main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

MINIS [Fantasy Flight Games] Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by The Loyal Imperial, Sep 7, 2012.

1. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    [​IMG]
    With its pivotal role at the Battle of Yavin, the Incom Corporation T-65 X-wing fighter claimed its place in history. Boasting high-powered laser cannons, proton torpedo launchers, and a reinforced titanium-alloy hull, this solid and dependable craft has earned its reputation as a staple in the Rebel Alliance's arsenal against the Galactic Empire.

The Sienar Fleet Systems TIE fighter, a lightweight and nimble starfighter designed with efficiency and affordability in mind, is the X-wing's opposite in nearly every conceivable way. But what the TIE fighter lacks in defensive capabilities, it more than makes up for in numbers. While one TIE fighter seldom presents a real threat to a skilled Rebel pilot, two or more working in concert can quickly overwhelm ships several times their size.

[​IMG]

Control the most advanced starfighters and outstanding pilots in the galaxy! In X-Wing Miniatures Game, you take the role of squad leader and command a group of merciless Imperial or daring Rebel pilots in furious ship-to-ship space combat. Featuring stunningly detailed and painted miniatures, X-Wing recreates exciting Star Wars space battles from small engagements of only a couple of crafts, to large conflicts where multiple squadrons clash. Select and equip your ships, pick your crew, plan your attack, and complete your mission.

Intuitive rules have you fighting in minutes

“We'll have to destroy them ship to ship. Get the crews to their fighters.”

–Darth Vader

X-Wing
    includes everything you need to begin your battles, such as thirteen Ship cards (featuring nine Imperial and four Rebel pilots), five Upgrade cards, and three fully assembled and painted ships. With the quick-start rules, you can simply select one of the exciting missions, position your ships on the playing space as instructed, and choose your opening move.​
    Fast and visceral, X-Wing puts you in the middle of fierce Star Wars firefights. Use each craft’s unique maneuver dial to secretly plot its movement action for each turn. After each player has locked in his movement decisions, the dials are revealed and ships are moved starting with the lowest skilled pilots. Pepper the enemy with blaster fire as you rush into the dogfight, or move into combat range slowly, attaining deadly target locks before you launch a devastating attack. No matter your plan of attack, you’ll be in total control throughout the tense action.​
    To move your ships, simply use the maneuver template guide that corresponds to the maneuver you've chosen for a given turn. First, place the starting end of the movement guide flush with the base of your craft. Then, pick up your miniature and place it at the end of the template. After all the ships have moved, you're free to determine attacks against any enemies in range. This straightforward mechanic delivers a wealth of tactical depth; make sharp turns, execute amazing Koiogran turns, and outmaneuver your opponent!​
    [​IMG]

Choose your crew and arm your starfighters

“That little droid and I have been through a lot together.”

–Luke Skywalker​
    Build your own squadron using X-Wing’s advanced rules to select your favorite starfighters, pilots, and upgrades. Before the game begins, you’ll have a set amount of Fleet Points to invest, which you may spend to customize your squad. Whether you enter the fight with a Rookie Pilot, an experienced Red Squadron Pilot, or even the resourceful Luke Skywalker, you’ll have a range of options before you even fire up your engines. Moreover, arm your ships with astromech droids, extra weapons, or special skills, which have a significant impact on your fighter’s battle performance.​
    [​IMG]
    For example, while the powerful X-wing can establish a target lock on Imperial starfighters, increasing its offensive potential on a future attack, only the nimble TIE fighter can execute an evasive barrel roll to avoid incoming fire. For additional firepower, add lethal proton torpedoes to your X-wing, or increase the performance of your TIE fighters with additional skills like Marksmanship. These unique actions, along with a range of special upgrades, help create a unique play experience every time.

Recreate the most memorable battles in the galaxy

“Evacuate? In our moment of triumph? I think you overestimate their chances.”

