main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Who is surprised Anakin isn't any stronger than he is at this point after season 5

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by darkchrono, Mar 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. darkchrono

darkchrono Jedi Master star 4

May 23, 2005
    Who is surprised that Anakin isn't any stronger than he is at this point. In ROTS he is so powerful that he is able to take out Dookuu but in the season 5 finale Bariss was able to put up at least a decent fight against him. It looks like there is a year at most until ROTS so is anybody else surprised they don't have Anakin any more powerful than he is at this point.

iLoveAnakin7 and Sable_Hart like this.
  2. 07jonesj

07jonesj Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2010
    The power of the Jedi/Sith has always fluctuated in SW to suit the situation. Just the way it is. With his duel with Barriss, it can be easily argued he was holding back, as he wanted her alive.

Huh, we've had two duels with Barriss in this show and both times the other participant was holding back against Barriss. Must be her feminine charms? :p

3. Zer0

Zer0 Jedi Master star 3

Sep 3, 2012
    Bariss is a Jedi Knight though, she's not weak. It's not like Anakin is terrible, I mean this was like his only duel all season. He'll mostly likely show off more next season.

4. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Anakin was holding back so he didn't accidentally kill her, so he is powerful, he has shown it

CaptainRex115 likes this.
  5. Sable_Hart

Sable_Hart Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 28, 2009
    Amen, brother. Alas, Star Wars writers have never been especially consistent in honoring the hierarchies they create. Granted, real world combat can defy such things depending on circumstance, environment, motivation, etc. but not as frequently as it has been here. Anakin should have trashed Barriss with impunity.

Jedifirefly5 likes this.
  6. TheAvengerButton

TheAvengerButton Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 2011
    Okay, lets put a stop to all this "X is supposed to be more powerful than Y" stuff that keeps going around.

Listen, in real life, just because someone may be considered stronger than another person or some team of people is better at some sport does not mean they are automatically going to stomp the opposition. There are so many other variables involved in these sorts of conflicts that its difficult to say for sure if the stronger person will always come out the victor. These things don't work like a video game where when your character/pokemon levels up then you are automatically the bestest ever.

So having said that, lets consider some reasons for why Bariss could have held her own against Anakin and actually think it through instead of relying on some sort of charts and statistics ideology.

Someone previously mentioned in the thread that he was holding back because he didn't want to kill Bariss. Good enough for me, the fight in the episode in question was already choreographed to demonstrate that taking on Bariss was not at all a problem for Anakin, demonstrated by the way he effortlessly finished the fight.

7. QuangoFett

QuangoFett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 11, 2011
    Did you just endorse Barrissoka 'shipping? :p

Ahsoka wasn't holding back against Barriss, though. Barriss seemed to be the one holding back slightly in that duel.

07jonesj likes this.
  8. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    I thought I watched an episode where Anakin beat the living daylights out of Barriss when she was not able to use her acrobatics on him.

Oh, and he also beat the stuffing out of Ventress.

In the same day.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  9. hlc88

hlc88 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    He would have had a harder time with Ventress if she'd actually had her lightsabers though :p

10. Spacecrawler

Spacecrawler Jedi Youngling

Mar 4, 2013
    I'd expect the fight to be difficult for him because he would be fighting the force's guidance. He more than likely wanted to snap her neck like a twig but he'd have to fight that urge in favor of bring her in alive.

11. Deputy Rick Grimes

Sep 3, 2012
    Pfffft, he still would have owned her :p :cool:

12. Jordan1Kenobi

Jordan1Kenobi SWC Jedi Draft Champion star 6 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 30, 2012
    Anakin owned Barriss, it just seemed like he wasn't even trying some of the time, and he didn't want to kill her, so he couldn't use all of his power, but considering she was a Jedi Knight that had turned to the dark side, he did a really good job.

13. Circular Logic

Circular Logic Jedi Master star 4

Mar 3, 2013
    I wondered why Anakin would want to fight Barriss with two blades, isn't he more proficient with one?

Oh well, Rule of Cool I guess.

14. InterestingLurker

InterestingLurker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2011
    Barriss was practically running away from him the entire fight.

15. Deputy Rick Grimes

Sep 3, 2012
    You don't know the power of Anakin Skywalker :p

16. QuangoFett

QuangoFett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 11, 2011
    Escape is her objective. She's certainly intent on killing Anakin, but even if she doesn't and if she just evades capture, that would still count as a victory for her.

She does get the upper hand for a few brief sections of the duel, notably when she kicks him over the side of the balcony into the training grounds. At other times, the balance of power swings back and forth, usually in Anakin's favour. His objectives are to overpower and apprehend her, which are more demanding than hers (killing him and/or escaping).

Similar with the Ventress fight, only her objectives exclude killing Anakin.

I still don't see how totally defeating a powerful former Sith Apprentice and fully trained Jedi Knight in the space of a few hours can be considered "weak."

17. Zer0

Zer0 Jedi Master star 3

Sep 3, 2012
    Still, when they clashed, Anakin wasn't getting the upper hand very much.

18. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Eh, after all the complaints about Obi-Wan, Anakin will now be the new Filoni favorite for getting his ass kicked in every episode.

Valairy Scot likes this.
  19. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    I can go for that! :p (For a change.)

Darth Ibonek likes this.
  20. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Valairy, you missed all the "Obi-Wan gets pwned by Dooku! LOL!" posts in the 3SA forum back in the day.

//off topic post but what the hell is on topic now that the season is over

21. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    I didn't miss those posts - gah, I was so :mad: over all these posts claiming Obi-Wan is a poor fighter - can't beat Jango (like folks are saying here as regards Anakin, he was fighting to capture a man who was fighting to kill), can't beat Dooku (duh, he was imprisoned AND fought in a battle beforehand, not to mention his style was not effective against Dooku's style), only lost to Anakin because Anakin made a mistake because no way Anakin wouldn't own Obi-Wan in a straight up fight...

So when TCW started the tradition of a weak Obi-Wan unable to finish a fight...I was not a happy fan.

And now the issue is the idiocy and stupidity of the Council for not trusting a padawan's word against the evidence - I've decided not to blow up over that.

22. Sable_Hart

Sable_Hart Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 28, 2009
    So you would be totally cool with Barriss or a similar figure beating Yoda?

23. darkchrono

darkchrono Jedi Master star 4

May 23, 2005
    That is Obi Wan's style of fighting. He isn't a super aggressive fighter and stays patient and waits for his opponent to make a mistake instead being aggressive and making a mistake himself. I think many of Obi Wan's fights where it looks like he isn't that strong are just planned that way by him. He was that way in the movies as well.

Valairy Scot and AvadaKenobi like this.
  24. Circular Logic

Circular Logic Jedi Master star 4

Mar 3, 2013
    Indeed. Such is the style of a true Soresu user. A supposed master of this form can potentially be "invincible."

QuangoFett likes this.
  25. HighlanderC

HighlanderC Jedi Master star 1

May 26, 2005
    Anakin needs to get a lot more powerful. A lot darker too. They need to portray him like fighting totally easy... something in the style of what we see in the hologram that obi-wan watches in ROTS or something similar to Neo on the Matrix. Economy of movement.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.