main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Child born with HIV apparently cured.

Discussion in 'Community' started by Adam of Nuchtern, Mar 4, 2013.

1. Kyle Katarn

Kyle Katarn Force Ghost star 6

Jul 10, 1998

And again, good PR is a much more efficient and cost effective way of doing business than demanding people cough up thousands of dollars per year to live. Many drug companies already have or currently are donating HIV drugs and services anyway. Besides, the losses can easily be recouped by selling hair loss, erectile dysfunction, and other types of treatments which are elective. Donation of these drugs for research won't crimp a drug company's bottom line at all, these same companies easily recoup their losses by selling erectile dysfunction, hair loss, and other types of non-lifesaving products. Insisting that such a donation would hurt them financially would be woefully ignorant on their part and a potential PR disaster (something which wouldn't be in the interests of shareholders) were world of it to ever get out.

2. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    I retract my latest prediction. You would end in the bottom of the Hudson.

3. hudzu

hudzu Force Ghost star 6

Jun 1, 2003
    this is positive news.

jp-30 likes this.
  4. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    really? do you have proof of this? if its such a financial win-win, why arent they doing it?

i think you're talking out of your ***, brah. yet again

5. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    [​IMG]

God cured a disease that he created in the first place? Makes perfect sense!

V-2, Mortimer Snerd and VadersLaMent like this.
  6. GenAntilles

GenAntilles Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 24, 2007
    God did not create HIV. It was the sin of man that brought death into the world, therefore any disease is due to our creation.

Personally I thank God for the knowledge he gave to the doctors to bring this about.

7. Bacon164

Bacon164 Chosen One star 8

Mar 22, 2005
    ugh, shut up.

edit - i was going to edit to clarify, but this could apply to both of you.

Darth-Lando, Ramza, tom and 5 others like this.
  8. hudzu

hudzu Force Ghost star 6

Jun 1, 2003
    get em, bacon

9. Bacon164

Mar 22, 2005
    i'm like a hound. i sniff things.

10. GenAntilles

Jul 24, 2007
    No.

edit: Upon reviewing I see no reason to shut up. My post was in response to an incorrect statement which I attempted to address, followed by my own personal well wishes towards this very fortunate incident. Therefore your request that I 'shut up' has been considered and following a review of the evidence presented is denied.

11. Bacon164

Mar 22, 2005
    when i say i sniff out things, what i really mean is bs. you're a terrible person for crediting an omniscient deity with the work that thousands of doctors have invested their time in for decades. they didn't trip over a stick and find a magic answer handed to them by Jehovah.

also timmobullsphit is dumb for assuming that everyone posting on Twitter who believes in an omniscient deity thinks that God made HIV.

you're both saying really dumb things. an obvious answer to this problem would be to consider maybe not posting.

12. timmoishere

Jun 2, 2007
    Perhaps you didn't see the sarcasm in my post?

13. Bacon164

Mar 22, 2005
    I guess I missed it entirely. If you weren't accusing random (and in a sense, all) people thanking their god on Twitter of also believing that HIV was a disease unleashed by that god (when you've produced no evidence to verify that these random people on Twitter believe that), in which case your post is even more of an irrelevant attack on religious ideals where it's not warranted (and still not funny), then sawhrie. my b. guess i need some coffee.

14. timmoishere

Jun 2, 2007
    I was just pointing out the hypocrisy of people who praise God for when things go right, but don't blame God for when things are terrible.

Darth_Invidious, Lord Vivec and V-2 like this.
  15. darthhelinith

darthhelinith Force Ghost star 6

Feb 10, 2009
    But people do blame God when things go wrong.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    1. Incredibly difficult to see how that could wind up with him in jail for fraud. First and foremost because fraud requires the CEO to have misrepresented a material fact. What fact has he misrepresented? Plus, what prosecutor (remember, they're elected) is going to even bring that case, unless he/she really doesn't want to be reelected?