–Grand Moff Tarkin​
    X-Wing can be played in a variety of ways. Select one of the thrilling missions in the rulebook for a narrative game, or dogfight with your opponent until only one ship remains. You can even create your own exciting scenarios or recreate a mission based on one of the epic battles from the films. No matter how you play X-Wing, only the most clever pilots employing a range of tactics will emerge victorious.​
    What's more, no mission will ever play the same way twice, thanks to a range of customization options, varied maneuvers, and possible combat outcomes. Damage, for example, is determined through dice and applied in the form of a shuffled Damage deck. Most damage results require you to draw a Damage card and place it facedown by the ship’s card as a reminder the ship has been hit; however, each time your fighter sustains a critical hit, you'll draw a Damage card and place it faceup by the ship’s card. Critical hits assign a special handicap. Was your targeting computer damaged, affecting your ability to acquire a lock on the enemy? Perhaps an ill-timed weapon malfunction will limit your offensive capabilities. Or worse yet, your pilot could be injured, compromising his ability to focus on the life-and-death struggle in which he is engaged...​
    With its dynamic rules system, beautifully detailed components, and range of gameplay options, X-Wing immerses players in the tense cinematic excitement of Star Wars' interplanetary combat. Take to the stars, and decide the fate of the galaxy!​

2. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    The manuever template concept reminds me a lot of Games Workshop's Aeronautica Imperialis game- but the dial is a bit different, as are damage cards.

3. Jedi_Dajuan

Jedi_Dajuan Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 30, 2002
    We're going to try the game out tomorrow. In preparation I have created a star field playing space. It's a 3'x3' black felt square with sheer glittery fabric over it. hothie helped pick out the fabric. I think it's rather pretty. I'm thinking about making some other play fields too. Some ideas: in a planet's atmo, black hole, worm hole field (for a 4 player, 2 map game), asteroid field. I'm open to suggestions too.

[​IMG]

4. The Loyal Imperial

Nov 19, 2007
    Death Star and Yavin background?

5. Jedi_Dajuan

Dec 30, 2002
    Hmmm, challenging but a good one. Would that be two maps or just one?

6. The Loyal Imperial

Nov 19, 2007
    One would look better, I think. Perhaps the moon overlapping the gas giant overlapping the Death Star.

7. Jedi_Dajuan

Dec 30, 2002
    I get what you're saying, but I can't visualize it.

8. The Loyal Imperial

Nov 19, 2007
    New announcement:​
    Fantasy Flight Games is proud to announce the second wave of expansions for the Star Wars: X-Wing™ Miniatures Game.
    The Millennium Falcon Expansion Pack, Slave I™ Expansion Pack, A-Wing™ Expansion Pack, and TIE Interceptor™ Expansion Pack are scheduled to arrive in the fourth quarter of 2012. First unveiled at Gen Con Indy 2012, these fantastic miniatures of iconic starfighters thrilled onlookers and will add exciting new strategies to your games of X-Wing!​
    Millennium Falcon™ Expansion Pack
    Fly the legendary Millennium Falcon into fast-paced battles for the fate of the galaxy! The Millennium Falcon Expansion Pack for the Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game allows players to blast through hyperspace with Han, Chewie, Lando, Nien Nunb, and more.​
    The Millennium Falcon isn’t just any YT-1300. It is easily one of the most iconic and recognizable starships of all time, and it comes with four pilot cards, fourteen upgrades, and all requisite tokens. New rules expand the X-Wing galaxy to include unique starfighters, ships with larger bases, turret weapons, faction specific upgrades, and special modifications. With its new rules, pilots, and lovingly detailed miniature, the Millennium Falcon Expansion Pack is a beautiful addition to the X-Wing game.​
    [​IMG]
    Slave I™ Expansion Pack
    Originally intended as a prisoner transport, the Firespray-31 gained notoriety through association with some of the galaxy’s most fearsome pirates and bounty hunters, including the infamous Boba Fett. Just like Fett, the Slave I Expansion Pack for X-Wing is full of deadly surprises.​
    The Slave I Expansion Pack allows players to take advantage of the Firespray’s versatile armament and heavy armor plating, as well as a host of lethal new upgrades. Imperial players can choose to arm this starfighter with a range of missiles, ion cannons, heavy laser cannons, and bombs. Slave I comes with a detailed miniature, four pilot cards, thirteen upgrades, and all requisite tokens. New rules and a new mission further expand your games of X-Wing!​
    [​IMG]
    A-Wing™ Expansion Pack
    Conceived by General Dodonna, the RZ-1 A-wing interceptor proved its worth by crippling Star Destroyers during the Battle of Endor. Now this highly maneuverable starfighter adds another exciting dimension to Rebel squadrons in the Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game.​
    The A-Wing Expansion Pack introduces one A-wing miniature with four pilots and five upgrades, as well as the tactically compelling “Boost” action. Only the most talented pilots belong in an A-wing cockpit, and Rebel aces like Tycho Celchu push this sleek starfighter to its limits as they seek to gain every advantage it can give them in the galaxy’s deadliest dogfights!​
    [​IMG]
    TIE Interceptor™ Expansion Pack
    Imperial players can add a lethal new starfighter to their X-Wing squadrons with the TIE Interceptor Expansion Pack. The finest mass-produced starfighter of its time, the TIE interceptor excels at dogfighting thanks to its heightened maneuverability, increased speed, and four wing-mounted laser cannons that easily allow it to outgun its predecessors.​
    The TIE interceptor brings more to the table, though, than just its armaments. It features six skullful new pilots, including the renowned Imperial ace, Soontir Fel. The starfighter’s “Boost” action affords tremendous tactical freedom, and the pack’s daredevil pilots can wrench maneuvers of the ship its designers at Sienar Fleet Systems may have never imagined. With its detailed miniature, two upgrades, and new pilots, the TIE Interceptor Expansion Pack creates exciting opportunities for all Imperial players.​
    [​IMG]
    The Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game brings the galaxy’s greatest space battles to your tabletop, and they’re only going to get hotter with the game’s second wave of starfighters, each of which has been accurately rendered at the same 1/270 scale as those from the game’s Core Set.​
    Look for the Millennium Falcon Expansion Pack, Slave I Expansion Pack, A-Wing Expansion Pack, and TIE Interceptor Expansion Pack to arrive at retailers everywhere later in the fourth quarter of 2012!​

