main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation Ahsoka Stand Alone film???

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by DarthMateous, Feb 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. phatdude1138

phatdude1138 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 2, 2005
    I could be reading it wrong, but it appears that from this interview with Eckstein, there "may" be more of Ahsoka in the future:

Source

I highlighted that sentence because it just sounds like "scenes with them" translates to other scenes with other characters. Granted it could be an elaborate P.R. way of talking because TWC might be canceled, or she's out of a job, but it sounds like Ahsoka will be back (just not with the usual cast of Anakin, Obi-wan and the Clones). Also she hints at this scene was recorded almost a year ago. Even though she may have other gigs, my assumption is she was recording new Season 6 episodes.

Then again I may be all wrong and I'm just hoping she returns.

2. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    You know what's way better than an Ahsoka stand-alone film? And you can watch right now? Episodes 17-20 of S5 of The Clone Wars. I just watched them all today and they're fantastic, a movie probably wouldn't be as good as that anyway. And altogether it's almost an hr and a half. Seriously, it was way great top to bottom, even the direction, voice acting, action sequences, writing, etc. I highly recommend it and even to people who never watched the show and were all like "Huh? Who's this thing?" when the character was introduced years ago. Works great a self-contained, yes, movie. So watch! And enjoy because even if they did a flick, I don't think they could reach this height again. It's that good.

3. johnrain39

johnrain39 Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 30, 2012
    Ahsoka should have broken in the Les Miz song "On My Own" right after she left the Order.

4. Trebor Sabreon

Trebor Sabreon Former Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 15, 2010
    I disagree with your first premise entirely. When you're talking ST and TCW, generally speaking, it's just not a good fit. The ST is not Ahsoka's time. It's certainly not her story. For that matter, I don't think that for any of the OT characters (except maybe Luke), the ST will be all that much their story, either. Honestly, what, exactly, would an 80 year old Ahsoka Tano have to contribute to the story? I don't want or need to see Ahsoka in Episode VII reminiscing to Luke and Leia about the good old days with 'Sky Guy.'

As far as it meaning more? Personally, I've sat down and watched every single episode of TCW the night / morning it aired. As with anything, there may have been things here and there which I would have done differently, but I love the show and you're right, it would mean more to me. It would upset me more than I imagine it would have had I no idea who that elder orange Togruta sitting on the New Jedi Council was. The fact is, I've watched Ahsoka grow from an annoying kid into the type of spirit with the strength and conviction to stand and make the type of decision she did at the end of yesterday's episode and I've enjoyed almost every minute of it. TCW has been her story. I don't see the benefit, either to her or the story, of shoe-horning Ahsoka into a film in which she simply doesn't belong.

Another thought I had was, can the look of a live action Ahsoka even be pulled off convincingly? I've seen a lot of very disappointing attempts at it and while Ashley Eckstein's photos are probably the best I've seen, I think that I'm so used to Tano's animated design that it never looks right to me. Eh, probably nothing that the resources of a major motion picture couldn't solve. Still, the folks who have suggested another animated production might have the right idea.

I will say that if Tano is not dead by the end of TCW, there is a very real possibility that we will see her again. I'm not against that, per se, I simply think that it's important to find the right vehicle. In the end, if we are to see Ahsoka make a live-action appearance, I think that timeline-wise, it would have to be during the Live Action show or the suggested stand-alone film. Although, with the way in which the LAS' production has been described, it doesn't seem like it's the type of story where Tano fits and I'm not entirely convinced that Ahsoka is a character who can carry a financially successful feature.

5. stormcloud8

stormcloud8 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 24, 2002
    We'll all have to agree to disagree, then. I think the decision to give Anakin an apprentice was a terrible one. While she has been tolerable this season, in general I would call her one of the all time star wars mistakes, up there with ewoks and jar-jar. Just look at the general revulsion in the first couple of pages of this thread for evidence. The only way I have found her tolerable is to support the character development of Anakin, the central figure of the time period. If they end the story with a sad farewell, and not death, then I consider her an utter waste.

Nubbs likes this.
  6. stormcloud8

May 24, 2002
    The thing is, you can only introduce characters and ideas blatantly targeted at children so many times before you start having serious breaks in the fanbase. This first happened with ewoks, then it happened again with jar jar, and now again here. She is a gigantic hit with kids, some adults have warmed to her - but there is a huge portion of the SW fanbase that is just never going to be OK with a peppy preteen as a main character. I don't think gender is an issue here, I think it is simply age. I am too old to want anything to do with Super Eager Kiddo, and there are millions like me. Eventually you grow up and don't identify with kids any more, and there isn't much you can do about it.

So at the end of the day, the powers that be need to weigh the decision to enrage big chunks of existing fans in the quest for new, younger ones. From a marketing perspective it is a no brainier, they just have to be very careful to find the right balance.

Nubbs and TreborSabreon like this.
  7. StoneRiver

StoneRiver Force Ghost star 4

Oct 6, 2004
    Can't some of TCW be considered Ahsoka stand alone stories?

