main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit The Last Jedi by Michael Reaves

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Zorkel567, Sep 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    Yularn is the narrator....

2. JediAlly

JediAlly Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 31, 2000
    Shouldn't this be stickied?

3. Danz Borin

Danz Borin Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 16, 2012
    Stopped at BAM after work today. They didn't have it in. UGH. Annoyance factor x1000.

4. my kind of scum

my kind of scum Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2002
    Received my copy from Amazon today. Have been wanting to tear into it all day, but it has been one of those "though you can leave work, work will not leave you alone" sort of days....

5. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    ...funny you should say that.

6. The_Forgotten_Jedi

The_Forgotten_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 12, 2010
    Shouldn't this be stickied?

Anybody else finish the book yet? Got off to an odd start, but I liked how it all ended up.

7. my kind of scum

my kind of scum Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2002
    I'm only about 100 pages in so far. Certainly meanders a bit, but an enjoyable read so far.

8. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    A decent book, just not that interested in Reaves' and Bohnhoff's scientific approach to a lot of things. Definitely a Dark Times book and it ties up quite a few loose ends. I skimmed through it fast (I have a short attention span and not much patience), so I might have gotten some details wrong, but I think I got the general gist of the book.

On the bright side, that police prefect Haus officially fully joins Whiplash... which is a good thing since he's mostly the one holding together the remnants of Whiplash after Sal (that guy who betrayed Jax's father years ago over a seemingly minor matter) screws up worse than ever and gets most of the senior members of that resistance movement killed in a reckless attempt to assassinate Palpatine which doesn't work out of course.

Laranth is killed when Vader captures Whiplash's leader (who they had been relocating to Dantooine after the increasing pressure on Coruscant), really sad to see her go, and Jax is left mourning her for most of the book. I-5's body is also destroyed when Vader attacks, but then he spends the rest of the book moving between a few droid bodies, such as a pit droid (I think), an R2 unit and a human replica droid, outfitting all of them with a few more weapons. Sort of like a less homicidal HK-47.

Jax also finally opens up Darth Ramage's holocron and uses the pyronium against Vader, enough to give him a bit of an edge but only to hold off Vader for a little while. After that he has the knowledge scrubbed from his mind for fear of it corrupting him (or worse Vader getting his hands on the techniques from him). He gets a lot of help from the Dathomiri witches, and assuming I didn't miss a chapter, left the holocron with them. Jax also finally kills Tesla while rescuing Yimmon.

So basically the young resistance movement on Coruscant is wrecked but not quite down yet, Jax survives, mostly moves on from Laranth's death and continues the fight and maybe starts looking into training a few more people. Although his possibly continuing interaction with the Dathomiri witches might cause a few canon problems. Xizor also shows up, but plays a relatively minor and neutral role, its just business as he puts it.

Also a few references to TCW events, but sadly don't think any attempts to clear up the recent mess TCW made, but then that's probably for the best since TCW will just screw up things even more as long as it continues.

By the way, for future continuity, I think Jax learned how to create Force projections from Ramage's holocron, and then left that holocron with the Dathomiri witches. I wonder if that would be part of the records Luke would eventually receive from the witches in another few decades? If so, nice bit of connection, although the way Jax was talking, he was thinking about recruiting a new Padawan from one of the Witches, so just part of the typical Dark Times problems (too many lone Jedi flailing about, all worried about being the last, etc.

Altogether a quite decent book, although the Coruscant Nights series hasn't been my favorite, partially due to the attempt at applying science to the Force, but its mostly about Jax and his continuing struggle to survive, so not bad. Also kind of funny how long some of these plots have been in motion.

9. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Probably have a copy by mid-March, perhaps sooner.

10. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    No joy in the local bookstores today so I put an order in on Amazon UK for it and a few others on my list. Hopefully the order will come next week.

11. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    I'm not exactly rating Foyles pre-order abilities.

12. K'Kruhk

K'Kruhk Jedi Master star 4

Dec 11, 2011
    I called it. Back in September.

13. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    I've got to pick this up this weekend.

14. Stymi

Stymi Force Ghost star 4

Jan 10, 2002
    Where are the spoliers? It's why I come here. Saves me tons of money. And why isn't this stickied?

It's a conspiracy I tell you!

15. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    We're all still reading it. I am, at least, since I only started yesterday. [face_peace]

16. Stymi

Stymi Force Ghost star 4

Jan 10, 2002
    Excuses. [face_not_talking]

:p

17. Nobody145

Feb 9, 2007
    I already posted a general summary of the book, what kind of spoilers are you talking about? Oh, how about this- Vader survives! :p Or Vader isn't taken captive by Whiplash and shipped off to Dantooine, this book is far better than any sad excuse for a story which would include an event like that.

Gorefiend and DarthStymi like this.
  18. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Which mess are you referring to?

19. Nobody145

Feb 9, 2007
    ...shouldn't be a spoiler, even if you haven't seen this morning's TCW episode its been obvious for a while, but I'm pretty sure the same author(s?) wrote the Medstar novels, with Barriss Offee as one of the main characters (along with Den and I5 and others) and... yeah, that's another lost cause by now (especially after Even Piell). The TCW references were mostly the parts spoiled a few pages back, and just referring to events of earlier arcs in this season.

20. Stymi

Stymi Force Ghost star 4

Jan 10, 2002
    I think Filoni dissenters have misinterpreted his malicious intent. It is not the EU in it's entirety but rather Reaves. Filoni clearly has it out for Reaves. :p

21. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Well I don't think any of the Lit mods have started reading it yet, so that'll probably take a while.

*ducks and runs*

DarthStymi likes this.
  22. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Started the book, don't remember much from the first three books in the series or the other books related to it but good so far.

23. Sable_Hart

Sable_Hart Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 28, 2009
    I liked it well enough. Reaves depicts the Force as manifesting in a spectrum of light from Jax's perspective, which is pretty cool.

24. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Is it possible the Medstar books ( I haven't read them ) simply take place before the relevant TCW arc?

25. Nobody145

Feb 9, 2007
    That is a question best left to the Clone Wars continuity thread (as much of an oxymoron as that is these days). And timeline wise its possible, already a few seasons ago TCW presented Barriss as basically being Ahsoka's level, whereas Medstar she was more like Anakin (experienced Padawan, close to Knighthood), but after the most recent TCW episodes, Medstar could still fit in timeline wise but... its more a case of logic and common sense and characterization (or rather character assassination) being mangled, as is normal for TCW. Most cases aren't as bad as this one though, but still.

I haven't liked TCW much, but yeah, now I wonder if "run over, er, reference Reaves' books" is on each seasons' plotline. And I'm even more worried when I remember that Reaves wrote the Death Star book too....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.