9. hothie

hothie Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 12, 2004
    Those were on display at C6 as well.

Played 3 games yesterday. Some of the xwing/ywing combos are interesting, but the way the game is played it seems the optimal squad is Dark Curse TIE with 7 academy pilots. More ships means more shots, which in the end is what mattered with dice rolling.

10. Jedi_Dajuan

Dec 30, 2002
    The insane evades did make the game go on longer than it should have. I need to try some other X-Wing combos. Astromechs were rather worthless in my game. They help with movement which didn't come into play much with my game.

We're considering going to Fantasy Flight's championship in November to play and meet people.

11. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    Just picked this up, going to try it out with a friend in a few hours. If I have the cash, I may grab another starter and set of the 4 boosters.
    Looking forward to the next wave. Falcon having Han, Lando, and what seems to be generic options will be awesome.
    Hopefully the next wave will be Tie Bomber, B-Wing, Tie Avenger, and Z-95. As for bigger sized ships, Outrider is an obvious choice. Then they can start getting into more of the fun fighters, like Starwings, TIE Defenders, E-Wings, and K-Wings.

12. Jedi_Dajuan

Dec 30, 2002
    I'd like to see ships from other eras. Naboo starfighters would be cool (love that ship). I heard we're getting Baron Fel in the near future too.

13. AdmiralWesJanson

May 23, 2005
    What I can tell from those images as far as pilots:
    Falcon:
    Han Solo and Chewbacca
    Lando and Nien Numb
    YT-1300
    unknown
    Slave One:
    Boba Fett
    3 unknowns
    A-Wing:
    Tycho Celchu
    Green Squadron
    Unique pilot (Arven Crynyd?)
    unknown squadron
    TIE Interceptor:
    Avenger Squadron
    Saber Squadron
    Baron Fel
    Turr Phennir
    Fresh Recruit
    unknown unique.

14. hothie

Jun 12, 2004
    Here is what the Millenium Falcon insert says:

