main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation Ahsoka Stand Alone film???

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by DarthMateous, Feb 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DARTHSHAME

DARTHSHAME Jedi Master star 4

Dec 19, 2003
    I agree this is how it should happen. However, her appeal to the kids may be too irresistible to Disney and Lucasflim. They may keep her around or make her CW death ambiguous for a possible return in the future.

2. stormcloud8

stormcloud8 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 24, 2002
    Yes, I think so as well. This may be an instance where marketing potential wins out over plot and logic.

3. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I'm indifferent as long as they make her appearance with the assumption that the general audience hasn't watched/remembered TCW.

4. DarthMateous

DarthMateous Jedi Master star 4

Aug 1, 2002
    Did you watch the Season 5 Finale yet?

5. DARTHSHAME

Dec 19, 2003
    Yes, I saw it. I do not want to spoil for anybody who has not seen it. I will say that her appearance in the ST is more than plausible if we do not see her on the CW again.

TreborSabreon likes this.
  6. Tensionhead

Tensionhead Jedi Master star 1

Feb 7, 2005
    yes, but did you catch mickey mouse thumbnails on yoda's ipad?

7. Allana_Rey

Allana_Rey Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    I don't see a live action standalone happening. Maybe a standalone cartoon series.

8. credar

credar Jedi Master star 3

Sep 18, 2011
    I doubt a stand alone would happen, though a cameo in the ST would be cool, also including her as a star in the live-action would be interesting.....Damn, now I REALLY hope she ends up being in the live-action.

*SPOILERS*
    *SPOILERS*
    *SPOILERS*
    *SPOILERS*
    I would be okay if her leaving was enough drive for Anakin. He launched out at the Council when Ahsoka was expelled, the anger drove him while finding Ventress and fighting Barriss, where he really seems to have lost it. He did all that and still lost his apprentice, basically because of the Council. He now has a reason to hate the council and no more Ahsoka to guide him or stop him when he goes too far.

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  9. DARTHSHAME

Dec 19, 2003
    Lets play devil's advocate. If this is the last we see of Ahsoka in TCW. We have to suspect that she will return in the future. Will she be good or evil? Obviously, she now has a grudge against Jedi. Could this be part of a greater plot for the ST? I am not saying I am for this. However, I just wanted to bring up the thought.

10. credar

credar Jedi Master star 3

Sep 18, 2011
    She will probably be good. Just because she left the Order doesn't mean that she will turn dark. I'm sure she would continue to use the force in good ways to help people. She's always been about that. Or maybe just run off with Lex and start a farm somewhere, leaving the whole force life behind. But evil? Nah.

11. DARTHSHAME

Dec 19, 2003
    You may be right. Surprisingly, I have not watched the entire series. I only started focusing on it this season when I saw that Sidious and Maul would battle.

12. phatdude1138

phatdude1138 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 2, 2005
    For those who fear anything outside the OT will "ruin" the ST, let me just say, (IMO) you are wrong. After watching today's Season 5 Finale of TCW, the ST should be begging TCW for as much as it can.

Today's episode probably had the most emotional scene of any Star Wars film/show that I know of. It obviously will mean more to the folks like me that have been following TCW from the beginning, but unless you are completely devoid of emotion, this should stir something in you. Especially Ahsoka and Anakin's facial expressions. Not to mention the musical score:

WARNING. SPOILER:

With that said ^^^^ I really think Ahsoka's character has been reborn. Ahsoka shouldn't be that much older than Han Solo at this point. We can also claim that Togrutas "live longer" than humans to squeeze some more life out of her for EP7. To be honest, I would like a spin off film of her, even more than an EP7 appearance.

13. GGrievous

GGrievous Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2005

14. LawJedi

LawJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2009
    In my head, Ahsoka just became Mal Reynolds from Firefly. She just became Chuck Conners from Branded. I would do anything to see a continuation of her character arc. If that means a role in Underworld, I'm cool with that.

15. DARTHSHAME

Dec 19, 2003
    I admit the ending was compelling. I cannot see a spinoff, but I can see a role in the ST.

16. LawJedi

Jan 11, 2009
    From a business standpoint, I think anything from TCW/PT era is in a tough spot right now.

17. DARTHSHAME

Dec 19, 2003
    Yes, we will have to wait and see.

18. stormcloud8

stormcloud8 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 24, 2002
    The ending was not enough to drive Anakin further along his quest to the dark side and propel his obsession with savings the one he loves from dying. It was a good arc and a good story, but there needs to be more. The rise of darth vader in ROTS revolves around power to save loved ones from death. His mother's death was tragic, but there is no pattern in his life. Just a single loss. The former padawan must die to begin to establish a pattern and the fear that padme is next.

TCW has good and bad points, but letting her live would be a horrible mistake and one clearly driven from a marketing perspective. It would be a very cowardly move as far as I am concerned.

