main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Luke's son to kill Luke?

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Darth slaughter, Feb 26, 2013.

1. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Luke: I've been meaning to give you this. It's your very own lightsaber.
    Son: Wow! That's so cool dad! Thanks! Do I press this button right here?!
    Luke: Ye- Wait! I still haven't given it to you ye-AAAAAARRG!
    Son: Oh no dad! I cut you in half! This is terrible!
    Luke: That's ok son. Just get some duct tape and-
    (dies)
    Son: I defy you force!

Critic: HAHAHA and y'all thought Lucas's dialogue was terrible?

2. Leias_Left_Bun

Leias_Left_Bun Jedi Master star 4

Feb 18, 2013
    That plot twist is way too dark. The PT really suffered from being overly gloomy. The last thing we need is for the ST to turn into a story of family members killing each other.

Maybe something happens to Luke (or Han, or Leia) where the child feels responsible, like he didn't do enough to save his parent and carries guilt as a result. Kind of like what happened with Anakin Solo and Chewie, except with good writing.

thesevegetables likes this.
  3. Jedifirefly5

Jedifirefly5 Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 5, 2012

Bull. They have the all important whiny Skywalker genes. And they will be soft spoiled brats of famous people just like Jacen was.

4. Jedifirefly5

Jedifirefly5 Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 5, 2012

So how are we supposed to have joyful, treason, genocide, murder, wife beating and funerals again?

5. yggdrasil311

yggdrasil311 Jedi Master star 3

Oct 7, 2004
    Maybe Luke becomes the White Knight, and just "moves on" within the Force. Doesn't die, transcends Force Ghost-ness, and finds out the "true immortality" that the Emperor talked about.

I really wouldn't want Luke to die. He was my original Star Wars hero, and always will be. I'd be very upset and angry if they shat on him like that. I mean, think really hard about it. Would you really want Luke to die? And, can you think of a good reason to kill him? Would some new villian killing him be the way to show a new villian's power?

Again, it goes back to repeating storylines in this saga. I hope they don't do it now and the Imagineers come up with some new clever ideas for the stories.

6. Darth kRud

Darth kRud Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 1, 2012
    Thats funny, I thought they were largely childish wihch made the 'gloomy' parts feel forced. Like the love story. That was gloomy.

Anyhow, on the subject of gloom- if you were to tell the story of Darth Vader what would you do? Make it an uplifting story?

7. Leias_Left_Bun

Feb 18, 2013
    My sarcasm-meter is a little off tonight. You are being facetious, yes?

I guess we'll just have to settle for joyful bonding, humor, victory, and positive character development. I know it can't hold a candle to joyful force-choking your pregnant wife, but we'll have to make do.

8. Leias_Left_Bun

Feb 18, 2013
    Well, gloomy and childish are not mutually exclusive.

There is no way to tell the story of Anakin/Darth without making it a tragedy. But it could have been a great tragedy. Hamlet is gloomy. So is Macbeth. So is King Lear. The first two Godfather movies are gloomy, especially Godfather 2, but they are also considered masterpieces of modern cinema and Michael Corleone is one of the great tragic characters of all time. Anakin Skywalker is not, IMO, which is why I consider the PT a wasted opportunity.

9. Darth Venator

Darth Venator Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 1, 2013
    Whilst I'm not hugely in favour of killing off any of the original cast - a part of me can see it happening.

It all depends on their plans for the franchise - if they really want to run with a new generation, it would make some sense (and provide some interesting character motivation) to 'close the loop' of the OT - and Luke's death may just do that. Though if his offspring HAD to be responsible, I'd rather it be a foolish lapse of judgement ending in Luke's death, provoking his son to change his ways; as opposed to the outright murder of his father. Alternatively, he could simply pass of old age or illness, they could work just as well.

In my eyes, I'd want to see him follow the same path as Obi Wan, complete resignation to his fate and 'becoming more powerful than we could possibly imagine.'

...Cue spirit Luke for Episode IX!

Oh and, as a side note... I don't even want to TRY and imagine that death scene. Seeing as Arndt made Toy Story 3 heart-wrenching, I dread the thought of a Skywalker funeral...

10. Darth kRud

Darth kRud Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 1, 2012
    There's a market for that. The Anakin "joyful force choking pregnant wife action figure" will sell to the disgruntled husband type. That's a great idea! There's something for everyone. Dumb people can buy the battle droid action figures. My 6 year old can buy little baby pod racing Anakin action boy. Jimmie Smits can buy, well, the Jimmie Smits action figure. The anti-christ can buy Jar Jar action figures. Little girls can get the pregnant wife action figure!

11. cbagmjg

cbagmjg Jedi Knight star 3

Jul 12, 2006
    Considering their ages, it could revolve around their grandchildren.

Sent from my LG-VM696 using Tapatalk 2

12. DarthMateous

DarthMateous Jedi Master star 4

Aug 1, 2002
    Yup. If Lucas has a say in it....and believe me he will...Luke will NOT have a son. In Lucas's version of Star Wars (Not some random EU author's version), Jedi aren't allowed to marry.
    Lucas's made it VERY clear that marriage and attachment are forbidden for a Jedi.

The whole reason for Anakin's fall to the Dark Side was his attachment to Padme. He "made a deal with the devil" in an attempt to save her life.
    Anakin's whole story is a cautionary tale of what happens when you let your attachment (and your fear of loss) go too far.