2. Regarding shareholder derivative suits, a suit is certainly possible, but almost certainly unlikely to succeed thanks to a wonderful little thing called the business judgment rule: as long as the CEO can state a business reason for for taking an action, and there isn't any self-dealing involved (eg the research facility to which the donation is made is owned by him or a close family member), the suit would fail.

The one thing the shareholders really could do is fire him, but even that would be rather involved. Shareholders don't appoint officers directly, they only appoint the board of directors. The board in turn appoints the officers. So the shareholders would have to at least pressure the board to fire him, or remove the board members and replace them with new members who would remove him. Have fun with that. And then get ready to pay him his astronomical severance deal/golden parachute/golden handshake.

Stick to mass murders and ancient roman history, respectively, and leave the corporate law to corporate lawyers.

Darth_Invidious likes this.
  17. Mortimer Snerd

Mortimer Snerd Force Ghost star 4

Dec 27, 2012
    [​IMG]

18. V-2

V-2 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 10, 2012
    Too many trolls in this thread.

19. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Reminds me of

Ex-Leper: Okay, sir, my final offer: half a shekel for an old ex-leper?
    Brian: Did you say "ex-leper"?
    Ex-Leper: That's right, sir, 16 years behind a veil and proud of it, sir.
    Brian: Well, what happened?
    Ex-Leper: Oh, cured, sir.
    Brian: Cured?
    Ex-Leper: Yes sir, bloody miracle, sir. Bless you!
    Brian: Who cured you?
    Ex-Leper: Jesus did, sir. I was hopping along, minding my own business, all of a sudden, up he comes, cures me! One minute I'm a leper with a trade, next minute my livelihood's gone. Not so much as a by-your-leave! "You're cured, mate." Bloody do-gooder.

20. GenAntilles

Jul 24, 2007
    You might care to siff yourself, you'll find you are speaking the most bs of anyone hear.

I am religious, that means there is nothing good that happens to me or anyone else that I do not give credit to God for. If you don't like that then tough. I'm not going to change my beliefs because your own intolerance and bigotry. You might like to know that this world is full of people who believe differently then you, as a civilized society we are to be tolerant towards those people.

So yes, I thank God for giving the doctors the knowledge, the skills, and the tools for allowing this happy occurrence to happen. If you don't like me saying that... well too bad for you.

[​IMG]

Honestly I'm surprised. I wasn't aware expressing happiness someone is cured of HIV warrants such contempt now.

21. Mortimer Snerd

Dec 27, 2012
    It isn't. Giving credit where it is NOT due is.

I like the pic though.

22. PRENNTACULAR

PRENNTACULAR VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2005
    And also, you contradicted yourself. You said that God didn't create HIV, and then you said he did.. You said that any disease is due to our creation. And according to you, who created us? God.

So maybe you should get a coherent and logical worldview before you come in here and try to piss everybody off.

And the doctors wouldn't have had to get the knowledge to cure this is God had God just not let AIDS happen in the first place. So I still don't see what there is to thank her for.

23. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Hey, I'm quite happy to be wrong. That's just not what I was taught -- using an example similar to this one -- by corporate lawyers.

But I'm also happy (very happy, in fact) to concede a lack of expertise.

You could've been a little nicer though. :)

24. GenAntilles

Jul 24, 2007
    Anything good that happens, God gets the credit. I take a step forward and don't die, God gets the credit.

Thank you.

God did not create HIV, man did by his actions. But if you credit God for that then I assume if you build a house out of wood you give credit to the farmer who planted the seed that grew the trees?

I have a coherent world view, if you find hearing it pisses you and everybody off then it is you and everybody else that need change. I for one, will not let other dictate what I believe just because they through a hissy fit anytime someone brings up the fact they have beliefs they don't. Because if saying 'thank God' for something like this gets someone that upset... it's them that needs to change.

God would agree with you, he never wanted there to be HIV in the first place, hence why there was no sickness and death until man rebelled. So again, our fault. But I am thankful I have a God who continues to bless this world with great minds capable of curing and treating such diseases.

25. Mortimer Snerd

Dec 27, 2012
    [​IMG]

Arawn_Fenn and Diggy like this.