character right. Heck I don't even know if Mark Hamil can get it right anymore. He is so used to voicing villians.

MasterSkywalker86 and kataja like this.
  20. kataja

May 4, 2007
    Through Club Jade I found and interview with Kevin J. Anderson. As many of you know, he's not my all time fav author, but I like his musings about Luke at the time of JAT:
    "When I was writing the trilogy, I wanted Luke to understand the need to bring back the Jedi Knights as strong forces for the light side, but also be aware of the potential dangers"
    and
    "Even though he was the most powerful Jedi still alive at the time, Luke would have been a rank amateur a few decades earlier. That's a lot of pressure for a person!"
    This is of course what he portrays in JAT, but I like his idea of Luke as a person who's in over hs head. That's pretty much akey to his character at this point of timeline!

Interesting. What didn't you like?

Um, I think I've lost the therad here. I guess what I mena is that I like the 'level of goodlookingness' in the OT. Christensen and Portman are a bit 'too beautiful' - poor guys :p

We're in complete agreement here! [:D]
    And united in frustration :mad:

That's the ultimate fear [face_skull]

21. Mat Skywalker

May 8, 2005

gifts shouldn't be treated like curses unless the individual has been using them as thus and for what I could see Luke wasn't like that.

true but a fit and in shape jedi master [​IMG]

agreed the fewer plots used from LOTF the better...it would be redundant too as Luke proved you can choose your own destiny by not following his father's footsteps.

same here

nah it's more of a mature action/rpg fantasy game but it follows the player character as he or she goes through the hero's journey. The last Dragonborn must stop the ultimate evil....sounds like Luke's MO no ? [​IMG]

at least that's one idea KJA got right, also I think Luke at the beginning of his Jedi Master career might just have started learning the subtelies of the Force but as for power and skill he was easily topping Mace, his father, and Yoda at that point. He beat Sidious in DE prior [​IMG]

He acted too selfish, too hipster/popular, and very stalkerish to be the dorky/highly moral/insecure Peter Parker of the comics. I didn't like the previous films before the reboot but I think Tobey got the dork and moral aspect of Peter. Also the director seem convinced to have Peter mumbled in the reboot [​IMG]

lol it wouldn't be the first time [​IMG] so Luke must be more plain looking but in a good looking way ? [​IMG]

well Hamill is talented in his range of characters

22. ChildOfWinds

Apr 7, 2001
    kataja :
    *** Yes, let's hope someone does think like MS!

MasterSkywalker86 :

**** I don't think that someone who is not an actor should play Luke.

kataja :

****If Luke *has* to die, I do hope they make his death "grand", as you said, but I would much prefer to see Luke survive the ST so he can die peacefully of really old age surrounded by family, friends, and fellow Jedi.

*** Yes, I think those are two of the unique traits of Luke. Don't forget that Farmboy charm too. There are many others.

JediMatteus :
    That's an interesting comment, JM! I can't imagine anyone else as Luke Skywalker either.

kataja :
    Well, but I think Luke already knew that. In the first place, it was during DE that Luke realized that the Jedi Knights were needed to stand against evil. So he already understood the need to bring back the Jedi knights. He didn't make that decision during the JAT.

As for being aware of potential dangers, I think Luke certainly understood that as well. After all, he knew about what had happened to his own father. Yoda and Ben also kept harping about the dark side. I think Luke more than most Jedi had a healthy wariness of the dark side.

I think that Anderson actually portrayed Luke the opposite of what he stated, because he didn't write Luke as being as wary as he should have been; nor did he have Luke seem as concerned as I think he should have been when things started to go wrong with Gantoris and Kyp.

Actually, at the time of the JAT, Luke was only about 28, right? So Luke had only been a Jedi for about 5 years at that time!!!

In over his head is one thing; totally clueless and incompetent is quite another, and I feel that Luke was portrayed as pretty clueless, inept, and incompetent. Where was Luke's resourcefulness? Where was his intelligence? Where were his Jedi instincts? The Luke of the JAT didn't seem much like Luke to me for most of the trilogy.

Definitely! I don't understand why Zahn wrote Luke the way he did in Allegiance or CoO either!

MasterSkywalker86:
    I agree.

Right! And we don't need a repetition of Anakin's fall by one of Luke's children or one of Leia's children.

23. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008
    KJA is freaking clueless. he needs to be quiet a go back to whatever he writes now. For one thing Luke was not alive decades earlier. at best he would have been 8

24. ChildOfWinds

Apr 7, 2001
    Exactly! Luke had just been a Jedi for about five years at that time!

25. Mat Skywalker

May 8, 2005
    I hope that both Ardnt and Abrams take that line to heart too(same for Kasdan), there is a good reason why they chose Ardnt to become the writer of the story as he does lectures of the significance of the OT's storylines.

agreed, just an idea.

I rather they show the stark differences of Luke's choice and Anakin's, one led to death, destruction, a galaxy in fear and tyranny and ultimately ended up with Anakin sacrificing himself. Luke's on the other hand should demonstrate a path of rebuilding, peace, a galaxy in a state of hope, and himself living in this "golden age" in peace. The consequences of choice should be outlined.

agreed, if we're talking about skill and power well Luke already bested Mace,Yoda, and his father by defeating Sidious in one on one combat and destroying his first body. As for the subleties of the Force and exotic abilities, well Luke had only been a jedi for 6 years on the job so he still had a lot to learn. I argued that after DE Luke would have been wary and concern at any signs of aggression with his jedi students..

the consequences of Luke's and Anakin's decisions must be highlighted. The good path leads to life and salvation, the bath leads to death and destruction.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.