Isn't that enough?

8. Trebor Sabreon

Trebor Sabreon Former Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 15, 2010
    Come on, now. What on earth does the fact that Ahsoka is female and Anakin male have do do with anything?

The answer is nothing. Not a darn thing. Anakin is simply the more important character of the two. Period. Not because he's a man, but because the story of this time period is his more than anyone else. If Ahsoka is written to die as a means of furthering Anakin's story, it will not have a single thing to do with objectifying a female. That's just ridiculous.

When Lucas, et. al first unveiled Ahsoka to the public, the talk from LucasFilm was all about the influence of having an apprentice would have on Anakin. Now I agree that Ahsoka has come into her own over the years and things may have to be re-thought, but there's no denying that the character of Ahsoka Tano was first written as a supporting character to Anakin's story.

KevinM1 and stormcloud8 like this.
  9. Nubbs

Nubbs Jedi Youngling

Feb 16, 2013
    I want to preface this by saying I like your posts and agree with you completely. I don't want an Ahsoka spinoff, I didn't like her as Anakin's padawan, and finding the right balance is essential. The interesting question is whether striking the right balance is even possible anymore, not just with Ahsoka but with the Saga as a whole. I don't want to get too off topic from an Ahsoka spinoff, but I'm going to go a little off topic here...

You don't think we already have serious, IMO irreparable breaks in the fanbase? I'm pretty sure we've seen some pretty heated arguments over anything and everything Star Wars for a long time now. PT v OT is the classic example, but I'm sure there are 100 more things you could name that divide Star Wars fandom. The Star Wars franchise is too huge for the new ST to fit everyone's different tastes under one big tent IMO, and I think it would be a mistake to try what the PT failed to accomplish again. So, I don't think an Ahsoka spinoff would do any more harm because the damage has already been done. A vocal portion of the fanbase is going to complain no matter what J.J., Lucas and Disney do, it will be too cute or too dark or whatever. I'm not excited at the idea of an Ahsoka spin-off because I've seen enough of her story, to phrase it as politely as possible.
    The chances of having characters and ideas blatantly targeted at kids in the ST are 100%, IMO, and that may include Ahsoka or peppy teenage protagonist part 2. I doubt people who want to see a more mature movie in Ep. 7 will get their wish, and maybe they shouldn't. It's Disney, they want to sell toys to kids, there's going to be childish stuff in the new trilogy guaranteed. [face_sigh] Critics will bash it, longtime fans who've grown older and have different tastes than they used to will roll their eyes and post angry rants on this forum, and so on.

I think the best hope for fans annoyed by Ewoks and Jar Jar and Ahsoka is for a more mature spinoff made specifically for adults. Please, Disney, pretty please [face_praying] . I'm literally begging for you to throw the long-time fans who are all grown up and whose wallets and loyalty helped make George Lucas a billionaire a bone, for Force's sake! The spinoffs could actually do Star Wars fans a huge favor by segregating the increasingly fractured fanbase into their own groups while still maintaining the Star Wars Universe. A couple of adult movies could actually give people who want more mature storytelling minus the annoying "toy sales" characters what they've been clamoring for, while the ST draws in a younger generation of fans and sells the toys.

TreborSabreon and stormcloud8 like this.
  10. stormcloud8

May 24, 2002
    I think the key is to try to separate the two styles (stuff for kids, stuff for adults) and keep both happy. I honestly don't get TCW - half the episodes are kiddie garbage, half of them are dark with brutal death scenes. It is neither appropriate for small children, nor fully engaging for adults. Same goes for the movies - how many kids out there are not allowed to watch ROTS because it is too scary? Yet those same small kids who aren't allowed to watch ROTS probably think Jar Jar is hilarious. So what do you do - only let the kids watch 5 of the 6 movies, and confuse the hell out of them? I know several parents who don't allow their kids to watch the PT because it is too scary. I think if those parents sat and watched some of the violence that their kids see in TCW, they would be equally appalled.

Pick an audience and stick to it. Trying to appeal to all at once guarantees backlash. The Star Wars universe is big enough to develop content for all ages, I just think they need to stop trying to make every movie/show be a one size fits all.

TreborSabreon likes this.
  11. phatdude1138

phatdude1138 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 2, 2005
    Even if Ahsoka was a ploy to get kids back into Star Wars, it doesn't mean "she" hasn't evolved into an "adult character" now. Almost a "new character" if you consider all the adults that have never see TCW.

Look, I too ONLY saw Ahsoka as a supporting character. Anakin's sidekick. And she could definitely be annoying at times. However over the course of TCW she's been growing as a character. Finally this last episode, shows that she is a deep character with a lot of conviction. Ahsoka can be a standalone character "now". Especially since she is nolonger tied to Anakin or the Jedi Order.

