main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Walmart & Tunick... finito!

Discussion in 'Community' started by DarthTunick , Dec 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    I haven't been in any job search scenarios for more than a decade (knock on wood) but...seriously? You're now discriminated because of your email provider? I have never used my ISP's address because I'd rather use the same Hotmail (or rather Outlook now) email address I've been using for nearly a decade now. Who decides what is a disposable email address? I may ditch my ISP and still stick with my old email address because as far as I'm concerned, the ISP is disposable and the email address I've had since forever isn't. I can understand discrimination based on goofy or offensive email prefixes, but discriminating based on the e-mail provider itself is taking things a bit too far.

2. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    Employers discriminate for many reasons, e-mail providers being on the lower end of the absurdity scale.

3. Mortimer Snerd

Mortimer Snerd Force Ghost star 4

Dec 27, 2012
    I have the Porter Ranch Wal-Mart number saved on my phone. Now I'll have no need to call it.

4. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    I could get a job there and you could call me.

harpuah likes this.
  5. Mortimer Snerd

Mortimer Snerd Force Ghost star 4

Dec 27, 2012
    Aim high! If you do, I'll keep the number.

6. Rox

Rox Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 24, 2000
    Me too. I've definitely not called someone for an interview if their email address was not professional. I'd change it.

7. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    I wouldn't necessarily call it discrimination. Like it or not, we live in a technological age, and how you conduct yourself online can now be researched. It's very common for hiring managers to Google applicants and check out their Facebook pages. Your email address, again, like it or not, says a lot about who you are. You can either choose to appear professional, or you can choose to appear like a dip****. Would you show up for a job interview wearing an "I'm with stupid" t-shirt? No? Why would you put DarthDip****@aol on your resume?

Grand Admiral Strife likes this.
  8. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    I'll have you know Darth Dip****, although unfavoured by the other with lords had an excellent career as a claims adjuster.

9. SoloKnight

SoloKnight Jedi Master star 4

Feb 13, 2003
    Here's a question: I have a gmail account I use for resumes/school stuff/anything important. When I signed up 5 or 6 years ago, my first name/last name was taken, my first initial/last name was taken, my first initial/middle initial/last name was taken. Any attempts to add a number to those options seemed to be taken up to three digit combinations. I never understood this since my last name is very uncommon (the only people I've ever known with it are my relatives), but whatever. I ended up with first initial/last name/113.. Is having a random string of numbers on the end like that fine? I've never thought anything of it until now. I don't want an email through my service provider since I move around and switch providers to whatever my housemates currently have set up.

10. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    if you've been having trouble finding work for the last 5 or 6 years i guess you might consider changing it.

11. epic

epic Ex Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 1999
    re: e-mail, I agree with the Darth bit. it's just about appearing responsible. i'm not sure that having an aol account is that detrimental. it's more important to beef up your resume, i'd say.

Tunes, how about adding some more responsibilities to the sales associate position. I googled this (fairly exhaustive) job description for a Walmart Sales Associate - you can delete anything that you didn't actually do as part of your role, or wouldn't feel comfortable discussing as part of an interview.

Postion Responsibilities
    Provides excellent Customer Service by:
    Practising a 3 Metre Rule.
    Answering Customer calls promptly.
    Assisting Customers in finding merchandise.
    Answering register calls promptly.
    Operating the register when needed.
    Showing a high sense of urgency with all assignments.
    Following proper procedures for handling claims merchandise.
    Being knowledgeable about register operations.
    Providing assistance to the front end Associates with price checks.
    Remains knowledgeable regarding all areas of the store.

Softlines/Apparel Sales Floor Associates are knowledgeable about:
    -- Sizing and colouring.
    -- Hanging softlines.
    -- Rack rules.
    -- Fitting Room procedures.

Hardlines Sales Floor Associates are knowledgeable about:
    -- Cutting keys.
    -- Cutting chain.
    -- Cutting fabric.
    -- Mixing paint.
    -- Live Pet Department.
    -- Logging lawn mower sales.

Maintains a properly merchandised department through:
    Zoning the department.
    Ensuring the merchandise is properly signed and priced.
    Maintaining features.
    Following proper procedures for:
    -- Ordering.
    -- Clearance.
    -- Markups/markdowns.
    -- Signing/flagging/pricing/labels.
    Maintaining all risers properly.
    Maintaining modular labels.
    Replenishing back stock from warehouse bins.
    Being knowledgeable about items in the departments.

