main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books Dawn of the Jedi: Into the Void (Now the OFFICIAL, SPOILERS-ALLOWED release thread)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Lazy Storm Trooper, Sep 26, 2012.

?

Would you read this novel

1. Yes

114 vote(s)
    89.1%
  2. No

14 vote(s)
    10.9%
  1. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    I'm not going to buy the novel. I was expecting much from Dawn of the Jedi. I was very disappointed.

The Rakata act precisely like Sith Lords. The only thing that truly differentiates them from Sith is their name. So yes, it is indeed Jedi vs Sith conflict 1178. And while the Je'daii talk a lot about the balance between light and dark in truth they are conventional Jedi. They even have the same social structure, for heavens sake!

Darth_Foo likes this.
  2. Cronal

Cronal Jedi Master star 4

Dec 17, 2009
    I very much support your support of his support of this development.

Bib Fartuna likes this.
  3. Adrian the Cool

Adrian the Cool Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    Somehow you're right here. There's also the possibility DoTJ could retcon the Sith's origin and have them being founded ~25,000 BBY like the Jedi so all stories can be reduced to Jedi vs. Sith.

4. Esg

Esg Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    The Rakata barely had any facetime to begin with. Most of the time we've just been seeing their slaves. Not to mention we haven't even seen the Prisoners of Ashla

5. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    They are still "Sith" in a time when there shouldn't be any.

Prisoners of Ashla exist? Lok was the only one on Bogan or at least it seemed that way. What kind of Je'daii would be so lightside that he has to be banned to Ashla?

6. RC-1991

RC-1991 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 2, 2009
    I do have to admit that my main interest in this era is the foundation and expansion of the early Republic. I want the Tion War and the Unification Wars, dammit.

7. Adrian the Cool

Adrian the Cool Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    An entire comic series about the founding of a interstellar alliance and wars between galactic factions, about politics and military strategy, with no Force users nor simple good vs. evil scheme? Sounds to good to be true.

Darth_Pevra
    This entire "Jedi vs. Sith" story is getting boring, yes. It's like Battlestar Galactica - "All this has happened before. All this will happen again.", because most readers are happy with superhero-like Jedi fighting evil Force users doing evil things just for the sake of being evil.

And your right, the Je'daii have never been using the Dark Side so far, while Xesh is the regular Sith knowing nothing but the Dark Side of the Force his entire life long so far to get rid of it in a few ours during a small conversion with people from an unknown star system who speek a foreign language. Hm... rather unbelievable if you seriously think about it.

I really feat DotJ could retcon the creation of the Sith Order so new stories about the Unification War or set 15,000 BBY can be dumbed down to star nations fighting each other due to various political, economical and religious reasons... no, just joking, I mean Jedi vs. Sith!^^

Chrissonofpear2 and Darth_Pevra like this.
  8. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Since Jan and John depicted the creation of the Sith in VECTOR and other issues, with Karness Muur and Xoxaan being among the Dark Jedi Exiles in 7000bby, I don't think they'll contradict their own material.

9. Esg

Esg Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    The Sith species existed long before the Order

10. Esg

Esg Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    There are plenty of others on Bogan. And we'll probably find out

11. MistrX

MistrX Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2006
    I'd love to find out.

12. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Rori Fenn was apparently exiled to Ashla once, but we don't really know why.

13. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Conventional Jedi talk a lot about the balance between light and dark. See: the PT.

Ulicus likes this.
  14. MistrX

Jun 20, 2006
    Although for PT Jedi "balance" seemed to mean "no dark side".

15. Esg

Esg Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    Hell one was using force lightning in the second issue or so

16. Arawn_Fenn

Jul 2, 2004
    Nope. They never said anything of the sort. Balance does not mean all of one thing and none of the other. In fact, that would be the exact opposite of the meaning of balance, the most unbalanced it could get.

17. MistrX

Jun 20, 2006
    Obi-Wan seemed to say something very similar to that sentiment while screaming at about to be burned Anakin.

18. Arawn_Fenn

Jul 2, 2004
    I take "leave it in darkness" to mean "leave it unbalanced toward the dark" as opposed to "leave it with some dark".

19. MistrX

Jun 20, 2006
    Well, there's also Obi-Wan saying to Anakin and Mace and Yoda that "destroying the Sith" is what brings balance to the Force. Which implies to the casual movie viewer that eliminating the two dark siders in the galaxy is what makes that balance.

Oh, and as for this book, is there information of its place in the timeline vis a vis the series? Does it take place some time before the comic?

20. Arawn_Fenn

Jul 2, 2004
    Yes. That is correct. But the Sith are not the dark side. Destroying them does not destroy the dark side.

21. Lazy Storm Trooper

Lazy Storm Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Sep 18, 2012
    According to the timeline I use it is in the middle of the two arcs.

22. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    I've been puzzling over that, also. On the one hand, the fact that there's the emphasis on the hypergate being the only way out of the system seems to place it before the series (when they would know the "alien ship" was another alternative). But on the other hand, you'd think a plot like the hypergate one might get mentioned during the events of the comic as being a pretty big deal...

23. Lazy Storm Trooper

Lazy Storm Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Sep 18, 2012
    Well what I got out of the preview was that the hyper-gate was top-secret. I mean to a pre-hyperdrive civilization that would change alot and may just mess stuff up. Also why meet in a swamp if it was not to be a secret mission?

24. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    Pretty much. The Sith are about bringing "eternal night", whereas the Jedi are about making sure the sun rises in the morning and sets in the evening as nature intends.

"Death is a natural part of life", and all that.

Zorrixor and Mia Mesharad like this.
  25. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    Arawn_Fenn
    You are correct of course. But tbh I'm not even interested in discussing the different concepts of "balance" in the EU.

I don't mind Jedi vs. Sith if they do something daring with it. But these endless repetitions of the same yarn are tiresome.

What I bolded is true. I noticed this too. Turning from the dark side should be extremely hard, especially for someone raised in the conditions Xesh was raised.