main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Fanclub Obi-Wan Kenobi: v4 Fan Club a/k/a Appreciation Society

Discussion in 'Star Wars Community' started by Valairy Scot, Sep 4, 2012.

1. obimom

obimom Jedi Master star 4

Oct 31, 2010
    Ash..wow...not quite what I was expecting...pretty rough...still though..I'd have to see more pics or the movie...his overall is probably adorable..as always. ;)

Veloz and serendipityaey like this.
  2. ruth baulding

ruth baulding Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 3, 2012
    No. You don't. [face_laugh] I will never look at a scruffy biker the same way again....[face_hypnotized]

3. benknobi1

benknobi1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2002
    The weirdest thing just happened - I thought exactly No, you don't as I clicked on this thread.

4. ruth baulding

Sep 3, 2012
    Whoa! Mind influence!

5. Gkilkenny

Gkilkenny Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 2004
    Ah there's a competition over here to win a walk on part in Son of a Gun, with Ewan. Wheres the pen ! Gotta find the entry form.:D

serendipityaey likes this.
  6. obimom

Oct 31, 2010
    Oh gosh...I don't know if I could do that...my heart would be thumping so hard...

but go for it Gkilkenny...and good luck!

My son wants to be an actor...I've always wondered "wouldn't it be the coolest thing if he could do a movie with Ewan..."

You know I'd be the ultimate "stage mother" :D, if I could keep the drool under control...

Well, perhaps "stage mother" is the wrong term...I don't mean the traditional kind (and nasty kind), I mean , hanging around the set to gawk and drool...that's all...;)

And if you think that would be embarrassing to my son, think again...I have never been able to embarrass him...

7. ruth baulding

Sep 3, 2012
    Oh yes, you MUST find an entry form. i wonder if you will get a tattoo and a mullet too??? Could be fun, so best of luck!!

8. serendipityaey

serendipityaey Jedi Master star 4

Jan 24, 2004
    I was going to tell you that! But I thought you'd be too far away anyway, but that would be so much fun! :D

9. serendipityaey

Jan 24, 2004

Its definitely supposed to be a rough look, but come on! From the side...no...but one look into those blue eyes and I know I would be completely lost...who cares about the hair, or what he's wearing...or not wearing...

I am really looking forward to seeing how it plays on screen! I think it's always fun to see different characters he can play :D

laloga likes this.
  10. Gkilkenny

Gkilkenny Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 2004
    I'd catch a plane, train, or drive to WA to be able to see him in the drooling flesh. Oops I'm in the wrong fan club, I know he not Obi-Wan at the moment, but no matter whether he's Obi-Wan or not he's worth following.^:)^=P~

serendipityaey likes this.
  11. obimom

Oct 31, 2010
    This may be the Obi-Wan forum, but there's plenty of Ewan drool here as well...no worries...;)

ruth baulding likes this.
  12. serendipityaey

Jan 24, 2004
    I meant to say I have been having trouble with the site too! Seems to keep going out in the afternoons

13. roguegirl

roguegirl Jedi Master star 4

Aug 29, 2001
    G
    Gilkenny,go for it,and goodluck.:)

Obimom: you'll be too busy watching Ewan to be a stage mother. :)

14. Eryndil

Eryndil Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 18, 2012
    There have been a number of outages. There's a thread about it on the comms board - apparently they are working on it to try and find out why it's happening. I decided it must be the forum telling me that I should be in bed. [face_worried]

15. Veloz

Veloz Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 30, 2004
    It's such a powerful movie and performance, isnt it? I'm really looking forward to owning this film, it's truly among my favorites of the year and probably would be even if Ewan wasnt in it. It's such a compelling story and i thought it's just a well made film. It's a shame it didnt have more nominations during the award season.

16. serendipityaey

Jan 24, 2004
    I think we were talking about his new long-haired grizzly look and withholding full judgement until we saw it in the movie :) And who knows when that will even be out!

17. Jedi Master Kenobiwan

Jedi Master Kenobiwan Force Ghost star 6

Oct 8, 2011
    Go over to the Ewan thread and check out the updates everybody. Highly recommemded.

18. hlc88

hlc88 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    Ok I need some help on fic... specifically about the Jedi Apprentice books. What exactly is Qui-Gon's reasoning for not taking Obi-Wan as his Padawan? And what changes his mind? And what is Qui-Gon's reaction to the Melida/Daan situation?

