main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit A/V The Force Awakens and the EU [TAGGED spoilers.]

Discussion in 'Literature' started by TypoCelchu, Oct 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi Comedian

Jedi Comedian Jedi Master star 3

Oct 27, 2012
    I laugh in the face of subjunction! [face_laugh]

2. CeiranHarmony

CeiranHarmony Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 10, 2004
    So now that Coop got me beard-ready... we need to pick a style:

[​IMG]

3. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    So... I think we can safely say that Episode VII will feature a Jedi Mind Meld of some description. :p

Summer Dreamer likes this.
  4. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    So, I am rewatching the entire Star Wars Saga in order on Blu-Ray. Which I haven't done in ages, especially with the Prequels. Having completed The Phantom Menace last night, I am now 100% convinced that I whatever Disney creates will be better. TPM is a visually stunning movie with horrible dialouge. If I chose to watch the movie on mute, I might like it better, but the wooden dialouge and strange turns of phrase just don't work. If the Sequel Trilogy captures the right blend of visual stunning, well written script, and good acting, I think we might have a true diamond.

It will be interesting to see how AOTC feels. At least the Blu-Ray edition is stunning to look at.

--Adm. Nick

TheRedBlade likes this.
  5. Jedi Comedian

Jedi Comedian Jedi Master star 3

Oct 27, 2012
    "BREAKING NEWS: Star Wars fan doesn't like the prequels"

"Also inside: films with good visuals, script and acting are generally better."

:p

6. CeiranHarmony

May 10, 2004
    if you ever thought the dialogue is bad, which I am not convinced of, then try the subtitles who differ often from the dialogue even :p

7. Tim Battershell

Tim Battershell Jedi Master star 5

Sep 3, 2012
    If you want to see subtitle hash, try the BBC 24 hour News! Usually loads of bloopers in the interviews!

CeiranHarmony likes this.
  8. CeiranHarmony

May 10, 2004
    tried them once... never ever again ;) but while we are talking subtitle fun... try foreign language subtitles.. those are even worse.. based neither on dialogue, nor foreign language dialogue, nor translation of original subtitles... I do not know how they do them but they must have fun doing so!

9. krtmd

krtmd Jedi Master star 4

Sep 5, 2012
    The Blu-Ray editions really are stunning. I expected them to be, but I'm still shocked when we pop one in to watch.

I'm with you on the dialogue. I'm pretty sure my least favorite word in the GFFA is "youngling". :p

TheRedBlade likes this.
  10. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Having seen it in fantasy novels written some time before AoTC or TPM, I don't have as much of a problem with it.

11. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    So if this rumor is true, the Yoda movie won't be made because Lucas quashed it.

Doesn't he have no ability to decide stuff like that any more?

12. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
    Does the word even exist (in a SW context) prior to RotS? I just remember AotC Yoda being all "truly wonderful the mind of a child is" and then BOOM, in RotS it's all younglings this, younglings that. Bleh.

13. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    I'm inclined to see it as Disney currently humouring him, as spin-off movies are years away, so they need to get EP7 done first before they actually make any definite commitments.

But when it comes to actually doing their first spin-off?

At that point, they aren't going to care what Lucas says, and will tell him he sold his rights years ago.

Ulicus likes this.
  14. FatSmel

FatSmel Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 23, 2012
    If he's even still alive

15. krtmd

krtmd Jedi Master star 4

Sep 5, 2012
    No, I think you're right. Takes me out of that scene with Padme and Anakin every time though. "You killed younglings..."

TheRedBlade likes this.
  16. Dawud786

Dawud786 Chosen One star 5

Dec 28, 2006
    It's in AOTC, too.

Summer Dreamer likes this.
  17. Zorrixor

Sep 8, 2004
    Yeah, I really hate that particular use of it too. It's just one of those linguistic sci-fi-isms that feel so horribly forced.

Sometimes things like that help with the world building, but other times its too self-referential [like in the scene you mentioned] and does more harm than good.

18. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    Most of them do, that aren't names or pieces of technology.

19. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    X-wing

20. jedimikey

jedimikey Jedi Padawan star 2

Oct 21, 2012
    Other comments on this thread and others got me thinking...even if this rumor is true, it may not be Jaina and Allana....! Wouldn't that be weird? There's no precedent for D/LFL to follow the EU...although, personally I think they should to some degree.

I'm one of those who likes to imaginatively speculate, and hope for the best...but the reality is, D/LFL probably could easily mess it up pretty badly.

On the other hand, I have "read between the lines" for many years when it comes to Star Wars (others do, too). Like this: Zahn and Lucas have been working pretty closely lately...Zahn has always stated that Mara was always meant to be Luke's wife...Thrawn trilogy rises to a higher canon...and so on...

For example; I knew Maul was going to reappear somewhere months before his official appearance on TCW (I actually assumed it would be in a comic series). I knew Mark would be asked to appear in Ep7 a long time ago, and that he happily said yes.

We just have to wait with our baited breath and wild imaginations, until we get some facts on the characters and stories, which won't happen for awhile yet.

21. Zorrixor

Sep 8, 2004
    Well, sometimes there's a decent effect in foregrounding something by using an unfamiliar lexical choice, but Star Wars never seems to know when doing so actually works. :p

22. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Makes as much sense as "F/A-18".

23. Lugija

Lugija Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2009
    Well kriff that, hopefully the sons of murglaks will realize that before it's karking too late. Sithspawn.

RC-1991, cthugha and Zorrixor like this.
  24. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
    Ah, yes, you're right. Yoda refers to the group he's training as "younglings" as Obi-Wan enters, doesn't he? I'd forgotten all about that.

TheRedBlade likes this.
  25. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    The scene where Obi-wan is mad at Anakin because he murdered children also known as younglings in a film meant for children, and Anakin's mad at Obi-wan because Obi-wans a meaney head :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.