Practices safe work habits by:
    Cleaning all spills quickly.
    Following all safety and emergency policies and procedures.
    Keeping the floor clear of all objects.
    Properly using all ladders and ensuring they are not left on the sales floor.
    Following proper lifting techniques.
    Ensuring all displays are secured in a safe and proper manner.
    Ensuring Occupational Health and Safety Act guidelines are being followed properly.
    Ensuring stable stacking of merchandise.
    Using back support belt when necessary.
    Being knowledgeable about emergency and safety procedures.

12. epic

epic Ex Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 1999
    And for Inventory Team Member (again, this is probably too much, but you could utilise some of it):

Operations
    • Unloads merchandise from delivery trucks and places stock in the appropriate location such as the backroom and salesfloor.
    • Maintains accurate inventory controls by categorizing merchandise in bins by department, labeling overstock merchandise, scanning merchandise daily, adjusting inventory levels in the perpetual inventory system, and executing Company programs.
    • Utilizes handheld scanner to identify items needed on the salesfloor and retrieves merchandise from inventory bins, occasionally utilizing a ladder or power equipment, such as a power jack or sky lift.
    • Monitors area for signs of shrink and potential security risks, and contacts management and/or In-Store Loss Prevention when problems are identified.
    • Ensures a safe and clean environment by maintaining safety standards, such as stabilizing merchandise on risers, highwalls, and features; securing merchandise on displays; ensuring ladders are properly secured; removing empty pallets, cardboard, and trash from the salesfloor; and performing maintenance
      and cleaning which requires keeping floors dry, neat, and clean.

Merchandising
    • Communicates and responds effectively to Customer questions about merchandise, locates merchandise, and provides requested assistance, such as verifying in-stock and retrieving items from the backroom.
    • Maintains in-stock by properly delivering merchandise to the salesfloor and accurately stocking merchandise on racks and shelves and in bins and cases, including regularly bringing merchandise forward and restocking merchandise returned from other areas.

People
    • Demonstrates dependability and reliability by being punctual, working assigned shifts, and completing responsibilities in a timely manner.
    • Interacts politely and effectively with Customers and Associates by representing Wal-Mart Culture, including the Ten Foot and Sundown Rules.
    • Talks with, listens to, or signals others to effectively exchange information; receives or gives direction; and effectively works as part of a team by responding to assistance requests throughout the facility.

13. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Yeah... revise your resume. Use some effective action words along with what epic just gave you. You've got some grammatical issues in your resume. You need to stick with past or present tense... you sometimes say "assisted with," and then you turn around and say "assisting with." Tweak little things like that.

It all may sound ridiculous to you, but out economy is ****, and several people are competing for the same jobs, which means employers can now be very, very selective about who they interview. You want to secure an interview, and that wont happen if you've got goofiness in your resume.

14. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999
    The difference is, though, my email has no "Darth" or any SW/geek references, just my name. And thankfully in my case I've zero online presence as far as social networking goes. Regardless, who the actual email service provider is should not have any bearing. It is beyond absurd.

15. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    epic: I've made a few changes to the resume based of that post there... many thanks.

16. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Yeah, I agree... but there's nothing to be done about it. A gmail account is free and only takes a few minutes to set up. It's not like you have to go really far out of your way to make the changes.

17. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    Having no online presence isn't necessarily a good thing. Many employers would rather see a serious, professional LinkedIn profile or even Twitter feed than no information. It's also good for a jobseeker to be able to control their brand and ensure that the first hits people see for them on Google are things they've created and polished, not something from another source which might happen to make the jobseeker look bad.

18. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Yeah, something to show that you have at least basic computer skills is key. You can always lock down your profile with good privacy settings. Social networking isn't bad as long as you don't publicly post images of yourself doing bong hits and groping women.

19. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    one or the other is fine though, right?

harpuah and PRENNTACULAR like this.
  20. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Yes... less of a risk of spillage that way. Bong water is a bitch to get out of carpet.

21. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    How about groping a woman shaped bong?

harpuah likes this.
  22. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    I think that's OK since it's not technically sexual.

23. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999
    No women and definitely no bongs. :p

I've been in the same job long before MySpace came into being and I've never felt the need for any sort of online presence. I may have to soon, though, before I'm considered some sort of anachronism. :p

24. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    The hearing today in Pasadena went well... essentially the state had to re-confirm/make sure all my identification requirements were up to snuff. The most encouraging part was the judge's satisfaction after I told here that the EDD had already sent me a debit card, made 1 payment & sent another continued claim form. The judge's ruling will be sent via mail sometime in the next 2 weeks, so it's not 100% certain that my benefits will stop, but I'm fairly positive & confident that won't happen.

PRENNTACULAR likes this.
  25. Lady_Sami_J_Kenobi

Lady_Sami_J_Kenobi Jedi Master star 6

Jul 31, 2002
    Good luck, Tunick! I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.