main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation Who Should Be Supreme Chancellor Of The Republic In Episode VII?

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by G-FETT, Nov 1, 2012.

?

Supreme Chancellor Of The Republic Should Be?

1. Princess Leia

42 vote(s)
    26.6%
  2. Mon Mothma

31 vote(s)
    19.6%
  3. Admiral Ackbar

9 vote(s)
    5.7%
  4. General Madine

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Lando Calrissian

25 vote(s)
    15.8%
  6. Another

51 vote(s)
    32.3%
  1. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    My point with Washington was that both the US and GFFA were in a state of rebuilding after their respective wars and there is no reason to presume that the people wouldn't elect one of their military heroes just as the US did. Now 30 years down the road I would think the government and military are in a much healthier situation than they were in the immediate aftermath of the battle of Endor (just speculating here because that is all either of us can do at this point) with new younger military leaders rising to the top and the old guard retiring. If this is indeed the state the galaxy is in then I see no legitimate reason why one of the military men can't run for office. Sure there will be challengers from career politicians but that doesn't mean they're the only ones who can run.

2. bighairedaristocrat

bighairedaristocrat Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 6, 2013
    I get what youre saying. I just dont see Madine or Ackbar as more likely candidates than, say, Chewbacca, Han Solo, Luke Skywalker, etc, if you wanted to go the war hero route. Just my opinion, but we're just speculating, as you mentioned.

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  3. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    That's all any of us can do right now. It's great to get other people's perspective and I hadn't even thought about Chancellor Chewie! Now that would be interesting to see.... :)

4. bighairedaristocrat

bighairedaristocrat Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 6, 2013
    He would be awesome. He's fearless, loyal, and loves his friends. And he could keep everyone in line. If disagreements broke out, he'd have everyone "hug it out." and if that doesnt work, well... No one wants to upset a wookie.

5. Sum-Wan

Sum-Wan Jedi Master star 4

Feb 16, 2013
    Supreme Chancellor Jar Jar Binks

Darkslayer and Teaviex Cue like this.
  6. markdeez33

markdeez33 Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 25, 2013
    I personally would love to see Lando Calrissian, but it's highly likely that Leia would be the chancellor.

If neither of those, I don't see Mon Mothma having a great shot at it, so I'm gonna say it'll be an "unknown"

7. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    Chief of State Ponc Gavirsom!

8. Teaviex Cue

Teaviex Cue Jedi Padawan

Dec 25, 2012
    News : "FIRST GUNGUN CHANCELLOR ELECTED IN REPUBLIC HISTORY"

Obi Wan : I have a bad feeling about this...

Sum-Wan likes this.
  9. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    I don't think there should be a Supreme Chancellor at all honestly (bit too odious after Palpatine). It should be President or something else and I really like the idea that another poster had that the new executive isn't elected by the Senate but by the people and the executive branch is separate from the legislative branch. The new government should try to reform the political insitutions of the old Republic and not fall back into the corrupt situation we saw in the PT.

Darkslayer likes this.
  10. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002
  11. Allana_Rey

Allana_Rey Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    Either Leia, Lando or Ackbar.

12. jedimikey

jedimikey Jedi Padawan star 2

Oct 21, 2012
    Another. Or Lando, perhaps. Not Leia...I think she should be an official "liason" between the Council and the senate. I don't believe for a second that the galactic senate would ever williingly allow a force-sensetive to have any kind of official position of power again.

13. V-2

V-2 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 10, 2012
    ..Or any offspring of Darth Vader.

Darkslayer likes this.
  14. StoneRiver

StoneRiver Force Ghost star 4

Oct 6, 2004
    No Chancellor, no Supreme Chancellor (That's how the empire started in the first place)

The new republic should be made up of independently governed galactic territories. Everyone has their own laws, rules and economies, but meet up, say bi-annually, to address matters that effect more than one territory. (The same way that the governments of Earth are supposed to work).

IMO.

15. Ichor_Razor

Ichor_Razor Jedi Grand Master star 3

Nov 6, 2004
    I voted Leia, but possibly Mon Mothma or Admiral Ackbar would make a good SC as well.

16. black_saber

black_saber Force Ghost star 5

Apr 4, 2002
    I voted for another. But I think leia would be a good pick!!!!!

17. Son of a Bith

Son of a Bith Jedi Master star 4

Feb 28, 2013
    I voted for "another."

I suppose in many ways Leia would be the natural pick, but I was always pretty bummed that she went the more political route (as opposed to devoting herself fully to becoming a Jedi) in the EU.

18. DARTHSHAME

DARTHSHAME Jedi Master star 4

Dec 19, 2003
    I think that by Episode VII Leia would have already been the Supreme Chancellor. I assume she will be closer to retirement by the time Episode VII starts. I say Lando or another.

19. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    I disagree. Ian McDiarmid was 53 or so when his character became Supreme Chancellor and Carrie Fisher is only 56 now. Obviously their ages could be slightly older or younger in the films (it's not like the films tell us their ages anyway) but I think Leia would be the perfect age to be the leader of the Republic. I would love it if the film indicates that she has spent the intervening years climbing the political ladder and has just now reached the top instead of just becoming Chancellor right away.

20. DARTHSHAME

Dec 19, 2003
    My point is that I feel that Leia, after her heroics at Endor, would likely have succeeded Mon Mothma earlier in the timeline, not 30 years after Endor. In politics, you typically go with the hot commodity and she would have been the obvious successor to Mon Mothma. I do not believe that she would have had to climb a long ladder. She had been fighting the good fight for years. It would have been like Eisenhower after WWII, he did not have to get elected to Congress first, before being considered for the Presidency. His service in WWII made him an instant candidate. The ST may go in another direction and she may only now be the Supreme Chancellor. I never implied that she would be too old for the role.

21. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    Okay, I misread your post and I apologize. :) I definitely see what you're saying now but perhaps she focused first on becoming a Jedi then her political career. I think it would be very interesting to see Leia as Chancellor and eventually have the Senate discover she's Force sensitive. After Palpatine there could be a lot of conflict there. I would love it if they included a subplot like that.

22. DARTHSHAME

Dec 19, 2003
    I also would like to see that play out. Not only is she a Force sensitive, but imagine a subplot where it is revealed that she is the descendant of Vader. That would be interesting.

23. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    Very interesting indeed. I see Darth Vader and Palpatine's legacy having a huge impact on the galaxy during the ST. Force using could even be banned by the Senate and Luke could be rebuilding the Jedi Order in secret. However it pans out I don't see the galaxy really accepting the Jedi (especially the offspring of Darth Vader) from the beginning. There will need to be much healing before that happens IMO.

DARTHSHAME likes this.
  24. SkywalkerSquadron

SkywalkerSquadron Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 2, 2013
    Land, with Lobot as an aide!

25. DARTHSHAME

Dec 19, 2003
    I totally agree. The legacy of Vader and Palpatine will have to be addressed. I suspect it will be an undercurrent to the ST plot. The revelation that Anakin Skywalker did not die, but instead became Darth Vader. Could be used by the villain to sow distrust in the government and the reemerging Jedi. I think the galaxy at large will be wary of the new government and this type of revelation could shake it to its foundations and topple Leia's governement. This would play into the villains hands.