Unique names: This expansion pack includes Ship cards and Upgrade cards with unique names, as indicated by the bullet to the left of the card's name. As with other cards that have unique names, a player cannot field two or more cards that share the same unique name, even if they are different types of cards. (this applies to Chewbacca, because he has both a ship card and an upgrade card)
    Turret Primary Weapon: Each ship in this pack uses a turret as its primary weapon. Thus, each Ship card shows the TURRET PRIMARY WEAPON icon, and each ship token shows a circular red arrow as a reminder. (new symbol)
    When attacking with the turret primary weapon, a ship may target an enemy ship inside or outside its firing arc. When attackiing with a secondary weapon, the ship must still target a ship inside its firing arc, unless specified otherwise on the Upgrade card.
    Modifications and Titles: Modifications and titles are special upgrades that do not appear in any ship's upgrade bar. Any ship may equip a modification or title unless the card is restricted to a specific type of ship. Each ship is limited to one modification and one title.
    Faction-Restricted Upgrades: some of the Upgrade cards in this expansion pack are labeled "Rebel only." Cards with this label cannot be fielded in Imperial squads.
    Large ships: The Millenium Falcon has a ship base that is larger than those found in the X-wing core set. Such ships are classified as large ships and use the following rules:
    Ion Tokens: Some card abilities may cause a ship to receive an ion token. A large ship is unaffected by a single ion token; the ion token simply remains assigned to the ship. When a large ship has two or more ion tokens assigned to it, it suffers the ion token effect as normal. Then the player removes all ion token from the ship at the end of the Activation phase.
    Overlapping: Large ships follow standard rules for overlapping other ships. When a large ship would overlap another ship, simply move the large ship along the template as normal, being sure to use the center of the ship's base to estimate its correct position and orientation.
    Setup: Large ships follow all standard setup rules. However, during setup a large ship's base may extend outside of Range 1 as long as it has filled the length of that area.
    A large ship cannot be placed with any portion of its base outside the play area. The ship figure may extend outside the play area at any time as long as the base remains in the play area.
    Large ship setup example: The Rebel player chooses to diagonally place his YT-1300 in the setup area. He ensures that a corner of the ship's base is touching his edge of the play area, and then he freely adjusts his ship until it is pointing in the desired direction.
    There is a new mission, but I kinda don't want to type it all out. Sorry. maybe someone else can.
    YT-1300 Maneuvers:
    1 turn left/right (white)
    1 bank left/right (green)
    1 straight (green)
    2 turn left/right (white)
    2 bank left/right (white)
    2 straight (green)
    3 bank left/right (white)
    3 straight (white)
    3 koiogran (red)
    4 straight (white)
    4 koiogran (red)
    That's it for the insert. Will type up cards in other posts.

15. hothie

Jun 12, 2004
    Pilot cards:
    Boost action reference card:
    This card explains the rules for performing a boost action. Ships with the (symbol) icon in their action bar may perform a boost action. To boost, follow these steps:
    1. Choose the 1 straight or 1 bank right/left maneuver template
    2. Set the maneuver template between the ship's front guides.
    3. Move the ship to the opposite end of the template and slide the rear guides of the ship into the template.
    Performing a boost does not count as executing a maneuver. A ship cannot boost if this would cause its base to overlap with another ship's base or an obstacle token.
    Outer Rim Smuggler-Rebel, Pilot Skill 1, Primary Weapon 2, Agility 1, Hull 6, Shields 4, Action bar-focus and target lock, cost 27, Upgrade bar- 2 pilot cards.
    Chewbacca-Rebel, Pilot Skill 5, PW 3, Agility 1, Hull 8, Shields 5, Action bar-focus and target lock, cost 42, Upgrade bar-2 Pilot cards, 1 Missile, 1 Medal
    Pilot Ability-When you are dealt a faceup Damage card, immediately flip it facedown without resolving its ability.
    Lando Calrissian-Rebel, Pilot Skill 7, PW 3, Agility 1, Hull 8, Shields 5, cost 44, Action bar-focus and target lock, Upgrade bar-2 Pilot cards, 1 Missile, 1 Medal
    Pilot Ability-After you execute a green maneuver, choose 1 other friendly ship at range 1. That ship may perform 1 free action shown in its action bar.
    Han Solo-Rebel, Pilot Skill 9, PW 3, Agility 1, Hull 8, Shields 5,cost 46, Action bar-focus and target lock, Upgrade bar-2 Pilot cards, 1 Missile, 1 Medal
    Pilot Ability-When attacking, you may reroll all of your dice. If you choose to do so, you must reroll as many of your dice as possible.

