main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Canderous and Cade's Crazy Cantina: a shiny new fanfiction social thread!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Commander-DWH, Aug 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    My pic from yesterday will have to wait. It will be in all the local newspapers. I am now a retired firefighter and got decorated by the mayor (acting as representative of the queen) and am now a member of Oranje Nassau

2. Ceillean

Ceillean Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 13, 2001
    [​IMG]

Since we're showing pictures of our pets...this is baby. The best dog in the world. She passed away a few years ago. Still...she won't ever be forgotten. :)

LexiLupin and earlybird-obi-wan like this.
  3. Ceillean

Nov 13, 2001
    A firefighter, huh? That's pretty damned respectable. Congrats! [:D]

4. Dantana Skywalker

Dantana Skywalker Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 7, 2002
    . . . What in the heck did I just watch???

5. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    Perhaps it is a good thing I've avoided that meme for as long as possible. I'll stick with Gangnam Style, thanks. :p

6. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    WOW early-bird, that is pretty awesome.

Also, you want something really messed up? here, from my former school:

7. Ceillean

Nov 13, 2001
    Evidently, the Harlem Shake. :p I warned you. It's stupid.[face_laugh]
    And I don' t get it. I absolutely do not get this.

8. Commander-DWH

Commander-DWH Manager Emeritus star 4

Nov 3, 2003
    Truthfully, I think by supporting CGI artists and demanding we get paid what we're worth, that will actually cause a rise in more classical and practical techniques, because it will no longer be dirt cheap to just hire a VFX house to do simple things. I don't think a lot of people realize how many mundane things are accomplished via VFX anymore, and how silly it is that it's cheaper to greenscreen real world scenarios, of people walking down sidewalks, than it is to get a permit to just go and film on a gorram sidewalk. Studios demand digital because it's more cost effective, but it's more cost effective because there's no regulation and no minimum standard for what we have to be paid, and how long we are allowed to work.

I'm really lucky. I work for one of the biggest studios, and it has a production company attached to it so as long as I'm working for something that's all or at least mostly in-house, they don't try to exploit us. Animated films are completely in house, and they are friggin' magical. But even here, if we're working for an unreasonable client (I'm mostly looking at a singing, dancing mouse with his own amusement park here...), we get forced into working the most demented hours. I disappeared completely at the beginning of the year because I was at work, basically all the time. 18 consecutive days with no break, and I was one of the lucky employees that only had to work 10 hour days.

Overtime to that degree, legally, is supposed to be voluntary, but it's not really. Not if you want to keep your job.

So yes, reform is definitely in order, and that's why my avatar is currently a green that kind of hurts my eyes, too. And sorry for the late reply; I've been making a billion artist demo reels. When the movie is done, my job doesn't end. :p

Iverna likes this.
  9. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    Yeah, he is Sith.

10. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    Bleagh. Harlem Shake. In general, I use Youtube SPARINGLY for reasons like that.

Got part of the day off today, so got up early, worked out with a friend, then played Mariokart and had a bagel. Got to work, got to my lunch break and discovered that my lunch was still on the counter at home. I enjoyed it when I got back from work.

11. Dantana Skywalker

Apr 7, 2002
    I got excited about seeing that my fanfic archive had 187 members. Then I realised that approximately 180 of them are spammers. And I have to delete them manually, one. at. a. time.

12. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    I have no pet to show a picture of. :(

I've not been around too much the last week... my grandmother died, and while she was 98 so it wasn't completely unexpected, she had been pretty healthy up until then. Also work has been crazy with a strange infulx of patients so it's been non-stop 12 hour shift where you are lucky to scarf down something to eat in 5 minutes. (Today, so far has been nice, thankfully!)

But on the fun side... Friday night I went to see The Glass Menagerie starring Zachary Quinto ([face_love] ) and Cherry Jones. The prediction is that this production will go to Broadway this spring and I really think it should... it was fantastic!

