main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion One speical thing in all six movies so far I hope new trilogy can live up to

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by OldTimeFan, Mar 2, 2013.

1. OldTimeFan

OldTimeFan Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 28, 2011
    Ok some people hate the prequels fair enough which I like but they have something in common with the classic trilogy.

John Williams put an original and beautiful score on all six movies.

Besides the Star Wars theme itself we have timeless classic tunes from all six movies.

The Homestead Sunset
    Yodas Theme
    The Imperial March
    The Battle for Endor
    Dual of the Fates
    Across the Stars
    Battle of the Heroes.

That is just some of the tunes there are many more from all six movies thanks to John Williams.

Will he be up for the new movies and is he past his prime anyway.

Can a new composer give us the same kind of standard.

Watching movies in the last ten to fifteen years movies have moved away from the big orchestra scores anyway.

These movies will be trying to get yet another generation into the Star Wars universe.

But for us older fans can they deliver more iconic scores?

Episode Swag and yggdrasil311 like this.
  2. jasman

jasman Administrator Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 29, 1998
    JW had better do the music, and come up with some new themes. You're right, JW music is like the Force, it binds the whole thing together!

3. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    Well, he's said he wants to. So we'll see. However, as much as I don't want to say it, there will come a time when he won't be able to provide the music for a SW film.

Episode Swag likes this.
  4. Buddha Fett

Buddha Fett Force Ghost star 4

Dec 18, 1999
    There is no other film composer working today who can produce anything close to what John Williams has given us. No one.

lbr789, Episode Swag and OldTimeFan like this.
  5. DARTHSHAME

DARTHSHAME Jedi Master star 4

Dec 19, 2003
    We can only hope he does the score for the ST. His influence will be an important cohesive link with the PT and OT.

Episode Swag likes this.
  6. mes520

mes520 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    JW had better do the music, I honestly can't imagine anyone else doing it

Episode Swag and OldTimeFan like this.
  7. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    I would go so far to say that it's when John Williams will be unable to do the score that I'll truly consider Star Wars to have become something new - not the current change of hands.

Episode Swag and OldTimeFan like this.
  8. jasman

Aug 29, 1998
    Buddha Fett, if you've been around since 1999, I should remember you. Did you have a different name or am I just getting senile and can't remember?

9. OldTimeFan

Jul 28, 2011
    Yes I feel the same John Williams scores make it Star Wars.

10. Sum-Wan

Sum-Wan Jedi Master star 4

Feb 16, 2013
    John Williams' music will live forever as part of Star Wars even though at a point in the future someone else might take charge of composing the scores for the future films.

Episode Swag likes this.
  11. Darth Claire

Darth Claire Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2012
    I want Williams to return, but Lucasfilm/Disney seriously need to get ready for the inevitability that he'll need to be replaced soon. I say get Giacchino...because I've already kinda made some of his music my mental themes for SW7. For some reason I keep imagining this as the new theme for the new main hero *no not the new star wars theme but the individual character theme*

IDKY...its between that, the song Ascension *Super 8 music* and the last bit of Cloud Atlas End Title. Its weird I know.

Episode Swag likes this.
  12. DARTHSHAME

Dec 19, 2003
    John is getting a little long in the tooth. I know many in another thread advocated that another composer be brought in to collaborate with JW. I would be in favor of that.

Episode Swag likes this.
  13. OldTimeFan

Jul 28, 2011
    That is a great idea.

14. Darth Claire

Dec 21, 2012
    I say do a little "Master/Apprentice" with the crew. Bring back old ones but have them work with newer, fresher talent and "train" them to eventually take over the franchise. So in a way we're passing the franchise off not to just a new cast but also a new batch of people to help make the film.

15. DARTHSHAME

Dec 19, 2003
    Clever idea. Heck, even Lucas himself will be playing that role. He is passing the torch, but staying on as a creative consultant.

16. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
  17. Darth Claire

Dec 21, 2012
    I hope but then again...some people just dont need training...they're already epic. I kinda like to think that somewhere Disney is brainwashing a bunch of cinematographers, costume designers, composers, ect into being clones of the OT crew *or at least super sci fi geniuses* ;)

18. jasman

Aug 29, 1998
    Musical genius can't be taught or learned. It's a gift. Either you have it or you don't. I don't think JW can mentor someone into being another brilliant composer. That being said, there are many very good cinematic composers in the world, and, so long as most of the original themes are kept intact, someone may be able to carry on into the future of SW, even if JW is not available. At least, I hope so. Going in a new direction, musically, in order to attract a younger audience may be the right thing to do commercially, but it would be a tragedy artistically.

Darth Chiznuk and OldTimeFan like this.
  19. Darth Claire

Dec 21, 2012
    Ha...bring on this

[face_sick]

20. OldTimeFan

Jul 28, 2011
    You should be banned for posting that.:_|:D

21. Darth Claire

Dec 21, 2012
    Teheheheh ;)

OldTimeFan likes this.
  22. jasman

Aug 29, 1998
    Don't you people know that you can reply to a post without quoting it? Did I really need to see those videos in this thread 4 or 5 times? Sheesh!

23. LawJedi

LawJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2009
    QFT

24. Han Burgundy

Han Burgundy Jedi Master star 3

Jan 28, 2013
    Whoever composes, I just want one thing: STRONG, MEMORABLE THEMES.

I can't recall a blockbuster movie from the last 3 years with a theme that I could hum off the top of my head (that isn't a sequel that uses themes from its predecessors). Even the scores that do have big orchestral sounds (like the avengers, or the last Harry Potter)are typically super generic "background music" scores that have no desire to serve the story in any capacity more than a basic level. The art of the leitmotif is dying. It's time to bring it back.

25. LawJedi

LawJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2009
    Really? I thought TDK trilogy had pretty memorable themes, even though it deliberately did not use traditional, melodic themes. Avengers and X-men First Class have themes that I hum all the time. In the case of First Class, I hum the X-men theme (see the shot of Magneto hanging out of the landing gear of the Blackbird), and I hum the wonderful, silly Magneto theme when I'm all grrrr angry. 8-}

Darth Chiznuk likes this.