16. hothie

Jun 12, 2004
    Upgrade cards:
    Pilot Cards:
    Nien Nunb-cost 1, Rebel Only, You may treat all straight maneuvers as green maneuvers
    Weapons Engineer-cost 3, You may maintain 2 target locks (only 1 per enemy ship.) When you acquire a target lock, you may lock onto 2 different ships.
    Chewbacca-cost 4, Rebel only, When you are dealt a damage card, you may immediately discard that card and recover 1 shield. Then, discard thisUpgrade card.
    Luke Skywalker-cost 7, Rebel Only, After you perform an attack that does not hit, immediately perform a primary weapon attack. You may change 1 Focus result into a Hit result. You cannot perform another attack this round.
    Title card: Millenium Falcon. YT-1300 Only. Title. Cost 1. Your action bar gains the Evade action icon.
    Modification cards:
    Shield Upgrade-Modification. Cost 4. Increase your shield value by 1. (pack comes with 2 cards)
    Engine Upgrade-Modification card. Cost 4. Your action bar gains the Boost action icon. (pack comes with 2 cards.)
    Missile card:
    Assault Missiles-Cost 5. Secondary Weapon value 4. range 2-3. Attack [target lock]: Spend your target lock and discard this card to perform this attack. If this attack hits, each other ship at Range 1 of the defender suffers 1 damage.
    Medal cards:
    Draw Their Fire-Cost 1. When a friendly ship at Range 1 is hit by an attack, you may suffer 1 of the uncancelled critical hit results instead of the target ship.
    Elusiveness-Cost 2. When defending, you may receive 1 stress token to choose 1 attack die. The attacker must reroll that die. If you have at least 1 stress token, you cannot use this ability. (side thought, not sure how that interacts with rerolling dice only once rule. Will have to bring that up in a Rules thread.)
    Veteran Instincts-Cost 1. increase you pilot skill value by 2.
    Well, I think that's it. Have fun planning…:)

17. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Has anyone seen how Gawd-awful expensive these things are? £10 for a single. It was £14 a box for the previous miniatures set... and Micro Machines were even cheaper! Some of these 'updated' mini's are using the same moulds. Somewhat of a criticism from me, here, though it all looks very nice.

18. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    Wait these things are 10 pounds per starfighter? That is ridiculous.

19. Jedi_Dajuan

Dec 30, 2002
    It's still cheaper than the other minis games. Since there's no randomness to the packages you know what you're buying. There's no secondary scalper market or the need to buy multiple packs in hopes you get that chase figure.

20. Grand Admiral Strife

Grand Admiral Strife RSA Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 21, 2001
    bumping for interest.

Local comic store had a minis tourney, friend of mine went 3-0 and won the Falcon expansion set.

21. bhssinger3

bhssinger3 Jedi Youngling

Jan 16, 2013
    Does anyone know how this game is compared to the most recent miniatures line by Wizards of the Coast?

Because the is still my most favorite Star Wars board game.

Writing is an art and a science. It is an art to write, but it becomes a science when you make what your write, readable.

http://www.mgbe.blogspot.com

http://www.youtube.com

22. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    The starship WOTC game was god awful. Just dreadful. FF have a pretty good track history, so I'll reserve judgment til I play.

23. AdmiralWesJanson

May 23, 2005
    It is absolutely not the same moulds as either Micro Machines or WotC minis. There is a lot of detail, the ships are in scale to each other, and for your $15 ($10 online if you look) you get a fighter that is 2-3 inches long, a base, 4-6 pilot cards, a number of smaller upgrade cards, and thick cardboard ship stat tiles and tokens. Plus a base and a cardboard manuever dial.As for price overall, an average game is 100 points, which means 3-8 ships. So depending on the list you want to play, not a major investment. And the quality is great for the price, far better than the micromachines or WotC craft which have a tendency to bend and warp. Plus, look at the falcon. Look at your hand. The two are roughly the same size (barring people with very large or very small hands).

The play is basically Wings of War with Star Wars ships. Fun, takes about 15 minutes to learn, and once ou get the hang of it, about 30-45 minutes to play a round.

24. KudosDas

KudosDas Jedi Padawan star 2

Jan 14, 2005
    Hmmm, given that Fantasy Flight is taking scale into consideration, has there been any discussion about doing capital ships in future releases? I seem to recall an old Dork Tower comic lamenting when the large tank and dragon type models were brought into Mage Knight way back, something about the word miniature no longer applying to miniature gaming...;)

25. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Yes, but, the depth was missing. Conversely, the last 5 games I played of the miniatures combat game got down to 1 fig each and 10HP remaining. Granted, these were not tourney squards but more themed fun pieces but with the starships game, the lack of any range was a huge factor for me. Initiative just means that your capital ships will be standing at the end; theirs won't.

I'd like to me able to move a ship into position before broadsiding an enemy, for starters.