main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Why was Anakin able to defeat Tyrannus so easily, when Obi Wan couldn't?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Sitara, Mar 3, 2013.

1. Sitara

Sitara Jedi Grand Master star 3

Oct 8, 2001
    The duel with Dooku at the start of ROTS was really really good. Much much better than the AOTC duel. Even better than Yoda vs Dooku. I really liked how Dooks made liberal use of the dark side in combat. Also, this is the only time in the entire SAGA that a Force Choke is so powerful that it makes the victim levitate in the air and is then flung away so hard he is knocked out cold. (though the lack of oxygen from the choke could also have done it) It shows that Vader was actually the weakest of all the Darth's in the entire SAGA (i.e. neither that strong in the Force, nor in Lightsaber combat)

However, how could Anakin defeat Dooku so quickly and easily, but then loose to Obi Wan later on? I completely agree that when you have two fighters of a similar caliber or even some variation in power and experience, victory to either one is not guaranteed at all. MMA fights have proved this. GRRM repeats a similar point time and again whenever queried about who the best warrior in ASOIAF is.

But even then, considering how easily Dooku took out Obi Wan, why didn't he do the same to Anakin? I know there is a popular theory that Sidious had tricked Dooku into saying he wanted to turn Anakin to the Dark Side. But...if so, how could Dooku be so stupid? Didn't he see what would happen if Anakin turned to the Dark? Didn't he know about the Rule of Two and the fact that Anakin was the chosen one?

2. Rawne

Rawne Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 2, 2008
    Anakin uses the dark side to overpower Tyranous. Like Luke used it in the Death Star II duel, except Anakin doesn't step back from the edge and more just jumps off the cliff.

3. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    Anakin uses power attacks that the old man couldn't stand against, and then sliced his hands off.

4. Luukeskywalker

Luukeskywalker Force Ghost star 5

Jun 23, 1999
    Anakin beats Dooku in ROTS because he has simply become so powerful. On the other hand, he can't defeat Obi-Wan at the end because he is too overcome with emotion, anger, and overconfidence. Remember by the end of ROTS he has gone off the deep end, which ends up being his undoing in that fight.

5. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    Wow, so ridiculous. You must have missed the parts where he easily read Lukes thoughts in the middle of combats, mentally hid his true intentions before Palpatine, levitated multiple objects with ease, creates some sort of force wind to push Luke outa the window at Bespin, senses when the death star is to be destroyed (the PT Jedi dangersense on the other hand was awful) and choked subordinates through view screens. There's a reason why OBW and Yoda chose to hide. It's because they knew they would be dead if they dared to crawl out of their holes.

6. thesevegetables

thesevegetables Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 11, 2012
    Anakin was more powerful than Obi-Wan, had more rage, and Dooku was a senior.

7. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Obi-Wan was also extremely familiar with Anakin, which almost certainly narrowed the ability gap, and explains their frequent blocks of special moves throughout the Mustafar battle.

I also have to disagree that Vader was weaker than Maul and Dooku, by a long shot. I can't think of anything that I could use to argue that Maul is more powerful than Darth Vader, suited and unsuited, and Dooku, while powerful, shows us a very small sample size, and is defeated by Anakin Skywalker at his peak, which is the closest comparison we have to Darth Vader at his.

Anakin took out Dooku because he was simply more powerful than him, and he taps his anger after Dooku taunts him, as the others have said. Obi-Wan did the same against Maul, and Luke did the same against Vader. Their otherwise flowing fight styles changes into short, powerful strikes.

8. FARK2005

FARK2005 Jedi Master star 2

Sep 3, 2012
    I thinks it’s problematic to use the final duel between Anakin and Dooku as an indication of Anakin’s true prowess: if Anakin had simply been “just another Jedi” for Dooku to dispose off, he would have gone into the duel with a different mindset and willing to use all of his skills and his powers to defeat his opponent. As it was, Palpatine wanted Anakin alive, so Dooku didn’t give it his all (unlike Anakin) which means he would have refrained from exploiting an opening or an advantage if there was a chance that it would be fatal to Anakin.

