main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Doctor Who Discussion (Russell T. Davies returns)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Darth Guy, Jan 3, 2013.

1. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    It's a hard task, yeah, and however well thought out one's picks are they're only going to appeal to some people some of the time. I don't recognise many, but of those I do, and for me, Steve Martin as The Doctor definitely doesn't work. His 'silly acting' comes across as to anarchic and intense for The Doctor (I don't think he could do quirks without overselling them), and his serious acting style (which he can certainly do) comes across as too 'husband next door'. That works for the more serious he chooses, but would be too bland for The Doctor. Basically, The Doctor - most particularly now - requires a middle ground Martin isn't capable of.

2. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Okay, but could Steve Martin please write for the show? Or play banjo for the show? :p

Juliet316 likes this.
  3. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    Erm... banjos are cool? :p

Miana Kenobi likes this.
  4. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    A banjo would have increased A Town Called Mercy's rating to "barely watchable"

5. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    What if The Doctor knew how to speak banjo?

Random Comments likes this.
  6. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    So, are we getting

New Cybermen AND new/old Ice Warriors in the same episode?
    Because that would be both crazy and awesome

7. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    I believe the new Cybermen are in another episode (second?).

8. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    The Cyberman are in Neil Gaiman's episode which is believed to be the ep right before the Moffat written season finale.

Edit: Production has wrapped in An Adventure in Time and Space.

9. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Steve Martin in an episode of Who would be all kinds of Awesome.

10. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    Tardis tankers. Excellent.

11. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
  12. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    That would be horrifyingly screwed up if that was the case. :(

13. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    The parallels with R*** are too much of a stretch, IMHO. She worked in a pub called "The Rose and the Crown", why is it such a big deal that she chose to have a rose in her hair? It was probably the Victorian equivalent of a waitress wearing a T-shirt with the pub's logo, anyway. And the red dresses? I always thought the colour was to reflect her sanguine personality. Plus Jenna looks great in red.

Honestly, there was a much more solid base for belief in a Big Fish Conspiracy, judging by the number of fish references in Series 5 and 6 (a fish-like Prisoner Zero; fish fingers & custard; the Doctor mentioning an "escaped fish" in TBB; fish-like Vampires of Venice; flying fish in TCC; Jim the Fish mentioned in TIA, etc...)

14. Miana Kenobi

Apr 5, 2000
    But there is a point with the fact that Rose/BW even says "I am the bad wolf. I create myself..."

15. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    No. No. No. Just... no.

No.

Please.

MrZAP likes this.
  16. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Okay, I didn't click the reddit link, but the gist between Mar and Miana is enough to connect the dots, here comes the opinion from likely
    the biggest Rose fan likely in this thread
    :

I don't think Clara's Rose. Nor do I want her to be.

Leaving aside the 'Clingy Ex - Girlfriend' comment Moffat threw out at Comic Con a few years back, there's just not nearly enough there for me to buy for a second that Clara might be, infact a reincarnation of Rose Tyler. I know Moffat likes to ***** with people's heads (and I'm willing to bet the Rose and the Crown was one such thing, knowing it would throw the really hard core Rose fans into a tizzy), but I don't think even he would go there. He's worked incredibly hard to distance himself from RTD's Who, that bringing back Rose, especially in the form of somebody would just be an incredible backstep for the show (and yes, this is coming from a Rose fan).

Not to mention a slap in the face for those of us who have managed to move on. I'm still a Ten/Rose shipper to the end... but, he left her on a beach with his clone. Then regenerated. Then married River (and I for one happen to like the chemistry between Matt and Alex. Those two make River/Eleven work for me). To make Clara Rose would be an insult to Ten, Metacrisis Ten, Billie's Rose, RTD and the fans.

Similarly, when this was all hashed out with River before her origins were known, I stated that I didn't want her to be Rose/Romana/the Master/Susan, or anybody else the fans speculated either. I wanted her to be her own person with her own story (Which, I got, even if the execution of that left something to be desired). I want the same for Clara: Somebody who's her own person with her own story.

tl;dr: Do I think Clara is more than she seems? Yes, of course. Do I think she's connected to the 50th anniversary? There's too many clues out there (her last name being Oswald, her DOB being the anniversary date, the 'remember' stuff that has threaded through her appearances thus far) for her not to be. Do I think she's Rose Marion Tyler? Hell no.

Mar17swgirl likes this.
  17. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
    Oh, it's probably a Rose herring, yeah. Still amuses me.

Anyway, we've had a glimpse of them, but here's a full view of one of the returning monsters:

[​IMG]

Me likey.

18. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Okay let me revise from my first opinion on them
    They look like TMNT meets Undertaker in his biker role from the early 00's

19. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
    No.

They look like Ice Warriors.

20. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    You're presuming one's basing an impression on having seen Classic Who with the Ice Warriors. I have not been able to do so yet. :p

Miana Kenobi likes this.
  21. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    The Ice Warriors to indeed look awesome. Chunky. :p

Oh and that whole thing about R*** and Clara. Ye gods. Some fans don't seem to understand the idea that everything doesn't need to be connected. Some things can and should be left alone - even if they're not entirely explained by the time they're disposed of. R***, for example.

22. Miana Kenobi

Apr 5, 2000
    Yes but there's a different between coincidences and too many coincidences on purpose. They're plants and payoffs. Bad Wolf in itself is a prime example of a plant and payoff that was threaded all throughout season 1. If a writer as clever as Moffat includes something far too many times, then it's too important to ignore. Unless he's just doing it on purpose to screw with us.

23. MrZAP

MrZAP Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 2, 2007
    Miana, this is Moffat. If he's doing anything at all, you can rest assured that he is DEFINITELY doing it on purpose to screw with us.:p

Juliet316 likes this.
  24. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    He has been known to do that from time to time.

25. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Mar17swgirl likes this.