13. Iverna

Iverna Jedi Master star 4

Feb 20, 2008
    Pictures of cats! Aww. Mirax looks so unimpressed, but she's gorgeous. :D Fuzzball fighting Luke made me giggle, that's a cute picture.

What're your cats called, LexiLupin?

Here's a few of mine... Rogue in the bag is the only good picture I have of him. He'll sit still all day, until I point a camera at him. I guess he's modest.
    [​IMG]

Kaylee's way more photogenic, so you get a few pics of her, because she sleeps in the weirdest positions. She'll even let me cover her with a jumper blanket. Weirdo.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

LexiLupin, Goodwood and Jedi_Lover like this.
  14. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    Sorry to hear about your grandmother, mav. Mine passed away at 93 and had outlived her husband by several years, so while it was not unexpected due to age, it was unexpected. I had seen her a few days before and she seemed no worse than usual, but then my dad texted me to let me know she'd passed away in the night.

I love seeing productions before they hit Broadway. I saw Allegiance with Lea Salonga and George Takei and really hope it goes to Broadway.

mavjade likes this.
  15. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    mavjade -- I am sorry for your loss.

I always get a kick out of how cats can sleep in the most uncomfortable positions. Kaylee looks like she is saying, "Turn off the lights!"

Dantana Skywalker likes this.
  16. Dantana Skywalker

Apr 7, 2002
    I love calicos. We have one and she's the sweetest thing ever.

17. LLL

LLL Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 16, 2000
    Welcome to these United States. I love our new cultural attitude these last 30 years.

18. Alexis_Wingstar

Alexis_Wingstar Jedi Master star 4

Sep 16, 2006
    Congratulations. So, you get to wear this now?

19. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    My weekend long sinus headache has killed my muse! :_| I'm also dealing with bad news on the home front, which sucks. I don't feel like doing anything but sleep...but I can't sleep because of my sinus headache. Which sucks even more.

20. LexiLupin

LexiLupin Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 27, 2011
    The tabby is Sekhmet (high-five to anyone who knows where that comes from without Googling :p), the tuxedo is Luna.
    They like to play...[​IMG] ...[​IMG]...and groom...

...and pass out after a hard day: [​IMG]
    :D [face_love]

LLL likes this.
  21. Alexis_Wingstar

Alexis_Wingstar Jedi Master star 4

Sep 16, 2006
    All these pictures of these adorable kitties are putting me in a melancholy mood... our the kitten who adopted us disappeared last summer.

22. Dantana Skywalker

Apr 7, 2002
    Aw, I'm sorry, Alexis!

Okay, got some pics of my cats uploaded. I have tried and tried to get these to resize, but they won't, sorry!

First up is Baby. She passed away last year. I had her 19 years. She was a brat, but I adored her. Her motto was "If I fits, I sits!"
    [​IMG]

Our current kitties, Patches (the calico) and Miwer (the black one). They're both very sweet and very well-behaved. Miw likes being under blankets.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Patches, on the other hand, is dumb as a post and overly affectionate. Here she is stuck in the fireplace.
    [​IMG]

And "helping" my mother with some homework reading.
    [​IMG]

Iverna likes this.
  23. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    As I said, I don't have a pet currently, but here is a pic of the dog my parents had to put down last year, at almost 18 years old, we got him when I was 9 so he was pretty much like my brother. ;) His name was Argus.

[​IMG]

And on the topic of cats... which usually don't like me, here is a picture I took of one that does. She's my best friends cat, named Pinball:

[​IMG]

24. Dantana Skywalker

Apr 7, 2002
    Aw, Angus looks like a sweetie. It's always so hard to lose a pet, especially one you've had so long.

25. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    Since you're all sharing cat pictures, I thought I'd share this one. Believe it or not, she's actually lying on the stairs, not going down them or going anywhere, just lying there.
    [​IMG]

Iverna and Jedi_Lover like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.