Couple that with the fact that Dooku grossly underestimated Anakin’s skill and power, you get this:

[​IMG]

9. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Anakin is more powerful than Obi-Wan

10. Sitara

Sitara Jedi Grand Master star 3

Oct 8, 2001
    Why did Obi Wan chop off all his limbs then?

TheMandalorian115 likes this.
  11. Rawne

Rawne Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 2, 2008
    Because Vader's an impetuous git blinded by rage?

More powerful =/= Will win 100% of the time regardless of context.

12. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Cause Anakin got cocky at the end

Darth_Pevra and rumsmuggler like this.
  13. LandoThe CapeCalrissian

LandoThe CapeCalrissian Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 30, 2012
    more powerful doesn't always mean everything.. Technically a lot of Jedi Sith are more powerful than Obi wan but id venture to say he would beat most..

14. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    Exactly. He was completely out of control, blinded by rage. This seems to be a common trend with new darksiders. Taming the raging volcano that is the dark side must be incredibly difficult. At the end, even Darth Sidious seemed to be completely swallowed by it.

Arawn_Fenn and rumsmuggler like this.
  15. BoromirsFan

BoromirsFan Jedi Master star 4

May 16, 2010
    I don't think Dooku was holding back. If Anakin was defeated by Dooku again, then his power would not be worthy to Palpatine. Palpatine probably knew Anakin wouldn't lose with the right push.

rumsmuggler likes this.
  16. StarChaser1874

StarChaser1874 Jedi Youngling

Mar 3, 2013
    Remember that one of the main themes of the series was stated/summed up by Luke on the Death Star II, " Your overconfidence is your weakness."

Also if you have read any of the books that deal with the duality of the Force, it is plain that the dark side is selfish and this causes the downfall of all Sith regardless of how powerful they are.

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  17. Joe

Joe Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 25, 2012
    Dooku was supposed to lose. The 'plan' was for Dooku to be captured by Anakin and arrested. Then, ROTS would have continued as normal, but Dooku could have come back and lead a new Jedi Order. What Dooku didn't know was that Palpatine was planning on having Anakin kill, not capture, Dooku.

ILNP likes this.
  18. GGrievous

GGrievous Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2005
    I would like to see Palpatine's reaction had Anakin lost the duel.

Darth Ibonek likes this.
  19. BoromirsFan

BoromirsFan Jedi Master star 4

May 16, 2010
    I don't think its as obvious as "Dooku was supposed to lose".

Anakin being the chosen one? No one has proof aside from midichlorian count. I think Palpatine instructed Dooku to fight to Skywalker with his all. If Anakin lost, then he would either die from his failure or be relegated to a ventress pawn.

Dooku was testing Anakin, most tests are supposed to be challenging! :p

20. The Supreme Chancellor

The Supreme Chancellor Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2012
    Nope, Palpatine clearly orders Dooku to kill Obi-Wan and allow Anakin to capture him.

ILNP and rumsmuggler like this.
  21. DRush76

DRush76 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 25, 2008

I agree with your answer.

I don't think so. In fact, I believe Dooku had expected to remain Palpatine's apprentice and was unpleasantly surprised by Anakin's defeat of him and Palpatine's order to have him killed.

22. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    He would continue with Tyranus for the time being since he had proven to be the best apprentice. The duel was a test to both.

23. GGrievous

GGrievous Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2005
    That's not what I meant. Was a joke. ;)

24. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Sorry then. Sometimes it's hard to get those on the internetz... :)

BoromirsFan likes this.
  25. thesevegetables

thesevegetables Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 11, 2012
    BECAUSE HE HAD THE HIGHER GROUND!

sg1A, Joe Antonetti and rumsmuggler like this.