main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation So after the new trilogy is done... (AKA What will Star Wars look like in 20 years?)

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Han Burgundy, Feb 27, 2013.

1. Darth Claire

Darth Claire Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2012
    I'm predicting tons and tons of and tons of novels, comics and video games which we will all debate whether are canon or not.

2. LunarMoth

LunarMoth Jedi Master star 4

Nov 27, 2012
    What I truely hope happens is that this ST trilogy will be the last of the Skywalker Saga. Doing some like Old Republic or something way in the future could be cool, but ending the Skywalker Saga will eventually be crucial for the following reasons:

1. Assuming the ST is AWESOME, ending the Skywalker Saga on a high note will ensure that no matter what else, or how much of it, comes out later, the essence of Star Wars will always be legendary, even if later productions either oversaturate the market or suck.

2. Regardless of how many versions of the truth there have been about how many episodes Lucas "originally" intended Star Wars to be, eventually the Skywalker Saga will become very watered down, and no longer the vision of a visionary.

One of the things I have always loved about Star Wars is that there was not too much of it. I have to say that I have mixed feelings about Star Wars going on forever.

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  3. TheProtocol

TheProtocol Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 2, 2012
    I'm hoping for episodes X, XI, XII that continue the Skywalker saga. GL mentioned there being 12 episodes but I have a feeling they'll be merged into the sequel trilogy.

I'm hoping for the spin off movies, I think they'd be really good.

Star Wars has become bigger than the Skywalkers, Jedi, and the force. There are unexplored planets, races, back stories of existing characters that the general public don't know about.

I can see the market becoming saturated but once the sequel trilogy is out of the way they can totally do two films a year or every 18 months providing they're about different characters etc. releasing a Boba Fett spin off and then a sequel within a year is too much too soon. But a Boba Fett and Yoda film for example can be released within the same calendar year because they're different enough to pull their own audiences.

4. General Immodet

General Immodet Jedi Master star 5

Dec 5, 2012
    I do not think they should have made new SW movies.
    After a while, it will be a bit over the top.
    SW does not have to become the James Bond of Science Fiction.
    Quantity does not equal quality.
    What will the people even remember from the OT years after its release? Will they still even know who Darth Vader was?
    Will they be able to keep inventing original stories?
    What audience will come and see SW in the future?
    Will we ever get another dark movie (such as TESB or ROTS)?

They should just have focused on Underworld.

5. Palp_Faction

Palp_Faction Force Ghost star 4

Feb 3, 2002
    In 2033, I'll be nearly retired! Wow....

I really hope the Eps finish at no XII at the most. SW was never intended to be open-ended. It's a saga. I think once XII is done and, if there's still an appetite for more, then Disney will start a new saga, possibly set in the distant past. I can also see lots of stand alone films being made too. Then again, they may decide to concentrate on TV series after that, which could very well be open-ended. They'll be SW theme parks too. SW will probably outlive all of us.

6. clone3131

clone3131 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2004
    I honestly think VII-IX will be the last of the "numbered" trilogies. After/during we will get stand alone films, then Yoda 2, Boba 2, Han Solo 2.

Then we will get KOTOR movie(s).

Then, maybe they will start another Star Wars Episode I - but it will be set way in the future and have zero to do with previous 3 trilogies..

-C

7. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    I think after Episode VII, VIII, IX they should stop with the Skywalkers and focus on a different era. A Darth Bane trilogy is something I've longed for and something I hope we get sooner or later. Other than that I would just say that I hope they're creative and do something a little more significant than character one-offs. There is so much space to explore in the Star Wars Universe.

Echo-07 likes this.
  8. Jedi Comedian

Jedi Comedian Jedi Master star 3

Oct 27, 2012
    This. Especially with them saying there'll be a film a year. Star Wars will stop being special and start being a tired brand.

General Immodet likes this.
  9. Joe

Joe Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 25, 2012
    I think there needs to be another long gap after IX. If they make X three years after, it'll tire the public out after a while. The PT and ST are both highly anticipated - the break between the trilogies helped the anticipation.

10. Echo-07

Echo-07 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2012
    Yeah, except they never said that. They said they plan to release a new SW film every 2 or 3 years. BIG difference. Also, anyone thinking that SW will get watered down is being a "Chicken Little." In no way do I see them just throwing SW out there for the sake of it. Episode 9 could very well be the last of this saga OR it could continue with new branches of the family. OR they could easily start a new series set in the time of the Old Republic and fill in so much back story in a fresh new way, with the occasional spin-off to flesh-out certain other characters. Also, if you look at James Bond and perhaps Star Trek, they have been around about 10 or more years than SW and have produced more movies, yet are still popular AND have just produced arguably the best movie installments in their respective franchises ever with the ST reboot and Skyfall.

We're just beginning the new chapter and all this premature consternation is ridiculous.

11. DARTHSHAME

DARTHSHAME Jedi Master star 4

Dec 19, 2003
    I agree with those who believe that we will have a break after Episode IX. I then forsee a trilogy set in the Old Republic. Another option is to jump ahead 300+ years after ROTJ. They could create something entirely new without any direct ties to the old characters.