These details are important to my current fic... however I do not own the books so I'm a bit stuck... Any help would be appreciated! :)

19. benknobi1

benknobi1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2002
    Obi-Wan has some anger issues, and Qui-Gon doesn't want to have to relive another apprentice (Xanatos) turning to the dark side. After Obi-Wan and he form a bond that grows stronger, and they overcome some impossible situations together, Qui-Gon sees things differently and takes Obi-Wan as his apprentice. As far as the Melida/Daan situation is concerned, Obi-Wan believes strongly enough in one side of the civil war that he throws away his life as a Jedi and joins the young people faction. Qui-Gon leaves M/D with Tahl and without Obi-Wan. In the next book, Obi-Wan contacts his former master to help because the situation went from bad to worse after Qui-Gon left and the girl Obi-Wan has a crush on there dies. Qui-Gon is reluctant to come to the rescue, but he does eventually. When he gets there, their relationship is obviously very strained, but once everything on M/D gets fixed so to speak, they end up going back to the temple together. When they get back in the next book, Obi-Wan gets put on some kind of "Jedi probation" until he earns the Jedis trust again. I do have all the books if you are looking for something more specific.

hlc88 likes this.
  20. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    ^ Yeah, more or less.

Qui-Gon lost his "son" Xan to the dark and is moping badly, afraid to lose another apprentice and afraid he'll only be hurt if he accepts another student - he supposedly was unable to see the faults in Xan that others saw and tried to warn him of. He projects his feelings onto Obi-Wan, who like all kids of 12 and under huge pressure and some bullying, gets a bit aggressive in a duel and Qui-Gon sees this as "proof" that Obi-Wan has anger issues and will fall to the dark. He refuses to listen to the Force or other Jedi and be self-satisfied that he's only responsible for himself.

On Bandomeer, Qui-Gon begins to realize his short-sightedness and events transpire that show him he misjudged Obi-Wan.

Qui-Gon is rather the strong, silent type who still kind of holds Obi-Wan at arms length, though the relationship is cordiel enough. Qui-Gon's old clan mate, his "girlfriend" Tahl, is wounded and held captive on a mission and Qui-Gon takes Obi-Wan and goes off to rescue her (Melida/Daan). Qui-Gon is so focused on Tahl and his realization of his feelings for her (it's like she's "his life" as Anakin will later say to Padme) so he kind of puts Obi-Wan on the back burner - expects him to be the good, dutiful apprentice who needs nothing from his master but must give his all and more to save Tahl for Qui-Gon.

Obi-Wan has made friends with the M/D youngsters who are fighting their elders (the Melida and the Daan) and due to lack of emotional support from Qui-Gon, bonds with the kids and their cause. He sees it as a very Jedi mission - fighting for peace, but all Qui-Gon can think of is to flee with the wounded Tahl - her safety is more important than anything else. Now, Obi-Wan is not "blameless" here - he disobeyed orders to help the Young and later Qui-Gon's orders to get on the shuttle and return to Coruscant with him and Tahl.

On the other hand, Qui-Gon was too absorbed to see his 14 yr old apprentice needed his master's guidance and was getting caught up in a "righteous" and just series of events.

As is made clear throughout several books, Jedi "orders" are both somewhat flexible to allow for circumstances AND the good of many takes precedence over the good of one. Obi-Wan put the planet first; Qui-Gon put Tahl first and refused to consider any alternative action.

Book quote (abbreviated):
    As Yoda later says to Qui-Gon when seeking why Qui-Gon returned without Obi-Wan:

t
    So in short, Qui-Gon was afraid and projected his feelings onto Obi-Wan and his visible "flaw" of anger yet he could not deny a forming bond. Obi-Wan was sent to the Agri-Corps and Qui-Gon "coincidentally" was on the same ship to the same planet, but they were not togther.

Obi-Wan behaved impressively during a ship attack (also stupidly and impulsively at other times) when attacked by pirates. Against his will, Qui-Gon's subconscious was kicking him. Further "adventures" put them together but Qui-Gon did not tell Obi-Wan about his discoveries and in part (through ignorance), Obi-Wan was kidnapped by Xan and thrown into deep sea mining slavery...Later both confronted Xan and Qui-Gon was forced to admit he had prejudged and misjudged Obi-Wan.

