main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena The Lance Armstrong doping saga

Discussion in 'Community' started by Juliet316, Jan 17, 2013.

1. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    Really good interview with Greg LeMond's wife.

2. yankee8255

May 31, 2005
    ESPN's Rick Reilly was one of Armstrong's staunchest defenders for years. Guess not so much anymore. He also tweeted his reactions during the Oprah interview.

Like Reilly, I really bought into the myth he sold everyone. Watched the tour, have a US Postal jersey (have to post the picture myself wearing it the day he won his 5th TdF). Really believed him, until that Alpe d'Huez time trial -- as I've said before, there's no way someone who is clean can annihilate competitors who are all doping like that. But I was still willing to forgive him. but the way he treated the Andreus, Emma O'Reilly, Greg Lemond (my first and now only cycling hero) and so many others is simply unforgivable.

3. Eeth-my-Koth

Eeth-my-Koth Jedi Grand Master star 9

May 25, 2001
    Was just watching Dodgeball and forgot about this scene. Hahahahahahahha

darthcaedus1138 likes this.
  4. LandoThe CapeCalrissian

LandoThe CapeCalrissian Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 30, 2012
    If I was Lance my official response to the media would've been to "mind your own f-ing business"

who the hell is anyone to deserve and apology from this guy..

Also the studies show the other direct competitors were all on the juice as well. So our juice head was better than all other juice heads. Who would've thought the TOUR would be this dirty of a sport.

5. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    You know he did a lot more than doping, right? A lot of very bad things indeed.

And "they were all doing it!" Is no excuse either.

6. LandoThe CapeCalrissian

Dec 30, 2012
    who cares, it doesn't matter to me nor does he owe me and 99.9% of the worlds public anything. Especially an apology....

and name the other "very bad things" he did as well.

7. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Now, I could go and get links regarding careers destroyed, bullying, bribing of officials and how he's tarnished the sport of cycling more Han anyone else, but as you say, who cares? So I don't see why I should bother, do you?

darthcaedus1138 likes this.
  8. Eeth-my-Koth

Eeth-my-Koth Jedi Grand Master star 9

May 25, 2001
    Didn't be sue and win millions from someone reporting he was doing PEDs?

9. LandoThe CapeCalrissian

Dec 30, 2012
    Like I said who really cares... besides the other best competitors were on the sauce as well, so the playing field was even.

Regardless of all that who the hell are the general public to need an apology. Is this earth shattering news, NO it isn't. It honestly doesn't matter at all, its a blip on the radar of importance if you ask me.

So in regards to that I don't need an apology and Lance should've told everyone to go scratch and sat home and enjoyed his hundreds of millions..

Also this man raised tons of money for cancer research directly cause of his TOUR wins.

10. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Yes, among other things. He's a grade A ****, really.

11. yankee8255

May 31, 2005
    I don't know, I'm pretty sure those people I highlighted care quite a bit.

12. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    yes, you've made it clear you don't. You done even know what Livestrong does.

13. SoloKnight

SoloKnight Jedi Master star 4

Feb 13, 2003
    While I agree in principle, that's not strictly true. For one, Lance was on the cutting edge of doping technology so he probably had more effective methods of cheating than other cyclists. For another, EPO affects people differently. From what I understand, it works by raising the hematocrit levels (volume percentage of red blood cells in blood.) The average level is men is 45%, but individuals obviously have different levels. Back when Lance was racing, there was no test for EPO, so cyclists' hematocrit levels were tested and couldn't exceed 50%. If your natural level was 48%, taking EPO to get to 50% is going to give you a smaller boost that someone who is naturally 44%. But yeah, everyone was cheating (you have to go back twenty some odd places to find a name that hasn't been linked to doping.) Now whether using EPO is worse than the guys who just were putting extra pints of blood in or popping testosterone pills, I dunno.

What I don't like is that cyclists are being offered a 6 month ban (instead of the standard 5 year ban) if they offer evidence against Lance. I think USADA and UCI need to be going after the team doctors and team owners who finance all this. Lance is taking the fall for the entire sport.

14. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    The Federal Govt. has joined the Post Office's lawsuit in trying to get the $40 million the PO gave Armstrong in Sponsorships, plus triple that amount in damages.

15. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    So, are the sponsors going to pass that money on to people who bought their products that were advertised with Armstrong?

16. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Yes, in the form of the continued existence of the United States Postal Service.

17. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
  18. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000

language warning!

19. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    The thing is, some of those product products and sponsorship money went directly to Armstrong's Livestrong charity. So unless you can make a direct claim that those in charge of the charity (besides, obviously, Armstrong, who has since left Livestrong completely), knew of Lance's doping and/or evidence that some of the money earmarked for Livestrong was funneled into Lance's doping activities, I very much doubt any money that went to Livestrong will ever be recouped.

20. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    "Some of"

21. yankee8255

May 31, 2005
    Just when you think your opinion of Lance can't get any worse, more revelations about Lance come out in a new book.

Going back to Lando's "who cares", well I do. I bought and read his autobiography, plus a US Postal cycling jersey. I feel like dumping both into the fireplace tonight.

Or, to summarize, Lance Armstrong was pretty much the biggest fraud in the history of sports.

22. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    I haven't been that invested in this story really, but this documentary, The Armstrong Lie, looks really interesting to me. I'll probably watch it when it screens at a small indie theater here next month.

23. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Is Bradley Cooper still attached to that one biopic they're making of him?

24. yankee8255

May 31, 2005
    Stephen Frears is doing a movie on him that starts filming tomorrow, but Ben Foster is playing Armstrong. That's going to use David Walsh's "L.A. Confidential" as its basis.

I want to try to catch that documentary too.

25. yankee8255

May 31, 2005
    I saw the trailer for The Armstrong Lie over the weekend, looks like they done a great job. W gave it B+ review, my favorite snippet: "... Not just because Armstrong comes clean for the camera, but because of the emotional detachment of his mea culpa. Is he only telling the truth now because every other avenue has been exhausted? That's certainly the impression you get here. Even when the jig is up, he comes across as a man who can't muster an ounce of honesty or humility."