main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion How big of a role will the original cast have

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by mglover92, Mar 1, 2013.

1. mglover92

mglover92 Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 9, 2013
    there has been much speculation about how big of a role the main 3 or 4 will have. Rumor has it that the main original cast could of easily been written off if for some reason they said no. Well this tells me that their roles in the news star wars movies must not be very big at all if they could easily "be written off". To me this kind of sounds really disappointing because it just seems like they might be thrown in there for a couple scenes and then its done....Now I am not saying the whole movie has to be based off the main cast but I would like to see a collaboration of them helping the new cast in fighting whatever evil is ahead and I hope they decide to go this way. What do you guys think?

2. Darth Claire

Darth Claire Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2012
    Supporting to cameo *depending on the actor and how well he/she is physically, mentally and story wise* roles. I HIGHLY doubt any of the OT will be lead roles.

Darth kRud likes this.
  3. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Yeah most likely supporting.

4. NoChesterHester

NoChesterHester Jedi Master star 1

Nov 5, 2012
    If the newest rumor has any shred of truth, Episode VII is set pretty far into the future after ROTJ. Perhaps 50+ years. I wouldn't expect any more than minor roles if that is true. It would put all of the original cast at around 70 years old.

5. BarkingFrog

BarkingFrog Jedi Master star 2

Jan 4, 2009
    Don't think it's farfetched to assume Luke will have similar screen time to Obi-Wan in ANH. I really want to see that. Massively wasted opportunity if we don't see Luke pull out the lightsaber one last time.

Doug625 likes this.
  6. Jedi Comedian

Jedi Comedian Jedi Master star 3

Oct 27, 2012
    Yeah, that's what would feel right to me. Too much of them and they would overshadow the new heroes.

BarkingFrog and Darth Claire like this.
  7. Darth Claire

Dec 21, 2012
    This. While I love the OT cast, I dont want this to become some weird "OT cast revival movie" cause lately old action star revival movies have not been good *looks at Arnold, Stallone, the brutal milking of the Die Hard franchise, ect*. Let them be side characters, dont try to force them into being action stars again

8. DARTHSHAME

DARTHSHAME Jedi Master star 4

Dec 19, 2003
    I have always thought that Luke, Han, and Leia would play supporting roles. However, I would prefer these roles to have some substance. What I fear are perfunctory roles that does not do the Big 3 justice. I admit the recent rumors about a Solo child and grandchild made me cringe. More the grandchild idea.

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR likes this.
  9. FatSmel

FatSmel Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 23, 2012
    This should be pretty obvious. Can you imagine the original cast playing lead roles as their characters in the current state they are in?
    I didn't think so. :p

10. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Absolutely! ;)

Pro Scoundrel likes this.
  11. Darth Claire

Dec 21, 2012
    Option B could be *if they NEED to have the OT as young leads* do what they did with Aubrey Hepburn. Get a look alike actress, then CGI them to look more like the actor. Like this

Ha....no that would be awful ;)

Joe Antonetti likes this.
  12. lord_eidolon

lord_eidolon Jedi Grand Master star 3

Feb 2, 2004
    Supporting roles. Luke as cautious Jedi Master, Han and Leia as diplomats and parents. Han dies. A torch is passed.

DARTHSHAME likes this.
  13. DARTHSHAME

Dec 19, 2003
    I think we are on the same wavelength.

lord_eidolon likes this.
  14. Leias_Left_Bun

Leias_Left_Bun Jedi Master star 4

Feb 18, 2013
    As much as I adore the OT cast, I'm very much on board with keeping them in supporting roles only.

If you look at other films where they tried to introduce new younger characters to breathe new life into a franchise, on the one hand you have films like Star Trek 2 (David Marcus, Saavik), Godfather 3 (Vincent Mancini) and Indy 4 (Mutt) where the new characters just never caught on. On the other hand, you have films like Star Trek Generations or the 2009 Star Trek where the transition to a younger generation did work.

I think the main difference is in the first group of films, the new young characters were supporting while the old guard carried the film. The audience never had to invest in the new characters, and they didn't. While the latter films made it clear from the get-go that the younger generation was the main focus of the story and the older characters were merely supporting. So the audience was more or less forced to bond with the new characters right away if they wanted to enjoy the story.

Darth Claire likes this.
  15. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012
    The Big 3 will have something like 10-15 min screen time - enough time to have some nostalgia & pass the torch to the new generataion with the possibility of one of them being killed off .......

16. johnrain39

johnrain39 Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 30, 2012
    Maybe Han's son could be played by Shia LeBeouf.

17. DARTHSHAME

Dec 19, 2003
    :( Lets hope the stain of Kingdom of the Crystal Skull stays away from Star Wars. Nothing against Shia, but he needs to stick with the robots.

18. Echo-07

Echo-07 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2012
    Han and Leia not so much. In fact they could possibly die about midway through 7. Luke should have a larger role as mentor and sage.

19. Jimstarwarsfan

Jimstarwarsfan Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 30, 2012
    I wouldnt see a problem if the OT cast take more screen time in Episode 7, than just breif appearences.I feel this could work nicely to set up the other episodes. I dont mean tht they over shadow the new heroes just build up to them. I really want to see Luke fight as a master Jedi. Could Luke be in all 3 episodes? even if han is killed off earlier, It would be nice to have Luke there.

What if they do have leading roles? possible but not likely as yet we still have not much that is solid to go on. very exciting...I just can't wait. I really can't.

20. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    Size matters not.

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  21. Jimstarwarsfan

Oct 30, 2012
    What if one of the planets they visit in episode 7 is called Disney world. More big eared CG chractors.:p

22. Echo-07

Echo-07 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2012
    That would be disturbing on so many levels.

23. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012
    If this happens Star Wars Episode VII will be dead to most people ..........

24. Jimstarwarsfan

Oct 30, 2012
    Agree totally! This would be horrible. He actually ruins Tranformers for me. Please don't let this happen, Along with other suggestions of actors etc on other threads. Please keep the new cast also Original as possible like the new films story lines.

25. Darth Claire

Dec 21, 2012
    JJ is usually good at casting so I'm not too worried....but if we let studio execs cast movies then most lazy ones would just choose whoever is popular *like J lawrence, that twilight dude, ect*. Here's hoping we actually get good casting :)