Their relationship was good, but not the relationship you see in fanfic - it was rather distant and a bit silent (Qui-Gon was not a conversationalist nor one who shared info easily) and Obi-Wan was trying to be the "dutiful" apprentice.

21. Eryndil

Dec 18, 2012
    A few more quotes, just for fun...

Qui-Gon to Obi after the duel with Bruck Chun:
    "You fought...like a very dangerous man."
    "You were angry with the other boy. I sensed anger in both of you."

And when Obi asks Qui to take him as a Padawan:
    "It is better not to train a boy to become a Knight if he has so much anger. There is the risk he will turn to the dark side."

Later on, when Qui starts to see that he was wrong about Obi, we get this:
    "Why was it so hard for Qui-Gon to trust him still?
    Because I trusted another. I trusted Xanatos completely, and disaster was the result.
    The sense of loss was so great that, even now, Qui-Gon felt it like a living wound. He'd rather have taken a dozen blows from the pirate chieftain's vibro-ax than to ever feel such loss and pain again."

At the end of book two, after Obi and Qui have fought Xanatos in the mine and Qui says that he is no longer angry at Xanatos:
    "You showed me this. In the mine, when you reached out with the Force and showed me how light can always battle dark. My anger left me. In the end, you taught me something about myself. And when the Padawan teaches the Master in turn, the partnership is right."

He also says: "You would have died for me. Your courage was extraordinary, even for a Jedi."

hlc88, obimom and benknobi1 like this.
  22. Eryndil

Dec 18, 2012
    With regard to the Master-Padawan relationship, it's not openly portrayed as 'close' but there are occasional quotes that suggest affection.

After Melida/Daan, during the business with Xan on Telos, you get a few glimpses...

Qui-Gon wondering whether he was right when he had thought he couldn't prevent Obi from coming with him into danger: "But was that true? Was his own quiet gratitude what had been most important at that moment? Again, it was his own emotion that had swayed him."

Then when Obi is wondering why Qui trusts a stranger: "Qui-Gon wanted to tell him that sometimes he found it easier to read strangers than those close to him. When his heart wasn't involved, his instincts told him who could fail him, who would be true. He hoped that after this mission, he and Obi-Wan would have time to talk."

In 'Legacy of the Jedi' which is set a little bit later and also written later (when Jude Watson seemed to have softened up a bit!), Obi is described as "His second Padawan, whom he also loved."

Qui also reflects that their future relationship will not be like his with Dooku: "He saw ahead to the days when Obi-Wan would be a Jedi Knight, and he would like to be part of that." (Oh, Qui - I wish that had been possible!)

Then on the reason why Obi hasn't yet taken the Trials by TPM, it says "It was not apprehension that kept him there, but loyalty. Friendship. Love."

Even though Qui isn't exactly demonstrative in the JA books, he certainly seems a lot more emotional than he was in TPM!

hlc88, obimom and benknobi1 like this.
  23. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    {emphasis mine}

Um, yeah - very understated. Qui-Gon seems very much a teacher (a less than perfect one, but a definitely adequate one) in the early books. It takes a while for the relationship to progress to some openness although it never really reaches a bantering stage - I think Obi-Wan is only 18 or so during the last book.

I don't how much of JA is heavily influenced by its readership target (kids): it's pretty simplistic overall. Nearly every fanfic has done it much better, but the target is more mature. The biggest problem with JA is its supposed to be Jedi Apprentice but it's really focused on Jedi Master Qui-Gon (JW's admitted favorite character) and in some books, is very heavy on Tahl and Qui-Gon. Obi-Wan is the "afterthought" in some of the books.

obimom and benknobi1 like this.
  24. Eryndil

Dec 18, 2012
    I think that the JA books suffer a lot from being written for kids - they are indeed very simplistic and don't really develop the characters very well. You have to go looking for the meaningful interactions between Qui and Obi, and use your imagination to decide what lies behind them. At least it leaves a lot for fanfic writers to interpret and expand on! Probably just as well since, as you say, the fanfics are often much better. Still, these are the only published stories that focus on Obi's early Padawan years, and something is better than nothing!

obimom likes this.
  25. obimom

Oct 31, 2010

agreed. I did find myself many times wishing she had been able to delve more into their character and relationship...I found myself enjoying the story in one way, but finding it lackign in another...wanting more...thats where FF filled in the gaps. (Very well, too, in most cases!) :)