She has the perfect setup for a character: she wants to do good, but the Jedi Order is not the right fit for her. And lucky for her, leaving the Order potential saves her from Order 66. People like things that are familiar. Any kid growing up liking Ahsoka is going to have that nostalgia feeling seeing her when they are older, late teens, early twenties.

Even I am hard pressed to say a "Ahsoka Spinoff Film would work", not because there wouldn't be a story there, but there is TOO much story to tell. A side effect of TCW is that there is SOOOOO much new content, that covering it in a single film (or three) is ridiculous.

If I was a top dog at Disney or Lucasfilm, I'd basically have TCW end right up until the events of ROTS, then all the auxiliary characters (not featured in ROTS) would continue on in the same exact format, just under a different name than "TCW". This isn't a stretch because Lucasfilm was already planning the live action series to be based in this time line. Just keep all the content we are used too over the past 5 seasons. You can truly just blend the PT to the OT and possibly the ST.

TCW format is the ultimate way to bridge the gaps of the saga. It can be well done, at a relatively inexpensive way. Also it keeps Star Wars in the mainstream more than just every 3 years with a movie.

12. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    I don't think Star Wars have ever skewed too heavily towards the adult side of things. ESB is generally regarded as the most adult episode in the series, and yet that film features a younger man still training to be a hero, an evil dad, as well as a romance where the two partners act like bicker flirting high schoolers. Definitely younger-skewing by my estimation, but not in a way that has ever alienated me as an adult. And I'd say that goes for the whole series. TPM, for instance, is usually regarded as the most kid-oriented film, and yet Qui-Gon is the one main character in the series who feels the most like a "normal adult" to me.

13. Rox

Rox Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 24, 2000
    So glad that I read the spoilers for the finale this week. I don't watch the show but man I was pulling for her to go dark side or die. She does not deserve a movie.

GGrievous likes this.
  14. Pearlsaber

Pearlsaber Jedi Master star 4

Jan 29, 2013
    How I feel about this:

X

15. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    I would be all for an Ahsoka stand-alone film. Her involvement in the ST is a bit of stretch to me but who knows. If done right I'd be okay with it. I've really began to love the character and I definitely want her involved in the future of SW.

16. GGrievous

GGrievous Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2005
  17. FatSmel

FatSmel Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 23, 2012
    You would prefer a movie about Ahsoka than one about YODA?

i have never disagreed with anything so strongly in my life :p

Lord Optimus and GGrievous like this.
  18. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Actually, from my point of view, that's where I think TCW shines the most (when it's good) is because when they have an arc they settle on that particular tone for that particular arc and don't really break inside of what they're going for on any given storyline. At it's core, Star Wars is basically a hodgepode of 90 different genres crammed altogether into a single serving. What Clone Wars does at it's best is take a genre and spin it for 3 or 4 episodes. It's multi-adaptive to any genre, much like Star Wars is itself. But if you're looking for tonal consistency from arc-to-arc, that isn't going to happen. Grouped together the espiodes play well for whatever that one is striving for. However if one wants the show to be consistently in a single style for a full season, I could totally see that lack of it drive viewers up the wall. I just dig how it can spin into different genres any given week(s).

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  19. Placeholder

Placeholder Jedi Master star 4

Jan 30, 2013
    I fear movies about the main characters. More is not always better. I think the prequels already did enough damage to the Yoda character.

20. KevinM1

KevinM1 Jedi Master star 2

Nov 15, 2012
    I'm pretty sure she's doing something TCW related given that she dodged that question at the end of the interview. If she was off the show, she could just say so as she wouldn't be under contract. IMO, it makes most sense for Ahsoka to pair up with Ventress again. There's enough commonality between them, and they had some chemistry.

For the topic at hand, I don't think an Ahsoka movie would work. For one, like someone else said, much of TCW is her story, so it would be redundant. Second, she's just not someone to base a 90-120 minute live action feature film on. Kids and diehards know who she is, but to the general public she doesn't exist. Third, I wouldn't want to see her re-cast/re-imagined. For me, Eckstein is Ahsoka. Add it all together, and signs point to no.

21. InterestingLurker

InterestingLurker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2011
    Why a movie about Yoda? That would only ruin the mystery surrounding him.

22. GGrievous

Nov 6, 2005
    Err what?

23. InterestingLurker

Jun 15, 2011
    If there was a movie about Yoda, then it would open up his past. All the mystery that distinguished him from other characters in the Saga would be nullified.

24. GGrievous

Nov 6, 2005
    If you don't focus on his past, then you could avoid that.

25. InterestingLurker

Jun 15, 2011
    I fear if Disney ever decided to make a Yoda movie, they would never decline in exploring his past, especially if it meant pleasing the dumbasses that infest the general audience. Also, Yoda works better as a supporting character.

Personally, I think a movie based on Matthew Stover's novel Shatterpoint would be better; that way, Disney will have an excuse to bring back Samuel L. mother****in' Jackson as Mace Windu(and center the movie entirely on him).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.