19. InterestingLurker

InterestingLurker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2011
    While I wouldn't mind a standalone film of Ahsoka, I think it could only work if it were a CGI film, perhaps more photo-realistic than The Clone Wars series so that it'll have that "movie feel" to it. It would be a lot easier to do so versus trying to find an actor that can play the part of Ahsoka in a live-action film. In all honesty, while Ashley Eckstein is a great voice actor, I'm doubtful of her on-screen acting skills. Also, the movie would have to be primarily marketed to The Clone Wars fans.

20. LawJedi

Jan 11, 2009
    stormcloud8

I really don't need to see another female hero in pop culture die for the sole purpose of emotionally fuel a dude. Fridging her would be the cowardly move, as well as being lazy, cliched, and objectifying writing. Anakin's arc doesn't need dead Ahsoka. It didn't need it in 2005, it doesn't need it now, IMHO. Let the PT live and die on its own merits. But if they're going to do it, do it in a way that fuels not just Anakin's character, but Ahsoka's.

This last episode worked because it was successful in progressing Anakin's character, without sacrificing the growth of Ahsoka. In spite of spending an episode in cuffs, the conclusion of the episode was all about Ahsoka making her own decision about her life. If she has to die for Anakin rage-fuel, then it should be handled in a similar manner.

21. PrincessKenobi

PrincessKenobi Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 12, 2000
    While I was very leery of Ashoka and her creation. Today's finale really made her one of my more enjoyed characters in all of Star Wars. I think if they did a movie it would have to be a straight to dvd and animated. Not because I don't think Ashley couldn't handle the acting, actually I think she could. But I think Ashoka and her having a line of her own Star Wars dvds in the hands of Disney marketing could be a good thing and give some closure to the character if the show doesn't come back next season.

22. Jedsithor

Jedsithor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 1, 2005
    Except that she was created post-ROTS and thus isn't mentioned in the movie. Thus it makes no sense for her to die. The problem is, when we first see Anakin in Episode III, there is no sense that he is suffering due to the loss of his apprentice. In fact he's quite content, his relationship with Obi-Wan is the strongest its ever been and he's essentially living the dream. His demeanour isn't that of a man who has just lost someone close to him. If anything, the death of Ahsoka would undermine Anakin's character development, not enhance it. When Anakin and Ahsoka say their final goodbyes, it needs to leave Anakin in a good place. We've already seen Anakin's temper throughout the show, we know he has trouble controlling his emotions but at the beginning of ROTS he's pretty level-headed. It's only when Palpatine gets his claws into Anakin and starts twisting his mind that the contentment and self control start to slip away.

Had Ahsoka existed prior to ROTS, she could have been mentioned in the movie and used as part of Palpatine's manipulations but since she didn't exist, killing her in order to push Anakin towards the Dark Side so close to Revenge of the Sith makes no sense.

The only way it might work to kill her would be for it to happen early in the last season (certainly nowhere near the final episode), which would allow for Obi-Wan and Anakin to leave for the Outer Rim Sieges, giving Anakin 6-9 months (between the conception of the twins and the opening of ROTS) to come to terms with Ahsoka's death, maybe with Obi-Wan's help, which would solidify their brotherly bond and allow Anakin to move past it. But again, it's something you think Palpatine would bring up in his manipulation.

23. appleseed

appleseed Chosen One star 5

Dec 5, 2002
    There is absolutely no point in fridging Ahsoka. What happened with her in this episode is plenty of fuel for Anakin, along with the main fuel which is of course the self-fulfilling prophecy of Padme's death in childbirth that he makes come true in ROTS.

Do I want to see her get her own movie? I don't know, but she's a strong enough and interesting enough character to be part of an ensemble, if it's more episodes of CW (if there is a 6th season), or an interrrtrilogy movie/s or in the ST if she lives that long or is frozen in carbonite, or whatever.

And if she does make it to live action, Ashley Eckstein should get the opportunity to portray her.

24. DARTHSHAME

Dec 19, 2003
    I think her growing popularity means that she will have many promotions in the future. We certainly have not seen the last of her IMHO. I think the finale episode is appropriate closure for her on TCW.

25. LawJedi

Jan 11, 2009
    From a merchandising/marketing perspective, I think her popularity with the kid audience probably peeked in the two or three years following the theatrical TCW movie. During that time, according to Hasbro, Ahsoka sold more merchandise than any of the other Star Wars female ever had. Recent interviews with Hasbro's head of Star Wars, Daryl DePriest have suggested a serious decline in the movement of Ahsoka product (along with Hasbro completely ending TCW toys in 2013). You could probably blame this on a number of factors: a fickle kid audience, the decrease in advertising following the theatrical release, the availability and quality of the toys, the inconsistent quality and tone of the show, the time slot changes, etc. Regardless, I don't know if the "adult fan" reappraisal of the character coincides with the kid audience.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.