The Jedi realize that attachments cloud people's judgements and can cause them to make bad decisions with negative (and possibly severe) consequences. (See Anakin)
    Committing to being a Jedi is the ultimate sacrificing of one's self (And one's individual needs and desires) for the greater good of the will of the force and ultimately the galaxy.

So I'm convinced that Luke will not have any kids and will not be married. My best guess is that he'll be in charge of the rebuilding Jedi Order and that he will either be seeking out potential Jedi or they will be seeking him out.

13. johnrain39

johnrain39 Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 30, 2012
    The kid should be the next Podracing champ.

14. Darth Venator

Darth Venator Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 1, 2013
    Only if we get a rebrand of the Podracer arcade machine with the huge handles!

[​IMG]
    Now that WAS podracing!

15. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003

But it was the attachment between father and son that defeated the Sith ultimately .

Sidious and Dooku became evil without attachments .

I think Luke would have the opinion that the Jedi rules are open to change .

16. Trebor Sabreon

Trebor Sabreon Former Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 15, 2010
    Yeah, I was going to say...

I mean, Lucas made it clear that for the Jedi of the doomed old Order, attachment was forbidden, yes, but didn't Luke's dealings with his father turn all of this on its head? 'No attachments' is a fine idea in theory, but both Anakin and Luke, through their respective choices, proved the folly of such a mandate, especially when dealing with living, breathing, thinking, feeling (and yes, flawed) people. I think that, as with most anything else in life, it's all about balance.

Does this mean that Luke will have a child in the ST? No, of course it does not, but if Luke Skywalker does end up without children, I, for one, wouldn't put it down to the 'no attachments' policy of old. As a wise man, it will be something Luke will had to have considered - meditated on, even - but I can't for the life of me see how the ramifications of his choices on his father's redemption would be lost on Luke.

17. DarthMateous

Aug 1, 2002
    Even thought that's a possibility, I'm highly skeptical that will happen.

18. gezvader28

Mar 22, 2003
    Well it happened to King Arthur .

19. DarthMateous

Aug 1, 2002

Good points. But Luke's attachment didn't keep him from doing what was right. He had a choice. Kill Vader or Redeem him. I think Any Jedi, when given the choice, would prefer to redeem a fallen Jedi over killing them. However, the difference between Luke and the other Jedi was that Luke believed Vader could be redeemed.

Luke truly was more like Obi-Wan. Even when Obi-Wan was fighting the newly-ordained Darth Vader, he tried to do everything he could to avoid killing Anakin. He tried every way possible to avoid killing Vader and to reason with him. It was clear Obi-Wan would have preferred to redeem Vader. In essence, Luke was able to redeem Anakin in part because of the seeds that Obi-Wan had already planted.

That said, rebuilding the Jedi Order (I'm assuming that will be Luke's primary role) is a HUGE undertaking. Even if Luke decided that idea of Jedi marrying was allowed (which I don't think he will), I don't think he would even remotely have time to have a relationship, get married, be a husband or a father. I imagine he will be 100% committed to re-establishing the order free from any distraction outside of his task.

Also, Yoda's LAST words to Luke were:

"Luke, when gone am I... the last of the Jedi will you be. Luke, the Force runs strong in your family. Pass on what you have learned, Luke."

20. Trebor Sabreon

Trebor Sabreon Former Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 15, 2010
    Indeed. I would argue that the attachment to his father assisted Luke in making the right choice.

And I agree about the grand undertaking that is the rebuilding of a New Jedi Order. If Luke doesn't have a child, I think this may be more the reason why.

DarthMateous likes this.
  21. gezvader28

Mar 22, 2003
    is it actually stated in the films that the Jedi can't marry ? It would seem odd if that is the case since we know that the Force runs in families and therefore the Jedi would want to pass it on wouldn't they ?

22. thesevegetables

thesevegetables Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 11, 2012
    Look what happened with Leia's kids.
    Better safe than sorry.

23. gezvader28

Mar 22, 2003
    what happened ? I don't really keep up with the EU.

24. thesevegetables

thesevegetables Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 11, 2012
    Leia and Han had three kids, strong in the Force and smart. Anakin died while he was still a kid. Jaina and Jacen became skilled Jedi Knights.
    Jacen joined the Sith, became Darth Caedus, caused a lot of trouble for the galaxy, including taking over (Sith controlling government...AGAIN!), killed Mara Jade (Luke's wife), Jaina had to kill Jacen.
    Jacen also fathered a child with the Hapan queen. Causing more political troubles. Serious ones.
    Would have been so much simpler if they had stuck to the old code.

25. immertreu

immertreu Jedi Master star 2

Feb 4, 2012
    Just to clarify: Anakin was a Jedi Knight as well. He died on a mission during the Yuuzhan Vong war when he was about 16, I think.

I'm with @yggdrasil311. Why should Luke's son kill him?

I don't see any reason other than the "oh, they finally did it!"-effect which would be pretty stupid in my eyes. I've never understood the fascination with killing off one of the main characters. Why can't they just ride into the sunset and live on forever, at least in our imagination? I have enough death in my life, I don't need it on screen.

Losing one of my favorite characters in any movie, series, book or whatever is always THE reason for me to stop following it, so I hope they don't do it. Call me sentimental, but I want Luke and the other two of the Big Three to end their lives in peace - off-screen.

TreborSabreon likes this.