12. Jedi Comedian

Oct 27, 2012
    You're right. They never explicitly said that they'll release a film a year. However, in this interview Bob Iger said that the ST would be made over a 6 year period, and that "a few more" films would be released during that period. Sounds very close to one a year to me.

Well, good for you. I can totally see them throwing out Star Wars just for the sake of it. I think worrying about the quality is perfectly legitimate. Heck, the original creator couldn't always deliver, and yet people seem to think it's impossible that there could be any duds with a large corporation rotating multiple writers and directors.

If you look at James Bond and Star Trek, they've produced some terrible movies in their time. Bond has kept going by bringing in a fresh lead actor every decade or so. Star Trek has, up until the latest film, relied on the TV shows as the backbone of the franchise.

Also, the 2009 Star Trek was a reboot. Skyfall is the sequel to a reboot, and has the added bonus of being set in the real world, so there will always be contemporary events to tie in to.

And I think it's ridiculous to attack anyone who shows reasonable scepticism. I'm open-minded when it comes to more Star Wars films, but that doesn't mean I won't cast all doubts aside.

13. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    I would LOVE a Darth Bane film or trilogy. I can't say whether I think they should stop with the Skywalker Episodes until after I see the ST. I might want more if I love the new characters. I'm greedy like that. :)

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  14. Ron Fett

Ron Fett Jedi Padawan star 1

Nov 1, 2012
    I didn't mean the movie would be dumb. I meant a movie with "part 24" etc. in the title would come across as lame. Example: "Saw 7" or whatever it is.

15. Frank_TJ_Mackey

Frank_TJ_Mackey Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 6, 2000
    and I meant that people won't care at all if the movies are good.

It's only a number........

Anyway....by episode 24.....will be all dead......;)

16. ShabbaTheHutt

ShabbaTheHutt Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 8, 2013
    The original plan was i think for 9 or 12 movies with Leia and Luke's sister being two seperate characters and a bunch of other stuff going on but as I understand it, the story, excluding the prequel material, was initially condensed into the OT with some of what would have been in the later Episodes being adapted for ROTJ, some bits being picked up on by EU authors and of course some bits will no doubt be in Lucas' treatment for Episode VII.

Continue the Skywalker saga though? No I don't think so.
    Episodes I-VI is the Skywalker saga, more specifically the fall and redemption of Anakin Skywalker
    Episodes VII-IX and most likely X-XI will be someone elses tale, probably Han and Leia's granddaughter.

17. Plebeian

Plebeian Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 31, 2012
    They'll do two pre-Republic RPGs and an MMO.

18. Han Burgundy

Han Burgundy Jedi Master star 3

Jan 28, 2013
    Pre-Republic? As in before 25000 BBY?

Actually, something set in the reeeaaally ancient history of SW might be interesting. The story of the formation of the Jedi order, how they became aligned with the Republic, and how the Sith order came into being.

19. JStepp

JStepp Jedi Padawan star 2

Jun 10, 2011
    I hope they do cgi films in the same style as SWTOR's trailers. They could do that or an adult cartoon series. Just as long as its not kiddie like the Clone Wars.

starmin76 likes this.
  20. StoneRiver

StoneRiver Force Ghost star 4

Oct 6, 2004
    So after the new trilogy is done... (AKA What will Star Wars look like in 20 years?)

Well dressed. Clean clothes. Facial hair trimmed. Clean teeth. Fresh breath. Tidy fingernails.

Oh, and a very fat wallet

21. johnrain39

johnrain39 Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 30, 2012
  22. Jedi Comedian

Oct 27, 2012
    There's a reason no one makes films like that - way too expensive for anything more than a few minutes.

23. Jedi with a TARDIS

Jedi with a TARDIS Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 4, 2013
    I'm really hoping they have a solid ending for the Skywalker Saga at Episode 9. Just so long as they get a happily ever after I wouldn't mind delving into other aspects of Star Wars. A TV show would be best, along with any stand-alone films they might want to give us. But please don't try to "continue the saga" of the Skywalkers unless you know where you're going. That is the beauty of Marvel's Phase I, each movie led to The Avengers and contributed a significant plot point that forwarded the story.

The best example I can think of his the 2000 resurrection of Doctor Who, it culminated in The End of Time, wrapping up the Tenth Doctor's story and setting the stage for the next one. The beauty of this is, those who do not really care for the Eleventh Doctor at least have the comfort of having an intact story to appreciate, one with a beginning, middle and end. Something like this would be great for Star Wars. Give the Skywalkers a complete tale, then go on with someone else.

24. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002

[face_nail_biting]

Pro Scoundrel likes this.
  25. princessnikki

princessnikki Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 8, 2012
    What will Star Wars look like in 20 years? Well given the way technology seems to be moving so quickly I assume that the way we view it will change from the way we do now. I honestly expect that one day hologram technology will become advanced enough to become a part of mainstream entertainment, so even though we may not get an interactive holodeck like the ones in Star Trek, I do believe that one day we will be able to view something in a fully immersed environment and that if anyone can achieve this and make it happen it will be Disney and Lucasfilm engineers.