main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Ignorance is Bias: The Diversity Manifesto

Discussion in 'Literature' started by CooperTFN, Sep 2, 2012.

1. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    Duloks are a separate species that are distantly related to ewoks, so ewoks aren't cannibals.

2. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I suspect you know the reason, and it's not a very reasonable one at that.

It's not our policy. It's an owner instruction -- and one that wasn't even created by the current owner, but a prior one, but one that hasn't been revisited no matter how much we ask for it. We thought the gay Mandos -- thereby proving that homosexuality "exists" in canon (a ludicrous thing to have to prove, but there you go) -- would do the trick, but nope.

3. Likewater

Likewater Jedi Master star 4

Dec 31, 2009
    Homosexuality in fiction is an odd thing to write around.

What do you depict?

A loving stable relation ship, in fiction that means someone is ending up in a refregierator!

A Dysfuctional relationship, might come off as anti-gay when it is the opposite you are going for.

A homosexual character not in a relationship, problematic because if the dry spell lasts to long other writers my forget the character is homosexual or simply assume they are aesexual.

In the New BSG Felix Gaeta, was said to be bisexual, but it was never shown in the series (the character was busy dealing with other things)

In Star Trek expanded universe it has been implimented sporadicly, but never between lasting couples. Unsuprising as Starfleet is military and reassignment and death of characters is common.

4. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    You could just depict it as a normal relationship.

Contessa, Goodwood, TrakNar and 4 others like this.
  5. darth fluffy

darth fluffy Jedi Master star 2

Dec 27, 2012
    Exactly. That's how you avoid unfortunate implications.

Contessa likes this.
  6. Likewater

Dec 31, 2009
    In fiction? some one always gets refrigeraterd.

7. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    What does Indiana Jones have to do with it?

krtmd, RC-1991, Gorefiend and 4 others like this.
  8. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    Since there's no management directive to do so that I'm aware of, I'd say that's irrelevant. The fact that it occurs often in fiction does not mean it has to continue doing so.

Contessa likes this.
  9. Likewater

Dec 31, 2009
    I ment in general fiction not, fan fiction, or slash fiction, or what ever its going by these days.

10. Adrian the Cool

Adrian the Cool Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    Now, I decided to write in this thread.

The fact most protagonist and main casts are white Human men or have one in them bothered me since getting into the Expanded Universe. The Star Wars galaxy contains 20 million sentient species of all kinds, Humans originating from Coruscant but looking like them on Earth are the majority of galactic population, guess 20%. But, dramatis personae often, as shown in the first post, contain ~30% white Human man in most cases, which logically would result in 60% white Humans, with other ethnicies ~65-70% Humans. Obviously something's not right there.

More diversity in SW would be really nice. More aliens, more women and more ethnicies. Besides characters more diverse stories and themes besides "Jedi vs. Sith" and planets having more than one terrain, one climate, one culture, three imports, two exports and not being treated like consisting of nothing but capital and spaceport.

But until people start looking over the edge the "standard video game character" will be common I guess.

11. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    Dident they just use recolored Ewoks in SWG for Duloks? Though who knows they might be really close like Neanderthal (which we apparently ate) and modern humans.

They just happen to only mention major ones :) of course most worlds will Import, Export and Produce all kinds of stuff.

12. MistrX

MistrX Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2006
    You could do all of those things, just like with any type of relationship. But yeah, a relationship can be normal and still have the characters have angst without being "dysfunctional".

13. rumsmuggler

Aug 31, 2000

14. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    We need more topics that talk about anthropophagy.

Gorefiend likes this.
  15. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Speaking as the founder of the diversity thread, I'm gonna go out on a limb and say SW doesn't need more anthropophagy. [face_not_talking]

TrakNar likes this.
  16. rumsmuggler

Aug 31, 2000
    There was one alien guy in a comic who ate children. I can't remember which comic it was.

17. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    That would be Dezono Qua.

A white Human male.

18. Mia Mesharad

Mia Mesharad Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    Dezono Qua, a Human, ate alien children in Dark Times: The Path to Nowhere. Sick bastard.

...as Trak beat me to.

Contessa and TrakNar like this.
  19. MistrX

MistrX Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2006
    Because he could. Definitely one of the more disturbing villains we've had. Dark Times indeed.

20. rumsmuggler

Aug 31, 2000
    Thanks. I forgot he was a whm.

21. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    You have to give that white Human male some credit, though.

He is an equal-opportunity diner.

22. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
  23. rumsmuggler

Aug 31, 2000
    Indeed he is. Too bad no one ate him in return.

24. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    Looking at him, he'd be all fatty and gristly. Who would want to eat that? Though, I guess if you cut him into strips and have him hickory-smoked to perfection, he might be pretty good...

RC-1991 and Goodwood like this.
  25. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    I'm not really privy to behind the scenes information at TF.N, so I'll take your word for it.

Don't take it personally, I heard you the first couple times you said it ;)

When Walmart refuses to carry the kind of popcorn someone likes no one says "Sam Walton's family won't carry the popcorn I like". I understand the staff of TF.N are innocent victims of circumstances beyond their control.

Mia Mesharad likes this.